Ketsch vs Vault

justwellsy

For months I was truly excited about trying the new vault putters when they were released. In the months leading up to their release, I had to stop myself from buying a Ketsch putter that I really liked. Now that the vault putters are here I must say I am truly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the vault putters, they'r ea 10/10 for me. But the feel off the face, weighting, and overall performance of the Ketsch I feel is superior. The Ketsch is about 7/10 in looks for me, a little better than average but nothing super exciting. Keep in mind that I'm mainly comparing the Oslo and Bergen to the Ketsch because they are mallets. However, I also think the Anser 2 and Voss Vault putters do not feel or perform as well as the Karsten TR putters.

It could just be that my expectations were so high that there was no way for them to be met, but I was still expecting more. Have any of you tried the Karsten TR/Ketsch models and compared them to the Vault putters? I'm struggling with what to do right now as my putting is so streaky and I'd like to be more consistent. I currently game an Odyssey ProType #2 and one round I'll have a large number of made putts and the next round my stroke will be a bit off. I think the Ketsch is going to be the answer for me, but I'm struggling with making the purchase because I'm not sold on the look of the putter. I've used a blade for 90%+ of my life so it's hard to make a switch like this.

I may give the vault line another shot, just to make sure. Also, I should note that I did like the new Pistol grips on the vault putters, so that wasn't the issue... at least not in my head.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know what you mean. I absolutely love the look (especially at address) of the Vault Voss and was ready to buy it when it came out. I went to my local Edwin Watts to roll it and was really disappointed at the feel. I tried several different balls with it - even the very soft Callaway Chrome Soft (which I game) and the feel off the face still felt harsh to me. Poor feedback and no distance control at all for me.

I walked out of the store very sad..................but 300.00+ richer. :)

Know what you mean. I absolutely love the look (especially at address) of the Vault Voss and was ready to buy it when it came out. I went to my local Edwin Watts to roll it and was really disappointed at the feel. I tried several different balls with it - even the very soft Callaway Chrome Soft (which I game) and the feel off the face still felt harsh to me. Poor feedback and no distance control at all for me.

I have the Vault Voss. What I've found is that center strikes feel great, amazing even, but if you are a little off center it feels harsh. It's actually helped me feel the center of the clubface better and has helped with my putting stroke. I have not had any issues with distance control either. It's been great for me so far.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* w/Mitsubishi Diamana GT 60S
Titleist TSR2 15* w/VA Composites Nemesys 75S
Taylormade Stealth 2 Hybrid 19* w/VA Composites Nemesys 90S
Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW w/Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist SM9 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/Project X LZ 6.0
Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

I have the Vault Voss. What I've found is that center strikes feel great, amazing even, but if you are a little off center it feels harsh. It's actually helped me feel the center of the clubface better and has helped with my putting stroke. I have not had any issues with distance control either. It's been great for me so far.

It may indeed have been a case of me not hitting it square. I really disliked the grip and messed around with how to place my hands on it over and over again, plus I usually game a 33" and the shortest they had was a 34", so that threw my stroke off a bit (couldn't choke down on it with that fat grip and maintain my normal grip).

Really like the headshape of the Voss, but in the end I just didn't feel the love. I thought the harsh feel was the crappy balls they had on their putting green but even when I grabbed some Chrome Soft balls the feel wasn't as nice as I had hoped it would have been. :(

I've always played an Anser/Anser 2 blade, it was perfect for my eye, but I'm a SBST stroke so I desperately tried so many different mallets over the last 6 months and for the life of me could not fully commit. I love the stability and alignment but no matter if it was insert or non-insert, I could never get the distance control down. I saw a long neck Anser 5 Karsten TR in the pro shop the other day and was utterly amazed to find how well it felt for overall balance, at impact, during the swing, and had me rolling puts on a chalk line that never deviated when I put a good stroke on the ball. I bought that to game while I wait for my custom Kingston KP2 long neck :swoon:

I would concur that on center strikes, its soft and insert like... I tend to hit the putter about half an inch or so towards the toe (i have done this on purpose for some reason i feel that I putt better this way) but I can't do this on my new Oslo... it feels very hard.

once again... Archer, not arrow

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I would concur that on center strikes, its soft and insert like... I tend to hit the putter about half an inch or so towards the toe (i have done this on purpose for some reason i feel that I putt better this way) but I can't do this on my new Oslo... it feels very hard.

once again... Archer, not arrow

I actually understand hitting the putter slightly toward the toe. It forces you to release the head through the putt or else you'll push it right every time. There's also little chance you'll pull the ball that badly because you really have to over rotate your hands. It's not ideal to putt this way, but I'm guessing a number of people would benefit from at least incorporating this into their practice routine from time to time.

