Do We Overthink the Swing?

Handicap index in the mid 8's. Go on a little golf trip this week and shoot 86, 85, 82. Get home and yesterday's front nine was a bad 44. Say f... it, I'm just going to hit the ball as hard as I can. Don't care about anything or don't think about anything else. Bogey 18 for a 37. Come out today with the same thoughts and shoot 76 with 2 3-putts and a bad double bogey on a par 5.

For 27 holes, I'm 5 over par with absolute no swing thoughts except hit the damn ball as hard as I can.

Someone tell me why?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of things happen during a golf swing. If we can get all the good things to happen and all the bad things not to happen with just one simple swing thought, well that’s great. Even when we can, though, the elements fluctuate. Even the one element we’ve been consciously cuing can fluctuate. When that happens, things start to go wrong. At that point, we have to think differently, analytically. We take stuff apart, find out what changed, what stopped working and what creeped in uninvited. To many, this is ‘over thinking’. In my view, it’s only halfway. Once you get all the details worked out, you still have to put them all back into one ‘clump’ and find another simple cue that’ll get them all humming again.

Analyzing how it all works and understanding how to put it together is a different type of thinking from the reactive impulsive thinking one needs to execute the product of all that understanding

A lot of things happen during a golf swing. If we can get all the good things to happen and all the bad things not to happen with just one simple swing thought, well that's great. Even when we can, though, the elements fluctuate. Even the one element we've been consciously cuing can fluctuate. When that happens, things start to go wrong. At that point, we have to think differently, analytically. We take stuff apart, find out what changed, what stopped working and what creeped in uninvited. To many, this is 'over thinking'. In my view, it's only halfway. Once you get all the details worked out, you still have to put them all back into one 'clump' and find another simple cue that'll get them all humming again.

Analyzing how it all works and understanding how to put it together is a different type of thinking from the reactive impulsive thinking one needs to execute the product of all that understanding

Is that not what I said ;)

A lot of things happen during a golf swing. If we can get all the good things to happen and all the bad things not to happen with just one simple swing thought, well that's great. Even when we can, though, the elements fluctuate. Even the one element we've been consciously cuing can fluctuate. When that happens, things start to go wrong. At that point, we have to think differently, analytically. We take stuff apart, find out what changed, what stopped working and what creeped in uninvited. To many, this is 'over thinking'. In my view, it's only halfway. Once you get all the details worked out, you still have to put them all back into one 'clump' and find another simple cue that'll get them all humming again.

No.

No.

Well, I have had 2 large margaritas so I wasn't sure :taunt:

No.

Well, I have had 2 large margaritas so I wasn't sure :taunt:

Well, don’t stop there, dude! Have another, or five.

Yes we do.

It's okay to have swing thoughts early on when you're making some changes. But eventually those swing thoughts should dissipate and it should be more of a sensing of what you have to do. It's not completely unconscious, but it's a sense of how you have to move in order to produce the shot.

It's much like learning to type. When I first learned, I was taught the letters first. Then consciously thinking the letter for each word. Then eventually I could have the word I wanted to type and sense what motion(s) I would have to make with my fingers to to type the word. And if I mis-typed a word, I could immediately sense something wasn't right.

With the golf swing, it's like many people are stuck by thinking of each letter in a word and typing it. Even worse, they think that is the only way to do it and have no end goal of doing it virtually unconsciously.

The issue is not the complexity of the teaching, it's the inefficient way of learning.

RH

Yes we do.

It's okay to have swing thoughts early on when you're making some changes. But eventually those swing thoughts should dissipate and it should be more of a sensing of what you have to do. It's not completely unconscious, but it's a sense of how you have to move in order to produce the shot.

It's much like learning to type. When I first learned, I was taught the letters first. Then consciously thinking the letter for each word. Then eventually I could have the word I wanted to type and sense what motion(s) I would have to make with my fingers to to type the word. And if I mis-typed a word, I could immediately sense something wasn't right.

With the golf swing, it's like many people are stuck by thinking of each letter in a word and typing it. Even worse, they think that is the only way to do it and have no end goal of doing it virtually unconsciously.

The issue is not the complexity of the teaching, it's the inefficient way of learning.

RH

Great analogy.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Yes we do.

RH

Drat, I'm a world-fast typist, and not a great swinger of the golf club. :)

Handicap index in the mid 8's. Go on a little golf trip this week and shoot 86, 85, 82. Get home and yesterday's front nine was a bad 44. Say f... it, I'm just going to hit the ball as hard as I can. Don't care about anything or don't think about anything else. Bogey 18 for a 37. Come out today with the same thoughts and shoot 76 with 2 3-putts and a bad double bogey on a par 5.

For 27 holes, I'm 5 over par with absolute no swing thoughts except hit the damn ball as hard as I can.

Someone tell me why?

Best two rounds of my life occurred when we were trying to beat the dark and it was just step up and swing on every shot.

Yes we do.

RH

Do you think people get too caught up in details, or a particular detail, before they’ve gotten a decent hold of the overall idea?

My question reminded me of this. A friend of mine was playing with some big hot head. The guy lost it, at one point, smashing his club on the ground. My friend said “it’s not the club, it’s you!” Looking at my friend with the look of sudden, stunned realization on his face, the guy asked “what am I doing?” “Well, you’re missin’ the ****in’ ball”, my friend responded.

Swings thoughts and swing mechcanics are two different things

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

we are our own biggest enemy because of the negative thoughts we put in our mind. They might not sound like negative thoughts but anything that puts pressure on you and takes away from your performance can't be a good thing. I play my best golf when I just let go of of my negative thinking and let my natural abilities take over. I disagree with your thought on just hitting the ball as hard as you can, cuz that's not what comes from a good golf swing or creates one.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Someone tell me why?

