Seeking advice on deal that may have gone south

thesamwise

Hey guys,

Let me pick your brains for a minute. I listed some things on BST on June 28th. Here's the listing:

[removed]

I received several PMs and offers and requests for deals on Friday and Saturday. I was able to come to an agreement with a member on Saturday morning. This member said that he accepted the deal and would send the funds on Saturday night. I then posted a message on my ad (still there) saying that payment was pending for the shoes and the shirt.

According to the member's profile, he last logged in late Saturday night.

Well, it's now Wednesday morning and I haven't received the funds or heard a word from this individual. Yesterday morning, I sent him a PM and an email (his email is listed in his profile) asking about the status of our deal, but I haven't heard anything back. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it's hard to not feel frustrated since I marked these two items as sold pending payment several days ago, and my ad is now in the bowels (page 4 or 5) of the BST.

How would you guys proceed here?

Thanks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happens. I understand your frustration. But the other member obviously backed out and doesnt have the stones to just come out and say it. I had that same thing happen to me....saw a WTB ad and I had what the member wanted. Agreed on everything. Never got payment. Never replied to PM. I put them on ignore since I dont want to be bothered by that type of person.

Just re-list. Good luck!!!

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Proceed to take it as a lesson learned. I know it was your first BST; sucks that you had to be initiated that way. You will come to find out this happens regularly. Note: I did not say all the time, but more often than one would like. My advice for future ads would be to not mark anything sold, pending, etc until you get that PayPal email. First to pay is the true buyer in my opinion. I never understood the whole "pending payment" status...all it does is limit your potential sale.

This is exactly why I never update my BST ads with "Pending". It's only going to hurt you. I leave it open until I have received payment. If I get multiple offers I will usually give the first person to respond a 30 minute window to send payment before I send my PayPal address to the next buyer.

It's unfortunate, but you never really know the buyer's circumstances. Maybe an emergency came up and he doesn't have the money, etc.

[quote name='thesamwise' timestamp='1372870863' post='7381450']
Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

Question: can I close this ad and then start a new ad, or do I just have to let it linger on page 5?

Also, would you leave negative feedback in this situation?
[/quote]

No way should negative feedback be left. You cant close your ad because you would have to wait 30 days to relist the items. You can however pay to have it pinned to page 1

[/quote]

Personally, I would give them a chance to respond to the emails and/or PMs before any feedback. Could be some other circumstance that came up.
Feel free to sell to someone else, but give them another week. If still no contact, then negative. They might have a good reason. (Or might not...)

[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1372871312' post='7381526']
[/quote]

Personally, I would give them a chance to respond to the emails and/or PMs before any feedback. Could be some other circumstance that came up.
Feel free to sell to someone else, but give them another week. If still no contact, then negative. They might have a good reason. (Or might not...)
[/quote]

Even then negative feedback is not warranted. The only time feedback should be left is once a deal has been made (payment received too) and then something goes wrong

I wouldnt leave feedback. There was no transaction, only the promise of one. Just block them. Pay $10 to have your ad pinned. If you close it - you will have to wait a month to re-list.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

g luck with selling - or glws as you will see in the bst forum. I had to ask someone what glws meant. :)

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you serious?! No transaction was made. Grounds for feedback stops right there. Besides backing out on a deal the guy did nothing wrong. Just wait the 30 days and relist is all you can do OP.

Edit: I would also change the title of the thread. Your deal didn't go south because a deal didn't happen.

PXG 0811X 9*: Graphite Design AD BB 6X
PXG 0341 15*: Graphite Design AD BB 7X
Callaway GBB 18*: Graphite Design AD DI 9X
Tour issue 913HD 20* Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW: KBS Tour 120 S
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52* and Tour issue 56*/ 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

If the seller has issues finding a buyer, or if prices have to drop due to delays or inability to find buyers (based on the idea that things were sold)...I could see a negative, not that I would, or would agree with it, just that I could see it. Of course, it'd be very hard to prove.

But to me the bigger issue is simple, person 1 contacts seller and they AGREE on a price to sell a product, then that person ceases communication - even after being pinged numerous times (and logging in here numerous times too) you cannot miss the email notification top right or emails that tell you have them....So, in my mind a deal has been struck - no money or goods have changed hands yet, but a deal has been struck. Jeeze how freaking hard is to say sorry, I can't do it? or make up a lie, my dog died and we need the money to bury him (kidding of course).

The buyer who AGREED to purchase has to take some responsibilty in this, what the heck has happened around here. I HATE ebay, but frankly I would have a hard time selling here based on the quantity of issues that seem to be arising and how some here tend to blame those who were wronged.

[quote name='CCUgolfer23' timestamp='1372874132' post='7381882']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you serious?! No transaction was made. Grounds for feedback stops right there. Besides backing out on a deal the guy did nothing wrong. Just wait the 30 days and relist is all you can do OP.

Edit: I would also change the title of the thread. Your deal didn't go south because a deal didn't happen.
[/quote]

Based on the comments made by a few other posters, I agree that negative feedback isn't warranted, but I don't agree that a deal didn't happen.

The first word that comes up if you type "deal" into a thesaurus is "agreement."A deal is an agreement between two parties, as in, we made a deal. The next step is the transaction. A transaction was not made, but an agreement (deal) certainly was.

Example: Whenever someone says, "But we had a deal!" they are not referring to payment, they are referring to the terms of the agreement that would lead to payment.

The member who contacted me accepted the price that I offered, and he stated that he would send payment that day. That is the definition of a deal.

That said, I hope that the member who contacted me is doing great and not in any kind of trouble (financial, medical, mental, etc). I'll find someone else to buy this stuff or I won't. No big deal (pun intentional!).

Have a great 4th, all.

It takes 2 or 3 buyers saying they will take it and will send money to the confirmed price you agree upon to get 1 buyer to follow through.

Don't send them your paypal address ask for their email and send them a Paypal invoice with the agreed upon details and paypal info.

The tire kickers won't send you their email as they really don't an official invoice stating the agreement.

If both parties come to an agreement and one of those parties don't follow through you should leave negative feedback.

The norm in BST is that the buyers disappears most of the time an agreement is made and until negative feedback is left for this buyers the norm will still be to have many buyers disappear after both parties have reached an agreement.

If you are going to back out at least tell the seller so they don't waste time waiting to do what you said you would do, I would not leave neg feedback if they at least tell you the are backing out.

I bet those buyers that disappear would be upset if the seller took their money and then a few days later said the sale was off and returned the funds.

[quote name='thesamwise' timestamp='1372875510' post='7382028']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Based on the comments made by a few other posters, I agree that negative feedback isn't warranted, but I don't agree that a deal didn't happen.

The first word that comes up if you type "deal" into a thesaurus is "agreement."A deal is an agreement between two parties, as in, we made a deal. The next step is the transaction. A transaction was not made, but an agreement (deal) certainly was.

Example: Whenever someone says, "But we had a deal!" they are not referring to payment, they are referring to the terms of the agreement that would lead to payment.

The member who contacted me accepted the price that I offered, and he stated that he would send payment that day. That is the definition of a deal.

That said, I hope that the member who contacted me is doing great and not in any kind of trouble (financial, medical, mental, etc). I'll find someone else to buy this stuff or I won't. No big deal (pun intentional!).

Have a great 4th, all.
[/quote]

Yeah this is probably tough to dispute. The feedback system is for transactions though, not for deals hence why there should be no negative feedback left

There is a difference between a deal and a transaction. The deal was broken so no transaction happened. It has been discussed at length before - feedback is for transactions only.

OP - sucks this is your introduction to the BST but it happens. As others have said, you could always close the ad and wait 30 days to relist, pay to pin the ad, or edit the current ad and hope someone stumbles across it.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='rjp322' timestamp='1372876388' post='7382146']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have a great 4th, all.
[/quote]

Yeah this is probably tough to dispute. The feedback system is for transactions though, not for deals hence why there should be no negative feedback left
[/quote]

Where it this stated on the feedback policy. Why defend people that don't follow through on what they agreed to do and then disappear.

[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1372877468' post='7382296']
Where it this stated on the feedback policy. Why defend people that don't follow through on what they agreed to do and then disappear.
[/quote]

When you try to leave feedback it says "[color=#777777][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]Select this member's role in the transaction."[/background][/size][/color]

[quote name='Air Jordan' timestamp='1372877807' post='7382352']
[/quote]

When you try to leave feedback it says "[color=#777777][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]Select this member's role in the transaction."[/background][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Select Buyer and notate they did not follow through with the agreement.

Last I checked an agreement is part of a transaction.

[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1372878034' post='7382378']
[quote name='Air Jordan' timestamp='1372877807' post='7382352']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Select Buyer and notate they did not follow through with the agreement.

Last I checked an agreement is part of a transaction.
[/quote]

Money needs to exchange hands for a transaction to have taken place. Golfwrx makes it pretty clear as someone already pointed out what it says when you try to leave feedback. Im not defending the "buyer" here but it happens to everyone who posts a BST ad. No one will dispute that an agreement is part of a transaction but there are other parts to it then that. No feedback is warranted here. That should be VERY obvious

Edit: WRX clearly states "[color=#7F7F7F][size=3]Please refer to the [/size][/color][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/210-bst-dispute-forum/"]BST Dispute forum[/url][color=#7F7F7F][size=3] or [/size][/color][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/267-bst-ad-questions/"]BST Ad Help Forum[/url][color=#7F7F7F][size=3] on how to resolve BST [b]transactions[/b] between Members. Use the >>Report<< button (even on your own listing) if help is needed. For any additional questions or Clarifications, please refer to the [/size][/color][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/267-bst-ad-questions/"]BST AD HELP FORUM[/url]

No where on wrx does it say potential deals
[color=#7F7F7F][size=3] [/size][/color]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have a great 4th, all.
[/quote]

If you want to get technical with it yeah a "deal" was made. However no money was exchanged so no feedback is to be given. Giving someone a negative feedback because they didn't buy something is absurd. And to the poster that said negative is fine if the seller has to take less or find another buyer. So what the OP has to find a new buyer and possibly take less he's not the only one to ever have that happen to him. Yeah it sucks as I have this happen often but to leave a negative feedback on a deal that didn't happen should not be allowed. The only thing the buyer did wrong in my eyes is not at least let the OP know he didn't want the item.

Edit: I'm in no way attacking You personally Sam. It really sucks that was your intro to the bst. You have to weed through people who kick tires and people who want to buy. I agree with someone before that by saying "first to pay gets the item". Hope all future bst ads go well for you.

[quote name='CCUgolfer23' timestamp='1372881623' post='7382758']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have a great 4th, all.
[/quote]

If you want to get technical with it yeah a "deal" was made. However no money was exchanged so no feedback is to be given. Giving someone a negative feedback because they didn't buy something is absurd. And to the poster that said negative is fine if the seller has to take less or find another buyer. So what the OP has to find a new buyer and possibly take less he's not the only one to ever have that happen to him. Yeah it sucks as I have this happen often but to leave a negative feedback on a deal that didn't happen should not be allowed. The only thing the buyer did wrong in my eyes is not at least let the OP know he didn't want the item.

Edit: I'm in no way attacking You personally Sam. It really sucks that was your intro to the bst. You have to weed through people who kick tires and people who want to buy. I agree with someone before that by saying "first to pay gets the item". Hope all future bst ads go well for you.
[/quote]

I was stating to wait...to not leave negative now. If they come back with some lame excuse that he wanted to screw over the seller so he wouldn't be able to sell it or some kind of crazy story, then yes, there should be some means to let people know this. Given that feedback is only for transactions and not deals, as has been brought up here, then NO feedback should be given, but a thread outing this "potential buyer" should be used for the negative feedback; one different than this one, but only if he comes back with a lame story. If no response, let it ride and try to sell again.

