Ballyneal

berrykicker34

So I was blessed enough to have the opportunity to play Ballyneal a couple weeks ago. To answer some of the questions that will come next, I wrote a brief email describing myself and why I wanted to play Ballyneal back in March and received a quick reply within a day asking me to check back in August. So August arrived and I checked back in and was awarded a twosome at 9:10am.

I was staying in Denver for a wedding and drove up early the day of my visit. It was a 3.5 hour dive to Ballyneal with construction traffic slowing me down on a two lane road. The last 10 miles as your nearing the course is a dirt road. It quickly added to my excitement knowing it was such a remote area of the US. As you arrive onto the property you see a small sign welcoming you to Ballyneal. The sign fits the property well and probably doesn't distract the farmers as the drive by on their equipment.

Once I arrived I was greeted and shown around. I payed my $250 greens fee with a credit card which was allowed for all purchases except caddie fee and tip. The $250 payment gets you unlimited golf for the day which I thought was a great value later that day when I was driving home.

Ballyneal has an average driving range (just not very big) with no short area I could find. However the practice putting green made up for it all. The green is in the center of the 'village'. Perfect location on the property and reminded me of the Punchbowl at Bandon but not as big ( they use it as the same concept, with places to hold drinks as you have a putting challenge with your buddies) the facilities are grand but also fit naturally with the lay of the property. They have what seems like hotel style rooms below the restaurant and also a couple cottages on property.

I played as a single and was paired with a great senior caddy that has worked at Ballyneal for years. She was fantastic and wanted to remain un-named if I wrote a post. She has lived in the area for what she said as 'forever' and really took pride in her track. Side note I know I've read where some people has gotten below average caddies at Ballyneal but mine was great. I saw a lot of young caddies and they all where double bagging so I can bet I received a lot more personal touch as a single.

Two negatives on the day that really aren't complaints but I had to start on the back nine due to a lot of foursomes teeing off on the front. Secondly, there are no yardage markers (I know caddies are used but when I went out for round number two I didn't have a caddie) Both small issues but wanted to share.

Doak is a genius as he designed a course that fits the land and area perfectly. Wide fairways are generous but if you miss you will be penalized. Greens are firm and rarely show ball marks. Bunkers are some of the best I've played they look like they have been there for years and created by the wind itself.

Another fun point as mentioned on the tread before there are no set tees. You play the tee box you want to play. Also mentioned before the members play the winner of the last hole gets to choose the next hole's tee box. Lastly, wanted to mention there is no OB everything is in play. I would be an idiot not to mention the really difficult greens Doak created. To protect each hole he created large greens that roll true but provides a great challenge to a new visitor like myself. Many times I found myself 3-4 putting due to the drastic changes in the greens.

I noticed after the round that the back nine is much harder than the front. The front for me was more picturesque than the back with more elevated tees and better looks at the entire property. I never saw or ran into another group the entire round.

After the round I ate lunch in the restaurant that overlooks the practice green and first hole. Food was good and priced fine.

I went back to the pro shop to ask my options on getting back out and he said it's wide open I could choose so I took my luck with no caddie on the back nine. I quickly realized it was a much harder walk than my first trip with a caddie. The temperature was into the low 90s with not much wind at all. So I ended with 9 more holes and decided to play the new par three course.

I didn't get much information on the par three but my caddie said she believes Doak didn't come back and design the par 3. It's hard to track the route so they have made a map on the back of the score card to help guide you. The course is weaved between the regular holes on the front 9. Also it doesn't start at the clubhouse you have to play hole one on the main course to get to the par 3 course. There is only two or so holes that are over 150 in distance but was a lot of fun playing. Each tee box is elevated which adds even more fun.

I really enjoyed the opportunity to play Ballyneal. Doak designed a fantastic track that's playable and scenic. It's eye candy to your eyes as soon as you arrive. Don't pass up the chance to play Ballyneal.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you post like 50 pics in this thread OP? Ballyneal is on my bucket list.

Also, do the members live in the area? I wonder what initiation fees are. Trying to figure out how successful I need to be in life to realize all these goals.

I took some pictures but having trouble uploading the pictures from my phone. I never heard anything on initiation fees or monthly fees. My caddie said most memberships are national members that make a trip to Ballyneal a long weekend trip. Also said that some locals bought in early and have greatly benefited when the club became nationally known.

I had an opening and posted the night before but no takers. Its so remote makes a day notice almost impossible to accomplish unless you live near-by.

Just returned from a trip to the chop hills. I have been fortunate to make a similar trip the past 5 years. As it relates to Ballyneal, I was impressed. In my trips the past years I had a few criticisms, mainly with the greens. It seems they struggled to grown grass and to have consistency with how the ball rolled/speed. This year I almost skipped this leg of the trip, glad I stuck it out. Finally after seeing grass on the 7th green I told my caddie how impressed I was with this 2017 BN. She stated that the new head pro and super are the real deal, they came over from San Hills where they were groomed for over 10 years. Word on the street is that these two had options to go to a number of prestigious clubs but are from the are and found this a good opportunity.

18 hole course, best shape I have ever seen it. Looked cleaner but not manufactured, bunkers and greens were dramatically improved. Just a fun place to play golf, it is a tough walk and you must walk (no carts).

Par 3, much more fun than I imagined. Greens need to mature as they are still slow (rolling at around a 7 IMO vs. course rolls around 9 or 10 IMO). A unique Par 3 very different than Bandon or Bluejack National. Fits this facility well.

I did not think I would use the putting course but there we were at 11PM, playing $1 hammer while the staff brought us drinks.

Truly impressed with playing surface, first time I can say that about visiting Ballyneal the past 5 years.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

I'm fortunate enough to be a long term member of Ballyneal. I'm glad that you had a nice experience. Just to clarify, the par 3 course was designed and built by Tom Doak and his team at Renaissance Design. It's worth noting that it's called The Mulligan course, named after the club's first caddie and resident historian Charlie Mulligan, who passed away last year.

I agree with the other post that the club has had a great year in 2017 and is trending in the right direction. I look forward to playing it for many years to come (I'm going in three days, actually)

• 4 months later...

Planning a trip to Ballyneal but wondering whether to go further on to play Wild Horse, Dismal River and The Prairie Club or to come back to Denver and play Fossil Trace, Bear Dance and Red Sky etc ? Does anyone have an opinion which is the better group of courses? Or to put it another way which courses in the Denver area compare with the Nebraska ones.

Planning a trip to Ballyneal but wondering whether to go further on to play Wild Horse, Dismal River and The Prairie Club or to come back to Denver and play Fossil Trace, Bear Dance and Red Sky etc ? Does anyone have an opinion which is the better group of courses? Or to put it another way which courses in the Denver area compare with the Nebraska ones.

Yes! I did this and it was a great trip. Do them all! :)

I guess the question is do you mind a lot of driving, how much do you like links golf and how long is the trip? If you're really coming from Australia, you should send a letter to Sand Hills and see if they will let you on there. They've been known to let people on once in their life unaccompanied and coming from overseas you should have a good shot. From Denver it's a long way out to the Nebraska courses. If you really like links golf or you can get on Sand Hills, go play the Nebraska courses.

Also be aware that Ballyneal/Sand Hills are really special and I think better than the others on your list (again assuming you like links golf). If you try to jam in a bunch of those courses in a short time with all that driving and assuming you have the option to spend multiple days at Ballyneal/Sand Hills, you may be kicking yourself for not doing that.

Thanks Dancin, yeah if my letter to Sand Hills (sent it a few weeks ago) hits the spot then it will be full steam ahead out there and maybe play a round or two at PC, DR and WH as well. If not we might just come back to Denver and play all the good courses around there. We probably have 2 weeks max to fit it all in.

