Wilson 8802 milled

KloeshumanKloeshuman Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited Apr 12, 2019 4:56pm in Putters #1

So i have been on the search as of late for a 8802 style putter. I ended up finding one on ebay that i took my chances on because it was only listed as used, no photos of it. I paid right around $50 shipped. It arrived today and i am happy with my purchase. It came with a new winn grip, and the head cover which was not in the description. It has some bag chatter but the face is in nice shape. I love the look at address and with a few strokes inside i think i found my putter

Comments

• kmay__kmay__ Members Posts: 246 ✭✭

Nice, I'd like to have one of these in my colllection eventually.

TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • KloeshumanKloeshuman Members Posts: 35 ✭✭

I think im going to be looking at more of this style...i really like it

• J-BladeJ-Blade Members Posts: 747 ✭✭

Nice! I used to carry one as well. Solid, classic putter

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
    Ping bronze J-Blade putter
    Titleist 910D2 driver,
    TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W
    Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
    Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

Im really hoping it works out...it just feels right to me

• Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,681 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 16, 2019 1:40pm #6

It’s great putter and I’ve got 74 heel shafted 8802 style putters, starting with “The Wilson 8802” that I bought myself for my birthday in 1976 and it was in the bag for 33-34 of the next 36 years. Madison had Mr. Palmer sign it five day’s before his passing as we were in the same hospital(my father was also one of his surgeons), so it’s retired and the newer 8802, circa 2014, similar to yours, is one of the putters in my rotation.

The dual milling gives a softer “click” than the The Wilson 8802, however it still feels superb at impact. Mine has the original red Lamkin 3GEN pistol grip which has a nice soft fee to it.

This putter is an incredible value at its retail price, $179.00, can be had new for less and is a downright steal for what you paid!!

I take it over any of my Napas, three of which are T’s and one a custom, along with my Miura KM-008 & Betti #8.

It’s a superb putter and still the best heel shafted blade out there!!

Enjoy it Brother👊

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend⛳️
    RP

Post edited by Forged4ever on
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • J-BladeJ-Blade Members Posts: 747 ✭✭

Hi Forged,
    That is amazing! Still signing stuff, even in the hospital. That was Arnie! Thanks for sharing.
    I hope you are doing well.

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
    Ping bronze J-Blade putter
    Titleist 910D2 driver,
    TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W
    Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
    Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

@Forged4ever said:

It’s great putter and I’ve got 74 heel shafted 8802 style putters, starting with “The Wilson 8802” that I bought myself for my birthday in 1976 and it was in the bag for 33-34 of the next 36 years. Madison had Mr. Palmer sign it five day’s before his passing as we were in the same hospital(my father was also one of his surgeons), so it’s retired and the newer 8802, circa 2014, similar to yours, is one of the putters in my rotation.

The dual milling gives a softer “click” than the The Wilson 8802, however it still feels superb at impact. Mine has the original red Lamkin 3GEN pistol grip which has a nice soft fee to it.

This putter is an incredible value at its retail price, $179.00, can be had new for less and is a downright steal for what you paid!!

I take it over any of my Napas, three of which are T’s and one a custom, along with my Miura KM-008 & Betti #8.

It’s a superb putter and still the best heel shafted blade out there!!

Enjoy it Brother👊

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend⛳️
    RP

Having Arnold's signature would be amazing...and thanks for posting, i like hearing from people that share the same love for this style.

• serprivserpriv Members Posts: 82 ✭✭

Awesome deal and timeless design. I picked up a mint 8882 recently. Anyone know differences between 8802 and 8882?

To me it looks like sight line and maybe a little more offset? I could be wrong....i dont know as much as some about this style yet

• craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,059 ✭✭

8882 has a different face mill which was designed to help offline putts, 8882 was also a darker black finish with a very small sight line on the top of the flange.

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    5 Wood = Taylormade Burner

Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

= Taylormade 64* Hi-Toe
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,681 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 17, 2019 2:31pm #12

@serpriv said:
    Awesome deal and timeless design. I picked up a mint 8882 recently. Anyone know differences between 8802 and 8882?

Actually, the 8882(circa 2010), was one of 5 putters released under the “88 series(8881-8885)” in 2010, with the 8882 being the latest 8802 rendition at the time.

This was the first 8802 design with the dual milled face design, the first milling ensuring a flat face for consistency with the second milling adding the master grooves to promote forward spin and reduce skidding off of the face post impact. The arched shape of the grooves were to assist in promoting a slight side spin on heel & toe hits, helping to bring the ball back in line.

This 8882 also had the traditional 8802 offset gooseneck hosel design along with a sight line, which while “The Wilson 8802” had no such sight aid, however the Staff model, the 8813, did indeed have two such lines, a short one running perpendicular to the face on the top-line and one running parallel to the face on the flange(pictured).

This is an excellent putter and while I prefer the following circa 2014 release(pictured above), which coincided with Staff’s Centenial Celebration, it is only because I do not prefer sight lines or aids.

I like my putters naked, lol😉

So, if you like a sight line, this 8882 is your baby, and if not, then the 8802 will get it done, otherwise, the set-ups are the same.

Have a great day Gents🍻
    RP

Post edited by Forged4ever on
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,279 ✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 4:11pm #13

Over the years, my tastes have changed regarding the sightline. Past year or so, I've begun preferring the 8813 over the 8802 / Tour Special / Golden Ram / Designed By / etc models. Previously, hated seeing that line, it's part of why I set aside my Yes Nicky, and passed on buying a TM-2.

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear

I have gone the opposite, for the last few years i had been using mallets with big sight lines....i just feel better looking at a clean blade. Just like i grew up using from the 70's on. My buddy talked me into the mallets a few years ago and i thought...why not try? Well i have come back to the simple blade that i really liked all along.

Its funny....this time of year i always go through this...i have to change it all...maybe just pay for leasons? Lol

• Wizzo1Wizzo1 Members Posts: 108 ✭✭

@Kloeshuman said:
    So i have been on the search as of late for a 8802 style putter. I ended up finding one on ebay that i took my chances on because it was only listed as used, no photos of it. I paid right around $50 shipped. It arrived today and i am happy with my purchase. It came with a new winn grip, and the head cover which was not in the description. It has some bag chatter but the face is in nice shape. I love the look at address and with a few strokes inside i think i found my putter

I'm sorry but I think you paid too much! Just so you don't feel too bad,send me the putter and I'll give you your $50 back. Just trying to be a good WRX'r!

• tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭

I have one that is mint and I am willing to unload.