I've always played an Anser/Anser 2 blade, it was perfect for my eye, but I'm a SBST stroke so I desperately tried so many different mallets over the last 6 months and for the life of me could not fully commit. I love the stability and alignment but no matter if it was insert or non-insert, I could never get the distance control down. I saw a long neck Anser 5 Karsten TR in the pro shop the other day and was utterly amazed to find how well it felt for overall balance, at impact, during the swing, and had me rolling puts on a chalk line that never deviated when I put a good stroke on the ball. I bought that to game while I wait for my custom Kingston KP2 long neck :swoon:

I'm sure you've tried one at some point, but for me I do notice a big difference between the Ketsch green and blue models. The blue is a straight stroke and the green is slight arc. I cannot for the life of me putt with a mallet that is made for an arc in your stroke. On the same token I have real troubles putting with a blade that is meant to be swung on a straight path. However, the Ketsch blue I find to be perfect. I can easily swing the head straight back and through because of the upright lie angle and MOI. If you haven't tried the Ketsch blue, do yourself a favor and give it a roll.

• 1 month later...

This is exactly what I found with my Oslo. Center strikes are AWESOME... but if you miss, then you feel it. The putt still goes, but the feel is greatly affected.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

This is exactly what I found with my Oslo. Center strikes are AWESOME... but if you miss, then you feel it. The putt still goes, but the feel is greatly affected.

After 27 holes I haven't found that to be the case with the Bergen.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Did you try the ketsch with oversized grip?

I don't think it's fair to compare a putter with OS grip to one without and make a decision on feel. OS grips dampen vibrations which is the sesantion of feel. Either way it seems like the ketsch is the winner here. It's cheaper, and you hit it better what more do you need to make the decision? Something about the sight lines on top of the putter is functional. Look at what Cleveland and Taylormade did with their recent putters.

After playing a few rounds with my Bergen I have to retract a previous statement. Not a fan of the big Ping grip that comes on it. It will be coming off this week. The grip itself feels great but it takes away from the feel of the putter in my mind.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

After playing a few rounds with my Bergen I have to retract a previous statement. Not a fan of the big Ping grip that comes on it. It will be coming off this week. The grip itself feels great but it takes away from the feel of the putter in my mind.

I think something inbetween the Ping Pistol and a standard grip is what I like. Something similar to the mid-slim 2.0 I think

Spent about a half hour with them both today and still cannot make up my mind.

I like the finish, sound, and feel of the Vault more, but I made more putts with the Ketsch.

This is exactly my dilemma... It's actually making me mad to the point where I'm not going to use either and just stick with a blade, haha

The guys at the golf shop have to be sick of me coming in every 2 weeks, hitting the exact same 2 putters, and walking out without buying anything.

There is just something about the white paint on the face and the matte black that screams Top Flite.

I'm going to be in Myrtle Beach for Christmas, and really want to try the EVNROLL ER6 at the PGA Store. After that I should be ready to make a decision. Right now I'm leaning towards buying a used Ketsch and having it refinished to look like the Ping Starshot finish.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Is there still a lot of love for the Bergen? Think I may purchase a Ketsch or a Bergen. I am aware that the Bergen has 10g heavier headweight but no store near me currently has a Bergen or even an Oslo. Is the general consensus that the Bergen is a more solid putter with more of the headweight in the centre as opposed to the perimeter like the Ketsch?

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

They are both very similar in my opinion. The 10 gram difference is negligible. The Vault may feel a hair softer if anything. The biggest difference is the paint and alignment schemes...

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

Is there still a lot of love for the Bergen? Think I may purchase a Ketsch or a Bergen. I am aware that the Bergen has 10g heavier headweight but no store near me currently has a Bergen or even an Oslo. Is the general consensus that the Bergen is a more solid putter with more of the headweight in the centre as opposed to the perimeter like the Ketsch?

The Vault Bergen is milled from a solid block, compared to the Ketsch which has a steel plate added to the bottom for weight. The Ketsch also comes in a 388 gram head. I like the look of the new Bergen Stealth myself.

• 3 months later...

Digging this one up from a while back but thought I'd comment for future readers. For most of 2017, I had the Ketsch Mid heavy and loved it. Bought it after reading a test that took 5 golfers of various handicaps and measured distance from the hole on 5 putts each from 5 ft increments away from the hole. Boredom set in and I sold it to play the platinum spider I'm gaming now. The Spider is okay and fits my SBST stroke well. Just popped on a Bergen from the BST and can't wait for it to warm up so I give her a roll. From what I've read it's more similar to the film size Ketsch but I like the look of the Bergen better than either Ketsch.

I'll report back with my opinions on feel and performance after I've had a chance to put it in play.

For what its worth I find the feel from the Ketsch is far superior to the plastic dull feel of the Vault. I also prefer the three lines on the Ketsch, it just frames the ball better in my opinion.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

My Ketch has been on the sidelines for a while, but I decided to use it the other day. Wow. Forgot how easy it was to line up and it flows so nice back and through. Had one of my best putting days in some time. I knew there was a reason I have never sold mine lol.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

I bought a Bergan and sold it after one round because the feel was terrible, like putting with a plastic head. I did love the look though.

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

• 1 year later...

> @timbo08 said:

> Anyone get a chance to compare the new Ketsch Vault 2.0 to the old Ketsch?

I'm reviving this thread because I'd like to know as well.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow