Cobra Forged Tec One Length

DC300 ·  
DC300DC300 Members  329WRX Points: 0Posts: 329
Ok, Dechambeau is in the process of contending for #1 in the world and I am in the process of finding my next set of irons. Who has put these things into action? What are your experiences? I am not really as enthused with the Original Forged One, but not opposed either. I plan on putting some good graphite shafts in and going all out one length for the season.
Posted:

Comments

• JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers  607WRX Points: 132Handicap: 12.7Posts: 607 Golden Tee
    Owned them for a short period of time. I actually liked the (longer) short irons. As for the longer irons (4 and 5), I could not get them elevated enough so gapping was an issue. YMMV.
    Posted:
    PXG 0811xf Gen 2 9* AD VR-6x
    PXG 0341x Gen 3 16* AD VR-7x
    Ping i210 4-UW Modus 105s
    Ping Glide 2.0 54/58 Modus 105s
    Evnroll ER2 Black 34"
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • rbj69rbj69 Members  781WRX Points: 59Handicap: 14Posts: 781 Golden Tee
    Can you put any shaft in them? I thought they were built with different weighted shafts
    Posted:
    Taylormade M16 with blue atmos shaft
    Callaway Rogue 3 wd with blue evnflow shaft
    Cleveland hb launcher 3h
    4-pw Srixon Z585\Z785 combo with $ taper shafts
    Cleveland 50 cbx2 wedge
    Cleveland 56 cbx2 wedge
    Cleveland 60 cbx2 wedge
    Odyssey stability 1Wide
    Cleveland frontline
    Evnroll 1.2 Blacked out
    Cleveland Huntington Soft 11 CS blacked out
    Balls 19'Srixon Zstar xv and Zstar and others
  • AucavemanAucaveman Members  161WRX Points: 71Handicap: 7Posts: 161 Fairways
    I play the forged tec ols. I have the recoil es 780 smacwraps in xs in mine. They are the stock graphite shafts. I played s300 before these, but my elbow couldnt take the abuse. I've had no problem adjusting to the weight difference. They are great shafts. I too struggled with the 5 and 6 iron, but it was due to over swinging. You just have to trust they'll do what they're suppose to. I really like the ol hybrids too. I also owned the original forged. I like the blacks better. I hated the f7s. Never really tried the f8s.
    Posted:
  • pbr2121pbr2121 Members  439WRX Points: 53Posts: 439 Greens
    I'm heading into my second season with FTBs 5-L. Just ordered be new OL hybrid as well. Frankly I played the most consistent golf of my life with these clubs last year and plan to focus on my swing this year with the same clubs. I did pick up some of the VL black hogans but after messing around with them it's pretty clear they are for fun challenge rounds and the cobras are for scoring.
    Posted:
    PING Rapture V2 with BB
    PING Crossover - 3
    PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
    PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
    PING Chipo!
    PING Pal - Karsten
  • DC300DC300 Members  329WRX Points: 0Posts: 329
    Aucaveman wrote:

I play the forged tec ols. I have the recoil es 780 smacwraps in xs in mine. They are the stock graphite shafts. I played s300 before these, but my elbow couldnt take the abuse. I've had no problem adjusting to the weight difference. They are great shafts. I too struggled with the 5 and 6 iron, but it was due to over swinging. You just have to trust they'll do what they're suppose to. I really like the ol hybrids too. I also owned the original forged. I like the blacks better. I hated the f7s. Never really tried the f8s.

That’s pretty much what I want to get and for the elbow reasons as well. I’d like heavier shafts, but it is what it is I guess.
    Posted:
    rbj69 wrote:

Can you put any shaft in them? I thought they were built with different weighted shafts

You can do anything you want, their concept of different weight is actually contradictory to the main stream of though, make them all exactly the same.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • wobgonwobgon Members  7895WRX Points: 641Posts: 7,895 Titanium Tees
    DC300 wrote:

Ok, Dechambeau is in the process of contending for #1 in the world and I am in the process of finding my next set of irons. Who has put these things into action? What are your experiences? I am not really as enthused with the Original Forged One, but not opposed either. I plan on putting some good graphite shafts in and going all out one length for the season.

