REVIEW Sense Putter Grip "It cured my putter grip HOing" - FairwayFred

FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Jun 30, 2019 11:05pm in Putters #1

Putter grips are such a personal thing. There are so many options, shapes materials etc and there is obviously no right or wrong answer to this problem.

About a year ago I embarked on a personal journey to find a new grip for my putter. I had been using a Tacki Mac non taper round grip for about 15 years. I am very comfortable with this grip but I believe there are a couple drawbacks to it namely that my hand placement can get inconsistent at times which throws off my stroke. I would not be exaggerating if I said I went through more than 30+ different grips between June 2018 and February 2019. I pulled multiple grips off before even using them on the course just from putting in my house. I brought grip tape, solvant and an extra putter grip on more than one golf trip. I had a week where I played 7 rounds and used 7 different putter grips. I had issues.

At the end of February I got a couple prototypes from a new company called Sense Grips. https://sensegolfgrips.com/
They make 2 models a rectangle shape and a square shape. I tried them both and have ended up gaming the square one. It is really the perfect combination of what I was using and what I was trying to improve. It is essentially the same size as the round grip I had always used but it has 4 equal flat sides which allows me to comfortably fit my hands on the grip consistently each time.

These flat sides are one of the keys to the Sense grip. Your grip kit (pictured below) will come with 2 things other than just the grip. The SAW counter weight system (more on this in a min) and a small level that you use to install the grip. It is very important that you watch the installation video on the website which walks you through it but this allows the Sense grip to be literally the only grip on the market that you can guarantee will be put on exactly square to the face every time. I have attached a couple pics of me installing the grip. First you use the level to make sure that the head is sitting in the vice exactly square. Then you do the same with the grip as you install. This is only possible because all sides of the grip are flat so your using the level on the side of the grip with the face pointing up in the vice instead of putting it in the vice with the toe up like normal. Sense says that this allows you to directly translate the feel of the flat surfaces of the grip and how they relate to the flat surface of the face of the putter. This greatly increases awareness of the face angle of the putter at impact and I completely feel this when putting. You can feel it if you strike the ball with the face a little open or closed and most importantly you can get a great feel for keeping the face square at impact, especially close to the hole. It's also worth noting that the rubber that they use is very nice and has a great, slightly tacky feel most similar to an iomic I'd say.

The SAW counter weighting system is also a benefit of this grip. SAW stands for sliding adjustable weight and it allows for a unique combination of counter balance feel options. I am a huge fan of counter balancing in putter for my own stroke, I have pretty much always used one. I think balance point is a very under rater aspect of putter fitting and it's something I always pay close attention to. The SAW system allows you to vary where exactly you place the counter weight rather than just putting it in the extreme butt end. It comes with a 30g, 20g and a 10g weight and they all can be placed anywhere on the SAW that the player wants. It also has measurements on it like a ruler so you can see exactly where you are placing the weights. The grip weighs 88g by itself and the SAW weighs 20g without any weights on it. I have found that I get the best performance with a weight under my dominant right hand rather than all of it in the top so I've been playing it with the 30g weight under my right hand and the 10g weight at the top. It took me a few days of trail and error to get the weight setup exactly where I wanted it but the process of pulling the weight and changing it is super easy. With my old setup I used to have a 50g counter weight under the grip which was about 90g. This gave me the same balance point as what I'm using now.

All in all I'm extremely happy with my Sense grip. It stopped my grip HOing which is about the biggest compliment I can give. I'd suggest anyone looking for a new putter grip to give them a look.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Comments

• Green in RegGreen in Reg Members Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭

Good write up. I too have a grip problem. Just ordered one per your rec!!!

Taylormade M5 9*- Speeder Evo
    Taylormade M6D 16*- Accra
    Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50* 55* and 60*
    Spider X 33.5"
  • sandsand Members Posts: 1

I've been gaming a few of the Sense prototypes on my Evnroll and spider putters for a few months now. I like to look at the hole when putting. The grip lets you feel the putter face in your hands - the flat parts of the grip are both parallel and perpendicular to the grip. The ease in which you can change and move the weighting is awesome - no need to remove the grip anymore of you want to move the weight up or down the shaft. If you're looking for a new putter grip give it a try.

• joedizzy1978joedizzy1978 Members Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Great write up! I’ve been gaming both models for a good part of a year. The S.A.W. System is revolutionary in that it allowed me to fine tune how much head swing I felt, which influenced the opening and closure rates of the toe. Anyone who wants to be a part of the forefront of a game changing product should give this grip a go.

• jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJClubWRX Posts: 4,831 ClubWRX

Interesting concept. I see that you are using the stability shaft in your putter. Have you noticed any issues with installation or changes in how the shaft plays?

M4 10.5°  Fujikura Ventus 6
    TS2 15°  Diamana S+ Ltd 70
    790UDI  PX Catalyst 80 -or- 818H2 19°  Motore Speeder 8.8TS
    0311T 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon 950GH 
    SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
    SM7 62M  KBS Tour
    custom putter
    Tour B XS

(¬¬) WITB Link
  • AucavemanAucaveman Members Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

Well talked me in to it. Order placed for s1.

• FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jokerusn said:
    Interesting concept. I see that you are using the stability shaft in your putter. Have you noticed any issues with installation or changes in how the shaft plays?

I was concerned that the SAW wouldn't fit in the shaft with the metal mesh insert in the BGT shaft so I called the company and they sent me one that had the insert not installed I was told to cut it to length and install it before putting in the SAW. In the end it fit fine and I didn't have to cut it so I think you would be fine. No issues at all with performance difference with the SAW I'm a huge fan of BGT and its only better in my hands with the Sense grip.

Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)

@FairwayFred said:

@jokerusn said:

I was concerned that the SAW wouldn't fit in the shaft with the metal mesh insert in the BGT shaft so I called the company and they sent me one that had the insert not installed I was told to cut it to length and install it before putting in the SAW. In the end it fit fine and I didn't have to cut it so I think you would be fine. No issues at all with performance difference with the SAW I'm a huge fan of BGT and its only better in my hands with the Sense grip.

Cool, thanks! I don't play any backweighting in my putter now but I like the idea of this grip. What would you compare it to in terms of feel?

SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
    SM7 62M  KBS Tour
    custom putter
    Tour B XS

(¬¬) WITB Link
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jokerusn said:

@FairwayFred said:

@jokerusn said:

Cool, thanks! I don't play any backweighting in my putter now but I like the idea of this grip. What would you compare it to in terms of feel?

Feels like an Iomic to me the smooth ones. Really nice feel. Much more high end feel to me than any Super Stroke or other wrap. I really couldn't be happier with it.

You also don't need to use the counter weight if you mess around with it and don't like that part of it. I am a huge fan for my stroke but it's not for everyone. If you don't like the weight all you have to do is play it without any of the weights attached to it and if you want to decrease the weight of it even more cut it right below the cap and just use that to plug the hole in the butt end of the grip like a Super Stroke.

Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
  • TheMagicStingerTheMagicStinger Members Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have experience with this in an extended putter. Going from 33 inches to 35 inches.

• 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Members Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MooreGreens said:
    Anyone have experience with this in an extended putter. Going from 33 inches to 35 inches.

You wouldnt notice a difference.

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
  • TheMagicStingerTheMagicStinger Members Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

@5hort5tuff said:

@MooreGreens said:

You think the weight system would fit or get hung up on the extension?

• nova6868nova6868 Members Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have always wondered why there weren't more square putter grips. The SuperStroke SS2R is under-rated, I suspect maybe because it's a bit heavy at 107 grams. But the shape is great.

• DrewllDrewll Members Posts: 33 ✭✭

@MooreGreens said:

@5hort5tuff said:

@MooreGreens said:

You think the weight system would fit or get hung up on the extension?

It depends on the extension used. If it is a steel extension that the ID (Inner Diameter) is flush with the ID of the putter shaft, then it should work.

OR- try a stability shaft and Sense grip combination!

• dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,871 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 3, 2019 8:05pm #16

May have to try these, but also seems like something one should be fit for. You would need help finding the right settings. Would be great to do this on a SAM putt to see if what the best setting is.
    Very reasonable prices for a kit, almost the same as a SS Counter core.
    Had to laugh a bit at the quality “German” rubber. It's just rubber.

Post edited by dbdors on

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 85 6.0
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", KBS CT Tour Putter Matte Black, Sense S1 grip
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/BagBoy Quad XL
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • winfootwinfoot Members Posts: 809 BST Banned

I have the Sense R1 grip and it is awesome. It is more rectangular and can be oriented either way, with longer/flatter side either on top or on the side.
    I do have the SAW system installed and I am a believer. Well worth the cost in my opinion, especially for the quality you are getting. Feel of the rubber is great. Not too smooth and not too sticky. Firm and stable. It’s easy to consistently put your hands on the same way
    everytime and to know exactly where the face is through the putt.
    Concept and design seems so simple. It amazes me that no one else has come up with this before.
    I included some pics below.

@dbdors said:
    May have to try these, but also seems like something one should be fit for. You would need help finding the right settings. Would be great to do this on a SAM putt to see if what the best setting is.

We had some prototypes that had China rubber, and the feel and texture was different from the German made rubber. The chemicals mixed into the rubber does make a difference in the feel of the grip. I can send you a prototype of the Chinese rubber grip if you get a grip from our website! I can guarantee you can feel the difference!

• dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,871 ClubWRX

@Drewll said:

@dbdors said:

We had some prototypes that had China rubber, and the feel and texture was different from the German made rubber. The chemicals mixed into the rubber does make a difference in the feel of the grip. I can send you a prototype of the Chinese rubber grip if you get a grip from our website! I can guarantee you can feel the difference!

No you don't need to send me a prototype that wont be necessary. I'll PM you rather than take to space in this thread with my nonsense.
    But many love Golfpride, I like Lamkin, and there lovers of Pure grips. They all seem to find "good" feeling rubber in Taiwan, Thailand, China, Mexico and the US.

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 85 6.0
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", KBS CT Tour Putter Matte Black, Sense S1 grip
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/BagBoy Quad XL
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great write up! Really sparked my interest. I was just checking out a Toulon putter this weekend that had the Lamkin Flat Cat and really liked the way it squared the face up. Just couldn’t get over how loud the grip looked. Anyone know if the Sense R1 is about the same thickness? Love the clean look of this grip of the Sense grips.

@4rheel said:
    Great write up! Really sparked my interest. I was just checking out a Toulon putter this weekend that had the Lamkin Flat Cat and really liked the way it squared the face up. Just couldn’t get over how loud the grip looked. Anyone know if the Sense R1 is about the same thickness? Love the clean look of this grip of the Sense grips.

It depends which model of the Flat Cat you were looking at. You can look at both websites to check out dimensions.

• 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Drewll said:

@4rheel said:

It depends which model of the Flat Cat you were looking at. You can look at both websites to check out dimensions.

Problem is I'm not sure if it was the Svelte or Standard size that was on the putter. Looks as though your Sense grip is right in between. Gonna pull the trigger and give it a try.

@Drewll said:

I'm interested in trying it in that very combination. I'm using a SuperStroke Pistol GTR tour and really like the larger top hand on it. Are there plans to make a more pistol shaped grip with a square bottom hand?

SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
    SM7 62M  KBS Tour
    custom putter
    Tour B XS

(¬¬) WITB Link

@jokerusn said:

@Drewll said:

I'm interested in trying it in that very combination. I'm using a SuperStroke Pistol GTR tour and really like the larger top hand on it. Are there plans to make a more pistol shaped grip with a square bottom hand?

As of right now, the USGA is giving us a hard time with that particular shape, so I would say no.

@Drewll said:

@jokerusn said:

@Drewll said:

As of right now, the USGA is giving us a hard time with that particular shape, so I would say no.

That's ridiculous. Every other company can use that shape but you? Square is ok. Rectangle is ok. But a square with slightly fatter end is not ok? I really don't get the USGA...

SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
    SM7 62M  KBS Tour
    custom putter
    Tour B XS

(¬¬) WITB Link

@4rheel said:

@Drewll said:

@4rheel said:

Problem is I'm not sure if it was the Svelte or Standard size that was on the putter. Looks as though your Sense grip is right in between. Gonna pull the trigger and give it a try.

Please use "golfwrx" for a discount code! PM me for questions.
    Thanks!

• NoCautionNoCaution Members Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

WOW - These look amazing!

My current gamer is a matte black Machine M20, which is already hyper-adjustable. Not only would this grip match my putter insanely well aesthetically, but I would have a field day playing with the counter weight system. I'm 99% sure that I'll be ordering one of these. My only hang up is that I don't really have the required setup to install it myself, and I'm not really sure who near me would. Anyone in the Portland area want to help me install it if I buy one?

I'd certainly hate to be left out of the "WITB signature" thingy, so...

Cobra F8 Tour Length Driver 9.5° - Hzrdus Black 65 6.0
    Cobra F8 3 Wood 14.5° - Hzrdus Black 65 6.0, 3/4 inch short
    Cobra F8 4 Hybrid 22° - UST Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap Black F4, 1/2 inch short
    Taylormade P790 5-AW Irons - KBS Tour FLT 120 S, 1/4 inch short
    Edel 54°, 58°, and 62° Wedges - KBS Hi-Rev, with various mods and adjustments
    Custom Black Machine M20 Putter - Matte Black Shaft and Skull Edition Superstroke Pistol GT Tour Grip
    Bridgestone B330 RX Balls (or e6 if I start to lose too many that day)
    Ogio Silencer bag for riding/pushcart or Jones Original bag for carrying
    Bagboy Triswivel II for my fat @$$ to walk more
    All clubs besides putter have MCC +4 standard grips, with the "Align" version on driver and fairway
    Custom VW GTI plaid seat headcovers and towel
    Asher Death Wish glove, obnoxious purple pants with a bright green belt, and a pentagram ball marker to irritate the old men who take everything WAY too seriously

@NoCaution said:
    WOW - These look amazing!

My current gamer is a matte black Machine M20, which is already hyper-adjustable. Not only would this grip match my putter insanely well aesthetically, but I would have a field day playing with the counter weight system. I'm 99% sure that I'll be ordering one of these. My only hang up is that I don't really have the required setup to install it myself, and I'm not really sure who near me would. Anyone in the Portland area want to help me install it if I buy one?

I would hope that any golf shop with a grip station AND can follow instructions should suffice!

edited Jul 10, 2019 12:13am #29

I took a look ay purchasing one. $67USD for the kit or $37 USD to get to me in Toronto. Yikes.
    I'll stick with a normal grip and a 2$ carriage bolt if i want some counterbalancing.

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902

@5hort5tuff said:
    I took a look ay purchasing one. $67USD for the kit or $37 USD to get to me in Toronto. Yikes.
    I'll stick with a normal grip and a 2$ carriage bolt if i want some counterbalancing.

Thank you for your input...

@Drewll said:

@5hort5tuff said:

Thank you for your input...

You are far too kind lol. Truthfully i think you have a pretty neat product . Square grips with a fool proof way to install. Goodluck with it all.

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji