TS 1 DISAPPOINTMENT

Just got my new 10.5 TS1 with air speeder 40 REG / std length / 30 gram grip. It weighs 302 grams. head 199, shaft with grip and adapter 103 .Somethings out.Suspect shaft weight. Titleist ads state the weight at 275.EVEN THE L FLEX COULDNT MAKE THE 275., My modified g4-00 with iz4 only weighs 289. XXIO 270 / STAR 286. I REACHED OUT TO ACUSHNET ; WAITING FOR AN ANSWER, IDEAS ???

Comments

• pricenickypricenicky Members Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

Not nice ! I just had the dealer take apart another TS1 head 187 grip shaft etc 88.5. total 275.5 I bought this to get as light as possible.Poor quality control

• cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

First world problems. Pretty pathetic if I say so myself.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    1988 Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot 56d Sand Wedge and 52d W3 Wedge
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • gwelfgulfergwelfgulfer OnteribleMembers Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 2, 2019 1:44pm #5

@balls_deep said:
    This right here is why golf companies must absolutely hate their customer bases. Literally having a stroke over a slight weight difference.

Yeah, I'd hate it for people to call me out on what I say in ads to try and garner them to spend money on over priced products to make sure I hit target sales for bonuses. Being almost 10% off of advertised spec isn't small potatoes when you're advertising ULW gear...

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:
    Driver - Titleist 917D3 9.5* w/ GD DJ 6X
    Woods - TEE E8 Beta 16.5* w/ 85X V2
    Hybrid - Adams Super LSP VST 20* w/ DG TI X100
    Hybrid/DI - Adams Dhy 24* w/ DG TI S400
    Irons - Adams MB2 Raw 5-GW w/ DG TI S400
    Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTG 54* & 58* w/ DG TI S400
    Putter - Yes! Abbie Forged 33" or Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line 35"

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:
    This right here is why golf companies must absolutely hate their customer bases. Literally having a stroke over a slight weight difference.

Yeah, I'd hate it for people to call me out on what I say in ads to try and garner them to spend money on over priced products to make sure I hit target sales for bonuses. Being almost 10% off of advertised spec isn't small potatoes...

Yeah that 10% difference is going to make a drastic difference in a 200 yard slice.

You literally just started a thread crying about jacked up lofts and how it is almost dishonest to the avg golfer who doesn't know any better... But you magically defend a 10% out of advertised spec club... Might be time for you to log out...

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:

• balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

Yeah, I'd hate it for people to call me out on what I say in ads to try and garner them to spend money on over priced products to make sure I hit target sales for bonuses. Being almost 10% off of advertised spec isn't small potatoes...

Yeah that 10% difference is going to make a drastic difference in a 200 yard slice.

You literally just started a thread crying about jacked up lofts and how it is almost dishonest to the avg golfer who doesn't know any better... But you magically defend a 10% out of advertised spec club... Might be time for you to log out...

You like to follow me around. I'm in Ontario as well you might as well just come over and hang.

Cobra F9 Speedback HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 816H1 20° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey 52f 56f 60d Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1

Currently - 6.9

• BLF0901BLF0901 Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

Yeah that 10% difference is going to drastically effect a 200 yard slice drive.

You sound like a ****. God forbid we should expect truth in advertising, especially something that is an objective measurement.

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

You like to follow me around. I'm in Ontario as well you might as well just come over and hang.

You replied to my comment, thus triggering an alert, to which I replied to... I'm just trying to figure out the weak ego of being called out for something so pathetic, or if you understand hypocrisy at all.

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:

@BLF0901 said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

You sound like a ****. God forbid we should expect truth in advertising, especially something that is an objective measurement.

I just think it's pointless to put this kind of stuff on here. If it's out of spec get it dealt with at point of purchase. Guaranteed that is the best way to get an effective resolution. I used to work in sports manufacturing and some of the stuff you see is just out of this world ridiculous.