Thanks Dancin, yeah if my letter to Sand Hills (sent it a few weeks ago) hits the spot then it will be full steam ahead out there and maybe play a round or two at PC, DR and WH as well. If not we might just come back to Denver and play all the good courses around there. We probably have 2 weeks max to fit it all in.

Yes you should be fine. If you were trying to jam all that in a week you'd probably want another vacation when you got home with all the driving in between. If you really like links golf, I think that will be better than playing the public courses in Denver. Fossil Trace is very polarizing. Engh went a little crazy there. I play it about once or twice a year. Even if I got resident rates, I don't think I would enjoy playing that course all the time since it is so tricked up. Bear Dance is a good track as are the Red Sky courses.

• 4 weeks later...

I was lucky to spend a couple of days at Ballyneal a few years ago thanks to a member who shall remain nameless. As I told him after my visit, I felt like I'd gone to golf Nirvana. Here are a few photos of the front nine. However, no photos do the place justice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157631925736869 Ballyneal Pix

8154068050_659918066f_c.jpg

Balllyneal #1 appraoch from right

40595389454_92c14475e7_c.jpg

Balllyneal #1 view back to tee and Terrapin -

8154032665_6f8548df0e_c.jpg

Ballyneal #3

8154013596_987ba3c15c_c.jpgBallyneal

#4 from tee

8154029189_c1272f014b_c.jpg

Ballyneal #4 fairway Perhaps the OP's Caddie?

8154054138_4b2cb6d318_c.jpgBallyneal

#5 par 3

8154053540_81c6809449_c.jpg

Ballyneal #6

8154049780_998f76e081_c.jpg

Ballyneal #7 short of green

8154064740_c5fda6e34d_c.jpg

Balllyneal twilight round #8 view from behind green

Sabram, how many courses have you played? I'm trying to get to 20+ new courses per year and it is just tough.

I've played 750+ I used to keep a list but lost it a few years ago when my computer crashed. I started photographing courses about 10 years ago and have now taken pix of about 400. I travel a lot and always take my clubs so get between 20 and 50 new courses each year. Most of them are not famous, but I love the variety and the people I meet. I'm planning a week in Montana and Idaho next. There are a lot of places that are more photogenic than Ballyneal, but not many where I'd rather play.

Love the par 5 4th. Members will hit their tee shot and then hit over to 7 green for a quick 6 hole loop.

The first 3 holes get you warmed up, but when you get to the teeing areas on # 4 and can see the chop hills that seem to go on forever to the horizon you reach another level. Like one of Maslow's "peak experiences "

awesome photos? what kind of shape was the course? Grass doesn't look like ANGC, but I'm sure it isn't supposed to.

I'm pretty sure its fescue. It looked and played more like a links than Augusta. It's too hot in Georgia for fescue.

It is fescue, but they were changing it over to bent greens when I was there a couple years ago. Fescue does horrible in the hot sun there. The greens can be really bumpy. Not sure what the fascination is with fescue from Doak but my caddie said Doak required it for him to the design. Even at Chambers Bay, fescue was a poor choice.

Sabram, how many courses have you played? I'm trying to get to 20+ new courses per year and it is just tough.

I've played 750+ I used to keep a list but lost it a few years ago when my computer crashed. I started photographing courses about 10 years ago and have now taken pix of about 400. I travel a lot and always take my clubs so get between 20 and 50 new courses each year. Most of them are not famous, but I love the variety and the people I meet. I'm planning a week in Montana and Idaho next. There are a lot of places that are more photogenic than Ballyneal, but not many where I'd rather play.

Nice what courses in Montana and Idaho? I'm going to try and get to some more in New Mexico and Wyoming this year. Are you a panelist for any of the magazines?

I did this trip in 2016, spent 3 days/nights at Ballyneal before heading to Sand Hills where we stayed onsite and played all day from sunrise to sunset then drove back to Denver that night arriving around 2am. Golf heaven out there. However... It is extremely remote and the drive is far more difficult than you will expect, from memory it took us around 3.5hrs to Ballyneal and another 3.5 from there to Sand Hills.. from Holyoke to Mullen there is basically nothing... make sure the car is full of gas when you leave Ballyneal..... I took around a thousand photos those four days, make sure the camera has lots of storage..About as far away from Australia as one can go for golf, Bandon was easy compared to this.

Thanks Kenny, a quick look and I see that Denver/Ballyneal/Sand Hlls would be roughly 600km/350 miles. Piece of cake!! Perhaps the road not so good? But we will do it if Sand Hills come through, and also if not!! Dismal River and Wild Horse sound great. After the Ballyneal pictures above, I am keener than ever to make the trip. As you say its about as remote as you get. But the Cabot courses in Canada might give it a run.

Thanks Kenny, a quick look and I see that Denver/Ballyneal/Sand Hlls would be roughly 600km/350 miles. Piece of cake!! Perhaps the road not so good? But we will do it if Sand Hills come through, and also if not!! Dismal River and Wild Horse sound great. After the Ballyneal pictures above, I am keener than ever to make the trip. As you say its about as remote as you get. But the Cabot courses in Canada might give it a run.

The drive to Ballyneal from the Denver airport is easy. All highway for about 2 hours and then 30-45 minutes of two lane road that is in good shape passing through a couple small two block farm towns. The final 7 or so miles is dirt roads through farm fields. Unless it rained right before you get there those are usually fine. If it poured right before you arrived you may have to head further south on 385 and come up to Ballyneal from the south as the northern dirt roads often get flooded, but that is only right after a big rainstorm.

The drive to Sand Hills from Ballyneal though is mostly country roads. Not bad shape but there is nothing around for very long stretches.

awesome photos? what kind of shape was the course? Grass doesn't look like ANGC, but I'm sure it isn't supposed to.

I'm pretty sure its fescue. It looked and played more like a links than Augusta. It's too hot in Georgia for fescue.

It is fescue, but they were changing it over to bent greens when I was there a couple years ago. Fescue does horrible in the hot sun there. The greens can be really bumpy. Not sure what the fascination is with fescue from Doak but my caddie said Doak required it for him to the design. Even at Chambers Bay, fescue was a poor choice.

The original Ballyneal greens were mostly fescue with a little bit of bent. They are moving to more bent. The fescue fairways have always been fine, but at green heights the fescue couldn't survive the days of 100 degree heat in the summer. The fescue did keep the poa out of the greens for 7 or so years and it was awesome for links playability when both the fairway and the greens were the same grass type as you would often be unable to tell where the fairway ended and the green started. The new super from Sand Hills is doing an amazing job though as the greens last year were awesome. The goal out there is to give the grass just enough water to keep it healthy. Consistently firm and fast playability is the goal with no concern for looks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Heading here in August and looking forward to our 2 days of golf there!

Enjoy my friend! It's on my bucketlist!

TM '17 M1 440 9.5° Diamana Tensei White 70TX
TM '17 M1 15° Rombax P95x
TM '17 M1 18° Accra Tour Zx 4100
Callaway Apex '19 20° Hybrid HZRDUS Black 105x
Callaway RAZR X Forged 5-6, MB 7-PW KBS C-Taper 130 X
SM7 Jet Black 52F, TVD 56K, SM6 Jet Black 60K DG Black Onyx S400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S Flat Cat Tak Svelte

Nice what courses in Montana and Idaho? I'm going to try and get to some more in New Mexico and Wyoming this year. Are you a panelist for any of the magazines?

Sorry fro the belated response. I played:

Circling Raven

The Club at Rock Creek (ID)

Coeur d'Alene public

Galena Ridge

Shoshone

The Ranch

Canyon River

Rock Creek Cattle Company (a Doak and comparable to Ballyneal)

Trestle Creek

Indian Canyon

Creek at Qualchan.

I posted a few pix in the "post your pix" thread

PS - Not a rater. Just an avid golf traveler looking for places to retire