Playing long course

TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 223 ✭✭
edited Aug 7, 2018 in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1
Is it good for kids to play long courses when they are young?



My daughter is 7 now and the yardages for US Kids events are short



She can drive the green on some par 4 holes



Are there drawbacks to young kids playing longer yard courses?



For example holes she cannot reach in 2 for par 4 or 3 shots for par 5?



Will it hurt development in any way?

Comments

  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,019 ✭✭
    If she is driving greens then she should back up when playing on her own to learn to play golf. I see some kids at young ages only play US Kids distances and they will score because they drive greens. As they get older they never learned how to play golf. Short courses are great for learning how to score. Backing them up forces them to learn course management and how to play the game.
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 223 ✭✭


    If she is driving greens then she should back up when playing on her own to learn to play golf. I see some kids at young ages only play US Kids distances and they will score because they drive greens. As they get older they never learned how to play golf. Short courses are great for learning how to score. Backing them up forces them to learn course management and how to play the game.




    On some courses there are yellow family tees or kids markers on the fairways



    The course is too long for her from those distances (she cannot reach green in par minus 2 strokes)



    Will playing from those yardage markers hurt her in any way?
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 686 ✭✭
    We play us kids and they are short but fun. Go play much longer courses. We use the PGA events for that in our area they are 400 - 600 yards longer which was a big help and prep for worlds. US kids locals right now she can hit 5 or 6 iron into some of the par 4s. We are now using these a preparation for par 3s moving up in the fall. So go play longer yardage. Best thing I would say figure out what they hit their driver and add what the PW would be is a good start. Let them become deadly with driver wedge.
  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    TigerMom wrote:



    If she is driving greens then she should back up when playing on her own to learn to play golf. I see some kids at young ages only play US Kids distances and they will score because they drive greens. As they get older they never learned how to play golf. Short courses are great for learning how to score. Backing them up forces them to learn course management and how to play the game.




    On some courses there are yellow family tees or kids markers on the fairways



    The course is too long for her from those distances (she cannot reach green in par minus 2 strokes)



    Will playing from those yardage markers hurt her in any way?




    I typically just find a spot in the fairway that meets our goal for the day. If we are prepping for US Kids, by now you know their yardages on 3,4,5 pars. Otherwise, I find a spot that will give them a drive plus a mid to short iron onto the green.



    When your kid is ready, plant them somewhere that makes them avoid fairway bunkers or other trouble.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 832 ✭✭
    edited Aug 7, 2018 #6
    Have her backup and play the 8 year old girl yardages (1,500 yards for 9 holes). If my local tour plays that course, I go look at past events to get the specific yardages. Otherwise, I kind of use these as a guide depending on how tough the course is and the layout of the hole:



    Par 3 - Anywhere from 75-125 yards

    Par 4 - Anywhere from 150-190 yards

    Par 5 - Anywhere from 240-280 yards



    http://www.uskidsgol...ps-and-yardages
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,018 ✭✭
    Usually there are "family tee's" on a lot courses this is probably a good place to start with kids. Usually there about 200 yards from the hole. If you have a par 3 or executive course there usually really good for kids to play.



    When it comes to tournaments avoid what I call "Birdie Fests" Last thing you want to do is play in lower level tournaments where everyone gets birdies on half the holes. That might be okay because you have a deep field and playing an AGJA event and the kids are simply that good. But generally speaking local events that have everyone score low means the course is simply too easy and it creates too much pressure.
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,320 ✭✭
    Mix it up ... if she enjoys playing long courses and doesn't get discouraged, it can't hurt, as long as she's not picking up bad habits.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 538 ✭✭
    edited Aug 7, 2018 #9
    Sometimes they need the short distances to build confidence, sometimes they need longer distances to learn to hit something other than a sand wedge into greens. Its no fun to hit driver - hybrid into every hole and they will lose interest, nor is it challenging to hit Driver -SW. As with anything with kids, dangle that carrot and let them succeed every enough to keep them engaged and wanting more. At worlds this past weekend in 7 YO boys at Mid Pines, the wet conditions along with a hilly course with several uphill drives limited driver roll out to almost nothing - it forced the kids to use mid or long irons whereas they probably are normally always hitting SW or PW. As far as I know ( I have not looked at every kid, but did look at the top 15), there were ZERO) eagles on the week, which is unusual. Effectively, the course played longer than it actually was. It really cut the field to the kids who are used to longer distances and can hit the middle irons high and well enough to hold the tough Donald Ross greens.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,019 ✭✭
    TigerMom wrote:



