Mg golf glove vs titleist perma soft

Rob G 89Rob G 89 Members Posts: 847 ✭✭
Are these comparable or is the titleist superior? Been using perma soft for years and love it but can’t beat the price of the mg. I know I can buy one and try it just like to hear opinions. I guess my main issue is that it isn’t a brand name.

Comments

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,222 ✭✭
    There are countless threads on this, but yes, the MG dynagrip Elite is comparable to the permasoft. I switched to it 3 years ago. I buy 5 at a time from them at $6.95 a piece and $5 flat rate shipping. No tax. $40 bucks for 5 cabretta gloves. Nice deal.

The one issue is that they stretch just a bit more than the Titleist or footjoy. If you are between sizes go down and allow for some stretch.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Tj1004Tj1004 Members Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Same here, I buy 6 at a time and rotate through 2 while I’m playing. Great glove for the money. I don’t plan on using another glove anytime soon and lack of a name brand is my last concern.
  • CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members Posts: 2,102 ✭✭
    Rob G 89 wrote:
    Are these comparable or is the titleist superior?.

Yes to the first question and no to the second question.

You can purchase directly from the MG website or from eBay.
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,884 ✭✭
    Factoring out price, the Titleist is a better glove. Not by a lot, but, it's better. I wear out the **** a little quicker and out of a batch of say 10 ****, I will get one which either rips really quick or the Velcro doesn't work for more than a round (though this issue has seemingly gotten better). I've never had a quality or QC issue with the premium Titleist gloves.

With that said, I only play the MG gloves. Once you factor in the price, it's not even a close comparison. So that means, if I am rating them, the quality of the gloves are close, but an edge to the Titleist. The price is not close giving a huge edge to the MG. So the MG wins out for me. I buy 6 at a time and am good for pretty much the season.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • jerryojerryo Members Posts: 1,145 ✭✭
    Do the sizes in the MG line up with the Permasoft?
  • robcharobcha ClubWRX Posts: 30 ClubWRX
    jerryo wrote:

They do but similar to what Jag said earlier, I've found my MG gloves to stretch a little more than the Permasofts.
  • Mi-GolferMi-Golfer Members Posts: 410 ✭✭
    edited Sep 25, 2018 #8
    jerryo wrote:

Well - sorta. I just took the plunge based on all the reviews here and the MG's I got are longer in the fingers and thinner in the palm than my Permasoft. I've got an e-mail in to MG but haven't heard back yet.

I've played two rounds and 1 range session with the MG and they have stretched a little but not all that much. I'm thinking of exchanging the un-used one for a smaller size and see how that works.

Here's a side-by-side with a large Permasoft and a large MG. (Titleist 1st - MG 2nd)

2d0z9qu.jpg16or4g.jpg

afgarb.jpg2hrj0o7.jpg
  • diablocrusherdiablocrusher Members Posts: 169 ✭✭
    I started using the MG gloves this year and I think they're great. They are basically the same exact glove you'll get from Titleist, but for more than half the price. I will agree with others above about the size of the MG gloves, they do tend to run a little bigger and will stretch. If I buy a brand name golf glove I'll always buy an XL, if I buy an MG glove it has always been a Large.

You can't beat the price on them.
    Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Diablo Octane Tour
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie
  • Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    I bought one mid-summer this year to test, and I also found they ran about one size bigger. I ordered another half dozen one size smaller and they have been great, still have four left in the package, durability is solid so far, and I am very hard on gloves.

All else equal, the Titleist is a little better glove, but for the money, it is a no-brainer to play the ****. I will be using these as my go-to glove in the future.
    WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Srixon Z F85 15* HZRDUS 75 Yellow 6.0
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z945 5-PW Recoil Proto 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Callaway MD 4 60/12 W Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star
  • Pi5seekerPi5seeker Members Posts: 852 ✭✭
    edited Sep 25, 2018 #11
    Make sure you pull the MG gloves on with the thicker part of the leather or you will rip the seams. It happened to 3 of the 4 I purchased but they replaced 2 of the 3.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra F8 10.5* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
    Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
    Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
    Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* Spinner
    Odyssey Works Versa 1W
    Z-Star
    Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,222 ✭✭
    Car analogy on overall quality.

The MG Elite is a Nissan GTR

The Titleist is a Porsche 911 turbo.

They are both very fine automobiles and are similar in performance numbers...

If maximum “value” for the performance level achieved is the goal, you get the GTR.

....but If money is truly of no concern, you know which one you are buying... ; )
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
    Pi5seeker wrote:

Make sure you pull the MG gloves on with the thicker part of the leather or you will rip the seams. It happened to 3 of the 4 I purchased but they replace 2 of the 3.

Good grief. You must wear them tight. I’ve used about 30 in the last 3 years and I’ve never had that happen.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Pi5seekerPi5seeker Members Posts: 852 ✭✭

Pi5seeker wrote:

Make sure you pull the MG gloves on with the thicker part of the leather or you will rip the seams. It happened to 3 of the 4 I purchased but they replace 2 of the 3.

Good grief. You must wear them tight. I’ve used about 30 in the last 3 years and I’ve never had that happen.

Yea they're a little snug but stretch quickly. I haven't had a problem with any other glove when pulling them on by the cuff. They are comfortable gloves but pretty fragile.
    Cobra F8 10.5* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
    Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
    Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
    Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* Spinner
    Odyssey Works Versa 1W
    Z-Star
    Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry
  • CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members Posts: 2,102 ✭✭
    Pi5seeker wrote:

I’ve never had one rip either and I’d guess I’ve purchased more than 50 MG gloves.
  • FKA HBFKA HB Members Posts: 373
    I guess nothing new to add, but I've been wearing the MG Dynagrip Elites for about a dozen years, pretty much exclusively. I have purchased FJ Stasof (or whatever they're called) in this time in a pinch. IMO, the FJ is the gold standard, yet I find the MG to be comparable for several rounds. The stretching is a real thing, and the Velcro isn't ideal but it's not really a problem. I just like the option of wearing the MG for a few weeks and throwing it away because it's $7. 3X cheaper than the premium gloves which are never discounted. Plus, I'd argue that a minty fresh MG is better than a worn Titleist/FJ.
  • SimpSimp Members Posts: 2,908 ✭✭
    After finding these gloves recently all I can say is Titleist can kiss my white @ss. I'll never buy another Titleist glove or ball again.
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    Mizuno MP18 SC's Fli-Hi 4&5
    Cleveland RTX3 50,54 & 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
  • chadly643chadly643 Members Posts: 457 ✭✭
    If the mg gloves were $20 a piece no one would play them. For the price, no glove comes close. That said, the premium cabretta gloves available for $20+ are superior in small ways. I use the MG gloves and just always buy enough at a time that I can rotate them regularly and not feel bad about tossing them out when they’ve stretched. I’ve run into some issues with consistency of fit before as well. Sometimes the fingers are a little longer than others. Because of the low price I overlook the small issues so that I can spend my money on non-disposable items. Whether you spend $6 or $45 on a glove, in the Michigan humid summers no glove is lasting more than a few weeks.
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,884 ✭✭
    chadly643 wrote:

If the mg gloves were $20 a piece no one would play them. For the price, no glove comes close. That said, the premium cabretta gloves available for $20+ are superior in small ways. I use the MG gloves and just always buy enough at a time that I can rotate them regularly and not feel bad about tossing them out when they've stretched. I've run into some issues with consistency of fit before as well. Sometimes the fingers are a little longer than others. Because of the low price I overlook the small issues so that I can spend my money on non-disposable items. Whether you spend $6 or $45 on a glove, in the Michigan humid summers no glove is lasting more than a few weeks.

This echoes my thoughts on the MG Gloves.

If you picked them up blindly with no knowledge of cost you would find they aren't really a superior product, in fact, I would argue they are a little bit of an inferior product.