If you are influenced by Dechambeau, why not look at the clubs he is using?
    Posted:
  • rjr25rjr25 New HampshireMembers  272WRX Points: 63Handicap: 11Posts: 272 Greens
    Aucaveman wrote:

Glad to hear this. I had the f7's last year and was debating the forged tecs if I stick with the concept. Loved the long irons actually but struggled with the short ones. Figured might like the smaller forged clubs over the cast f7's.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 - 9 degree - Atmos Black TS 6S
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19
    Cobra F8 OL Hybrid 22
    Cobra F7 OL 5&6
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 7-GW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54SS & 58ES
    Evnroll ER2 Midblade 35
  • grewgrew Members  256WRX Points: 110Posts: 256 Greens
    even dechambeau can't hit the 4/5 iron and is using the utility one length for those clubs. That tells you about the gapping issues at the low end of the club. I had similar issues.
    Posted:
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members  1081WRX Points: 148Posts: 1,081 Platinum Tees
    grew wrote:

even dechambeau can't hit the 4/5 iron and is using the utility one length for those clubs. That tells you about the gapping issues at the low end of the club. I had similar issues.

I honestly think it may be because of the lack of forgiveness in the forged. I will be ordering forged tec black to play with when I'm not competin. I couldn't get the Forged one long irons consistent enough to compete with this winter, and the forged tec is much more forgiving based on a few in store swings.

To your point however, it really does seem like a lot of his six irons are rolling out farther than he wants them to.
    Posted:
    g410 lst 8* | hzrdusblack75  /  g410 16.5* | fujiprotour93  /  p790 16*, 21* | x7  /  919t 4-9 | x7  / md4 49*11, 54*10, 60*10 | x7  /  spiderx
    <6900yards: sub out md4 54 and g410 16.5.  sub in md4 52, 56

• Chicagogolf000Chicagogolf000 Members  35WRX Points: 15Posts: 35 Bunkers
    I bought them a few weeks ago and have used them a lot indoors. My swingspeed with them is around 89-92, and I am carrying the 7 185 and the 5 210. I originally had the 4-5 utility and hit that one shorter than the Forged Tec 5 for some reason. I think my swing does not get along with the wide bottoms of those. I also have the 3 hybrid which carries around 225. They have taken some time to get used to, but overall I like them a lot!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • AucavemanAucaveman Members  161WRX Points: 71Handicap: 7Posts: 161 Fairways
    DC300 wrote:

Aucaveman wrote:

That’s pretty much what I want to get and for the elbow reasons as well. I’d like heavier shafts, but it is what it is I guess.

And not sure if you're aware, but the f4 xs is suppose to have the same characteristics of the f3 s, but is 4 grams heavier. At least that's what the recoil rep told me. I know it's not much but at least it's a little heavier. And I don't swing xs in any thing else. Jfyi
    Posted:
    wobgon wrote:

DC300 wrote:

He doesn’t influence me, I have been interested in the concept a long time. I built a few demos, but the Forged Tec is the first club that really suits my eye and has the technology to overcome the shortcomings of the single length set up. I think it’s great he is doing well and it will bring more attention to the single length theory, it will help bring major R&D to it. Getting Cobra on board is a huge step. There are others out there that are very good too, but I really like what they have done with the Forged Tec.
    Posted:
    extrastiff wrote:

grew wrote:

I honestly think it may be because of the lack of forgiveness in the forged. I will be ordering forged tec black to play with when I'm not competin. I couldn't get the Forged one long irons consistent enough to compete with this winter, and the forged tec is much more forgiving based on a few in store swings.

To your point however, it really does seem like a lot of his six irons are rolling out farther than he wants them to.