    If she is driving greens then she should back up when playing on her own to learn to play golf. I see some kids at young ages only play US Kids distances and they will score because they drive greens. As they get older they never learned how to play golf. Short courses are great for learning how to score. Backing them up forces them to learn course management and how to play the game.




    On some courses there are yellow family tees or kids markers on the fairways



    The course is too long for her from those distances (she cannot reach green in par minus 2 strokes)



    Will playing from those yardage markers hurt her in any way?




    No. Boys will go through a big transition like this around 13 when they move from playing around 6000 yards to 6500 yards. Somtimes you just have to get up and down. It honestly is no different than hitting a bad drive and being forced to get up and down from par. Alexa Pano was playing 13-15 year old FJT divisions when she was 9 or so I believe. She wouldn't get to all the Par 4's in two. She would still shoot in the 70's to low 80's. She is one of the best junior players in the world right now.
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 972 ✭✭

    TigerMom wrote:



    If she is driving greens then she should back up when playing on her own to learn to play golf. I see some kids at young ages only play US Kids distances and they will score because they drive greens. As they get older they never learned how to play golf. Short courses are great for learning how to score. Backing them up forces them to learn course management and how to play the game.




    On some courses there are yellow family tees or kids markers on the fairways



    The course is too long for her from those distances (she cannot reach green in par minus 2 strokes)



    Will playing from those yardage markers hurt her in any way?




    No. Boys will go through a big transition like this around 13 when they move from playing around 6000 yards to 6500 yards. Somtimes you just have to get up and down. It honestly is no different than hitting a bad drive and being forced to get up and down from par. Alexa Pano was playing 13-15 year old FJT divisions when she was 9 or so I believe. She wouldn't get to all the Par 4's in two. She would still shoot in the 70's to low 80's. She is one of the best junior players in the world right now.
    '



    Alexa Pano, your day one leader at the US Women's Am and currently tied for 1st with 3 holes to play.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,789 ClubWRX
    Hey TigerMom,



    Your daughter is 7 right? What are some of her recent tournament scores?
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 223 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:


    Hey TigerMom,



    Your daughter is 7 right? What are some of her recent tournament scores?




    Why so you can look her up?
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,789 ClubWRX
    TigerMom wrote:

    kekoa wrote:


    Hey TigerMom,



    Your daughter is 7 right? What are some of her recent tournament scores?




    Why so you can look her up?




    No. I hear a lot of parents saying courses are too short and their scores say otherwise so I'm curious. That's all.
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 223 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:

    TigerMom wrote:

    kekoa wrote:


    Hey TigerMom,



    Your daughter is 7 right? What are some of her recent tournament scores?




    Why so you can look her up?




    No. I hear a lot of parents saying courses are too short and their scores say otherwise so I'm curious. That's all.




    So you are saying if she is not shooting low scores that the course cannot be short?



    There is usually at least one par 4 each round that is less than 100 yards and sometimes multiple
  • kcapkcap Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    I would mix it up in practice and let her enjoy the short course during tournament while she can..



    I am positive (reading your previous post) that you don't think that par on a driveable par 4 is a good score. Similar a bogey on a long par 4 is a decent outcome. I evaluate the score on each hole based on its yardage rather what is required on the scorecard.



