Denver vs Colorado Springs

I currently reside in Wisconsin. I'm looking to take a long weekend trip solo probably like a Thursday to Sunday or Friday to Sunday. Being that I'm 24 I'm looking into what is more cost effective to me between Denver or Colorado Springs. Pros vs cons to either. Also I'm looking for a really solid practice facility as well. Not so much a driving range but a short game facility to compliment a driving range. Also maybe courses near hotels and where to stay somewhat cheap as I will most likely be ubering from the hotel to the golf course.

Thanks,

Ben

Comments

• pseudoswedepseudoswede Members Posts: 1,319 ✭✭
    Are you looking to play multiple courses?

I can only think of a handful of courses with hotels attached to them: Omni Interlocken, Lone Tree Golf Course, Inverness, The Broadmoor, and Cheyenne Mountain Resort. Since I'm a local, I don't make much of an effort to see what hotels are nearby the courses I play. Sorry. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

One of your better bets might be Green Valley Ranch. They offer a $20/day range pass which includes unlimited play on their Par 3 course. Then you could hop on the regular course using the $36 twilight fee. Looks like there are a lot of hotels within a 4-mile radius.
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end."

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Ping S56 3-PW (purple dot)
    Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (purple dot)
    Ping Redwood Piper S 34"
    Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,780 ✭✭
    If you can afford it, The Broadmoor in CS. First class hotel, first class golf courses, but pricey. Full resort, eating and drinking on site, you won't have to leave. Know nothing about the practice facilities, but the Women's US Open was held there, so probably also first class.
  • bshoversbshovers Posts: 298

Are you looking to play multiple courses?

I can only think of a handful of courses with hotels attached to them: Omni Interlocken, Lone Tree Golf Course, Inverness, The Broadmoor, and Cheyenne Mountain Resort. Since I'm a local, I don't make much of an effort to see what hotels are nearby the courses I play. Sorry. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

One of your better bets might be Green Valley Ranch. They offer a $20/day range pass which includes unlimited play on their Par 3 course. Then you could hop on the regular course using the $36 twilight fee. Looks like there are a lot of hotels within a 4-mile radius.

Now this is helpful. I like the all day range pass. As far as hotels attached thats not a requirement. I guess what I was trying to get at was I would like the course to be close enough to the hotel where a taxi or uber ride isnt more than say $10-$15.
    farmer wrote:

If you can afford it, The Broadmoor in CS. First class hotel, first class golf courses, but pricey. Full resort, eating and drinking on site, you won't have to leave. Know nothing about the practice facilities, but the Women's US Open was held there, so probably also first class.

I came across this place with just a basic google search. Looks like a pretty sweet track. I wish they had pictures of the practice facility but I'm sure its up to par with some of the tournaments its hosted.
    Someone told me bear dance just outside colorado springs isn't a bad track either. Is it close to anything or is it kind of in the middle of no where?
  • danzurdanzur Members Posts: 64
    bshovers wrote:

Someone told me bear dance just outside colorado springs isn't a bad track either. Is it close to anything or is it kind of in the middle of no where?

Bear Dance is a fun track, but it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I'm guessing there are hotels within 20-25 minutes in either direction.

Broadmoor practice facility-Broadmoor is first class all the way, incredible, and pricey resort. Many Championships and Majors have been played here. I've seen better practice areas, and far, far worse. Nice driving range about 150 yards from the pro shop, and a decent chipping green to the right of the driving range. There is a large putting green right outside the pro shop near the starters shack.
  • CSURam_06CSURam_06 Posts: 118 ✭✭
    Honestly, the Broadmoor's practice facility isn't that spectacular. It is in impeccable shape, but there are two short game areas that are relatively small, one at the front of the range and one at the back. The driving range does not have any target greens, just some flags. It is a beautiful facility all around. The largest public short game facility is probably Family Sports Center. Green Valley ranch is good, they have the par 3, which is nothing longer than 125 I believe, and I usually play 2-3 balls going around there, and takes 45 min or so.
  • masamitsumasamitsu Members Posts: 2,482 ✭✭
    Drove by Family Sports yesterday and the grass area is still roped off. I'm not sure when they open the grass part of the range.
    Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
    Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
    Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
    Titleist 4i AMT S300
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
    Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
    Carbon Ringo 1/4
    Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+
  • pseudoswedepseudoswede Members Posts: 1,319 ✭✭
    masamitsu wrote:

Drove by Family Sports yesterday and the grass area is still roped off. I'm not sure when they open the grass part of the range.

It wouldn't surprise me if they open it this weekend, but they typically open sometime in March.

The problem with Family Sports is that everyone and their brother (and sister) are all over the short game area and grass range on the weekends, and 95% of them have no idea how to properly hit off the grass area. (Oh gawd, I'm soundlng like a WRX'er!)
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end."

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Ping S56 3-PW (purple dot)
    Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (purple dot)
    Ping Redwood Piper S 34"
    Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 8,965 ✭✭
    Out of towner's perspective here image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Green Valley Ranch (maybe because it was two weeks after they held the NCAA Div 2s) had the best greens of our trip last year (GVR, Riverdale Dunes, Prairie Club Dunes/Pines, Wildhorse) and some of the best greens either of us saw all year. Bar a couple finicky holes, it is a really really good track, walkable too.

It makes a great arrival or getway day course, it took us 10 mins to get curbside at the airport from there.
  • TrentWunstelTrentWunstel Members Posts: 37
    If you are looking for a great short game practice area, I would hang out at Broken Tee Golf Course in Englewood. It is the greatest chipping/pitching area I have seen in the metro area. It is very large and they have quite a few different greens to work with. I have actually practiced 70 lob wedge shots here with no problem. It is like a Pelz playground practice area. There is also a decent par 3 to practice irons.

As for the courses, I would not play here for the 18 championship. Go to Fox Hollow, Arrowhead, or similar nice courses nearby. (Arrowhead has great rates right now on Golfnow)
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭
    Murphy Creek in Aurora is my favorite practice facility. Good sized putting green, a chipping green with bunkers, nice range, and some other areas to work on 40-ish yard pitch shots.

Also really like Todd Creek for practice facilities.
  • TrentWunstelTrentWunstel Members Posts: 37
    jacobEDGE wrote:

Murphy Creek in Aurora is my favorite practice facility. Good sized putting green, a chipping green with bunkers, nice range, and some other areas to work on 40-ish yard pitch shots.

I just played Murphy Creek for the first time last week. I have to agree, what a wonderful practice area.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,616 ClubWRX

jacobEDGE wrote:

I just played Murphy Creek for the first time last week. I have to agree, what a wonderful practice area.

I played it later last summer(first time also) but didn’t have time for much of a warm up, so I didn’t even see the range. Liked the course a lot.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,416 ClubWRX
    I started playing golf in the mid 80s in Colorado Springs and played most of my rounds at Patty Jewett Golf Course. I suppose nostalgia is one of the reasons I still like Patty Jewett. The course is crowded and I am not a fan of the former executive 9, never was.
    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW S-200
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • rkrechrkrech Members Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited Dec 23, 2017 #17
    jacobEDGE wrote:

I’m a big fan of Todd Creeks practice area. Long walk to get there. But the two short game greens with bunkers are great. Love that I can hit 40 yard shots into a real green.