GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Wife frequently tops shots

NevinW ·  
NevinWNevinW Southside, West VirginiaClubWRX  1225WRX Points: 228Handicap: 4Posts: 1,225 ClubWRX

I've been playing golf for 50 years, but after all of this time, my wife is just now taking up the game. The good news is that she plays with the ladies and has fun, but she really struggles with making good contact with the ball. She is tall and quite strong, so club head speed isn't an issue.  I have noticed that women sometimes struggle hitting down on the ball and she is in that category. She tops most of her shots. You can see her trying to lift the ball into the air. If she tees the ball really high, she is more likely to make solid contact. Any suggestions for getting her to not lift up or retain her spine angle that I could pass on to her? If she could just make solid contact more often, she would enjoy the game more. Thanks.

Posted:

Comments

• extrastiffextrastiff Members  1372WRX Points: 270Posts: 1,372 Platinum Tees

Start with 5 to 10 yard chips. Use your phone to take video. Show her that even on 5 to 10 yard chips, she is standing up during the downswing. It may be because she is tall and standing too close to the ball, or some other reason. But she will see if she is standing up even on those super short shots, and then she will have a much easier time practicing keeping her head Close to The ball, and maintaining her spine angle. Practice those shots until she can do them without lifting up throughout the shot. Increase it 5 yards at a time.New beginners trying to maintain spine angle throughout a full, typically off-balance swing, is an incredibly difficult task. My wife had great results with the method mentioned above

also,I would make sure she is focused on starting the downswing with her hips/bottom half. It is incredibly difficult to get consistent ball contact if the arms are starting the downswing imo,And practicing those short little chip shots is a nightmare if you do not have proper sequencing, chunky chili dip city

Posted:
    Xr 6* | hulk75tx(tipped 1.5, 44.75 playing length)   /  f9 13*  | hulk95tx (tipped 1.5, 43” playing length)  /  f8+ 16.5 | tzx100m5 (tipped 1.5, 41” playing length)  /   P790udi 17* | x7  /  p790 21*,24* | x7   Forgedonelength 4-p | x7wedge   md4 48*8, 54*10 | x7wedge  /  hitoe 64*5 | x7wedge  /   Phantomx(35”) | stabilitytour /  jumbomax ultralite xl  /  zstarxv

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • double_ddouble_d Members  494WRX Points: 197Posts: 494 Greens

If you want something simple, and non-technical that she doesn't have to "overthink" and can just have fun with, I would suggest looking into Harvey Penick's "clip the tee" drill.

Posted:
  • sarahmartinsarahmartin Spam  6WRX Points: 5Posts: 6 Bunkers

I used to have this problem when I started playing. I just had to tell myself to stay down, as a beginner I found I was standing up too early before making contact which made me top the ball. As double_d said, keep it simple!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.