Pro V1

Currently - 6.9

• BLF0901BLF0901 Members Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited Aug 2, 2019 1:59pm #12

@balls_deep said:

@BLF0901 said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

I just think it's pointless to put this kind of stuff on here. If it's out of spec get it dealt with at point of purchase. Guaranteed that is the best way to get an effective resolution. I used to work in sports manufacturing and some of the stuff you see is just out of this world ridiculous.

Pointless like continuing to complain about jacked iron lofts even though that dead horse has been beaten to dust?
    Pointless or not, your post was d!ckish.

@balls_deep said:

@BLF0901 said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

There is virtually nothing they could do at point of purchase to remedy this issue... If it was ordered through a club from the OEM, what could the club possibly do to make things right at that point?

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:

@BLF0901 said:

@balls_deep said:

@BLF0901 said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

Pointless like continuing to complain about jacked iron lofts even though that dead horse has been beaten to dust?

He has some magical point that will be made eventually, I think, at some point in time, tomorrow maybe, well that's wishful thinking, but you know, shut up...

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:

• BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the response sentiment here - you're mad, but exactly what do you expect us to do about it? I personally don't have a problem that you're angry over a few grams and I'm certainly not going to fix it for you.

Seems like a concern for Titleist, not the forum.

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

You replied to my comment, thus triggering an alert, to which I replied to... I'm just trying to figure out the weak ego of being called out for something so pathetic, or if you understand hypocrisy at all.

I'm not sure you fully understand it. Quality control and marketing are not the same thing. This guy weighed his driver, figured out it's off and then made a whiny post about it. Get it dealt with and move on. My comment re: drive length was probably out of line and more reactionary to you rather than OP. To be frank, I think the marketing of both this and distance irons is a sham. I don't think giving anyone who struggles with driver something nearly 46" is responsible product development. They can't hit the ball far so make them a super long club that's hard to control and give them less weight which generally promotes an OTT swing. "That's okay, just make it super upright and close the face". Great.

Pro V1

Currently - 6.9

• cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 2, 2019 8:32pm #17

@pricenicky said:
    Just got my new 10.5 TS1 with air speeder 40 REG / std length / 30 gram grip. It weighs 302 grams. head 199, shaft with grip and adapter 103 .Somethings out.Suspect shaft weight. Titleist ads state the weight at 275.EVEN THE L FLEX COULDNT MAKE THE 275., My modified g4-00 with iz4 only weighs 289. XXIO 270 / STAR 286. I REACHED OUT TO ACUSHNET ; WAITING FOR AN ANSWER, IDEAS ???

Hey Pricenicky, if you think you are pissed at the weight discrepancy of the shaft you custom ordered, go digitally measure the loft of that driver head (neutral settings) and you'll be pissed even more. Most OEMs have their driver lofts made actually higher (like 11.5 or 12.5d) than their stated lofts for their retail heads to satisfy the ego of their customers.

Post edited by cgasucks on
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    1988 Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot 56d Sand Wedge and 52d W3 Wedge
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

I'm not sure you fully understand it. Quality control and marketing are not the same thing. This guy weighed his driver, figured out it's off and then made a whiny post about it. Get it dealt with and move on. My comment re: drive length was probably out of line and more reactionary to you rather than OP. To be frank, I think the marketing of both this and distance irons is a sham. I don't think giving anyone who struggles with driver something nearly 46" is responsible product development. They can't hit the ball far so make them a super long club that's hard to control and give them less weight which generally promotes an OTT swing. "That's okay, just make it super upright and close the face". Great.

I fully understand QC and marketing aren't the same, but the QC I'm used to was 0.001" in auto parts and what was acceptable in terms of scrap. 10% off in total weight isn't an acceptable QC measurement when you are marketing yourself as such.

You seem to be wanting to rage on the OEM's, so take your own advise and speak to them and not in forums where nothing will be accomplished...

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

I fully understand QC and marketing aren't the same, but the QC I'm used to was 0.001" in auto parts and what was acceptable in terms of scrap. 10% off in total weight isn't an acceptable QC measurement when you are marketing yourself as such.

You seem to be wanting to rage on the OEM's, so take your own advise and speak to them and not in forums where nothing will be accomplished...