There is an inherent issue with generating the same spin with the lower lofted irons with the shorter shafts, most people see it in gapping constriction because they can’t keep the ball in the air. I am a high club head speed player and found that compression at the top of some other sets as well. The Sterlings and the Forged Tec seem to overcome the distance pretty well, but do lack in spin. I’m ok with that trade off. I’m not a great striker of long irons, so it’s 50/50 if I’m hitting the green anyway, so why not have something that is on line, but might roll out? That I can account for and adjust to. It might not be perfect, but the odds of me being ok with some roll out are still better than me “sticking” a 4 iron anyway. I’m a borderline single digit cap, not a pro, so it’s easy for me. Bryson is dominating the field by 7 strokes, so I guess it’s ok for him too haha.
    Posted:
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members  1081WRX Points: 148Posts: 1,081 Platinum Tees
    DC300 wrote:

wobgon wrote:

DC300 wrote:

He doesn’t influence me, I have been interested in the concept a long time. I built a few demos, but the Forged Tec is the first club that really suits my eye and has the technology to overcome the shortcomings of the single length set up. I think it’s great he is doing well and it will bring more attention to the single length theory, it will help bring major R&D to it. Getting Cobra on board is a huge step. There are others out there that are very good too, but I really like what they have done with the Forged Tec.

I Think the fact that he is winning with one length should be influential. I would pay per view for another top pro playing 9 holes with Singlelength.

I vote u get the forged tec 4-pw. Original Forged one doesnt have a ton of helpful tech imo, feels bladey. Which is fine but tougher.

Pm if ever selling image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    g410 lst 8* | hzrdusblack75  /  g410 16.5* | fujiprotour93  /  p790 16*, 21* | x7  /  919t 4-9 | x7  / md4 49*11, 54*10, 60*10 | x7  /  spiderx
    <6900yards: sub out md4 54 and g410 16.5.  sub in md4 52, 56

• Motoman125yzMotoman125yz Members  17WRX Points: 15Handicap: 11Posts: 17 Bunkers
    I currently game the OL forged tec blacks. I find the gapping to be good. There seems to be a greater drop off on miss hits with the longer irons. I've never been able to add massive spin on wedge shots but with these clubs I've been able to back up shots with the pw. Chipping with the longer sw takes some getting used to.

What's the word on the OL hybrids? I am getting 205-215 with the 4I. I am looking for something to get me a 230-240 ball. I wanted to try the utility but they dont exist for left handers.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • rjr25rjr25 New HampshireMembers  272WRX Points: 63Handicap: 11Posts: 272 Greens

I currently game the OL forged tec blacks. I find the gapping to be good. There seems to be a greater drop off on miss hits with the longer irons. I've never been able to add massive spin on wedge shots but with these clubs I've been able to back up shots with the pw. Chipping with the longer sw takes some getting used to.

What's the word on the OL hybrids? I am getting 205-215 with the 4I. I am looking for something to get me a 230-240 ball. I wanted to try the utility but they dont exist for left handers.

I have the F8 OL hybrid in 22. My highest iron is my 5 Ol F7, which I think is around 23/24. I cant hit the 5 around 190 and I hit the Hybrid around 2-205. You probably swing faster than me but I am not seeing a lot of yards between my highest iron and the hybrid. You hitting your 4 205-215 I am not sure how much more you may be able to get out of the hybrid. Assume you would grab the 19 degree?
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 - 9 degree - Atmos Black TS 6S
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19
    Cobra F8 OL Hybrid 22
    Cobra F7 OL 5&6
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 7-GW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54SS & 58ES
    Evnroll ER2 Midblade 35
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers  7274WRX Points: 583Handicap: 1.8Posts: 7,274 Titanium Tees
    Aucaveman wrote:

DC300 wrote:

Aucaveman wrote:

And not sure if you're aware, but the f4 xs is suppose to have the same characteristics of the f3 s, but is 4 grams heavier. At least that's what the recoil rep told me. I know it's not much but at least it's a little heavier. And I don't swing xs in any thing else. Jfyi

F4 is stiff. F3 is regular. F5 is UST’s extra stiff and it isn’t available in the 780 shaft.

