Iblade vs. i210

boxerdocboxerdoc Members Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

I have had the iblade since it came out but considering updating to i210. Obviously, I will be trying them out but wondering what everyone’s thoughts and reviews are. I feel like this year my irons have been shorter than previous and was curious how things would compare to i210 and if it’s even worth the change?!

Comments

• tobiasjdtobiasjd Members Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭

I've tried both, and for me the iblade is the better iron. It gives me the right fit spin and trajectory. I prefer the thinner sole, topline and less offset as well. Not really knocking the i210. They are good irons.

Cobra King LTD Black
    Titleist 910FD 15° 3w
    Titleist 917F2 18° 5w
    Callaway Apex 4h
    PING iBlade 5 - PW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 52°, 56° SS
    Titleist Vokey 60° K
    Bettinardi BB1
  • rainkingjrrainkingjr Members Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Don't change. Totally different

• BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm fairly high-handicap. I've messed with a few different models lately and, for me, the i210 is my favorite new set. Very workable, forgiving enough for me, not short.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star

Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

• boxerdocboxerdoc Members Posts: 109 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 2, 2019 11:47pm #5

Rainkingjr, care to expand a little more? If there’s nothing better I’m fine sticking with iblades but if i500 or i210s are more automatic then Bring it on!
    A side note I play off a 9 index, hit 7 iron 165-170 for reference.

•  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think i210s are just ever so slightly easier in the long irons......if you aren't trajectory challenged and hit a high ball , then stick with iblades

@boxerdoc said:
    Rainkingjr, care to expand a little more? If there’s nothing better I’m fine sticking with iblades but if i500 or i210s are more automatic then Bring it on!
    A side note I play off a 9 index, hit 7 iron 165-170 for reference.

Sorry, I was at dinner and couldn't say much. I tried twice to move to i210 from iBlade. It just wasn't happening. For me, the much wider sole of the i210 was a no go. I found the iBlade to be every bit as forgiving and dare I say, more forgiving. Feel wasn't close for me. I much prefer the feel of the iBlade. iBlades just checked all of the boxes for me.

• boxerdocboxerdoc Members Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

Thanks that helps, that’s how I felt when I was fitted into the iblades over the i200 years ago

• balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@boxerdoc said:
    Thanks that helps, that’s how I felt when I was fitted into the iblades over the i200 years ago

iBlade is the better iron for me. Can't deal with the sole width on i210. iBlade softer, more precise, more playable, basically as forgiving. Ticks all the boxes.

Cobra F9 Speedback HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 816H1 20° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey 52f 56f 60d Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1

Currently - 6.9

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@balls_deep said:

@boxerdoc said:

iBlade is the better iron for me. Can't deal with the sole width on i210. iBlade softer, more precise, more playable, basically as forgiving. Ticks all the boxes.

Ditto. My disdain for the i210 is well documented. The iBlades are a superior iron in every important category including forgiveness.

Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • ForeleftForeleft Members Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad people like the iBlades, but to allege they are as forgiving as the i Series is simply misleading. Even the people responsible for selling both models do not claim that. iBlades may be more forgiving for specific players with specific misses, but overall, no.

@Foreleft said:
    Glad people like the iBlades, but to allege they are as forgiving as the i Series is simply misleading. Even the people responsible for selling both models do not claim that. iBlades may be more forgiving for specific players with specific misses, but overall, no.

My anecdotal experience and Maltby's MPF ratings disagree with you. MOI essentially the same, C dim is close, lower CG on iBlade. Hovland uses i210 in his short irons because they fly lower and spin less and uses the iBlade in the long irons because he wants height. Don't believe everything marketing tells you.

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/06/19/viktor-hovland-signs-equipment-deal-with-ping-explains-whats-in-his-bag-g410-iblade-i210.html

Pro V1

Currently - 6.9

@balls_deep said:

@Foreleft said:

My anecdotal experience and Maltby's MPF ratings disagree with you. MOI essentially the same, C dim is close, lower CG on iBlade. Hovland uses i210 in his short irons because they fly lower and spin less and uses the iBlade in the long irons because he wants height. Don't believe everything marketing tells you.

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/06/19/viktor-hovland-signs-equipment-deal-with-ping-explains-whats-in-his-bag-g410-iblade-i210.html

+1. What's really misleading although it doesn't bother me in the least is using the term "blade" in iBlades. They are nothing of the sort. They are a player's cavity at best. Blade length is pretty substantial. All of the forgiveness you would ever want or need coupled with the ability to hit any shot in your personal arsenal.

• bird_4_3bird_4_3 Members Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the 210s are the best irons on the market, they just go straight and are workable when needed. They are not as long as the 785s (which are fantastic) but in the end the 210s were more consistent. As for feel that is subjective.

TM M4 w/ UST V2
    Epic 3
    Wishon 949 5 wood Oban Devotion
    Srixon U85 5-6 and 785 7-PW
    Odyssey O Works #7 Putter
    TM Milled Grid Wedges

@Foreleft said:
    Easter Bunny
    Santa Claus
    Maltby Playability Factor

I'll take real world experience. IBlades>ii210 for me.

• dcfasdcfas Tempus Fugit Members Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to lower trajectory and went with the i210s. They just fit my eye better, as well. Only have had them for about six weeks. My debate would be Ping vs Srixon or Mizzy.

• nuttinbutapeanutnuttinbutapeanut Members Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Doesn't Victor Hovland play the I Blades in long irons and the 210's in the shorter irons ? That would lead me to believe the i blades are a bit more forgiving.
    I read through the thread fairly quickly but did someone say they were a high handicapper that finds one easier to work that the other? Not doubting but for some reason that made me chuckle.

