2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Review: Callaway RAZR Hawk Tour

another overly wordy beruo post with pics
THE PREAMBLE:

Drivers…can’t live with them, can’t live without them--am I right? For someone who fancies himself a 15 (right now, more vanity than actual, I think), I tend to be extraordinarily streaky with the driver. Some days I can’t miss and am really long. Other days; not so much. Despite many driver purchases over the last couple years, I’ve more or less stuck to my PING Rapture V2 (with 6W06) for all of that time. It’s been a great driver, but as I’m not much with the confidence and consistency (unlike my hybrids or irons), I’m always on the lookout for something else. When the opportunity to review Callaway’s RAZR Hawk Tour arose, I jumped at the chance and have been REALLY happy with the results!

THE REVIEW

Quick highlights:

THE PROS
Callaway’s RAZR Hawk Tour is everything a driver should be. It’s a solid feeling, mid-ish launch bomb dropper with a relatively small footprint. This is a driver that is every bit as good as the early hype promised it would be!

THE CONS
The break on the crown has been a mainstay on Callaway drivers since the FT3. But with the move from carbon fiber to forged composite, maybe it’s time for a seamless look? PLEASE! Also, the back and forth with TM over paint color is getting lame. Stop, please.

THE NUTSHELL
This is a driver I plan to spend much time with! Each outing increases my confidence all the more with the results I've been seeing. Last week, with my daughter in tow, she exclaimed more than once, “Daddy, where did the ball go?” That sums it up nicely. :good:

THE LONG-WINDED PART

When picking my specs, I was basically forced to go with the Tour model as it is the only one that is available in the neutral configuration for lefties. The RAZR Hawk is available in 10.5 and 11.5 in the draw configurations, with the 11.5 being 1* closed, but as a slice isn’t my usual miss, and I'm happy with a fade, the RHT was the way to go. I chose the Kai’li 70S as it specs close to the Rombax 6W06 that I’ve had so much luck with and as the reviews and recommendations seem glowing.

APPEARANCE
The biggest issue I used to have with Callaway woods in the past has been the lack of hosels. Fortunately it seems that Callaway has done away with that mentality, even if it came at the cost of dropping the I-Mix design. Unfortunately, that void has since been filled with the multi-piece crown construction. I’m not a fan of the look, and hope that the forged composite will allow Callaway to utilize some kind of brazing process to seamlessly join the components together.

Minor complaints aside, the RAZR Hawk Tour offers a confidence-inspiring deep face and otherwise super clean look at address. It’s relatively compact at address, which makes me feel a whole lot more comfortable looking down. It’s not quite as pretty as the Cleveland Launcher DST at address, but few drivers are, IMO. And as the DST is only 430cc compared to the RHT’s 450, it's not a fair fight. Between this and the R11, my daughter like the looks of the R11; mostly for the red lines. Me, I have to roll with the sleek, traditional look of the RAZR Hawk Tour.

PERFORMANCE AND PLAYABILITY
THIS is one of the reasons I love this driver! It just works. It doesn’t take a lot of effort to make this driver go, and as I’m still early in my season (it snowed on us last Saturday!), this is important. And when I do go after it, I’m rewarded more for good swings than I’m punished for bad. So far my drives have ranged from about 240 yards on the real low end (high pushes), and 280 on the high averages with the bulk coming in at 265-270 (using a upro go to verify). However, keep in mind that I play at a high elevation, so these numbers aren’t as impressive as I think they are.

I’m not sure how the standard version plays, but I think I read ROBOPTI mention that his RAZR Hawk Tour is really low launch and low spin. HOWEVER, for those of us mortals who are afraid of killing worms and gophers, no need to fear. I found mine to launch with a pleasant, yet strong middling trajectory, with an even more pleasant middling spin. This is probably a result of the Kai’li 70S shaft and my utilizing Srixon’s Z-STAR golf ball (same launch and spin with both white and yellow versions ;)).

