Mizuno 919 Forged vs. Ping i210 Vs. Srixon 785/585

rh25

I am looking to get fit for new irons this summer and have been doing research on a bunch of different brands and models. These three have piqued my interest the most but am open to other choices. Any thoughts from people who have these irons or tried these irons previously would be appreciated. I am semi-new to this forum and trying to learn as much as I can before I get fitted.

I got fitted yesterday. Mostly tried the Mizunos and Pings , ended up going with the i210s. They're almost identical at address and the feel is similar. I went with the Pings just because I thought they felt a little better and I've always had good experiences with Pings. It's entirely personal preference, though; I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. Just make sure you get fitted for the proper shaft and lie angle, and make them recheck the lie angle once you settle on a shaft. I was a black dot with one shaft and a blue dot with another.

Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

I was fit into i210s, but I admit that I was biased towards that during my fitting. After a swing change and another fitting (different place), I stayed in the i210, again because I was kinda set on that, but went from 1* upright to 1* flat. Long story short, I ended up switching to Hot Metal Pros with a 919 Forged gap wedge. I find they work better for my swing on turf. I now am fairly shallow, so a lower bounce club works better. The HMP is somewhat of a wide sole but has a lot of trailing edge relief. The i210 has more bounce than the Mizunos. Some guys really like the V-sole on the Srixons, but others don't. I think between those three you have fairly different turf interactions and one may be "the one" or they may all end up similar. Depends on your swing and also the conditions you play in. Also shaft weight can be a big factor as well depending on your tempo and transition.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

If you can, hit them outside. I MUCH preferred the i210 to the 919F - wider sole and low bounce did not work for my swing at all. I prefer a narrow sole or a bit of bounce if it has some width. The i210 feels much better/softer than both the HMP and 919F but the 785 wins here. Generally speaking, you will get a higher flight, more spin, and a stepper descent angle with the i210 or 919F. The Srixons are notoriously low spin. I hit them WAY too far and did not get enough spin with them despite loving the look, feel, and sole interaction. Had to bend them 2 weak to be playable. Ping makes incredible irons. I just ordered another set of i210 with KBS stiff which is what I was fit for. I played i200 with that shaft last season and felt like I couldn't miss greens inside 175. I've been struggling with my GIR (down to 35-40%) since switching which is causing me to scramble for par way more than I like. The i series are GI forgiving while giving you the players look. They also have the benefit of being incredibly soft while being a LOT more durable than any forged option. You could have them in the bag for a very long time before needing to replace. Highly recommend but test test test!

I recently purchased a set of i210's and it was the best decision I ever made in golf. I recently shot my career low round.

The 919 Forged felt great, but I thought for a "players iron" they looked a little chunky. The i210 look great at address, very forgiving and for a cast iron feel really nice. I have them in the Modus 105 stiff shaft.

I did not hit the 785 but reading on Golfwrx, it seems to have gotten great reviews.

I almost purchased the new Callaway Apex, but the i210 were $400 cheaper and after hitting them and the i210 again, the i210 was the winner.

Overall, as others say, hit them all and see which you are comfortable with and works best with your swing. Good luck!

I hit the 919 forged, 585, and i210 (and a few others) in my fitting this spring. Best advice is to keep an open mind. Hit the ones you are most interested in but don't be afraid to try something your fitter suggests.

I ended up going with the z585 because my wife is having a baby this fall, so my golf will be limited for a while and wanted the extra forgiveness for the few rounds I will play. But I actually got the best dispersion with the i210, which I wasn't expecting and didn't even plan to try because I assumed it was a little too demanding.

• Like 2

I've played the Ping i500 which are probably a little more forgiving than the i210's but I'm sure there are some that would disagree. I've never hit the 919, but today I played 9 holes with the Z585 and they were like magic. I took them to the driving range yesterday to compare them to the Cobra F9 Speedback (variable length) and I noticed that the dispersion was much better as was the distance... at least 1/2 a club. I've had these sitting for 6 months and while hitting them on my indoor hitting bay just felt that there was nothing there to improve my game. After my range session, I decided to take them the course today and see how they performed in a real world environment. They came through in Aces. Dispersion was excellent... even mishit found there way in the general direction that I was aiming. Distance was spot on. Shot a 41 on a course that I usually score 3 or 4 shots higher. I'm sure this will improve as I get them dialed in a little more. Because of the distance increase with these, I found myself picking the wrong club once in a while. All in all, I can't tell you how much I was impressed with the feel.

Here's some demographics and specs for the clubs.

I'm 71 years old, good physical shape, and play a couple times a week. Handicap is about 12. I'm not a long hitter, but have a good short game and putting is very good.

I ordered the Z585's with the UST Recoil 760 ES shafts in senior. They are cut down 3/4 inch (I'm 5' 6") and 2 degrees flat. Grips are Lampkin UTx 48g.

If you haven't tried them, I would encourage you to give them a closer look.

I've owned and played 765s, demoed the 210s, and am currently playing the 919 forged. I loved the 765s, but didn't care for the shafts and figured I'd just go through a full fitting again. I gave them to my son and he doesn't even want a new fitting. He loves them. The srixons are there softest, and the pings and the mizunos after both a bit clicky but that doesn't bother me. Admittedly, I'm not a ping fan, but i found the 210 long irons harder to hit than the forged. I tee off with a 4 iron a good bit, so i gotta be comfortable with a 3 or 4. I felt like the Mizuno fitting was better so i went with them. I don't think they're is a wrong answer. With the right fit and shaft i could play any of them.

