Prescription Glasses suggestions.

jrsgar

Getting ready to get my frist pair of Prescription glasses for Golf. I currently wear Progressive Bifocals for everyday use. What should I look for to play Golf in, also is there something I should point out during eye exam. Hopefully this question maks sense to People on this forum. Whe I talk with my friends and co-workers who do not play, they dont understand why I would need something like this. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would like to thank everyone who has responded, I have been making a effot when going to range to hit balls with regular Progressive bifocals on does take some getting used to when looking down at ball. Have paly in pair of regular sunglasses for the last few years. Starting to have little troulbe tracking in ball after impact. Just looking for few suggestions how others have addressed this issue. Thanks again for taking your time to respond.

I wear progressive bifocals, and, it does take some time to adjust. I have, also, tried single vision for better down range vision, which, does help for that. If I need to read some thing, I slide my glasses down my nose, and, am able to read with my single vision glasses. My glasses have high index lenses, so, for putting, I need to line up behind the ball, and, trust my line.

(Progressive lenses come in many different designs/flavours, and cover correction for distance, intermediate and near distances in a 'varifocal' manner... bifocals are the old and basic thing where you only have distance correction and a reading correction portion on the bottom of the lens. So bifocal progressive is not a thing at all... ;-) )

For golf there are sports specific progressive designs available - you'll need to find a good optician/optometrist who has experience and knowledge of them and the wide world of progressive lneses in general.

I had and still have a pair of Rodenstock golf/sports specific progressive and they do work well - I was sceptical as regular progressive is awful (with my correction) for sport. The sport specific design will be made to correct mainly for distance correction as that is what is needed, and only have minimal reading/near vision for minor use such as your score card etc - you wouldn't want to sit down and read a book with them.

Also, it's worth knowing that there are also office specific designs - these will have a much wider intermediate and near vision with little distance vision, and so work much, much better in an office where you might be using modern wide screen monitors and working at near to intermediate distances predominantly.

I don't use them any more as I got fed up with wearing glasses again, so now am using multifocal scleral contact lenses which are great (but then my eyes are a tasty combination of short sight & long sight with astigmatism and presbyopia)

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

I typically wear progressives for everyday tasks. I had a difficult time wearing them while golfing. I realized single vision lenses work fine for me while golfing. So I had some Oakley Flak 2.0 XL with golf prizm lenses made with single vision lenses. I also have a pair of Oakley's with just clear lenses for those overcast days.

Titleist TSR2 Ventus Blue TR
Taylormade SIM 2 Ti 3W

Taylormade Sim 2 5W
Ping G410 4 Hybrid
PXG 0311T Gen 4 5-GW, Steelfiber i95 
PXG Gen 2 Sugar Daddy 54
Titleist SM9 58T
Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport

Just have never tried contacts, thought that racing towards being 60 years old contacts would be kinda silly. But I think in different ways than normal people. have always just wore pair of off the rack sunglasses for golf. Could just continue to do that. Just thought that getting thoughts from guys on this site would be the best thing to do. Will try and make best use of what I have got from all of you. Thanks again

I am completely opposite of your experience. I have only worn glasses for a couple of years now, but I cant stand contacts. I constantly feel like something is bugging my eyes, and they haze up randomly throughout the day. I've tried many different kinds, and the only ones that sort of work for me are Acuvue Oaisys Hydraclear dailies. I can wear them for work so that I can use my cheap safety glasses, but that's it. When I first got them, I tried to play golf with them, but since I had been playing golf in my glasses for a while, I had no depth perception. I chunked/skulled/shanked just about every single iron shot on the front nine and I think I shot a 46-47. Took them out and put my prescription sunglasses on for the back 9, shot 37. I tried over a few rounds to wear the contacts just to confirm it wasn't a fluke day, and without fail, I just couldn't make solid contact. Since then, they have been designated for work only, and I think even for work, I have worn them 3-4 times over the last 9 moths I've had them.

I have a pair of Oakley frames with house brand polarized lenses from my optometrist office and they are fantastic for me for everyday wear and for golf.

There is a number between the two prescription when using progression lenses. If that number is too high you will have issue when looking down at the ball. I used to be able to play with progression lenses, but my vision got worse . Now I play golf with the farsighted prescription and see great. Those are my golf lenses only. Only issues is looking closely at the scoring card.

Count me as another voter who just cannot wear bifocals, progressives or not, for golf. Way too distracting, with no real advantage to the "reader" part of the lens for golf.

If you want prescription sunglasses, take a hard look at REKS. I wore prescription Oakleys for many years, but just got tired of the price. I tried REKS for the first time last summer, and can't recommend them highly enough. Great product, great customer service, and great price. They'll do pretty much anything you want; progressives, single vision, photochromatic, whatever. I'd rate the optical quality as dead even, if not better, than Oakley, and you can get two pairs of REKS almost for the price of one pair of Oakleys. And they do make a golf specific lens, fwiw.

From my experience the issue is the reading prescription in the progressive lenses. If the reading prescription for the progressive lenses is to high, when looking at the ball it will be just be off enough to make you want to move your head up or down to adjust. Trust me on this.

When I first got my first progressive lenses it took me a week to get used to them for every day work. Golf is another complete different issue. You need to focus on one spot with your head down.

Get your farsighted prescription install in a different frame and you'll never look back.

Once I mistakenly put my progressive lenses on, and after a few holes I noticed I was hitting half the ball on every shot. I'm a 6 index and was playing like a 25. Sure enough i had the wrong lenses on.

I've been wearing Oakley prescription sunglasses for over 20 years. Currently have Prizm Golf and Dark Golf which are fantastic high contrast lenses.

I can't even wear bi focal or vari-focals at anytime and definitely not for golf, but I am always sliding my glasses to the top of my head to read.

Whatever works.

I went from contacts to glasses a a couple of years ago and it was a tough transition mainly because the glasses I chose has small lense so I would see the edge. They were progressive as well and I didn't seem to have any issues with the progressive part but I did get the "upgraded" progressive design. After about of year of these glasses I decided to spend the money and get a pair of Maui Jim's sports style glasses (specific for golf) and I absolutely love them. That's pretty much all I wear outside. Good luck.

I’m with the others who have progressive glasses for every day use and single vision for golf. If you do get separate glasses for playing golf I do recommend that you get transitions vs sunglasses. Much better if you play into dusk or low light.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

The problem I have with transitions is when wearing a hat, it will cast a shadow (obviously, as it is designed to do), and if the entire lens is not covered by the shadow, only the exposed part darkens, then you have 1/2 dark lens and 1/2 clear. That bugs the daylights out of me. The only time I wear my regular glasses (which are progressive) on the course is if it is completely cloud covered. Otherwise, just stick to regular sunglasses.