So I’m guessing that the RAZR Hawk Tour is a truly neutral head that will accommodate many folks provided you’ve got a shaft that fits and a ball you like. I usually play a fade more often than not, and this driver likes to cooperate. If I need to play it lower or have to go the other way, I just move the ball back a bit and it works out just nicely. The RHT is a veritable Switzerland of drivers both in neutrality and the Swiss-ness of its utility.

Forgiveness seems to be a little better than the Rapture V2, which I stayed with so long because of how forgiving it was. The lower ball flight in the RHT helps mishits to go further, at least for me, as I mentioned earlier that those mishits tended to be high pushes. But I think most of the forgiveness I’m perceiving is a result of how responsive this driver is. I’m taking very controlled swings and getting great results.

FEEL
And THIS is the other reason I love this driver! When the RAZR Hawk Tour was first announced, how this forged composite material was even thinner and stronger than titanium, I thought it was going to be wildly loud and tinny. Not. The. Case. This is how a driver should sound, and reminds me much of the 975J-VS of yesteryear. It’s not overly muted like the FT-9. It’s just nice. Even hitting balls at the range is pleasant as it almost feels like you’re hitting premium balls.

It needs to be said that the Mitsubishi Kai’li is a wickedly smooth shaft. And paired with the RAZR Hawk Tour? Think 20 year old scotch watered down with 30 year old scotch. Smooth. We’re talking Barry White/Will Smith love child smooth. It’s kind of an awesome combo.

OVERALL BOTTOM LINE
Hard to choose between “Thank you sir. May I have another?” and “Yes, and yes.” This was a driver that was on my radar before I had an opportunity to play testing panel for it and exceeds all the hype I read here coming into the season. This driver is now my go-to and has earned its place in my bag. Right now, the only driver I see myself trying is whatever PING releases in the next bit…and that’s only because I really like PING. Even then, it’ll be a tall, tall order to replace the RAZR Hawk Tour.

Disclaimer:
this driver was provided by Callaway Golf through GolfWRX as part of a testing panel program. So my thanks to Callaway Golf, Gxgolfer, and easyyy for making this available to me. That said, I would have bought this driver on my own, and would have been as happy to write a review—though it would have been completed in a less timely manner. I am, after all, a fairly lazy fella’. :pardon:

THE PICTURES:

rht01.jpg
rht03.jpg
rht04.jpg
rht05.jpg
rht06.jpg
rht07.jpg
rht08.jpg
:hi:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the excellent write-up.This is one of the better looking drivers for 2011.I'm going to a demo daythis weekend & it'll be one of the drivers that i'm interested in.How is the face angle compared to the FT Tour?Cally states that it's 1.5* open,but compared to the 9015D-the FT looks square.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

Great review. I'm a huge fan of the Razr Hawk Tour. I would definitely agree with your views on the ball flight. The lower spin gives an awesome boring ball flight and the feel and sound are lovely.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

[quote name='tinman' timestamp='1304934531' post='3218315']
Thanks for the excellent write-up.This is one of the better looking drivers for 2011.I'm going to a demo daythis weekend & it'll be one of the drivers that i'm interested in.How is the face angle compared to the FT Tour?Cally states that it's 1.5* open,but compared to the 9015D-the FT looks square.
[/quote]

I'm not too sure about the comparison to the FT-Tour as I've got no real-world experience with it outside a few waggles at a golf shop. [url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/Global/en-US/Products/Clubs/Drivers/RAZRHawkDriver/Specifications.html"]CallawayGolf.com[/url] lists the Razr Hawk Tour as being 1.0* open, but to my eye it sits pretty dead square. The address pic above looks a smidge closed, but that's just a result of me flipping the driver around for pics.

Enjoy your demo day and please report your impressions. I'm kinda curious to see if my observations are the supported by others or if I'm just up in the night. :D

[quote name='progolfer33' timestamp='1304934942' post='3218318']
Great review. I'm a huge fan of the Razr Hawk Tour. I would definitely agree with your views on the ball flight. The lower spin gives an awesome boring ball flight and the feel and sound are lovely.
[/quote]

Thanks much. Now I'm glad it's looking like it's not just me! ;)

Your OVERALL BOTTOM LINE section says it all. Well said. I'm always glad when somebody finds their go to stick. I can also appreciate your looking at the next evolution of Ping drivers as a possible replacement. I know I like to try the new models each year in hopes of hitting more fairways and getting more distance out of my swing.

