Apex CF19 users - would you consider these game improvement irons?

jjfcpa

I recently got fitted for Callaway Rogue X irons at Club Champions in Las Vegas. On that particular day, they did perform better than my Apex CF19's; however, on subsequent comparisons using my Skytrak at home, the Apex have performed better than the Rogue X. In fact, I really don't feel like the Rogue X are delivering the way they felt during my fitting.

The thing is, I should probably be playing a game improvement iron and just wondering if the CF19's fit the bill or should I look for something more forgiving. I know this sounds strange, because I've been playing the CF19's for all this year and currently about a 12 handicap. I've very comfortable with them and do get some mishits with them, but I'd probably do that with any club. Perhaps a more forgiving club would not result in as much lost yardage?

During my fitting, I hit most GI clubs and most of them did not result in better performance than the CF19's.... these included the Ping G700, Cobra F-Max, Callaway Big Bertha, and others. Two clubs I really enjoyed hitting were the Honma XP-1 and Titleist T300, but nether performed better than the Rogue X. Just having a hard time even putting the Rogue X in the bag when I can't get it to perform better than the Apex CF19's.

Rogue X are 'super game improvement'

CF19 are 'players game improvement'

...if we want to use 'modern terms'.

The CF19 are geared towards a better player than the RogueX

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I have played the CF19's for about 1/2 my rounds this year. Had short time with the Ping G410's, Cobra F9's & the 2017 P790's. Sold the Ping G410's for the i500's which despite the negativity around them I will keep because I hit them well too. To me the CF19's are a perfect convergence of looks, feel, distance & accuracy. I would consider them among the players distance iron, but still in the GI iron category as well. Rogue X I would consider a SGI. Much stronger lofted than the CF19's. Most of the irons you mentioned you tested I would classify as SGI except the T300's. Don't know anything about the Honma's.

Spend some more time with the Rogue X & if they don't work out cut them loose & go back to your CF19's. Another good iron to test that compares to the CF19's are the new Cobra Forged Tec. I got my eye on them & will give them some testing & consideration over the rotten winter ahead.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

> @JohnKHawk said:

> I have played the CF19's for about 1/2 my rounds this year. Had short time with the Ping G410's, Cobra F9's & the 2017 P790's. Sold the Ping G410's for the i500's which despite the negativity around them I will keep because I hit them well too. To me the CF19's are a perfect convergence of looks, feel, distance & accuracy. I would consider them among the players distance iron, but still in the GI iron category as well. Rogue X I would consider a SGI. Much stronger lofted than the CF19's. Most of the irons you mentioned you tested I would classify as SGI except the T300's. Don't know anything about the Honma's.

>

> Spend some more time with the Rogue X & if they don't work out cut them loose & go back to your CF19's. Another good iron to test that compares to the CF19's are the new Cobra Forged Tec. I got my eye on them & will give them some testing & consideration over the rotten winter ahead.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but i might be looking for a players distance iron set, i play pings S55's i think they are wonderful but i'm not getting any younger. What would be the best options in a player distance irons about the same size as the S55's ? I've tried Callaway CF16's and they are looooong and i mean almost 2 clubs longer than my beloved 55's.

They have the forgiveness of GI Irons but they look, feel, and play like the player distance irons they are.

They are just as long as the CF16s. Callaway really outdid themselves this year.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

> @Ripken08 said:

> OP, you have been through several sets already this past year per your posts. You can't buy game. Pick a set and stick with it. Your handicap and wallet will thank you.

Plus, us amateurs have a longer learning curve than the pros to get really comfortable with new irons. Sounds like the CF19 fly better than most. Keep developing them. What I have found: most of the OEMs make at least one model of iron I could play well - as long as it had the proper shaft in it.

As for the **Rogue X**, it comes off to me as a little silly. The show rep implied it could not just regain - but surpass - the distance I had as a younger (??) player. Tried them at a demo day, and then a test-hit a trade-in set at an _open sim_ party. Several of us hit the Rogue X 5i and 7i that evening, and compared the results to our own 5i and 7i. On 10 solid shots, the Rogue X 5i went anywhere form 150 to 170 yards. My 5i went 155 to 165 yards. Similar results on the 7i, for me and other golfers.

Granted, a Rogue X 4i might make a hot driving iron, but I wouldn't want a full bag of Rogue X.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @Ripken08 said:

> OP, you have been through several sets already this past year per your posts. You can't buy game. Pick a set and stick with it. Your handicap and wallet will thank you.

Yes, I have experimented with a number of sets this year, but I've played the CF19's for most of the year. I'm not really chasing accuracy as much as I'm chasing distance.. which is probably why the fitter came up with the Rogue X. I didn't know much about them other than they existed. After the fitting, I looked up the lofts and saw that the 7i was lofted close to my 6i in the CF19's. No wonder they were longer... however, in all honesty, there were some other characteristics that we looked at... launch angle, height, backspin, and descent angle.

My pocketbook can stand my experimentation, but I will take your advice and stick with the CF19's until I find something that works better for me.

> @JohnKHawk said:

> I have played the CF19's for about 1/2 my rounds this year. Had short time with the Ping G410's, Cobra F9's & the 2017 P790's. Sold the Ping G410's for the i500's which despite the negativity around them I will keep because I hit them well too. To me the CF19's are a perfect convergence of looks, feel, distance & accuracy. I would consider them among the players distance iron, but still in the GI iron category as well. Rogue X I would consider a SGI. Much stronger lofted than the CF19's. Most of the irons you mentioned you tested I would classify as SGI except the T300's. Don't know anything about the Honma's.

>

> Spend some more time with the Rogue X & if they don't work out cut them loose & go back to your CF19's. Another good iron to test that compares to the CF19's are the new Cobra Forged Tec. I got my eye on them & will give them some testing & consideration over the rotten winter ahead.

Earlier in 2019 I was playing the i500's and found them to be too inconsistent for me. That's when I switched to the CF19's. I ended up trading the i500's for the CF19's when I purchased them. I've tried the F9's and P790's and they didn't work for me... at least, not any better than the Cf19's.

I may continue to experiment with the Rogue X, but as of right now... just not making it into the bag.

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @Ripken08 said:

> > OP, you have been through several sets already this past year per your posts. You can't buy game. Pick a set and stick with it. Your handicap and wallet will thank you.

>

> Plus, us amateurs have a longer learning curve than the pros to get really comfortable with new irons. Sounds like the CF19 fly better than most. Keep developing them. What I have found: most of the OEMs make at least one model of iron I could play well - as long as it had the proper shaft in it.

>

> As for the **Rogue X**, it comes off to me as a little silly. The show rep implied it could not just regain - but surpass - the distance I had as a younger (??) player. Tried them at a demo day, and then a test-hit a trade-in set at an _open sim_ party. Several of us hit the Rogue X 5i and 7i that evening, and compared the results to our own 5i and 7i. On 10 solid shots, the Rogue X 5i went anywhere form 150 to 170 yards. My 5i went 155 to 165 yards. Similar results on the 7i, for me and other golfers.

>

> Granted, a Rogue X 4i might make a hot driving iron, but I wouldn't want a full bag of Rogue X.

I think the Rogue X is an anomaly because of the lofts. They are so strongly lofted that it's hard to compare them to any other club. To me those are SSGI irons.

CF19’s are less game improvement than their predecessor, but if we were creating a “player’s game improvement” category it would be the first that came to mind. Amazing clubs, especially paired with the Elevate Tours.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

At a 12 handicap the CF19 should fit you just fine. One of my playing partners started the year at a 10 hcp and brought that down to a 7.7 now. He plays the CF19 pro combo set. I started the year at a 20.7 and my goal was to get under 20. I'm finishing at an 18.6 and have played the CF19 irons almost all season. My problem is I've tried Titleist blades, a set of Mizuno MP18sc and a set of Wilson Tour V6 and love the soft feel of the forged clubs. Actually made it around our course half way decent with them as well, considering my handicap. Unfortunately I lack the control and club head speed for these clubs plus they just spun way too much for me. The CF19's were a great "compromise". They aren't huge like a SGI and they actually feel pretty nice when properly struck.

All in all, I think the CF19's probably fit a wide range of players.

> @teedub21 said:

> At a 12 handicap the CF19 should fit you just fine. One of my playing partners started the year at a 10 hcp and brought that down to a 7.7 now. He plays the CF19 pro combo set. I started the year at a 20.7 and my goal was to get under 20. I'm finishing at an 18.6 and have played the CF19 irons almost all season. My problem is I've tried Titleist blades, a set of Mizuno MP18sc and a set of Wilson Tour V6 and love the soft feel of the forged clubs. Actually made it around our course half way decent with them as well, considering my handicap. Unfortunately I lack the control and club head speed for these clubs plus they just spun way too much for me. The CF19's were a great "compromise". They aren't huge like a SGI and they actually feel pretty nice when properly struck.

>

> All in all, I think the CF19's probably fit a wide range of players.

I couldn't agree with you more about the CF19's. During my fitting at Club Champion, I hit two clubs that really stood out as far as feel is concerned. One was the Honma XP-1, which I would classify as a GI iron and I believe it is forged. Felt like butter. If I could order it custom fit to my specs, I'd probably order a set, but they don't have the customization that I need.

I'm a bogey golfer on a good day and I've begun using my son's CF19's pretty much exclusively. I've never had the height and distance I get out of these. I feel like I can really go at them and I don't lose control. My son, close to a scratch golfer, also loves them and can shape a shot any way you care to ask. That's a pretty good testament to them as he and I both have converged on the same set of irons after a season of trying out several sets. He, a really good golfer and me, just this side of a hack, both enjoy playing a round with them as much as anything we've tried. I will say, they can be a bit "clicky" (for lack of a better description). Pured shots aren't as soft and buttery as several of the other sets we've tried. They don't feel bad, but it's not like hitting a Mizuno blade pure either. Of course I can only hit a blade pure every 20th shot so that's why we're back talking about these CF19's being my next set of irons.

I would say if your getting the same or slightly better performance from the cf19 over rogue x then stick to the cf19. Why play a more offset chunkier iron if the number or the same or worse? Thats my opinion. Sometimes its easier to stike the ball with a better players club then a sgi club even if our scores domy reflect a better player. I like the look of blades for hitting at the ball and put a good swing on it too but my downfall is distance with them and consistent strike. The apex cf 19 seem to fit the perfect bill for me though. Not too big at all. Not to small at all. Great amount of forgivness. Just what im looking for. Just need the right shaft. Cant wait to get fitted for some.

• Like 1

> @iNeedMoreGolf said:

> I would say if your getting the same or slightly better performance from the cf19 over rogue x then stick to the cf19. Why play a more offset chunkier iron if the number or the same or worse? Thats my opinion. Sometimes its easier to stike the ball with a better players club then a sgi club even if our scores domy reflect a better player. I like the look of blades for hitting at the ball and put a good swing on it too but my downfall is distance with them and consistent strike. The apex cf 19 seem to fit the perfect bill for me though. Not too big at all. Not to small at all. Great amount of forgivness. Just what im looking for. Just need the right shaft. Cant wait to get fitted for some.

The variation between the CF19 and the Pro isn't super jarring also making this probably one of the best combo set irons if you wish to go that route. I have only hit the CF19's in the bay, but if I ever backed away from blades they would totally be in the running.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash