GI Throwdown: prove better irons than G25

Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened.ClubWRX Posts: 1,069 ClubWRX
I have played many of the so-called "forgiving" irons produced since 1999. We will call them "forgiving" rather than the catch-all stupidass "Game Improvement" irons. I ended up with Ping G25 irons.

What do you think is better and why?
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
PING G25 blue dot, 5-L, graphite reg
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #1
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips[/size][/font][/font][/size]

Comments

• aaronpolingaaronpoling Members Posts: 74
    I went and got “fitted” for irons, and ended up with the G25’s

They look great at address. And super easy to hit. Love the clubs.

I just purchased a set of used S56’s and have gone back to the G25’s because they are just that good
  • TommyjTommyj Members Posts: 343 ✭✭
    For me nothing, which is why I still have mine after 5+ years. I've tried and bought a lot of iron sets in that time to replace my G25s, usually to find something that is less GI and more pleasing to look at. But if I'm honest with myself, I've hit more good shots with the G25s and they give me more confidence on the course than any other irons I've ever owned.
  • mchamden1mchamden1 Members Posts: 479 ✭✭
    Always go back to my G25s when my game needs a little help. Which is pretty often haha
    TM M2 2016 10.5*
    Titleist 915f 3W HL 16.5*
    Ping G25 Hybrid 20* 27*
    Mizuno 919 Forged 5-GW
    SM7 56* 60*
    Black Lab BL-1 / Mid Slim 2.0
  • breakfree40breakfree40 ClubWRX Posts: 693 ClubWRX
    I play more of a players CB currently, however I loved my g25s.

What’s better in a similar package? The ping rapture J spec irons.
    2019:
    G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
    Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
    Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
    3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
    53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
    59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
    Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie
  • mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,519 ✭✭
    mchamden1 wrote:

Always go back to my G25s when my game needs a little help. Which is pretty often haha

Same here....absolutely love that set. I stray away occasionally but often come back...
    WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,659 ✭✭
    I am a forged iron snob. I’ve been playing MP18 blades for a year, and alternate from one forged MB to another at various times throughout the season. It’s not uncommon for me to tinker with 10 sets of irons throughout the year - most of which will be true miscleback blades. I love irons.

With all that said, the G25 irons are easily in my top 3 sets of all time. In fact, if I was forced today to play one set for the rest of my life taking into account various stages where I will be playing less, and the inevitable changes in my game that come with age, I’d choose the G25s every time. It’s a “total package” iron that can fit a broad range of players. It looks good, feels good, and performs great!
  • HillbillyInBCHillbillyInBC Members Posts: 169 ✭✭
    Went for a fitting last spring and wound up getting my G25s reshafted. They won't be leaving my bag any time soon.
  • AquilaAquila "Deceptively simple and endlessly complicated..." Members Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Tim Schoch wrote:
    I have played many of the so-called "forgiving" irons produced since 1999. We will call them "forgiving" rather than the catch-all stupidass "Game Improvement" irons. I ended up with Ping G25 irons.

What do you think is better and why?

If you asked Ping what’s better, they’d say G30, G, G400, G410... but the G25 just looked the business, didn’t it? Less gaudy than the rest.
    Driver: Cobra King LTD Pro 8.5* / MCA Diamana D+ Limited Edition 70X
    Fairway: Titleist 917 F2 14.25* / MCA Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80S
    Utility/DI: Srixon Z U85 19* / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-6 & Forged 7-GW / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 54* & 58* / Nippon Modus3 120S
    Putter: Ping Anser 3 / SuperStroke Flatso 1.0
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,069 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 15, 2019 10:21am #10
    Wow, you guys nailed everything I've experienced. I love shopping for new irons and trying them out, especially forged. I literally got an emotional rush whenever I looked at and played my MP53s. But ten minutes into playing the G25s (and a number of threads here), reality slapped me in the face. They are pretty much a unicorn set for me. If I was younger, taking lessons and counting on improving, I might have a more players-like iron in my future, but I'm really not sure about that. I'm content and happy with the G25 irons, and I'm not used to that!

Now I have to decide between my trusty Burner driver (2007) and the Ping G30 someone gave me. The G30 is in the bag right now, but the sound is sure loud. Not sure about that.
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips[/size][/font][/font][/size]
  • MeanmachinemoeMeanmachinemoe Members Posts: 1,324 ✭✭
    I think the G400s are better simply due to the strong lofts and COR Eye tech. But, I you love em, don't leave em!
    Taylormade 2017 M1 460 10.5* Fujikura Pro XLR8 56
    Titleist 818 H2 17* Tensei Blue 70
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei Blue 70
    Ping G400 4-UW,SW AWT 2.0
    Ping Glide 2.0 58 WS AWT 2.0
    Odyssey O-Works 1W B/W/B Superstroke 3.0

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,854 ✭✭
    Rapture and Rapture J spec both way better IMO

feel and looks and durability
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,069 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 15, 2019 10:43am #13
    cardoustie wrote:

Rapture and Rapture J spec both way better IMO

feel and looks and durability

Thanks, I'll check them out, if for no other reason than to eliminate them.

I guess if I had the money, I'd go for a spanking brand-new set of fitted irons, but I'm a used-bin guy and actually love the hunt.

Later:

Yeah, the Raptures aren't for me. They are Ultra Game Improvement and I just don't like the look of them. They look huge, with extra wide soles. It's what I didn't like about the G20s. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
  • GolfNuts4GolfNuts4 Members Posts: 723 ✭✭
    I love Ping irons, my issue with "forgiving" game improvement irons is all the colors and badging the OEM's feel they need to put in the cavity. Can't we just keep it clean and simple? They are trying to make them look like race cars or something.
    Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
    Callaway Big Bertha (2004) 5 wood
    Ping G30 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Irons 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey Wedges 56/60
    Scotty Cameron Monterey
  • MattMoMattMo Members Posts: 2,375 ✭✭
    G25s are great, my favorite of the G-line. I haven’t hit the G400 or G410, but the core-eye tech in the Ping Gs really killed the feel, IMO. The 25s give a nice blend of feel, forgiveness and looks. I switched to the I-series 2 years ago, but if I was playing the G-line, it would be the 25s. Oh, and I‘ve had the G5’s, 10s, 15s, 20s, 25s, 30s, and Gs in my bag at one point or another so I’m quite familiar with the line. Honorable mention to the G5s for their simple look and performance.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5* w/ Rogue Black
    Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
    Ping G25 20* Hybrid w/ TFC
    Ping ie1 4-U w/ CFS
    Ping Glide 54* WS
    Ping Glide Stealth 58* ES
    Ping BeNi Scottsdale Anser
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭
    I remember a cold January day when I stopped by local Golf Galaxy. By chance, the Ping guy showed up with newly released i25 and G25 irons. He had an odd-numbered iron selection of intact clubs, in the venerable CFS shaft with both R and S flex.

No one else was in the store, so I got to do a two-by-two test: i25 R and S flex, G25 R and S flex. To my surprise, I actually got good launch with the i25 R. But, the G25 R went about 15 yards longer.

At the time, I was recovering from a severe roll sprain of my right ankle. So, I decided to forego irons that season. But, the G25 flew well then, and later at an outdoor demo day.

I played the Calla X20 Tours for eight seasons, but for various reasons moved away from them this past fall. (I had them reshafted away from Project X 5.0, but the new shaft didn't deliver quite what I wanted.)

I had flirted with Tour Edge irons in the past. I had tested my CB Pro Tungstens at prior-season demo days, and got a fitting this fall and finally decided to get them. A slightly longer shaft length and a spinnier KBS Tour 90 shaft has improved my iron play.

Note to OP Tim Schoch: The Hot List classifications of Players, GI and SGI (and now Players Distance) are based on the perceived market niche of the iron. On rare occasion I find a Player's iron (i200, Calla Rogue Pro) that I can hit. That said, the GI group delivers the most irons I feel I could handle.

The more segmented Maltby Playability Factor classifications come from a 5-variable algebraic equation based on clubhead measurements.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • andrieddleandrieddle Members Posts: 1,798 ✭✭
    I still regret selling my G25 and will be buying them if I come across a set I like
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
    ChipNRun wrote:

I remember a cold January day when I stopped by local Golf Galaxy. By chance, the Ping guy showed up with newly released i25 and G25 irons. He had an odd-numbered iron selection of intact clubs, in the venerable CFS shaft with both R and S flex.

No one else was in the store, so I got to do a two-by-two test: i25 R and S flex, G25 R and S flex. To my surprise, I actually got good launch with the i25 R. But, the G25 R went about 15 yards longer.

At the time, I was recovering from a severe roll sprain of my right ankle. So, I decided to forego irons that season. But, the G25 flew well then, and later at an outdoor demo day.

I played the Calla X20 Tours for eight seasons, but for various reasons moved away from them this past fall. (I had them reshafted away from Project X 5.0, but the new shaft didn't deliver quite what I wanted.)

I had flirted with Tour Edge irons in the past. I had tested my CB Pro Tungstens at prior-season demo days, and got a fitting this fall and finally decided to get them. A slightly longer shaft length and a spinnier KBS Tour 90 shaft has improved my iron play.

Note to OP Tim Schoch: The Hot List classifications of Players, GI and SGI (and now Players Distance) are based on the perceived market niche of the iron. On rare occasion I find a Player's iron (i200, Calla Rogue Pro) that I can hit. That said, the GI group delivers the most irons I feel I could handle.

The more segmented Maltby Playability Factor classifications come from a 5-variable algebraic equation based on clubhead measurements.

MPF is the first place I always look. Thanks for all the info.
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB