ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Losing Every Aspect Of Your Game

kmckmc Advanced Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
I'll make it short. 6.7 index last fall,now trending to 11.5. Complete game breakdown. It's almost like something wiped my golf memory bank. Shot 90,92 this weekend. At this point, I have no desire to play. HELP ME!!! How can I fix this?

KMC
Tagged:

Comments

• JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Advanced Members Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Take a deep breath.

Pause for poise.

Did you try to implement a "fix" over the winter? Did you change anything? Reflect. Reassess. Now...go back to basics and remember what got you to 6.7.

Golf is a journey with many unintentional side roads. Even Moses wandered through the desert for 40 years before reaching the Promised Land.
  • FergusonFerguson VAAdvanced Members Posts: 4,229 ✭✭
    Trying too hard. Play the game.

If not, keep your right arm straight.
  • disco111disco111 Advanced Members Posts: 932 ✭✭
    edited March 11
    Looks like it's time for a complete bag change out..............At least that's the excuse I use, but I think the wife has caught on to it now..... image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
  • JsameMJsameM The Dude Abides Members Posts: 18
    it can be a very simple fix sometimes. I was in meltdown mode when my buddy commented on how closed my shoulders were to the target. Opened the shoulders up, from the putter to the driver, and it has me back on track. Try filming your swing, or having someone take a look.
    TaylorMade M2 9.5* (2017), Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 Flex 65g
    TaylorMade M2 HL 16.5*, (2017), Project X HZRDS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20*, Fujikura Pro Hybrid 83g X
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4i, Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S 86g
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 5-PW, KBS Tour X
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome 50*.12, 54*.10, KBS Tour X
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*.10, KBS Tour V Wedge
    TP Mills Custom Ming Flow Neck
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Advanced Members Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    kmc wrote:

I'll make it short. 6.7 index last fall,now trending to 11.5. Complete game breakdown. It's almost like something wiped my golf memory bank. Shot 90,92 this weekend. At this point, I have no desire to play. HELP ME!!! How can I fix this?

KMC

Are you saying you got to 6.7 last fall, had a lay-off over the winter and are returning to find your game is "gone?"

If so, you may not be that grounded in the fundamentals. Were you simply just playing a lot during the fall--potentially enough that you were maxing out your results on top of a bad foundation?

That's been my goal this year--to try and attack some of the problems I had with fundamentals so my game doesn't falter as often or as badly.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.50)
    Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Black (16.50)

Irons: Titleist 716 CB (3-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52.12 (F) / 56.14 (F) / 60.10 (S)
    Putter: Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball Red
  • caniac6caniac6 Advanced Members Posts: 2,613 ✭✭
    Everything this morning was bad, except my third putts.
  • Always_roughAlways_rough Advanced Members Posts: 417 ✭✭
    I'm in the exact same boat. Last summer I was down to a 4. Took 5 months off because of injury and extremely busy. Played a round last month and could barely hit the ball. Had 5 shanks in a row.

I've spent the past two weekends at the driving range, and I'm on the brink of just posting everything in the classifieds.

And the crazy thing about it is, under tournament conditions last summer, I posted a 77, 81, 75 during a weekend tournament. The buddies I played with last month couldn't believe how bad I was struggling. I haven't had a chance to film my swing, but just feel like it had something to do with my shafts. I play C-taper X's, and just thought that I might have lost some speed and these shafts no longer work for me.
    Got 14 daggum golf clubs, but none of 'em hit the ball straight.

(1W) M3 440
    (3W) 917 F3
    (3i) MP-18 fli hi
    (4i-PW) JPX 900 Tour
    (52, 56, 60) SM6
    Oven B1-01
  • Dr. BlockDr. Block Advanced Members Posts: 602 ✭✭
    edited March 11
    Stop keeping score. Just go out and enjoy yourself. When my game takes a turn, I round up some buddies, grab a cart, hit the beer store at multiple points during the round, and get back to having fun playing the game.

Obsessing and thinking about score - especially while in the middle of a round - is certain doom.
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Advanced Members Posts: 4,874 ✭✭
    Go out and play a few rounds and don't keep score. See if it's fun at all, if you enjoy it. Just try and have a good time and forget the pressure or stress no matter how big or small of trying to 'post' a score, or maintain some index. If you can have a good time doing that, then go back to your numbers game again, and see which one gave you the most desire to play. All I'm saying is maybe somewhere along the line you lost the joy of the game. If that's not the case, and you want to keep the emphasis on the numbers and results, then make lots of changes including equipment from what made you a 6.7, and save the desire and enjoyment part for later image/yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' />
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Advanced Members Posts: 805 ✭✭
    edited March 11
    Back to the basics, until you master the fundamentals (you never will).
    TC Rogue SZ 8.8* Pro Orange 70TX/ ACCRA TZ5 75 M5
    M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
    790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
    4-PW Apex Pro 19 DG X7's
    50* MD4 Raw Tour issue S400
    55* MD4 Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    J-DAY Spider
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Advanced Members Posts: 309 ✭✭
    Happened to me mid season last year, middle of my first round in a tournament. Took almost 6 weeks to come out of it too. I just got over confident and golf came up and golfed all over me. Everything went right back into place once i slowed my swing down just a hair.

Hang in there OP, dont stress over it too much and it comes back just as quick as it left. Hate to say it but it will happen again many many times in the future...
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Advanced Members Posts: 592 ✭✭
    I posted about this in another thread, but about a month ago I found my swing again and started posting some good scores. A week goes by and I completely lose any feel for impact. So I tried some range time as a fix but couldn’t get it back. I played 20 holes over the course of a couple of weeks and was 32 over on those 20 holes. That’s not a misprint.

I went out this weekend and was OK...not good but not terrible. I decided pre-round to stop playing golf swing and just play golf. Seemed to help a little bit, but not good enough.

Went to my coach today and we found the issue once we did a face-on video. I have a terrible lunge forward at the ball instead of a hip rotation at the start of the downswing. I started booming the ball again once I worked on it some.

My point in all of this is that I had assumed that my issue was that I had completely lost a feel for impact. But actually it was due to a garden variety swing fault. So just go see a coach and have them diagnose what is going wrong. Usually works for me.

And if it makes you feel better, all of my improvements have come after I’ve suffered through the “depths of despair “...it eventually gets bad enough that you learn to do something about it other than trying to dig it out of the dirt.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • kmckmc Advanced Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    LeftDaddy wrote:

I posted about this in another thread, but about a month ago I found my swing again and started posting some good scores. A week goes by and I completely lose any feel for impact. So I tried some range time as a fix but couldn't get it back. I played 20 holes over the course of a couple of weeks and was 32 over on those 20 holes. That's not a misprint.

I went out this weekend and was OK...not good but not terrible. I decided pre-round to stop playing golf swing and just play golf. Seemed to help a little bit, but not good enough.

Went to my coach today and we found the issue once we did a face-on video. I have a terrible lunge forward at the ball instead of a hip rotation at the start of the downswing. I started booming the ball again once I worked on it some.

My point in all of this is that I had assumed that my issue was that I had completely lost a feel for impact. But actually it was due to a garden variety swing fault. So just go see a coach and have them diagnose what is going wrong. Usually works for me.

And if it makes you feel better, all of my improvements have come after I've suffered through the "depths of despair "...it eventually gets bad enough that you learn to do something about it other than trying to dig it out of the dirt.
    I have a lesson on Friday at 1. Our club just opened a simulator with trackman and video. Thx all!
  • fpyle3fpyle3 Members Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Dr. Block wrote:

Stop keeping score. Just go out and enjoy yourself. When my game takes a turn, I round up some buddies, grab a cart, hit the beer store at multiple points during the round, and get back to having fun playing the game.

Obsessing and thinking about score - especially while in the middle of a round - is certain doom.

Yes to all of this. Gather up your friends and get back to having fun on the course. No individual scores, just some fun match, perhaps a couple of beverages, and a little music if you are so inclined.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 9.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD GP6x
    Fairway Wood: Titleist TS3, 13.5*, A1, PX Evenflow White T1100 6.5 [use more tee shots] // TM M1 2017 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD MT7x [use more fairway shots]
    Hybrid/Driving Iron: Titleist 818 H2 19*, D1, PX Evenflow Black HC 6.5 [use more fairway] // TM P790 UDI 17*, PX Hzrdus Black 6.5 [use more tee]
    4 Iron: TM P790, Nippon Modus 120X
    5 - PW: Miura CB57, Nippon Modus 120X // Srixon Z945, Nippon Modus 120X
    Gap: Miura 1957 Y grind 49* (bent 50*), Nippon Modus 120X
    Sand/Lob: Titleist SM7 54M (bent 55*) and 60D, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge [normal, soft course] // Bettinardi H2 54* (bent 55*) and 60*, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge [firm course]
    Putter: Toulon Portland H3, Flat Cat Tak // Evnroll ER5, Garsen Quad Tour Proto
    Ball: Titleist ProV1 [normal, fast course] // Titleist AVX [cold, high wind, wet course]
  • kmckmc Advanced Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    Just spent an hour+ on the trackman with our teaching pro. Early extension was causing my angle of attack to be + instead of -. Seems to be a fairly simple fix. I would've never figured it out on my own. Time to practice.

KMC
  • GautamaGautama Advanced Members Posts: 746 ✭✭
    edited March 15
    Do you take drugs Danny?

Kidding aside, a very good coach once told me you need to have a pretty long string of bad rounds before you want to start worrying about things. Like weeks or even months of bad golf...and even then, start with checking the little things, your setup, etc. As he said to me, until it gets to that point, just keep doing what worked before and it will come around. You haven't lost your swing, just going through a statistical anomaly at the moment. It was great advice and changed my mental approach to the game completely.
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom