Who was in the wrong? Me or the "marshal"

I too might be a little miffed at a marshal for not being nice, but you can't argue against the basic rule that she was trying to enforce: "no practice on the course." Pretty universal, pretty black and white.

We all have broken that rule from time to time, and we generally know it's wrong when we are doing it.

I'm sorry. Which Rule of Golf was that again ?

Certainly not Rule 7-2.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too might be a little miffed at a marshal for not being nice, but you can't argue against the basic rule that she was trying to enforce: "no practice on the course." Pretty universal, pretty black and white.

We all have broken that rule from time to time, and we generally know it's wrong when we are doing it.

Certainly not Rule 7-2.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :secret:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Recently bought a membership to the muni close to my house. Played the 18th hole, where I finished with a delicate chip. After holing the putt, took out my putter to see how I would have done if I had putted it instead of chipping it. The 80 year old marshal walked over from the first hole (had to go way out of her way) to yell at me that "this is not a practice area. If you want to practice go to the practice green!!"

It was 8:30 in the morning and it was the 18th hole. I was the only one on the back nine and was playing by myself. I have a membership, so it's not like I was getting "free" shots (I could have walked back and played the entire hole over, why should she care if hit the last putt over). I politely pointed out to her that no one was waiting and I was a member. She told me to "get off the green if I was done with the hole". Before I complain to management, I wanted to see if people agreed with me or the marshal. I almost never complain, and don't want to be "that guy", but don't want to have to deal with Barney Fife every time I play.

And this is the first time I've ever been yelled at on a course. I'm very aware of course etiquette and don't think I deserve anything special.

You were 100% fine. You are a member at the course, and you were trying to to practice THAT shot, not one on the practice green. As a member there is a very good chance you will be playing again from that same spot, so it would be nice to try a putt and a chip to figure out which one you prefer. There is a hole on my home course with a severe slope behind it and nearly everyone spends some time at the start of the year practicing from behind that green. It is the only place on the entire course that you have to chip downhill at that steep of an angle, so there is nowhere else to practice it. Practice greens are useful but can be limited when it comes to actually getting a certain shot figured out.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Easy situation to handle OP.

1. Pull cell phone with video cam out, turn it on and start "news report". "I'm here finishing on 18 with NAME OF COURSE employee, Ethel. Ethel, I am video taping you now and wanted to ask - on this completely empty course with no one waiting behind me you are telling me that I, as a member, cannot hit an extra putt or two as I finish out, is this correct?"

2. Continue video tape.

3. Hit another putt while taping.

4. If she goes off (probable) then head off with indisputable evidence to management and ask them if this is the sort of behavior you can be expecting from their staff as a new member?

5. Go to parking area and watch as she leaves despondent over the fact that the one single meaningful portion of her life since her husband and all of her friends have now passed has now been taken away from her.

Or, alternatively, you could ask another member what the deal is and act accordingly based on info provided.

I'd personally go with the alternative. Fast. Simple. Effective. Yup - pretty sure I'd just ask another member what gives and take it from there only going to management if this who issue proves worthy.

First suggestion is overkill on an 80 year old person, and would make the OP look bad really quick. Especially being a new member.

C-mon MG...

First response was pure unadulterated sarcasm meant to point out how really trivial the issue is and how simple it will be to just ask another member what the rules are, who she is, what her deal is and how he should handle it.

It's these really simple situations that amaze me.

Sorry, man. I'm missing the sarcasm. You and Jeff need more emoticons for the more thick-headed readers like myself. ;)

No apologies ever necessary from you. Too much respect.

But all kidding aside whenever I am doing anything new where it is clear that others around me have been there and done that I always just follow their lead. The OP can get a lot of clarity from other members and take it from there. For all we know this may be the owner's mother and sounding off to her may not go as planned.

And, as far as I stand, you live to see anything even close to 80 and you get some free passes. Walking history lesson to anyone willing to just sit and chat a bit. One of the best parts of my career as a rookie - MANY World War II vets ill and in need and I was fortunate enough to have responded to their aid. From fighter pilots to infantry, merchant marines to special forces I have been so fortunate because I didn't have to watch History Channel. I simply had to chat with them about their life experiences.

One gent was a P-47 pilot who flew cover on June 6, 1944. His description was amazing. He banked it over a bit and looked out and "saw more ships than ever before or since". And never fired a shot but just made his presence known and the Luftwaffe didn't bother coming up to greet him.

Yup, been an amazing career MG. And I have SO much respect for those who truly have "been there and done that". So for me the benefit of the doubt plays a huge role in reactions.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Firstly, the marshal was rude, but the story does remind of something.

When I was first starting to play the game back in the early 80s, one of the "unwritten rules" of golf was that you play "golf" on the 18th hole. That is, you don't play multiple balls, try "what if I'd tried a different club" shots, etc. I never questioned it. Thinking about it now in the context of the OP's story, I wonder if that "rule" was a pragmatic solution to being in close proximity to the clubhouse (marshal, starter, head pro, etc.) and not wanting scrutiny from them-powers-that-be.

Certainly not Rule 7-2.

Not talking about strictly defined rules of golf, but rather generally accepted standards of behavior established by golf courses (and players) to facilitate play and maintain the course.

Just like Mr. JohnnyCashForever references above:

"When I was first starting to play the game back in the early 80s, one of the "unwritten rules" of golf was that you play "golf" on the 18th hole. That is, you don't play multiple balls..."

Right and wrong are not solely defined by codified rules/laws.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Certainly not Rule 7-2.

Not talking about strictly defined rules of golf, but rather generally accepted standards of behavior established by golf courses (and players) to facilitate play and maintain the course.

"Generally accepted standards of behavior" ??? Good one. :lol:

I'm fairly confident most, if not all, golf courses would have ZERO problem with a guy who re-played the last putt of his 18 hole round.

Now if he dropped a bucket of balls,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Certainly not Rule 7-2.

"Generally accepted standards of behavior" ??? Good one. :lol:

I'm fairly confident most, if not all, golf courses would have ZERO problem with a guy who re-played the last putt of his 18 hole round.

Now if he dropped a bucket of balls,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;)

I was playing the 9th hole of a local course and waiting for the green to clear. Two guys were on green area. Someone had dumped a bucket of balls in the bunker to practice sand shots and they were on the green putting them all out. After a New York minute I yelled at them to move. They scurried off with the balls on the green. Turns out it was the course pro giving a lesson.