***First to send Paypal gets the item*** Put that in your ads and your success rate on the BST will jump immediately.

I got tired of this situation right here. Ever since I went to this rule, things were very simple. People would said I'd take it, I would send my paypal and say the item is still for sale until you send payment.

If it was someone who had a nice feedback score, and I'm talking 50+, I would say sold and hold it for them if they told me they would send payment that night or whatever.

PING G400 LST 10* Tensei Pro Orange
TI 16 Tmag M2 16.5 Tensei Pro White
Taylormade P790 3-PW KBS $-Taper
Vokey SM7 54, 60
Few CT's
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614765-noyes-witb-updated-8-4-13/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1372876301' post='7382138']
It takes 2 or 3 buyers saying they will take it and will send money to the confirmed price you agree upon to get 1 buyer to follow through.

Don't send them your paypal address ask for their email and send them a Paypal invoice with the agreed upon details and paypal info.

The tire kickers won't send you their email as they really don't an official invoice stating the agreement.

If both parties come to an agreement and one of those parties don't follow through you should leave negative feedback.

The norm in BST is that the buyers disappears most of the time an agreement is made and until negative feedback is left for this buyers the norm will still be to have many buyers disappear after both parties have reached an agreement.

If you are going to back out at least tell the seller so they don't waste time waiting to do what you said you would do, I would not leave neg feedback if they at least tell you the are backing out.

I bet those buyers that disappear would be upset if the seller took their money and then a few days later said the sale was off and returned the funds.
[/quote]

It has been stated numerous times by moderators you CANNOT leave feedback unless money has exchanged hands...Situation sucks but is has happened to everyone at some point, nothing you can do except move on.

TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha Adams XTD ti 14.5 w/ red tie Adams Pnt 20* w/ Matrix Altus Nike Covert forged 4-Gw w/ Nippon SPB Betti BB54 Skull & Crossbones Vokey TVD M 54* & Scratch DW 58*

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have a great 4th, all.
[/quote]

If you want to get technical with it yeah a "deal" was made. However no money was exchanged so no feedback is to be given. Giving someone a negative feedback because they didn't buy something is absurd. And to the poster that said negative is fine if the seller has to take less or find another buyer. So what the OP has to find a new buyer and possibly take less he's not the only one to ever have that happen to him.[u][b] Yeah it sucks as I have this happen often but to leave a negative feedback on a deal that didn't happen should not be allowed. T[/b][/u]he only thing the buyer did wrong in my eyes is not at least let the OP know he didn't want the item.

[/quote]

It actually isn't allowed, this has been discussed a few different times here and no feedback may be left unless money has exchanged hands

TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha Adams XTD ti 14.5 w/ red tie Adams Pnt 20* w/ Matrix Altus Nike Covert forged 4-Gw w/ Nippon SPB Betti BB54 Skull & Crossbones Vokey TVD M 54* & Scratch DW 58*

[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1372882564' post='7382844']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have a great 4th, all.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I was stating to wait...to not leave negative now. If they come back with some lame excuse that he wanted to screw over the seller so he wouldn't be able to sell it or some kind of crazy story, then yes, there should be some means to let people know this. Given that feedback is only for transactions and not deals, as has been brought up here, then NO feedback should be given, but a thread outing this "potential buyer" should be used for the negative feedback; one different than this one, but only if he comes back with a lame story. If no response, let it ride and try to sell again.
[/quote]

This stuff happens ALL the time! Should we pin a thread and out every single person who doesn't pay after they said they would in said pinned ad? The guy didn't need a good excuse, and even if he had the worlds worse excuse outing him would be wasteful as he is not the only person to do this.