I appreciate the disclaimer. Your more of a man than I as I know I wouldn't drop $749 on a driver without hitting that setup as a demo.I don't even know if that setup is available in their demo cart.

Did you ever hit a Callaway Razr Hawk Tour demo before you were selected to participate in the test panel program?

I myself was disappointed with the Callaway Razr Hawk Tour. I went to two demo days with the second one being at my home club. At the first demo day, I didn't pay much attention to Callaway as I knew they were going to be at my club less than a week later. While I was at the first demo, one golfer was being fitted on the trackman and the Callaway rep asked them to go back to the bag and get their current driver to hit on the trackman to compare against the Razr Hawk. I thought that was great. When they showed up at my club, I was holding my TaylorMade R11 and the Callaway rep told me if I wanted to hit that on a trackman, I'd better find a TaylorMade launch monitor. I never asked to hit my R11 on their trackman. Heck, I was just going through the demos looking for a stiff when the rep made his comment. I wanted to hit each one after another to compare for myself. I would have welcomed the opportunity to hit both on the their trackman if I was asked. I was totally turned off by the Callaway rep and my club pro lost a sale that day. I ended up purchasing a used Razr Hawk Tour from Golfsmith mainly because of all the hype surrounding the driver. I got the most roll of any driver I ever tried with the Razr Hawk Tour but the stock shaft wasn't a match for me and I didn't like the feel of the driver. It may have been different if I had a better experience at the Callaway Demo Day.

PXG Gen4 0811 X 9
PXG Gen4 0341 X 5

Ping G410 19 Hybrid

PXG Gen4 4 Hybrid

Titleist T400 5-49W
Titleist Vokey SM7 56
Ping TR Nome

Great Review!!! I actually just got a tour issued one over here in Singapore and I think my driver head search is over. I just need to match it with the proper shaft and I will be all set.

This has to be one of the better drivers I have hit in some time. Lower flight, no spin issues (even with a 9.5)...I think this one is a keeper.

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

If my new 910d2 doesn't behave itself then this will be what goes in and replaces it. Let me if you get sick of it. I will happily place it in the bag for a while.

Good luck with your new driver. I do hope it works for you because this one won't be available any time soon! :tongue:

Again, I would love to have one but Cally upcharge prices are nuts! If they would give me a $100 credit back for the stock rip...then maybe. I want to put this one up against my octane tour and see what happens....have fun!

THANK YOU!!! I knew I forgot to add something, and I suppose this is the one drawback in having this kind of review--not taking price into the equation (something i think i've always taken care to do). You're absolutely correct. Callaway's upcharge for premium shafts has to be the worst among OEMs, especially given that you're starting off with a premium shaft in the RIP Tour. Taylormade, on the other hand is king, with PING coming in close behind if you consider the lower prices on the stock shafts.

Anyway, thank you for your input. :good:

Your OVERALL BOTTOM LINE section says it all. Well said. I'm always glad when somebody finds their go to stick. I can also appreciate your looking at the next evolution of Ping drivers as a possible replacement. I know I like to try the new models each year in hopes of hitting more fairways and getting more distance out of my swing.

I appreciate the disclaimer. Your more of a man than I as I know I wouldn't drop $749 on a driver without hitting that setup as a demo.I don't even know if that setup is available in their demo cart.

Did you ever hit a Callaway Razr Hawk Tour demo before you were selected to participate in the test panel program?