    I also second what HH says, getting up and down is very important.. and maybe I am being hopeful but my sons distance on the tee is below average (small kid - waiting for growth spurt). He might never hit it far but that deficiency has made him enjoy the challenge of getting up and down and being okay about not hitting a GIR. Yes, he is not scoring birdies and scrambling for par but he is very confident in chipping nothing gives him more pleasure than sticking a chip to a couple of feet for par.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,789 ClubWRX
    TigerMom wrote:

    kekoa wrote:

    TigerMom wrote:

    kekoa wrote:


    Hey TigerMom,



    Your daughter is 7 right? What are some of her recent tournament scores?




    Why so you can look her up?




    No. I hear a lot of parents saying courses are too short and their scores say otherwise so I'm curious. That's all.




    So you are saying if she is not shooting low scores that the course cannot be short?



    There is usually at least one par 4 each round that is less than 100 yards and sometimes multiple




    Yes, either that or her short game needs work.



    In any case, just wait a bit until she is 8. Yardages will jump up about 400 yards and the course won't be too short for her anymore.
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 223 ✭✭
    Grils grow faster and mature earlier than boys



    My daughter is stronger and faster than other boys her age



    I am not bragging that she is great



    I am asking whether if she practices on long distances instead of distances that are more appropriate whether that would be bad



    I guess I am trying to ask whether it is worse to practice from distances too short or from too long?
  • kcapkcap Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    TigerMom wrote:


    Grils grow faster and mature earlier than boys



    My daughter is stronger and faster than other boys her age



    I am not bragging that she is great



    I am asking whether if she practices on long distances instead of distances that are more appropriate whether that would be bad



    I guess I am trying to ask whether it is worse to practice from distances too short or from too long?




    Is she able to hit par or below from the distance that you deem to be short. If no, then that distance is not short. If yes, move her back.



    Not to repeat myself but just mix up the practice rounds, we play some short, looking for birdies, and some long, scrambling for par. IMO those are skills each golfer needs
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 223 ✭✭
    kcap wrote:

    TigerMom wrote:


    Grils grow faster and mature earlier than boys



    My daughter is stronger and faster than other boys her age



    I am not bragging that she is great



    I am asking whether if she practices on long distances instead of distances that are more appropriate whether that would be bad



    I guess I am trying to ask whether it is worse to practice from distances too short or from too long?




    Is she able to hit par or below from the distance that you deem to be short. If no, then that distance is not short. If yes, move her back.



    Not to repeat myself but just mix up the practice rounds, we play some short, looking for birdies, and some long, scrambling for par. IMO those are skills each golfer needs




    OK THANK YOU
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 972 ✭✭
    kcap wrote:


    I would mix it up in practice and let her enjoy the short course during tournament while she can..



    I am positive (reading your previous post) that you don't think that par on a driveable par 4 is a good score. Similar a bogey on a long par 4 is a decent outcome. I evaluate the score on each hole based on its yardage rather what is required on the scorecard.



    I also second what HH says, getting up and down is very important.. and maybe I am being hopeful but my sons distance on the tee is below average (small kid - waiting for growth spurt). He might never hit it far but that deficiency has made him enjoy the challenge of getting up and down and being okay about not hitting a GIR. Yes, he is not scoring birdies and scrambling for par but he is very confident in chipping nothing gives him more pleasure than sticking a chip to a couple of feet for par.




    iTeach made a point a while ago that longer courses will teach them how to score but short courses are better at teaching them to go low. There are benefits to both.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • MikekiMMikekiM Members Posts: 181 ✭✭
    Has anyone heard about Operation 36 or participated in it at all? It's a different twist on figuring out yardages and such to play. You start from the green and move backward, playing until you can shoot par (36). I haven't read too much about it, but you start with short yardages, and make the holes longer and longer every time you can shoot 36 for 9 holes.. For junior golfers, naturally you'll start with really short holes most of the time from the middles of fairways but eventually you'll work your way back to regular US kids type yardages and longer.

    Seemed like a pretty neat idea, getting kids comfortable with the scoring aspect, and seeing their scores low around 36.
  • kcapkcap Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    MikekiM wrote:


    Has anyone heard about Operation 36 or participated in it at all? It's a different twist on figuring out yardages and such to play. You start from the green and move backward, playing until you can shoot par (36). I haven't read too much about it, but you start with short yardages, and make the holes longer and longer every time you can shoot 36 for 9 holes.. For junior golfers, naturally you'll start with really short holes most of the time from the middles of fairways but eventually you'll work your way back to regular US kids type yardages and longer.

    Seemed like a pretty neat idea, getting kids comfortable with the scoring aspect, and seeing their scores low around 36.




    We have the operation 36 model/app/system in our club junior program. It is great for kids who are just picked up the sport as well as advanced kids. The kids initially cared about all the flags and pins they would win through the app after they completed the level, my son was determined to be the points leader for practice during each week. The initial enthusiasm has died down among the kids but I think the system/structure is a really good one to follow.



    You start from the 50yd and move back each time you score 36 over 9 holes; while those distances were easy for my son to move to the next level, we discussed what a really good/average/bad score should be from 50yd -- i think that is how you use it for advanced kids from the shorter distances.



    We are now at the red tees..
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 972 ✭✭
    Just heard on the GC that Rory's dad used to make up the pars for each hole he was playing as a junior. Some holes would be a par 8 so that he got used to shooting low scores. Part of the mental game.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,018 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:


    Just heard on the GC that Rory's dad used to make up the pars for each hole he was playing as a junior. Some holes would be a par 8 so that he got used to shooting low scores. Part of the mental game.




    I do that with my younger daughter so she doesn’t feel like she can’t make par. But I just add strokes to a hole for her. She 8 and there is no way she can par from the women’s tees but she still wants to play them.



    It you think about it everyone actually does make there own par if you play with handicap.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,018 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:


    Just heard on the GC that Rory's dad used to make up the pars for each hole he was playing as a junior. Some holes would be a par 8 so that he got used to shooting low scores. Part of the mental game.




    I do that with my younger daughter so she doesn’t feel like she can’t make par. If she playing a long course I just add stokes to what ever par it is so she has a chance She 8 and there is no way she can par from the women’s tees but she still wants to play them.



    It you think about it everyone actually does the same thing if you play to a handicap. The only difference is might be simpler and as complicated. This why getting a handicap can be so good for kids.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,018 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:


    Just heard on the GC that Rory's dad used to make up the pars for each hole he was playing as a junior. Some holes would be a par 8 so that he got used to shooting low scores. Part of the mental game.




    If you play to a handicap your already doing this and so is everyone else who plays to a handicap.



    There is no way my 8 year old can par from the women’s tees so I just add strokes to allow par for her based on what she can accomplish. The better they get the less strokes. This way she still has fun and feels like she can play angainst big sis.

  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,789 ClubWRX
    TigerMom,



    First off, I've missed you. Seriously.



    Second, are you sure she is driving greens?
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 972 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:


    TigerMom,



    First off, I've missed you. Seriously.



    Second, are you sure she is driving greens?




    I posted on an old post. TM isn't back to posting yet.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,789 ClubWRX
    leezer99 wrote:

    kekoa wrote:


    TigerMom,



    First off, I've missed you. Seriously.



    Second, are you sure she is driving greens?




    I posted on an old post. TM isn't back to posting yet.




    **** you got me all excited.
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 972 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:

    leezer99 wrote:

    kekoa wrote:


    TigerMom,



    First off, I've missed you. Seriously.



    Second, are you sure she is driving greens?




    I posted on an old post. TM isn't back to posting yet.




    **** you got me all excited.






    I did get a couple 'likes' on here from TM the other day though. image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Sign In or Register to comment.