Big Life Decision

College is not just for education and skills. It's a place that molds you as an individual. Your future employers see your growth as a person and not just your abilities. Unless you are a Tiger or a Fowler, you need your BA/BS degree. Especially for your generation, an undergraduate degree is a given. A degree will give you more flexibility later in life.

But I do understand the need for a new environment. If you want to live in San Diego, transfer to a university in SD-- UCSD, SD State, etc. You need to complete the requirements for transferring. It usually takes 1-2 years to satisfy to prerequisites. You need to stick it out at your current school until you are eligible to transfer.

And you can always go to a golf academy after school. I have friends that went to culinary/design schools after they finished university. If you need help with UC transferring process, ask me. I went to a UC school.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='NicholasP ' date='22 March 2010 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1269290054' post='2333752']
STAY AND GET A DEGREE!! As a graduate of the SDGA I can honestly say it was the biggest waste of money ever for me. Please feel free to PM me for further details.
[/quote]

That should be all the info Jimmy needs to hear.

SDGA is going to pile up your student debt. The NYT had a long article about all these private professional colleges (cooking, golf, medical etc.). They promise students a lot and charge huge tuition, then you get no job and huge (>$30k) debt that cannot even be discharged in bankruptcy.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

rafal hit the nail on the head.

I can tell you that my brother-in-law went to the SD Golf Academy in Orlando (name changed since then). Regardless, there is absolutely NO reason to attend these schools. You can be a club-fitter or a shop pro without their help, and considering how little money you'll be making when you start, you'd be better off; you don't need the debt. To be honest, not many of the Orlando graduates had jobs at the time of graduation. Most were cart boys, or assistants to the assistant golf pro's assistant, and earned minimum wage.

This is an easy decision. Go to college, or go work at a golf course. Do not attend SD Golf academy!

You should get a real degree but if you have the grades and golf skill, go to San Diego State. Pretty decent school with a good golf team.

Taylormade Stealth 8.5* Kuro Kage TINI 60X

Titleist 917F3 15* AV RAW WHITE

Titleist T300 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X

Cobra King Pur 53* 59* Nippon Modus 3 130x

Ping Redwood D66 Red Iomic

Stay and get your degree! Golf will always be there! As a wife to someone in the golf industry don't expect to get a job and make millions...won't happen! Get the degree, like I tell my own kids if something happened to you and you could never play sports again you will need that degree! I am working on an MBA with a Sports Mang degree and an emphsis in golf, but honestly I will probably end up in hockey...go figure!

It's always good to have that degree to fall back on. The way I see it, you bail on school and it doesn't work out in SD, then you are always going to struggle unless you go back to school. So, go to a PGM school, NMSU was suggested (Aggies!!!) and play in the PGM tourneys. I've seen some of the PGM dudes play here and they aren't bad at all.

Golf is a nasty any way you bend it. But it all relys on you. The PGM Program is the way to go and I wouldnt have done it any other way. As far as I know going thru a PGM prgram is the only way to get a job after college and you have a 4 year degree, which is nice if you wake up one day and find out hey your 24 played two sports professionally and feel like your 68 you can go find something new for a while until golf creeps back up on you.....oh wait thats me. Besides you play something like 5 pgm tourneys a year in 4 years thats 20 rounds of golf right there. Golf will always be there and life moves FAST. Faster than you can ever imagine. Stay in school you will thank yourself in the long run

[quote name='JimmyP91' date='21 March 2010 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1269235786' post='2332600']

... since the s.d. golf academy places u into a career when u graduate i figure this might be the way to go..

[/quote]

Please realize that you have a big misunderstanding of what "placement" service the SDGA offers. If you believe they will find you a job, you are in for a disappointment.

[quote name='JimmyP91' date='21 March 2010 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1269235786' post='2332600']
hey guys,

help me out.. idk if i want to stay at missouri southern state university, and continue to be a student and a golfer there... or if i should move to san diego and join the san diego golf academy, and [i][b]work on my pga stuff[/b][/i].

i know that[i][b] i am going to wind up working in the golf industry[/b][/i] because thats what i have a passion for, and since the s.d. golf academy places u into a career when u graduate i figure this might be the way to go..

not to mention... san diego.. perfect weather..
and it would be a great place for me to try to accomplish my [i][b]main goal of playing professional golf.[/b][/i]

[/quote]

Three things I highlighted that are effectively three different career paths.

PGA member - SandyEggo Golf Academy and others like it as well as the university PGM programs train you for a career as a PGA Pro - the guys that work in the golf shop, give lessons, score tournaments, fold shirts, etc. Can be a rewarding career but you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Generally low pay but you can distinguish yourself as a top manager or teacher.

Working in the golf industry - encompasses the entire business spectrum of golf - equipment manufacturing primarily, including sales. A bachelors degree in business/marketing is essential. Golf talent is helpful for schmooze factor/client relationship/team building... More possibilities of higher earnings achieved more quickly

Professional tournament golfer - all you need is talent for this one. No degree or PGM cert is needed.

As I see it, the bachelor's degree in business/marketing is most valuable, because it is applicable to the widest range of jobs and can cross-over away from golf if necessary. You play on the golf team and continue to hone your game and develop a tournament resume. You and your coach will soon know it if you have a pro game. And you can always pursue the PGA program as an add on to your degree.

The golf academy will help you with the goal of being a PGA member, won't help you become a professional tournament golfer, nor will it get you a job in the general business realm.

Good luck with your choices!

just to let you all know..

i understand the sdga does not give me my pga stuff... i knew i had to do it on my own.. but in talking to the academy they say they help you individually with it..

i know the difference between a pro golfer.. and a golf pro... never do i want to be a golf pro...

being a pro golfer would be great.. but knowing that that is highly unlikely that is why i am in the middle of this decision.. sdga.. or college... if i was only going to try to play pro golf i wouldnt do either...

and i know they will not just PLACE me into a job..but they do help you get one ..

remember that i have actually done my research and talked to the school...

my original post was a lot for me to express and i tried doing it in the least amount of typing... i was just trying to get the general jist of it out to you guys.. so it didnt really need to be picked apart..

i appreciate all the relevant positive posts...

not so much on some of the others...

but its all good info...
thanks guys

[quote name='JimmyP91' date='23 March 2010 - 09:58 AM' timestamp='1269356291' post='2335377']
just to let you all know..

i know the difference between a pro golfer.. and a golf pro... never do i want to be a golf pro...

being a pro golfer would be great.. but knowing that that is highly unlikely that is why i am in the middle of this decision.. sdga.. or college... if i was only going to try to play pro golf i wouldnt do either...

[/quote]

Ahhhh to be young again. The downside to being young is having to make life decisions that will impact you for the rest of your life.

If you don't want to be a golf pro, and you say being a pro golfer is highly unlikely, then you say if you were going to try to play pro golf...you wouldn't do either. Seriously, you need to take a deep breath and think about what you want to be doing say when you are 35 years old. I can tell you this, a college degree is something that many look back on when they are in their 40s, 50s and say "Damn, how stupid was I not to finish college and get my degree!!!" A college degree opens doors that will never be opened without one. I hire people in my job. If I get 2 applicants who seem to be equal in talent, one with a degree and one without, I'm going with the degreed person. Why? He stayed the course for 4 years and worked for something. I like that a person will stay the course and who is willing to work hard for something.

So, you need to decide what it is you want to do in the golf world. Are you really good enough to be a tour pro? Would you be happy working for some golf related company? What kind of degree would they want you to have. It really is all about where in the golf world you see yourself in the near and distant future. I have said for years, if I had enough talent to play pro golf and win enough money to cover expenses and still be able to eat hamburgers...I would have done it. But, I was never good enough and I knew it.

Good luck in your decision. Keep us informed as to what you do.

These "trade" school are in it for the money and will tell you anything to get you in so they can take your money.

You can always get into the golf industry with a degree from an accredited university but you can't do anything else outside of the golf industry graduating from a "golf school/academy".

Stay in school and get your degree, may it be from a PGM program or any other degrees. What's 3-4 more years compared to the 50-60 years of the rest of your life?

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish

[quote name='tjy355' date='23 March 2010 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1269402438' post='2337035']
[quote name='JimmyP91' date='23 March 2010 - 07:58 AM' timestamp='1269356291' post='2335377']

[/quote]

Just curious... If you don't want to be a golf pro, what is the point of attending the SDGA?
[/quote]

okay first when you say I want to work on my PGA stuff you need to clarfiy that you want to play golf and not a teaching pro. Most of those for profit schools are to help you with teaching the game of golf not playing. Unless its Letterbetter or how ever you spell his name place. And I have not seen one person who has attacked you in this thread. You asked for the opinion of these members and I think we told you what you did not want to hear

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Clemson. Hate the school with every bit of my soul - but they do all the golf, turf management, etc real well. It's an ACC program (might help getting on the team if your Grandpa is Arnold Palmer though.) so if you don't make the actual Team - I am sure there are clubs with some pretty good players in them.

Titleist 913D2 8.5 Fuji Fuel TS 70X
913 FD 13.5 D+ 82 X
Adams Idea Pro Gold 18*
714 MB/CB PX 6.0 HS
Stainless Newport Beach/Circa 62 No. 2
Titleist 54.08 & Mizzy 60.06

Hello Jimmy-- I recommend getting a Bachelors degree from a four year school. I graduated from Cal in 1976 then went into the golf business. Became an apprentice and after three years or so got my full PGA credentials. However, I decided that the golf business was not for me and was able to use my degree to qualify for law school and have now been an attorney for 23 years. Still love and play golf but would not have had the option for another career without the degree. So, keep your options open and graduate from college!!

jimmy i am a junior in high school with the same problem i can't decide what path to go on. i am debating about either methodist university in north carolina or penn state... im from pennsylvania though.. but to help you out arizona state has a pgm program as well and we all know about there golf program

Ping G400 9* - Oban Kiyoshi Black 65x
Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 15* - Graphite Design AD-DI 75x

Taylormade Sim 18* - Diamana Kai'li  70x
Taylormade 790 4i - Graphite Design AD-DI 95x 
Taylormade P-7MC 5-P - DG TI Onyx x100
Titleist SM8 50, 55 & 60 - DG TI Onyx s400
Artisan 0519 - 35"

• 3 weeks later...

Methodist University is far and above one of the better PGM programs. Jimmy and Daniel, I recommend to both of you that you look into it thoroughly. I am a freshman here and I love the school. The PGM program is top notch and the staff is phenomenal. If you are a good golfer then the golf team is always dominant in D3. They play many D1 tournaments and win easily, so they are not just a small D3 program. My email is [email protected] if you have any questions at all about the program email me and ask.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Jimmy

Great question. There are positive and negatives for both. If you like playing competitive golf, stick with the college golf. San Diego golf academy will always be there. When you graduate college, you can go to the San Diego golf academy. If you leave college, trust me you will regret it. College golf was the best experience of my life. The friends, competition, etc. Not to mention the discounts and free greens fees/practice balls at your home course.