I myself was disappointed with the Callaway Razr Hawk Tour. I went to two demo days with the second one being at my home club. At the first demo day, I didn't pay much attention to Callaway as I knew they were going to be at my club less than a week later. While I was at the first demo, one golfer was being fitted on the trackman and the Callaway rep asked them to go back to the bag and get their current driver to hit on the trackman to compare against the Razr Hawk. I thought that was great. When they showed up at my club, I was holding my TaylorMade R11 and the Callaway rep told me if I wanted to hit that on a trackman, I'd better find a TaylorMade launch monitor. I never asked to hit my R11 on their trackman. I wanted to hit each one after another to compare for myself. I would have welcomed the opportunity to hit both on the their trackman if I was asked. I was totally turned off by the Callaway rep and my club pro lost a sale that day. I ended up purchasing a used Razr Hawk Tour from Golfsmith mainly because of all the hype surrounding the driver. I got the most roll of any driver I ever tried with the Razr Hawk Tour but the stock shaft wasn't a match for me and I didn't like the feel of the driver. It may have been different if I had a better experience at the Callaway Demo Day.

Great observations, happy. Sorry to read about your experience with the Callaway reps. I'm actually surprised by this as I've heard instances where Callaway reps go out of their way to get people holding R11s to hit it against the RHT on their monitor--and generally for good reason.

As for your questions, I only got a chance to hit the RAZR Hawk (non-tour model) once before getting in on the panel. I'm pretty sure it was the 10.5º and not the 11.5º but the launch angle seemed ridiculously high from what I recall. Granted, it was on a launch monitor so I'm betting the numbers were skewed a bit. I also wasn't impressed with the feel of the shaft, though I can't recall anything specific. I do remember how nice it sounded though and was planning on trying it at a demo day. Given the premium, I definitely would have had to demo the driver before making a purchase, and would probably have swapped in my 6W06 if price was an issue.

Hope this answers your questions. Thanks again for your comments. :hi:

Great Review!!! I actually just got a tour issued one over here in Singapore and I think my driver head search is over. I just need to match it with the proper shaft and I will be all set.

This has to be one of the better drivers I have hit in some time. Lower flight, no spin issues (even with a 9.5)...I think this one is a keeper.

Thanks much, Dan. Means a bit coming from you. :friends: Good luck with yours, keep it in the short stuff!

Nice review B-Dog! Glad to here your snow has finally subsided as well. partytime2.gif

Thank you, Scotty-pants! :drinks: Feel free to post this up in your magazine. Just remember to cite your source. :tongue: I'm starting to reconsider my position on Canada. As I mentioned, we had some serious snow on April 30th, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some more this week. And Canada's got one HUGE thing on the States...golf on Scott! :clapping:

[i]Thanks much, Dan. Means a bit coming from you. :friends: Good luck with yours, keep it in the short stuff![/i]

No worries my man. One of the better reviews I have read in quite some time. Just goes to show you how great WRX is and the people that keep it running. Pop on here and get a great review of a current hot club.

Appreciate the well wishes.

Dan

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

great review - and i love the SMOOTH reference(s)!

this driver is incredible... mine was on order for almost four weeks with the stock shaft. however, the 8.5* head is still back-ordered and to the point where they couldn't give a date?? one month possibly more. this was not well received by me.... love the driver - frustrated that it may not be in my bag because i am not willing to wait for over a month to have a driver. this wouldn't be bad, but my other driver was traded in. i have a demo club right now that is at an ungodly 45.5"...

I wish I would've tried it with an upgraded shaft. The stock RIP in an X-stiff might be regular flex if I'm being generous. I could not get the thing to fly straight. Looks and feels great. Sound is very dull, but I hate the fact that I have to order a new shaft before I can put the thing in play. My Superdeep was longer anyways. I returned the RHT and bought a new Scotty.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

GREAT review !!!!

I think in fairness - I have to say mine isn't hitting "low" bullets - It's just that the launch conditions at 8.5* with the Kai'Li make me curious to try a higher loft as it just to eat up spin into the wind etc. It hits a very pleasing to the eye rocket of a ball. My opinion has not changed on power - It's a HOWITZER.

Always enjoy your posts ... Keep us in the loop going forward ;) robo-pheus.gif

I love mine with stock RIP in X, but I want to move to an aftermarket shaft (possibly Mitsubishi- Kai'li, Ahina or Fubuki was thinking). Can someone please post if they've tried various shafts with this head?????????? I actually hit the stock shaft fairly well, but want to get the spin rate down a bit more and tighen up my dispersion.