One of the greatest swing thoughts I use and still use is to say under my breath while exhaling "I don't care" or "I'm content with the outcome" during the swing. It's thinking about not thinking. If you can be content at impact your butt cheeks will not clinch and your eyes will not squint. When you get good at it it just becomes how you golf. Yes I'm thinking, but I'm placing my mind where I want it.

Someone tell me why?

Yes

/Thread

Do you think people get too caught up in details, or a particular detail, before they've gotten a decent hold of the overall idea?

My question reminded me of this. A friend of mine was playing with some big hot head. The guy lost it, at one point, smashing his club on the ground. My friend said "it's not the club, it's you!" Looking at my friend with the look of sudden, stunned realization on his face, the guy asked "what am I doing?" "Well, you're missin' the ****in' ball", my friend responded.

There's a myriad of problems average golfers have. One is getting blatantly incorrect information. But the other is that their objectives are all screwed up. The objective with learning new mechanics is to implement those new mechanics without having to actively think about them, before and during the swing so you can repeat those new mechanics that should improve your ballstriking.

Most golfers, even good ones, think that the goal is to come up with a swing thought/visual and they can just use that thought/visual and it will allow them to repeat the swing mechanics they want. That may work here and there, but over the long haul it's a recipe for inconsistency. Like the typing example, it would be like somebody who just wants to think of every letter when they type instead of the end game of typing the entire word without actively thinking about it. Going letter by letter is slower and less accurate.

It doesn't mean that you shouldn't have discussions or be curious enough to learn about the nuts and bolts of the swing. It's just that going into swing mechanics detail has its own purpose.

I think it's silly that people think that we shouldn't use correct terminology and should always speak in layman terms. But if you're going to learn more in detail of the mechanics...do it to understand what and why you are changing your swing. I say you should never make any changes in your swing unless you have a good and detailed reason for doing so. Otherwise, you don't understand what you're doing and you're likely just making a change for cosmetic reasons.

Once you make the change, it can be helpful to understand the entire motion process involved. You can even initially come up with swing thoughts/visuals...but with enough reps of quality practice, those swing thoughts/visuals should dissipate and it should be more of a sensing of the motion you want to make instead.

Most golfers tend to know very little about the swing changes they want to make and often end up doing it for aesthetics. Then they focus on swing thoughts/visuals and never get out of that mode and essentially chase that feel./visual that works for them some days and doesn't work for them on other days.

RH

How many times have you walked up to the ball after a bad shot and just took a swing and had the best shot of the day? That answers the question for me

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

I watched two golfers at the range tonight. One was a college golfer, the other a high school golfer. Both were obviously very good golfers.

At the end of their range session they both started doing a drill where they took a couple steps into the ball and swung. I'm not talking about the put your feet together and then step as you hit. I'm talking full-on Happy Gilmore.

They were hitting the most beautiful, penetrating baby draws. If you just saw the shot, you'd swear there was a PGA Tour player hitting.

As I stood there and watched, I thought "Uh huh. As these guys are stepping and swinging, how much thought do you think they're putting into how bowed their wrist is at the top or whether their left hip bumps to start the downswing?" Zero. They're stepping and letting the club swing to a target without a care in the world for mechanics.

Over thinking is so destructive to my shot. The best way to end up in a hazard off the tee is to worry /over think about the hazards.

So, overthink the fairway.

you might have something there?

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Do you think people get too caught up in details, or a particular detail, before they've gotten a decent hold of the overall idea?

My question reminded me of this. A friend of mine was playing with some big hot head. The guy lost it, at one point, smashing his club on the ground. My friend said "it's not the club, it's you!" Looking at my friend with the look of sudden, stunned realization on his face, the guy asked "what am I doing?" "Well, you're missin' the ****in' ball", my friend responded.

There's a myriad of problems average golfers have. One is getting blatantly incorrect information. But the other is that their objectives are all screwed up. The objective with learning new mechanics is to implement those new mechanics without having to actively think about them, before and during the swing so you can repeat those new mechanics that should improve your ballstriking.

Most golfers, even good ones, think that the goal is to come up with a swing thought/visual and they can just use that thought/visual and it will allow them to repeat the swing mechanics they want. That may work here and there, but over the long haul it's a recipe for inconsistency. Like the typing example, it would be like somebody who just wants to think of every letter when they type instead of the end game of typing the entire word without actively thinking about it. Going letter by letter is slower and less accurate.

It doesn't mean that you shouldn't have discussions or be curious enough to learn about the nuts and bolts of the swing. It's just that going into swing mechanics detail has its own purpose.

I think it's silly that people think that we shouldn't use correct terminology and should always speak in layman terms. But if you're going to learn more in detail of the mechanics...do it to understand what and why you are changing your swing. I say you should never make any changes in your swing unless you have a good and detailed reason for doing so. Otherwise, you don't understand what you're doing and you're likely just making a change for cosmetic reasons.

Once you make the change, it can be helpful to understand the entire motion process involved. You can even initially come up with swing thoughts/visuals...but with enough reps of quality practice, those swing thoughts/visuals should dissipate and it should be more of a sensing of the motion you want to make instead.

Most golfers tend to know very little about the swing changes they want to make and often end up doing it for aesthetics. Then they focus on swing thoughts/visuals and never get out of that mode and essentially chase that feel./visual that works for them some days and doesn't work for them on other days.

RH

Rich,

For me personally, this post is right up there with slicefixer’s, iteach’s, monte’s and a few others very best shared wisdoms.

Thank you ?