When you look at the cost, you realize why there are minor issues and that suddenly they are a really good value for what they are.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • gibbiesmallsgibbiesmalls Members Posts: 451 ✭✭
    chadly643 wrote:

If the mg gloves were $20 a piece no one would play them. For the price, no glove comes close. That said, the premium cabretta gloves available for $20+ are superior in small ways. I use the MG gloves and just always buy enough at a time that I can rotate them regularly and not feel bad about tossing them out when they've stretched. I've run into some issues with consistency of fit before as well. Sometimes the fingers are a little longer than others. Because of the low price I overlook the small issues so that I can spend my money on non-disposable items. Whether you spend $6 or $45 on a glove, in the Michigan humid summers no glove is lasting more than a few weeks.

Consistency of fit is my biggest gripe with these gloves. I typically use ebay bucks and ebay 15%-20% discounts offers to stock up on these gloves and it's not uncommon that I buy 10 at a time. Because I buy so many at a time, and because I tend to rotate carry bags, I leave one or two in each back so that I don't ever forget a glove when I switch bags. The inconsistent fit becomes much more obvious when you're rotating through these gloves from round to round..some are longer in the fingers, some are wider in the palm area, some are just longer around the wrist area. But what really pushes me away from these is the inconsistent thumb sizes! I can't stand a glove whose thumbs deform, fold, stretch too much, and these definitely do that. When I find the perfect one I think "best value in all of golf".... until I switch bags. lol
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Hit 'em straight! Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭
    edited Oct 3, 2018 #21
    Pi5seeker wrote:

Make sure you pull the MG gloves on with the thicker part of the leather or you will rip the seams. It happened to 3 of the 4 I purchased but they replaced 2 of the 3.

I had this problem a couple times and later found out that I had been wearing gloves that were too small.

Went from a cadet ML to Cadet L.

I'm getting more life out of them because they are stretching less.
  • ronnbeeronnbee Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭
    as good as any other (mg)
  • grantm1120grantm1120 Members Posts: 25
    Did anyone have a size that was snug, went up a full size, or the cadet did the trick?? I only ask Bc my ML is just a tad tight right where the fingers connect down in the valleys, between fingers. Like a fool I got so excited about the deal I ordered 5. I just don’t know how large the large is and the cadet Large, ya know. Even though the website says cadets are 1/4” inch shorter and wider palm. The size chart did nothing for me as well. Please let me know. Thank you.
  • grantm1120grantm1120 Members Posts: 25
    Just wondering if your sizing was ever an issue, where it was in the glove if so, if you went up completely in a size, or went to cadet, and how is their return policy as far as easement? Thank you
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,763 ✭✭
    grantm1120 wrote:

Did anyone have a size that was snug, went up a full size, or the cadet did the trick?? I only ask Bc my ML is just a tad tight right where the fingers connect down in the valleys, between fingers. Like a fool I got so excited about the deal I ordered 5. I just don’t know how large the large is and the cadet Large, ya know. Even though the website says cadets are 1/4” inch shorter and wider palm. The size chart did nothing for me as well. Please let me know. Thank you.

You’d be the first person I’ve ever heard say MG’s are too tight
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • howaboutmehowaboutme Fairfax, VAMembers Posts: 130 ✭✭
    they stretch out pretty fast (almost too fast) so i'd continue to wear them.
  • TherealpatgilesTherealpatgiles Members Posts: 320 ✭✭
    I noticed trying mg and that other eBay brand I can't recall, both are extremely wide. I use the footjoy pure touch limited in a ML and the velro lays on top of itself. With the mg I was like a little skinny kid with Velcro shoes. Holding on by 1 Velcro thread.
    Taylormade m5 9 ad gp 7x
    Epon af901 19 modus 120
    Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron
    Epon af 503 4-w modus 120s
    Epon tour 50 55 60 modus w
    Epon i33 rose gold putter
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 924 ✭✭

Pi5seeker wrote:

find it happens quite a bit
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • ShowMeShowMe Members Posts: 484
    MG Elite is the equivalent of the Titleist Tour glove. Permasoft is the next level down...thicker, less feel. The Elite is a great glove.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist TS3 9.5* Diamana D+ Limited 70X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 13.5* [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Diamana D+ Limited 80X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 18* [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Diamana D+ Limited 80X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping i210 5-UW Steelfiber i80 S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping Glide 2.0 SS 56* Steelfiber i80 S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scottie Newport M2[/font]