In most models of shafts a stiffer shaft in the same model is usually a few grams heavier.
    Posted:
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    PXG gen 1 tours 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Jasoneparry999Jasoneparry999 Members  22WRX Points: 0Handicap: 15Posts: 22
    I would be open to trying the one length but everything is read highlights distance gapping issues if you don't have the swing speed of bryson
    Posted:
  • playmuchplaymuch Members  977WRX Points: 95Posts: 977 Golden Tee
    I have the one length forged tec irons. I went the utility option in the 4 and 5 and regular irons from 6 down. No gaping issues. The utility heads get the ball up very easy.
    Posted:
  • jakkimjakkim Members  219WRX Points: 0Posts: 219
    I'm convinced the reason people struggle to play the Cobra long irons is due to the super strong lofts. For instance, when compared to Pinhawk SLs the Cobra 7 iron is 5.5* stronger, the 6 iron 4.5* etc. Super strong lofts require moderate to high swing speed to play effectively so unless you're swinging 85mph+ the hybrids or utility irons will most likely be the better option. For what it's worth the Cobra lofts are incredibly strong throughout the set. In my opinion it's poor design in that the low irons are super strong, the gapping at the top is lost...really confusing design.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    The concept was they were able to manipulate the CG to a lower placement in the long irons, allowing stronger lofts with high launch angles. For me, the Pinhawk is a little weak in lifts, I have high club head speed and am not afraid of the lower lofts, so I actually prefer the Cobra set up. The Pinhawks are probably the best set for the majority of golfers, the design is really great, just not flashy.
    Posted:
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood? Members  1628WRX Points: 250Posts: 1,628 Platinum Tees
    Ditto on what many are saying, the 3-5 irons require very high SS to get these airborne enough to hit greens on the fly with proper spin. I didn't have gapping issues, but trajectory sure was a problem. I was pretty much getting the same distances (total yardage) as my X Forged irons but I don't have any interest in dialing in shots to run onto the green.

6i - GW, great clubs. The forged black heads are really well designed. Great look/feel.
    Posted:
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX  2861WRX Points: 420Handicap: 8Posts: 2,861 ClubWRX
    Have the Forged Tec Blacks. The 5,6,7 are all fhe same length. I play variable length in everything else. No issues at all.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • SDGolfRookieSDGolfRookie Members  108WRX Points: 28Handicap: 13Posts: 108 Fairways
    These sticks are nice! Had them for 10 rounds.

- great black finish that I thought wore well

- dropped them bc I didn’t get proper fit (just fell in love on a demo day) and had issues holding greens,p and sometimes getting height, making me start to constantly question everything. Went to IBlades but then went back to single length with Edel irons where I got fully fit at club champion. Content with the Edels because they can fly and stick. Now just have to actually get better at golf lol.

Go all in for one length...it’s sweet especially if you are tall (longer wedges) - just would highly recommend getting fit to ensure you can exceed or match your current gamers. If you don’t get, questions and doubt could pop up post purchase.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8: Driver, 3/4, 5/6
    Ping IBlades: 4-P
    Ping Glide 2.0: 50, 54, 58
    Toulon Stoke Lab Austin
    Vice Pro / Sun Mountain / Lululemon / Nike
  • OsnolaKinnardOsnolaKinnard Members  439WRX Points: 61Handicap: 10Posts: 439 Greens
    Get a set of Edel SLS01s and fugettaboutit.
    Posted:
    LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT

Advertisement
  • Kedde84Kedde84 Members  33WRX Points: 27Handicap: 3.9Posts: 33 Bunkers
    Any other reviews on the Forged Tec One irons?

Just about to push the button and order a set of 4-PW with the AMT shafts, as i already play them in my JPX900 Forged irons.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.