Specific QC issue vs overall marketing and design decisions of OEMs. Different. Move on. If you ever want to play a round send me a message I'm in Guelph quite a bit for work.

Pro V1

Currently - 6.9

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

Golf has a much bigger tolerance level than auto parts or construction. 2-3* on loft and lie from most

@GoGoErky said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

Golf has a much bigger tolerance level than auto parts or construction. 2-3* on loft and lie from most

This isn't loft and lie, and I seriosly doubt that most OEM's are putting out sets with 2-3* variance on each club given that is 'acceptable'. Part of loft before was wear you measured on the face that had people all up in arms.

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:

• dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So the TS1 driver is a disappointment?

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

TS2
    716 MB 5-PW
    MG 52 SB-09 | 56 LB-09 | 60 LB-09
    Select Newport 2
    ProV1x

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dciccoritti said:

We don't know how it actually hits the ball yet.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gwelfgulfer said:

@GoGoErky said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

This isn't loft and lie, and I seriosly doubt that most OEM's are putting out sets with 2-3* variance on each club given that is 'acceptable'. Part of loft before was wear you measured on the face that had people all up in arms.

You will be surprised how far off loft and lie are on irons. Swingweight is another area that some people have had come from manufacturers not be correct.

QC isn’t as tight as many think or expect in the golf works. So anything from shaft weight, head weight, and so on aren’t going to match 100% to what’s advertised.

• Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not going to lie, I skipped over a lot of the arguments on this thread. So, your grip should actually weigh around 50-55g I would guess, not 30. Most grips typically weight around that or a little more. Between that and the added glue and tape to hold the head and grip to the shaft, I think it's a lot smaller margin of error than you think.
    If you get too caught up in specs, it'll drive you crazy. Trust me, I've been there (and still am at times).
    Simply put, if you don't like the club, move on, probably to a different company, although for me, I'd put Titleist up there close to the top as far as quality goes. There's always going to be a small margin of error (or tolerance) on man made items.

@Sparky14 said:
    Dang, rough crowd. If I wanted an ultralight driver, and bought one advertised as 275g, and it came it at 302g...I'd be pissed. I've got no problem with him posting about it.....in a golf equipment forum.
    And anything golf is a first-world problem. I'm sure there are 2nd and 3rd world issues forums if that is what you wish to discuss....go there.

I disagree, I'm sure the few golfers in 3rd world nations wouldn't tolerate this either!!!

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:

• Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Rory4Pres said:
    I'm not going to lie, I skipped over a lot of the arguments on this thread. So, your grip should actually weigh around 50-55g I would guess, not 30. Most grips typically weight around that or a little more. Between that and the added glue and tape to hold the head and grip to the shaft, I think it's a lot smaller margin of error than you think.
    If you get too caught up in specs, it'll drive you crazy. Trust me, I've been there (and still am at times).
    Simply put, if you don't like the club, move on, probably to a different company, although for me, I'd put Titleist up there close to the top as far as quality goes. There's always going to be a small margin of error (or tolerance) on man made items.

You should actually read then. The grip Titleist puts on this thing is supposed to be about 30g (see their website). The adapter weighs 8g so your shaft is coming in around 70g ignoring epoxie and tape. This is saying your shaft is basically double weight which I doubt. I would double check your scale because tolerance on these things are 1-2g, not enough to be this far off.

• Mtngolfer1Mtngolfer1 Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the above, check your scale and work through any additional concerns with Titleist. It has been a few years since I have had to deal with Titleist customer service, however when I did they responded with excellent service. I think most companies will do what it takes to make it right if given the opportunity.

• gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@agolf1 said:

@dciccoritti said:

We don't know how it actually hits the ball yet.

Which was exactly what I came to this thread for. I have a deteriorated rotator cuff tendon, and came here looking for a swing that is diminishing in speed.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@balls_deep said:

I think the OP post was informative. Yes, it did have a whiny tone to it, but it does bring home the point that manufacturers are selling products that don't match their advertising. As they have always said, buyer beware! If nothing else, this should alert other golfers who purchase the TS1.