It may be that time.......graphite and CBs

Hey all,

Received the Titleist 755 yesterday and am able to give a quick review. If we have any traditional blade players looking for a little more forgiveness, you could do a lot worse than these.

First thing I noticed after taking them out of the box was how small the heads were. This looks great at address, where the smaller heads and lack of excessive offset look like a traditional blade. They are surprisingly forgiving of mishits - although you do lose some distance, they still keep the ball in play. Mishits are more heard by the sound they make off the face (clunk) vs a well-struck ball (a blade-like "crack")

The 4i is excellent - used it three times during the round, and found it very hittable. 3i stayed in the garage.

With the GAD 95 shafts, dispersion was very low, and trajectory was reasonably high. As a low ball hitter, this was an important feature for me.

The graphite shafts are different. They certainly mute the feel of a mishit ball, and don't give the feedback you get from steel. They also don't hurt or sting on a mishit ball, something I found very welcome. However, they do feel very "steel" in how they flex, and their overall weight. I was hoping they'd be around a C9 or D1 with the graphite, but they "feel" like D2, same weight for the clubs with steel.

Grips on them were Winn PCI cords that were in poor repair - some softer midsize grips will be going on soon.

Hit 5 GIR, missed the other four by a combined total of 8 yards, and tied my best 9 ever at +1. Could have been my first at-par 9 ever, except for yanking a 4 foot par putt on one hole. Had a feeling I'd regret that one. Also lipped out three birdie attempts. Grrr.

Initial feedback is promising - we'll see how they are once I get them regripped.

Congrats Scott!

Good to hear you got some new sticks and played as well as you did!

Before you throw those Hogan blades away that you had trouble hitting, let me PM you my address...

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I just made the switch with my modern irons as well. Found a set of Titleist 716s with Steelfiber 95 stiff shafts for sale.

What a difference they make. I have arthritis in my right hand and I had to take Advil just to get through a round. Don't need them with the Steelfibers. A lot "softer" at impact but with no loss of feel or control to me.

Not going to reshaft my Apex PCs with graphite, Will play them a little less often in the summer. more in the winter when the ground is soft.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Hey all,

Received the Titleist 755 yesterday and am able to give a quick review. If we have any traditional blade players looking for a little more forgiveness, you could do a lot worse than these.

First thing I noticed after taking them out of the box was how small the heads were. This looks great at address, where the smaller heads and lack of excessive offset look like a traditional blade. They are surprisingly forgiving of mishits - although you do lose some distance, they still keep the ball in play. Mishits are more heard by the sound they make off the face (clunk) vs a well-struck ball (a blade-like "crack")

The 4i is excellent - used it three times during the round, and found it very hittable. 3i stayed in the garage.

With the GAD 95 shafts, dispersion was very low, and trajectory was reasonably high. As a low ball hitter, this was an important feature for me.

The graphite shafts are different. They certainly mute the feel of a mishit ball, and don't give the feedback you get from steel. They also don't hurt or sting on a mishit ball, something I found very welcome. However, they do feel very "steel" in how they flex, and their overall weight. I was hoping they'd be around a C9 or D1 with the graphite, but they "feel" like D2, same weight for the clubs with steel.

Grips on them were Winn PCI cords that were in poor repair - some softer midsize grips will be going on soon.

Hit 5 GIR, missed the other four by a combined total of 8 yards, and tied my best 9 ever at +1. Could have been my first at-par 9 ever, except for yanking a 4 foot par putt on one hole. Had a feeling I'd regret that one. Also lipped out three birdie attempts. Grrr.

Initial feedback is promising - we'll see how they are once I get them regripped.

Congrats Scott!

Good to hear you got some new sticks and played as well as you did!

Before you throw those Hogan blades away that you had trouble hitting, let me PM you my address...

Great news. Very exciting.

I know, however, how fickle golf can be. I'm in love with a putter for a few weeks/months, then it goes dry and I fall in love with another one. Same with irons for me, particularly lately--although, I have made a promise to myself to work through any iron problems with my current irons, at least as long as possible.

I hear plenty on these boards bemoaning that they sold their Eye2s or 845s or Staffs, etc. I love having old favorites up on the shelf. (Vastly different than how I feel about my two ex-wives!!)