Currently playing the 9.5 in X. Getting a phenominal launch and ball flight (I think my spin is in the 3,000 neighborhood), but looking for a bit less spin, better feel (I think the RIP lacks in the feel department) and less draw.

So far I would say that I've hit some of my longest drives ever with this driver. When you connect, it just screams. The forgiveness is not amazing, but it is also not bad by any stretch.

I would LOOVE to hear someone chime in on their experience with demoing the stock RIP versus some nice aftermarkets.:drinks:

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1304966228' post='3219329']
I love mine with stock RIP in X, but I want to move to an aftermarket shaft (possibly Mitsubishi- Kai'li, Ahina or Fubuki was thinking). Can someone please post if they've tried various shafts with this head?????????? I actually hit the stock shaft fairly well, but want to get the spin rate down a bit more and tighen up my dispersion.

Currently playing the 9.5 in X. Getting a phenominal launch and ball flight (I think my spin is in the 3,000 neighborhood), but looking for a bit less spin, better feel (I think the RIP lacks in the feel department) and less draw.

So far I would say that I've hit some of my longest drives ever with this driver. When you connect, it just screams. The forgiveness is not amazing, but it is also not bad by any stretch.

I would LOOVE to hear someone chime in on their experience with demoing the stock RIP versus some nice aftermarkets.:drinks:
[/quote]

I know this may sound "nuts" and a bit less "chic", but I'm playing the 8.5* RH Tour with the Speeder 652 X flex tipped 1/2" and it's unreal. Just unreal. KILLED the spin and mid-launch for me. That's readily available through Callaway Golf as well, as they did the re-shaft for me. Plus, very smooth feeling even for an X flex tipped 1/2" too.

Hi Golfware.....I'll look into that shaft.....don't know much about it to be honest.

Thanks!

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1304966228' post='3219329']

[/quote]

I exhaustively demo'ed the Razr Hawk Tour 9.5 w/ the stock RIP shaft in Stiff-flex. I fell in love with the driver immediately. It's very good as far as a stock shaft goes, but I too, would love to try it with an aftermarket Mitsubishi Kai'li or Graphite Design Tour AD-I shaft. My fitter has almost everything from here as well as Japan, but he is having trouble getting demo heads (shortage on Callaway's part?) for them to outfit with premium shafts. :(

Bridgestone Tour B - X driver + FUJIKURA Speeder757 Evolution III 
Cobra F8 Tour 3-wood + ALDILA NV Green 75s
BRIDGESTONE Tour B XD-H 21* + Nippon NS Pro950 UT
Irons: MIZUNO Pro221 + DG S300
Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1304973736' post='3219683']
Hi Golfware.....I'll look into that shaft.....don't know much about it to be honest.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Yes. I called Callaway Customer Service and they recommended the shaft based upon my information and stats. They were awesome. Just awesome. I was leary at first, but after having put it into play, it's the freakin' real deal Holyfield.

Thanks for the comments and discussion, all. I too am interested to hear what combinations work out best for people with this head. As has been mentioned, Callaway has some really good shafts to choose from, as long as you can drop the coin. It's great to hear that Callaway was so helpful with the fitting and provided an option that may have otherwise gone unnoticed. Thanks, golfware!

great review - and i love the SMOOTH reference(s)!

this driver is incredible... mine was on order for almost four weeks with the stock shaft. however, the 8.5* head is still back-ordered and to the point where they couldn't give a date?? one month possibly more. this was not well received by me.... love the driver - frustrated that it may not be in my bag because i am not willing to wait for over a month to have a driver. this wouldn't be bad, but my other driver was traded in. i have a demo club right now that is at an ungodly 45.5"...

Ha! Thanks. I was feeling particularly clever right then. As for the 44.5" shaft--I believe that's what the stock specs list this as. Shorter than the standard RAZR Hawk's 46", and other company's 47". I ordered this driver at 45", and I think the spec sheet lists the swingweight as D3-4? Can't recall. HOPEFULLY your order gets processed soon. Might be you want to call up Callaway's customer service department? I'm sure they'd rather help you than lose your business.

Why didn't anyone tell me Barry White & Will Smith had a love child???? :angry22:

Nice job, your Swiss-ness. :good:

Danke, Todd. The aforementioned love child is a figment of my creativity. I originally spoke of a union between Barry White and Neil Patrick Harris, but that hit a little too close to home. I would jump in a closet to come back out for NPH. He's dreamy. :D

GREAT review !!!!

I think in fairness - I have to say mine isn't hitting "low" bullets - It's just that the launch conditions at 8.5* with the Kai'Li make me curious to try a higher loft as it just to eat up spin into the wind etc. It hits a very pleasing to the eye rocket of a ball. My opinion has not changed on power - It's a HOWITZER.

Always enjoy your posts ... Keep us in the loop going forward ;) robo-pheus.gif

Thank you, Rob! I tried to avoid reviews of this driver before writing my own so as to keep mine clean of other folks' impressions, but I kind of make it a point to read yours. Great combination of information and flippant humor. Makes for a good read, always. :hi:

the tour I had (Motore F1) was a super club as far as getting good distance was concerned but I couldn't hit enough fairways with it.. would like to try the regular (non-tour) version.. soon.. nothing has come close to my FT-3.. long and easy hitting at 44 1/2". Have no need to work the ball off the tee.. straight works just fine for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm gonna move forward with an ahina 70 gram in X shaft for my RHT 9.5°.

I'e tried the shaft in the past and thought it was very nice and smooth for a low launch/spin shaft. Fingers Crossed, it is what I'm hoping for.

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1305809320' post='3246628']
I think I'm gonna move forward with an ahina 70 gram in X shaft for my RHT 9.5°.

I'e tried the shaft in the past and thought it was very nice and smooth for a low launch/spin shaft. Fingers Crossed, it is what I'm hoping for.
[/quote]

Good luck to you. Definitely more shaft than I can handle, but if it fits your profile half as much as the Kai'li does mine, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed!

i won't let myself near either this or the FT tour when i'm at my local store for fear that i will buy it. I honestly don't know how i never owned the FT tour since the voodoo is basically my favorite shaft, and i crushed an FT9 tour for over a year. Why do i have these stupid house payments??? arghhhh

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I recently purchased this driver after a fitting with the Callaway tour fit van. The Callaway guys were extremely helpful. Dan, who fit me, told me he travels with the van all year and fits the pros.

He put me in a 9.5 Razr Hawk Tour with a V265g shaft. He told me the head was 1* open. According to the trackman, with a 102 mph swing, my launch was 14.9, my spin was under 3000 and my distance (i think carry distance but am not certain) was 260. The ball flight was high and flat. Despite the open face, it was easy to turn the ball over. The club felt great.

I also bought a new set of razr x forged irons. As I am sure many of you hos can appreciate, Dan had me at hello.

I highly recommend this driver. I hope my fitting experience helps you pick your set up.

[quote name='indygolfman' timestamp='1306261766' post='3258848']
I've got an 8.5 with a Fubuki Alpha on the way and I'm about to pee my pants with excitement! The perfect combo perhaps? We shall see...
[/quote]

Could very well be for you, if those specs meet your needs. I'm a Fujikura fan going far back, but am extremely impressed with Mitsubishi's shafts lately. Good luck with your new driver, as well as whatever urinary incontinence issues you might have. :tongue:

Hey guys...... still using the stock RIP in X and just tagging the ball lately.

Just wanted to point something out that I've recently learned about this driver......if you tee it high, it just GOES and the feel is a bit less muted....has a bit more of a pingy sound to it. The ball just reaches its apex and hangs out with a donut and coffee. I think I was teeing the ball just slightly lower than I needed to with this puppy.

Can't recall ever enjoying a driver so much (and I've owned MANY- Ping G15, R9, TM Supertri, i15, G2 etc.). The HO in me wants to install a nice aftermarket, but the results are making it hard for me to pull the trigger. PLUS, I haven't yet had the opportunity to demo a good aftermarket in this head yet.

:D