• spk7spk7 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

I personally like the iblades over the i210s

• High Draws Low FadesHigh Draws Low Fades Members Posts: 61 ✭✭

@nuttinbutapeanut said:
    Doesn't Victor Hovland play the I Blades in long irons and the 210's in the shorter irons ? That would lead me to believe the i blades are a bit more forgiving.
    I read through the thread fairly quickly but did someone say they were a high handicapper that finds one easier to work that the other? Not doubting but for some reason that made me chuckle.

He does, but he’s the exception. All the other guys with a mixed set have i210s in the long irons. Plenty of those.

Ping G400 LST 8.5
    Callaway GBB Epic 15
    Ping i500 3 iron
    Ping i210 4-W
    Cleveland RTX 3 52, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport
  • Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@High Draws Low Fades said:

@nuttinbutapeanut said:

He does, but he’s the exception. All the other guys with a mixed set have i210s in the long irons. Plenty of those.

He likes them because the i210 fly lower and the iblades fly higher for him

Ping g410 plus 8* 1 flat Fuji pro 2.0 Ts 6x
    Titleist TS3 16.5* evenflow white t1100 6.5 75g
    Ping g410 19* hybrid 
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 34” navy with true path alignment

@Kale_m said:

@nuttinbutapeanut said:

He likes them because the i210 fly lower and the iblades fly higher for him

Correct. As always, get fit, and play what works. We are debating the subjective. My feels are different than everyone else’s feels. You couldn’t pay me to play i210’s but some guy in here said they were the best ever. To each their own.

Hovland plays his setup due to the shot window he wants to see with specific irons. Unless one of us is currently saving our PGA Tour card at the Wyndham I wouldn’t base what’s best for you on what top 50 tour pro’s play.

Some funny things being thrown around here. Offset is exactly the same in p-7 for both irons. Only in the 6 iron does the 210 start to have more offset. They are honestly hard to tell apart at address. The big difference like people have said is sole width. Since GolfWRX is full of perfect ball strikers that never hit a fat shot once in a while the iblade is as forgiving as they come. But for those like me who hit a fat shot here and there, the i210 don’t punish nearly as much. That’s what it came down to for me when testing and I’m a 0-2 handicap. It’s also interesting that the i210 is the most played iron on the LPGA whereas the iblade is better represented by the male staffers. Anyways, I think it comes down to turf interaction and whether you want a little more help in the long irons.

A fat shot is a fat shot no matter which iron you are using. The ball is going nowhere fast if you hit the ground first. You could also argue that a thin sole is less likely to catch on the way through. I know I hit less heavy shots with a smaller profile. Anyways I think iron forgiveness is totally overstated.

Pro V1

Currently - 6.9

• nuttinbutapeanutnuttinbutapeanut Members Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

@nuttinbutapeanut said:

Okay, that makes sense then.

• Divot2Divot2 Members Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had 2 sets of i210 and am currently in iblades. I loved the first set of i210 I had but the ho in me always wins, so I sold em. Bought another set of i210 this season and a set of iblades at the same time. For me, the iblades win out in all categories. I am a high ball hitter and definitely like hitting the high ball, cause i think it’s easier to flight it down when needed and I feel the iblades give me more confidence in doing that. I had to work a little harder to flight the ball down with i210 but then again i was still able to and it wasn’t like there was a huge difference, just easier with iblades. The sole and turf interaction is quite better with the IBlade too, as the thinner sole just works better for me. I only picked up a few mph ball speed with the i210 over the IBlade but I’m not after that. For reference I’m close to same speed as you with a 7 iron, 165-170 carry with 7 iron at standard IBlade loft. Honestly I don’t think you are missing out and from what i keep hearing, Ping is coming out with a new IBlade hopefully. I would game what you have and wait and see.

• Divot2Divot2 Members Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2019 12:15am #27

Wish I would have stuck the iblades in the bag when they come out a few years back. By far my favorite iron so far and the consistency is spot on, I’m sure you know OP since you game them.

• calfan36calfan36 Members Posts: 196 ✭✭✭

Could anyone post address pics comparing the two? Thanks!

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Some funny things being thrown around here. Offset is exactly the same in p-7 for both irons. Only in the 6 iron does the 210 start to have more offset. They are honestly hard to tell apart at address. The big difference like people have said is sole width. Since GolfWRX is full of perfect ball strikers that never hit a fat shot once in a while the iblade is as forgiving as they come. But for those like me who hit a fat shot here and there, the i210 don’t punish nearly as much. That’s what it came down to for me when testing and I’m a 0-2 handicap. It’s also interesting that the i210 is the most played iron on the LPGA whereas the iblade is better represented by the male staffers. Anyways, I think it comes down to turf interaction and whether you want a little more help in the long irons.

i210 won again this week on the LPGA. I originally thought the i210 was favored there because they helped hit the ball a bit higher (most of these players in somewhere in the 90s mph swinging a driver. I'm not sure what your SS is but it does seem like things are different when you are well north of 100 mph). But this seems to contradict what Victor Hovland is saying.

Also, absent people like Lexi, it doesn't seem like many LPGA players have overly steep swings that would benefit from a wider sole. But they definitely prefer this iron head for whatever reasons.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)

@calfan36 said:
    Could anyone post address pics comparing the two? Thanks!

I will see if I can today, I am swinging by the shop to hopefully pick up my “new” hybrid.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file