I think the 919 Forged would be my choice of the ones you list. I have not played the 210 but did play the i200. I sold them as I found I don’t love the high bounce on Ping irons. Don’t really need it. The Mizunos have a better sole for me. I have generally hit Mizuno irons really well and their sole designs are a major factor. Low bounce on the 919F but it has a mid-sole, which delivers a little more effective bounce than the stated number. I do not like no bounce or a lot of bounce in long irons. But on the lower end is better for me to get crisp contact.

The 919F 4 iron is way easier for me to hit than I experienced with the Ping 4 iron. I paired the 919F head with a Recoil 95 and it’s like swinging a 7 iron.

I don’t like soft-feeling irons. I like solid and powerful, but not harsh. The sound of compression. The Mizunos just matched up better with me; I think they feel great. The internal cavity milling to deliver distance within a fully forged head is an impressive design IMO.

Both the i210 and 919F will be more forgiving than the 785 and more comparable to the 585. I did try the 785. They were a little compact to my eye.

I also think the 919 Tours are pretty easy to hit — and more of a competitor to the 785 — and I could definitely see myself going with the 919T at 8-P.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Holy Moly, so in the last few weeks/months I've all of these. I built all three sets as a combo. The Mizuno was 5-6HM 7-G 919F, Ping G700 5-6 and i210 7-U. With the Z's it's U85 5-6 and Z585 7-G. Here's what I found. Longest/ highest G/I combo with AWT 2.0. Most consistent but almost equally as long are the Srixon. The Srixon although Forged felt way more metallic and clicky compared to the i210. TBH, I just felt the Mizuno we're too players iron for this low teens handicap who plays less than 10 rounds per year, but suffice it to say for me the Mizuno didn't perform as well as either set. I prefer the looks of Srixon but there's just something about the fast muted feel of the I series paired with the "Thwack" of the G irons. The only other set I intend to try is a "mad combo" of 0311 Gen 2 with SGI 5-6, XF in 7-8 and P in 9-G. We'll see, but if I had to pick a set to rock for a whole I'd go i210.

> @dhen9 said:

> Holy Moly, so in the last few weeks/months I've all of these. I built all three sets as a combo. The Mizuno was 5-6HM 7-G 919F, Ping G700 5-6 and i210 7-U. With the Z's it's U85 5-6 and Z585 7-G. Here's what I found. Longest/ highest G/I combo with AWT 2.0. Most consistent but almost equally as long are the Srixon. The Srixon although Forged felt way more metallic and clicky compared to the i210. TBH, I just felt the Mizuno we're too players iron for this low teens handicap who plays less than 10 rounds per year, but suffice it to say for me the Mizuno didn't perform as well as either set. I prefer the looks of Srixon but there's just something about the fast muted feel of the I series paired with the "Thwack" of the G irons. The only other set I intend to try is a "mad combo" of 0311 Gen 2 with SGI 5-6, XF in 7-8 and P in 9-G. We'll see, but if I had to pick a set to rock for a whole I'd go i210.

i210 is even playable for a 20 cap I think. Very good very forgiving irons.

Word of advice, the i200’s are readily available and far superior to the i210. The i210’s are hot garbage, not i500 dead corpse feel garbage, but I was surprised Ping even released them give how little (if at all) they improved on the i200’s.

You can’t go wrong with any of your choices really if you sub the i200 for the i210.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

“I500s are dead corpse feel garbage... “

Hey, I concur! Went into my fitting biased toward “hot garbage i210” but got better feel ACROSS THE FACE with Mizuno HM Pros. They were STOOPID long on the LM and even more STOOPID on the course. Dispersion was tighter also in the fitting, but that was more so down to the numerous shanks off the 210s ? Just preferred the look at address of the HMPs and the longer more forgiving blade length. My hdcp has dropped from 28 to scratch.....playing best ball ?

• Like 1

Yeah, don’t mean to be dramatic, since I game iBlades I’m not some anti-Ping contrarian (and currently considering combo setting some Blueprints), but the i200’s are very good and something went wrong in the process with the i210’s.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

• 7 months later...

Reviving an older thread as I just completed a fitting. Went in with intention of a z585 z785 combo, but also hit the i210 and 2019 P790. The i210 was the clear winner for me. Order has been placed. They didn't have Mizuno, but the i210 was so perfect I'm ok without having tried other sets. Sometimes too many choices is overwhelming, at least for me.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Srixon won out for me last season. Ping i210 were close second. Mizuno was shortest distance wise and I liked the looks of the Srixon and i210 especially in shorter irons compared to the 919 Forged. I actually played 545/745 combo all last season, but tested 585/785 as well. Both close performers. If you like looks of 745 and find right shafts, they are a great pickup at a low price.

Hit i210’s and apex pro’s at Carl’s Golfland here in Michigan yesterday against my aging G30 gamers. They have a “trackman range”, which helps collect a few pieces of data. I want a smaller profile with less offset, more spin, and both new irons checked the boxes. Distance isn’t an issue, but was happy to see the less lofted clubs match the distance of my gamers with increased height. Wasn’t exactly warmed up/small sample size, but was really impressed with the i210’s. Need more time and maybe a fitting. Anyone else here have experience with apex pro vs i210? Apex pro 19’s appear to be a little cheaper for next to new condition on the bay.