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

I just made the switch with my modern irons as well. Found a set of Titleist 716s with Steelfiber 95 stiff shafts for sale.

What a difference they make. I have arthritis in my right hand and I had to take Advil just to get through a round. Don't need them with the Steelfibers. A lot "softer" at impact but with no loss of feel or control to me.

Not going to reshaft my Apex PCs with graphite, Will play them a little less often in the summer. more in the winter when the ground is soft.

Thanks for the feedback about the Steel Fibers. I recently bought a set of MX-200s and the 4-iron has a Steelfiber shaft I really like. BTW, I owned some Titleist 716s for a month or two and they just did not work for me. I found that the feedback was just not there. Why is feedback important? For me, it's a reward, like a treat for a dog that does a trick, or a bonus for doing a good job. In practicing with my forged irons, I find myself anxious to feel that sweet spot, and darned happy when I do. I've found that that motivation has improved my practice and my swing. Plus, with the MX-200 irons or my Apex Edge or Apex Edge Pro irons, the mishits do not hurt like my previous irons did (RAC irons, X stiff shafts). Also, the mishits don't hurt with my Eye 2s, maybe because of the high lofts.

FYI, my wrists are a healing injury. But my shoulder is chronic, as is a nagging neck. Those criteria shape my iron choices. Most people who game the Titleists of any year are happy with them. Hope they work for you bigtime.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Funny how equipment is different for different folks. I love the feedback of the 716s. I think they are the best irons since the 681s which I had to give up because of the groove rule.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Scooter good to hear from you again--- Yep think about you when working in the shop yep the bag tag still hangs in it's place. I will give another suggestion on shafts.

I would maybe try in your situation if you still want to play steel going to a lighter and softer shaft like a FST 90. I may also suggest a softer grip like an Avon Chamois if it does not sacrifice any feel for you. But heck we gotta do what we gotta do if you have to go to graphite then by all means do it gotta keep on playing

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Gentlemen,

Nice to hear from you all.

Just to provide a little more feedback - so the grips were shot on the irons (too bad as I like WInn PCIs) but Global Golf was nice enough to give me a reasonable credit on them.

So this weekend, I gave them a wrap of Gorilla Tape, then blew on a set of Black Widow Edge I had around. The Gorilla tape builds them up a bit, plus also provides slightly more shock absorption. Didn't want to glue them on in case I decide to add a softer grip in the near future. Interesting side note was that after removing the grips, I could see the shafts had been Pure'd, though also interesting that the labels were not always at the "12 o'clock" position. Whatever, I'm not that good.

So the weekend went as follows:

- Shoot 9 on Thursday

- Go to the range on Saturday, and hit a big bucket of balls (~125 balls), doing 1/2 iron shots, and 1/2 driver/hybrid shots

- Go golfing on Sunday, and play 18

Very pleased to report how I do not have the typical hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder soreness I would have typically felt after engaging in the above itinerary. In fact, I feel so good, I could go golf another 18 if I wanted to today. Quite the change from using steel, where the clubs start feeling heavy around hole 14, the driver swing starts getting sloppy, and I feel the various aches the next day.

That being said, there have been some cons, these being the lack of feedback, and the difficulty in grooving a new swing path. Moreso than with steel, the clubhead tends to wander a bit when the speed is ramped up or down, and I found myself hitting more toe hits than usual, likely as I'm moving the head in a little more on my draw swing. That being said, the swing issue isn't apparent by feel - you have to look at the clubface to see exactly where the mishit was. This will take some getting used to.

But overall, the three 9's I've played with the clubs have been 36, 38, and 40 - a decent collection of rounds compared to my year to date average of 42 with the Cobras. When the only difference between the rounds is putting, and you're no more than 5' off the green even when you miss a GIR, things are going well.

If someone is thinking of making this change, note that the GAT shafts do play stiffer than flex. Mine are an R, and they remind me of the feel of the ZZ lite S flex in my Eye2s.

And on one final note, I am disappointed I have never owned Titleist clubs before this. The 755 have a very traditional look and size, yet are very forgiving of off-centre hits. Although I cannot move the ball equivalently to to how I would with blades, I can still hit a decent draw. The 909D2 is fantastic - I can work the ball both ways with it, and it's lower launch with lower spin turns my 220 yd drives into 240 yd drives; second shots were often from places I was unfamiliar with making second shots from. The 909F2 at 15.5* launches better than any 3W I've ever owned, period, full stop. The "Made for Titleist" Blueboard shaft in an "S" flex is perfect for us "tweeners"; plays firmer than an R, but softer than an S, with a great high launch. And the 909H is a slightly squared, solid feeling hybrid, with minimal offset. Again, easy to work, has the very good "For Titleist" blueboard, and is devoid of the directional problems created by too much offset.

So at the current time, no more ho'ing for me. Though I may keep my eyes open for another set of 755 as the ones I bought had been well played before they got to me.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder--I'm 67 with off and on tendonitis in my wrists, looking for good clubs that might help my age and wrists (although I have not yet lost distance with anything.......just accuracy. Not good).

Well, although I am still on the fence about irons, I am not on the fence about shafts.

I bought a set of my gamers (Hogan Apex Edge) with Hogan Apex Edge graphite shafts. Nice set. I've been at the range for three days with them, comparing them to steel, etc. What I discovered is that they are lighter (duh), and because of that I swing faster. Maybe that is something I have to learn, but I've always liked to feel the club head dropping from the top. Not so much with these. Plus the feedback was not there and the sound at impact was clinky.

So, for me, graphite is out of my irons (okay with hybrids and woods). That set goes online this weekend.

I've always played stiff steel shafts, but I also get along just fine with regular, so I'll go with them. The big question I have for myself...which frigging irons?

I have played and ruled out---AP1, AP2, MX-200, APEX Plus, Apex Edge 2006 (I fade everything with them, for some reason). Budget doesn't allow me to spend much, so I can't try out the Srixon or JPX 850 or 900 forged offerings. So right now my gamers are the 2001 Apex Edge irons (which I hit longer than either the AP1s--in comparable lofts--or AP2s, or MX-200s). I know, distance isn't everything with irons, but it sure does keep me from over-swinging.

Today I hit some Apex Edge Pros and nailed them. So they are still in contention, strangely enough. The good news is that I have accumulated a good number of sets of irons that I can trade or sell for my final set. Anyone else in a similar situation or can recommend some clubs?

I know these kind of threads are all over the place, but when you are a senior, it is all about being realistic with your abilities, forget your pride. I'd rather play a set I love to swing than a garish set that is forgiving and might add distance. I can always take one more club.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Just a reminder--I'm 67 with off and on tendonitis in my wrists, looking for good clubs that might help my age and wrists (although I have not yet lost distance with anything.......just accuracy. Not good).

Well, although I am still on the fence about irons, I am not on the fence about shafts.

I bought a set of my gamers (Hogan Apex Edge) with Hogan Apex Edge graphite shafts. Nice set. I've been at the range for three days with them, comparing them to steel, etc. What I discovered is that they are lighter (duh), and because of that I swing faster. Maybe that is something I have to learn, but I've always liked to feel the club head dropping from the top. Not so much with these. Plus the feedback was not there and the sound at impact was clinky.

So, for me, graphite is out of my irons (okay with hybrids and woods). That set goes online this weekend.

I've always played stiff steel shafts, but I also get along just fine with regular, so I'll go with them. The big question I have for myself...which frigging irons?

I have played and ruled out---AP1, AP2, MX-200, APEX Plus, Apex Edge 2006 (I fade everything with them, for some reason). Budget doesn't allow me to spend much, so I can't try out the Srixon or JPX 850 or 900 forged offerings. So right now my gamers are the 2001 Apex Edge irons (which I hit longer than either the AP1s--in comparable lofts--or AP2s, or MX-200s). I know, distance isn't everything with irons, but it sure does keep me from over-swinging.

Today I hit some Apex Edge Pros and nailed them. So they are still in contention, strangely enough. The good news is that I have accumulated a good number of sets of irons that I can trade or sell for my final set. Anyone else in a similar situation or can recommend some clubs?

I know these kind of threads are all over the place, but when you are a senior, it is all about being realistic with your abilities, forget your pride. I'd rather play a set I love to swing than a garish set that is forgiving and might add distance. I can always take one more club.

The dilemma of the Senior golfer. Seemingly caught in a "no man's land", as we transition from the implements we've always utilized to to those that are better suited to the new reality. Not an easy solution or without some degree of investigation and trial. The advisement from the equipment section would be to hit a lot of different irons and get fitted (the standard anser to all club selection decisions). That gets expensive fast. And remain something of a skeptic to trackman derived iron selection for the average hack such as myself (that's remains another debatable issue). FWIW, not something we in the classic section necessarily subscribe to as the solution to the problem. Preferring a DIY approach.

Sounds to me like you have a shaft suitably issue more than anything. From your comments, seems as though you like the Hogan AE (or AEP) heads, just not the shafts. Graphite shafts from 15+ years ago are not necessarily reflective of the current state of affairs today. Keep the heads and reshaft them to ones better suited to your current situation.

The problem with modern graphite is weight and feel comes with a relatively high price tag (Recoil 95's, Steelfibers). Although some of the expense can be mitigated by shopping for appropriate pulls and you can DIY with the reshafting and SW'ing. Have you experimented at all with lighter weight steel shafts? Something like Nippon 950's?

A heavyweight, tip stiff shaft is to much for me to wield these days, and ones that I've never been all that enamored with. Lighter weight, softer tip, makes a steel shaft easier to swing, and less jarring on the joints. Separate from the stated flex. Can coexist with a LW, tip soft steel shaft in stiff a lot easier than a HW, tip firm one in regular. In addition, one can add shaft dampening via a something like ProSoft inserts if need be. There is a DIY method, using an 8" length of 1/2" foam Backer Rod. Bought inexpensively at HD. Try it on a club to see if you notice a difference with your tendonitis.

Of the general opinion that once one finds an agreeable and suitable head, improve it by making a appropriate shaft selection. All this becomes a more feasible task if one is capable of performing their own club work. My .02 as a 66 year old golfer and DIY club putzer.

P.S. Give me a 48* PW that I can hit a consistent distance and straight over a 45* PW that has inconsistent distance and direction any day. For any distance to be traversed with iron in hand, I've got a club for that. Its all in the swing.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Upon finding the iron head of choice, the trial and error of locating the most suitable shaft can be difficult. But pulls are the most economical way to go for us DIYer's. EBay is our friend in that regard.

I like to use a 7 or 8 iron for testing purposes. I'll find a good deal on a set of pulls, shaft one up and take it to the range. From that point I can determine if the shaft has the right flex and feel for my swing and make adjustments if necessary by soft or hard stepping. Then it's just a matter of assembly and possibly a little fine tuning. And yes, have an extra shaft or two when stepping.

Not only is clubbuilding rewarding, it's a heck of a lot of fun too. But take precaution ... It can be habit forming.

Whatever you choose you may want to think about changing to grips that will help with reducing impact shock and perhaps even Sensicore type metal shafts.

That said I am not sure what graphite shaft you had in the Apex and any graphite shaft will reduce feel a bit (but that's the point, reducing shock) but the more modern choices e.g. Recoil i95's or i110's are far superior to what was being offered 5-10 years ago.

Whatever you choose you may want to think about changing to grips that will help with reducing impact shock and perhaps even Sensicore type metal shafts.

That said I am not sure what graphite shaft you had in the Apex and any graphite shaft will reduce feel a bit (but that's the point, reducing shock) but the more modern choices e.g. Recoil i95's or i110's are far superior to what was being offered 5-10 years ago.

The graphites are the original Hogan Apex Edge (reg) shafts. I certainly wouldn't want anything lighter. I swing rather hard (which is why I probably have wrist problems) and the lighter shafts encourage that.

I'm retired, and the reality is that I just can't afford to buy shafts, as well as shafts to test and discard. I can install them, that's not the issue. It would be cheaper to be patient and buy a set of these older clubs with shafts I need.

I have a set with regular (3) Apex steel that are good. The grips are midsize, which is supposed to help the wrists. I've also strengthened my grip, which is supposed to help.

I'll take your idea and look for grips that better absorb shock. Otherwise, I'll just work on my swing.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

The graphites are the original Hogan Apex Edge (reg) shafts. I certainly wouldn't want anything lighter. I swing rather hard (which is why I probably have wrist problems) and the lighter shafts encourage that.

I'm retired, and the reality is that I just can't afford to buy shafts, as well as shafts to test and discard. I can install them, that's not the issue. It would be cheaper to be patient and buy a set of these older clubs with shafts I need.

I have a set with regular (3) Apex steel that are good. The grips are midsize, which is supposed to help the wrists. I've also strengthened my grip, which is supposed to help.

I'll take your idea and look for grips that better absorb shock. Otherwise, I'll just work on my swing.

The new graphite shafts are actually usually heavier and have better feel due to the new materials and processes being used. In the past if you wanted graphite they usually were 50g and 60g solutions.. now you can get 95g, 110g shafts in graphite or even higher if you want.

The new graphite shafts are actually usually heavier and have better feel due to the new materials and processes being used. In the past if you wanted graphite they usually were 50g and 60g solutions.. now you can get 95g, 110g shafts in graphite or even higher if you want.

Good to know. Thanks.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Well, Scooter, nice to hear from you. I was just thinking when logging on that we hadn't heard much from you lately. I have not been regular myself lately. Glad to hear you are having some success in your new experiment.

I came on to start my own confession thread, but decided to tag on to yours.

It started innocently enough. I had an early season scramble, so got out the "modern" bag. I actually hadn't played any golf in a few weeks, so everything was rusty. I played 9 holes by myself, and had doubts that I would be able to contribute much to the scramble. After about 6-7 holes, though, some of the plaque started to shake off, and I was feeling pretty good. The day of the scramble, my Titleist 905T worked very well for me. I continued playing it (and the rest of the modern bag) for a few rounds. Then I picked up a used 913 D2. I hit it pretty well. I had been looking for a 915 D2 when I ran across the 913, then Golf Galaxy had a closeout on the 915 and I ordered one. Then a PING Cadence heavy putter in the Anser 2 style. Then I picked up a Vokey SM6 in 56/10. Then a 52/08. By this time, the drugs had taken hold, and I was doomed. Now my bag looks like this:

Driver: Titleist 915 D2, 9.5*

FW: Callaway XR 15*

Hybrids: Callaway Heavenwood 3h (20*) and 4h (23*)-I have had these a few years actually

Irons: Taylormade M2 (2016) 5-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM6 F grind (48/08 and 52/08) and S Grind (56/10)

Putter: PING Cadence Heavy 34" Anser 2

Of course, all the woods and hybrids are graphite shafts. The irons are still steel, albeit a lighter, higher launching shaft.

Overall, I am much more consistent. I have not been keeping my handicap up, but I have had several rounds under 85 ( my last official handicap was 14.9) and a couple of 9's in the high 30's. The irons and I have not quite worked out our relationship, but I am having a little iron trouble anyway-can't blame the sticks. I scoffed at carrying multiple wedges for years, but am really enjoying these Vokeys.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Nice to see you too Bucky, though we do need to remember this section isn't only about aging clubs - it's also about ageing golfers. As we get older, finding enjoyment in the game is the most important thing; that enjoyment can come from hitting vintage blades, or from not aching after a round. Doing a little of both never hurt anyone, either.

However, my "play one modern set consistently" project from last year just didn't work out. As a blade player at heart, GI irons simply didn't work. They seem to introduce accuracy and distance control issues that a player's CB do not seem to have. And the clubs were too bloody heavy.

I almost burst out loud reading Fella's post above. For experiment's sake (and because Global Golf gave me almost $130 for my Ping Eye 2 and SW) I ordered a used set of MP-60, specifically because they came with the Nippon Pro 950 shaft in them. It is cited as being a steel alternative to graphite.

Played them for 18 yesterday, and found them much less abusive than any other steel shafts I've ever used. Even the S flex has a nice whip to it, and they launch super high for a picker. Plus the lighter weight was a little easier overall versus my past clubs.

I see what others mean about the Mizuno feel as well. Just a lovely, smooth, pured blade sort of feel. Plus the MP-60 can be worked a bit more than the Titleists - hit an honest to God fade with them yesterday, something I've struggled with in the past.

So I'll second Fella's recommendation to try a club with 950s on them as well.

I think I've also now created an issue for myself by having two lovely, workable, age-appropriate sets of irons available.

And Bucky, I'm with you on the wedges. I use a 3h as a 5W so I can carry that extra wedge.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Scooter. Didn't want to come across like the Nippon 950's were the be all end all to iron shafts. Its such an individualistic endeavor. There is no correct anser that can be offered in these chronicles. Only suggestions. Have to "experiment" to find appropriateness. But the 950's sure clicked a number of boxes for me. I like the lighter weight, really about the same as graphite. Can swing them all day without becoming fatigued. Like about the 15th hole, when I start struggling with the weight of heavier irons. They have a nice smooth feel to them. The tip soft design, from what little I know on the subject, contributes to this IMO. Certainly feel less jarring to the wrist and arms on the inevitable mis-hits. Relative to other steel shafts that I've used. The shaft in the PW is a S flex 950. Really can't tell much difference between it and the R flex in the remainder of the set. Actually kind of like the stiff in the PW, think it helps with the accuracy factor.

But then again, I do not have any joint infirmaries. So using graphite as a remedy for aches and pains is not necessary. If I was going to do a build with new 950's, think I would experiment with soft stepping stiffs into the heads. They are defiantly high launchers, wonder if this might bring the trajectory down just a bit. Yeah, that may be the ticket.

Wedges (dependent on the lofts). If I'm working off a 48* PW (all PW's should be 48), 52/53* Gap and a 56* SW. All I need, or want to think about. Higher than that I can't hit worth a damn anyway. No longer bother.

Edit add: Or I suppose cut to the chase and go to a trackman fitter, that in 15 minutes will derive that I should be A flex graphite. Thereby destroying all my carefully crafted mythologies. Then what? Not worth the risk.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Its Time!!

I recently made the switch and I'm glad I did. It's not a cheap move to graphite but well worth it.

I'm 47 and suffer from carpal tunnel and some arthritis in my right hand so this prompted the move to graphite. I replaced my s300 in my MP 69's for 95 gram Recoil and they are awesome!!!

I now can play the game at 75% and the ball goes just as far, and I think I've made some gains in accuracy and ball striking. Someone also mentioned Avon Chamois grips and I installed those too, they are awesome and a great price, I'm surprised they don't get more attention. I'm going to rip off my pure grips and go Avon on all my irons.

The marketing fluff out there says we use graphite in drivers, fairways and hybrids why not irons... according to UST Mamiya they are 67% more efficient. I think its a matter of time before everyone will be playing graphite.

Picture of my build.

mp69_mizuno.jpg

Good to hear your experience too, istache.

Further follow up - I took the MP-60 with the Nippon 950 to the driving range after regripping last weekend. There is no doubt in my mind that even a smooth shaft such as this simply transfers more impact forces on the joints (especially the wrists and hands) compared to graphite. Although the lightweight steel is very nice, I certainly felt the fact I hit a large bucket of balls for two days afterwards.

Then went out and played 9 on Wednesday using the Titleists, and did not have the same experience. On one shot, I had the ball lying in the deep rough, and went waaaaay under it with a 5i, hitting the ball extremely high on the club face. The vibrations I felt through the graphite would have been cripplingly hand-numbing if I was using steel. So the graphite does what the graphite is supposed to do. Good show.

Seemed to struggle a bit with my aim, but was playing a course with extremely small and excessively undulating greens, and the putter did me no favors.

Off to a more challenging course next Tuesday, and I'm thinking the Titleists are going to stay in the bag for now.....

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Good to hear your experience too, istache.

Further follow up - I took the MP-60 with the Nippon 950 to the driving range after regripping last weekend. There is no doubt in my mind that even a smooth shaft such as this simply transfers more impact forces on the joints (especially the wrists and hands) compared to graphite. Although the lightweight steel is very nice, I certainly felt the fact I hit a large bucket of balls for two days afterwards.

Then went out and played 9 on Wednesday using the Titleists, and did not have the same experience. On one shot, I had the ball lying in the deep rough, and went waaaaay under it with a 5i, hitting the ball extremely high on the club face. The vibrations I felt through the graphite would have been cripplingly hand-numbing if I was using steel. So the graphite does what the graphite is supposed to do. Good show.

Seemed to struggle a bit with my aim, but was playing a course with extremely small and excessively undulating greens, and the putter did me no favors.

Off to a more challenging course next Tuesday, and I'm thinking the Titleists are going to stay in the bag for now.....

Thanks for your experience. It is easy to stay in denial about graphite, but your experience and the plain facts of the materials are a wake-up call. Tonight I decided to try a few of the clubs I have in my rack and pulled an Apex Sand Wedge. wow. Heavy. The whole thing felt like a log. I then went back to my Apex Edge irons with the graphites and it was...relief. I might be drinking the graphite Kool-Aid.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

• 1 year later...

Hello all GolfWRX friends - long time no see.

As I may have mentioned last year, golf has been pretty low on the priority list, so I spend less time on sites like GolfWRX, and frankly, less time golfing due to other life priorities. This is also helpful, as I stop purchasing clubs, and only think about golf when I am golfing. That being said, I wandered back in to see how my old friends were doing, and to provide an update on my graphite experiment.

So last year, I shot maybe 25 x 9 hole rounds, and a handful of 18 hole rounds. For almost the entire season, I played the bag in my sig, with the odd switch out for the putter. For maybe 5 of the 9 hole rounds, I played my Mizuno bag, and I played zero vintage rounds last year. Game was as expected, with the odd good round interspersed with mediocrity and the odd bad round. However, sticking with a set for the entire year was of value, as I really got a total feel for the Titleists with the graphite shafts, was able to groove my swing to them, and decide on if these or a more modern version would become my long-term gamers.

The positives:

- Lighter clubs equals less fatigue

- Muted shafts equals less elbow pain

- Reg flex shafts equals less knee pain from torque

- 95g graphite shafts equals better swing tempo

The negatives:

- I miss the feel of loading the club

- Mishits are just never as informative as with steel shafts

- The clubs were incredibly difficult to work. As a "feel" golfer, I am ascribing this issue to the feedback-output-feedback loop not working

- Trajectory wasn't as high as I've managed from other specific steel shafts and clubs

- Face contact was less consistent, as the position of everything was just not as much "there" with the graphite

I only realized how much I missed the feedback when playing the Mizunos, where I could feel the head at all times, and feel the shaft load. Plus the feedback during the round allowed me to make setup changes, something that is more important as we age; some days the muscles are not as loose, or the back is a little tighter and it affects our swing.

Net result is that I am going to be getting rid of the graphite shafted Titleists, and going back to steel shafts, for now. Despite some niggling aches and pains from golfing, what has been highlighted to me is the following:

- No more D3 swingweight S300 shafted clubs for me; a lighter swingweight is needed for the left knee

- Don't go to graphite full time until I really need to. Like maybe when I'm retired and golfing 90 holes a week. At 9 or 18 or 27 holes a week, my body can still take the abuse of steel shafts, as long as the clubs are not too heavy

- Try a different shaft than the GAT 95 when I try graphite again

- Look for some vibration reducing ideas - already switching to softer midsize grips on my clubs

- I simply need "feel" in my game; if golf was more mechanical for me, I'd probably like the graphite more

I still have the Mizunos, but do also have a set of Ping Zing red dots that I picked up used - been a fan of this ugly old design since I had an old frankenshafted set, and they may be enjoyable to play as my playing time remains limited. Lightweight Ping irons and I have typically gotten along well.

• Like 1

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Welcome back, Scooter :)

I'm wondering if a heavier graphite would suit you, compared to a 95g shaft? Only problem, they're getting fewer and farther between; I believe the Recoil 125s have been discontinued, as one notable example.

Glad to see you're still playing {tip cap}

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scooter! It's nice to see you back in these parts. You have been missed.

I would tend to agree with you on not moving to graphite until you have to. I've had an on again off again affair with graphite shafted irons that was initiated as a way to deal with elbow pain. Now I have other issues to contend with and maintaining a smooth even tempo is more important than vibration reduction. Typically, the lighter swing weights that accompany a stock graphite shafted iron are a real detriment in that regard for me. Lighter total weight is definitely a plus, but being able to track the club head in the swing is equally important and one thing i too have struggled with in graphite shafted irons.

For now, I'm playing with a set of SGI irons with ultralite steel shafts and this seems to be a reasonable compromise. WE'll see how the year goes before passing further judgement.

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @NRJyzr said:

> Welcome back, Scooter :)

>

> I'm wondering if a heavier graphite would suit you, compared to a 95g shaft? Only problem, they're getting fewer and farther between; I believe the Recoil 125s have been discontinued, as one notable example.

>

> Glad to see you're still playing {tip cap}

Yeah the recoil prototype 125s are the only ones offered at that weight now

Late last season, I decided to resume playing "somewhat modern" clubs as opposed to being solely a hickory player for about 10 years. Age (66) and the challenge of the unforgiving blades had begun to take a toll on my scoring and enjoyment. I pulled out a set of Ping i3's that I had along with an older TM 360 driver and 5w. The i3's had steel shafts and the woods were graphite. After 6 or 7 rounds, the steel shafts had really aggravated the arthritis in the hands. I decided I needed to at least try graphite irons and found a set of i20's with Ping SR graphite shafts. The difference was amazing and the hand issues became much less of a problem. I still plan on pulling out the hickories for the occasional 9 hole round, but it's graphite for me going forward.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

> @ScooterMcTavish said:

> Well, thanks for the suggestions all.

>

> Based on the GAT suggestion above, I cancelled my order for the Mizzy T-Zoid T3, and instead ordered a set of Titleist 755 with the GAT 95 shaft in R flex from Global Golf. Sounds like the 755 was designed specifically for me - a good mid-handicapper club, with some feel and control, yet also high-launching.

>

> Of course, since I need to pay for shipping to Canada already, I threw in a a few extra Titlist clubs (909D, 909 3W, 909 3H) to round out the set. Amazing that a modern club with a Mitsubishi Blue Board shaft in it can be picked up for under $25 (even if the shaft is a "made for").

>

> Not sure I'm ready to retire my Jeff Sheets MacGregor VIP wedges yet.

>

> And of course, I now blew my <$150 budget, but as we've all learned in life, it's sometimes better to spend a bit more to get the "right" thing.

>

> Thanks for the feedback all - I'll report back once I get the clubs and have an opportunity to hit them.

My switch to graphite CB wasn't nearly as sublime as yours. Sounds like you resolved your problem so I'm just going to add my story for the heck of it.

I used to play a lot of golf when I lived in Southern California but stopped playing in 1995 when I began pursuing other endeavors (Agility dog trials and Sailboat racing). I put my clubs in storage and left them there for 20+ years (Wilson Staff forged irons with stiff steel shafts). I decided to take up golf again last August after I moved to Texas so I grabbed my old clubs and headed for the range. Unfortunately I didn't fully appreciate the effects of now having Rheumatoid Arthritis and torn rotator cuffs and bursitis in both shoulders. Needless to say after hitting 80 range balls I was so crippled I couldn't move. The next two weeks were sheer misery. Everything hurt and when I say hurt I mean howling in pain with the slightest movement. As I laid around my house trying to recover I remember thinking my body is so severely damaged I may never play golf again. Fortunately the pain finally subsided and I wanted to give it another go with some clubs that might be more appropriate given my degraded physicality but I was not willing to spend the $1500-$2000 full sets were commanding in the golf shops. So I began cruising eBay looking to piece together a set of brand name graphite CBs. As luck would have it I managed to put together a set of unused graphite lite flex clubs pretty cheaply: Cobra F6 mixed set (2 hybrids + 5 irons), Cobra F6 Baffler 4 wood, and a 2017 TaylorMade M1 driver off eBay; a deeply discounted F6 3 wood and a cheapo Wilson 56 degree sand wedge from Academy Sports; and a slightly used Odyssey putter discounted at a local golf shop.

Long story short, I'm practicing and playing golf again. My hands and wrists still bother me some so I'm considering moving to wider, softer grips but at least I'm playing thanks to graphite shafts and CB irons.

• Like 1