Grinding a wedge!!!!

18910111214»

Comments

• A_G GolfA_G Golf Members Posts: 91 ✭✭
    I've been interested in doing some of this stuff myself so thank you for showing us how it's done!!!
    Driver: Ping G400 LST, Hzurdus Yellow
    3- Wood: Cobra F8+, Hzurdus Black
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, KBS Tour C-Taper X 130
    Wedges: Titiliest SM6 50* and 60*, Taylormade Spin Milled 56*
    Putter: Bettinardi BB1 (SummerLovin)
  • pcedenspcedens Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    joey3108 wrote:

Some of you guys asked me before if i could show you guys a step by step process.

Be aware that operating your tool without caution may give you a severe injury.

It looks very easy but if you never tried it, you will never know how hard it is to make them perfect.

Hope this is help some of your questions.

Joe

Love grinding wedges!
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad no more sears! Grinder looks cool

• tyorke1tyorke1 Members Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

what about rust prevention, anything we can do, I have grinded lots but after a bit they can look bad

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s ,
    m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x ,
    818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
    taylor p790 17 degree
    titleist ap3 
    vokey 52--56--60
    taylormade spider tour dj version
    epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 
  • PittknifePittknife Members Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@tyorke1 said:
    what about rust prevention, anything we can do, I have grinded lots but after a bit they can look bad

depends if its carbon or cast stainless, most wedges vokeys etc are cast stainless, they shouldn't oxidize, use a finer grit belt like 600-800 AO. If it's carbon not much can be done except have some one chrome/pvd/ or another coating on it. You can high buff to mirror which will protect it some but as soon as you scratch it and moisture sets it will rust again.

• mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I would post these...I was just reading through this thread and I like higher bounced wedges so other than a few little tweaks here and there never had to do a ton of sole grinding on my wedges. I do however grind the lead edge on almost ever set of irons I’ve owned. I like a blunted lead edge and I’m very picky about the lead edge being very square with no roundness or onset. This is my current set of Cobra MB/CB satins.

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• HitaHouseHitaHouse Members Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

@mogc60 said:
    I thought I would post these...I was just reading through this thread and I like higher bounced wedges so other than a few little tweaks here and there never had to do a ton of sole grinding on my wedges. I do however grind the lead edge on almost ever set of irons I’ve owned. I like a blunted lead edge and I’m very picky about the lead edge being very square with no roundness or onset. This is my current set of Cobra MB/CB satins.

Nice! that is really delicate and precise work. I like a straighter, more blunt leading edge too. What is your process? I grind a little, then quickly go to a belt sander and sand paper.

edited Aug 4, 2019 2:10pm #399

@HitaHouse said:

@mogc60 said:

Nice! that is really delicate and precise work. I like a straighter, more blunt leading edge too. What is your process? I grind a little, then quickly go to a belt sander and sand paper.

I mark my line across the bottom of the face where I want the new edge to be. I use a bench grinder and just lightly grind with the sole down and trying to move the lead edge up so I’m grinding the bottom of the face. Then I lean the top of the head toward me just a bit and start to blend it into a nice fairly round blunt edge. I finish it with sanding pads. The bigger firm ones. Start with 60 grit then move to 120 and finish with 220/320. I’ve done it for 15 years or so. I used to use a sanding belt but I’ve gotten good enough on the grinder with it that there isn’t a lot of sanding left to do after. Just getting the grind smoothed out a bit.
    Here is my progression...no I’m not grinding in these pics but give you an idea of the angles I’m trying to explain. And the pads I use.

SNELL MTB-X

• Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 873 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were done with a Harbor freight sanding drum attachment on a drill, finished with a harbor freight sanding drum on a dremel. I encourage everyone to grind a wedge before they die.

Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla Tour Blue 75g
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla Tour Blue
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
    TP5X
  • Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Little better pic:

Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla Tour Blue 75g
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla Tour Blue
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
    TP5X
  • dmecca2dmecca2 Scranton, PAMembers Posts: 25 ✭✭

Looking to self grind for the first time soon. Plan is to bend my 52 degree strong and bend my 58 degree weak, while adding a 56 in between to fill the gap. Will need to grind to fix the bounce after bending. Thanks for the thread an I definitely feel more prepared now!

• Jul89Jul89 Members Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

Can you grind the leading edge in a way that makes it have more bounce? I always struggle with digging into the ground when chipping with my wedges.

@Jul89 said:
    Can you grind the leading edge in a way that makes it have more bounce? I always struggle with digging into the ground when chipping with my wedges.

You can blunt the lead edge and raise it slightly basically creating forward “bounce”
    and making it less likely to dig.

SNELL MTB-X

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list