Froth's Bag of tricks and random old stuff. (updated 9/02/14)

Love the bag Froth. My eldest is still carrying one of those PING 5-pockets. I notice you really like the Salty putter grip. Can you elaborate on why? I personally think they'd feel wonderful and offer the most feedback possible (besides a bare shaft) but wonder about their durability.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DrPaul' timestamp='1376098173' post='7644970']
Just think how good you'd be with Modern Equipment :)

Good luck with the mini tours
[/quote]
Thanks! It's modern where it counts. Finding things that work and tuning your swing to refine your shots is what matters and how you lower scores. The modern Ball is the largest advancement in the game. Players irons have changed very little over the years. The only thing I could potentially gain is more spin with modern grooves but I don't need that, I put plenty of spin on the ball with the old V-Groove. Short game is key, I work on chipping and putting every day, EVERY day.
[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1376099917' post='7645178']
Love the bag Froth. My eldest is still carrying one of those PING 5-pockets. I notice you really like the Salty putter grip. Can you elaborate on why? I personally think they'd feel wonderful and offer the most feedback possible (besides a bare shaft) but wonder about their durability.
[/quote]
You would be shocked at how durable they are, I was initially very timid about them because I feared other grips running into the end of it as they slid into the bag may damage it. Not a chance, I treat it like a normal grip now - no worries about durability. I will sing the praises of this grip forever, it gets BETTER with age as it very slowly molds to the grip you use and very small indentations form where your thumbs rest - the feel is crazy, if you push a ball along the ground with my putter you can feel each individual dimple as the ball rolls against the face. Instant feedback on how the putt is struck before the ball is even 1" away from the face. Very very nice. High dollar fly fishing rods use Cork for a grip for a reason! The added bonus is the increased head weight feel as the grip is pretty light considering the size, plus they look incredible! No negatives in any way with this grip, my grip pressure on my putter was halved immediately by switching to this grip. I may [i]never[/i] change this putter again, I really feel I've found "the one". I will [i]never[/i] use a different putter grip so long as the Salty is around.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

That bag is a classic Froth, good luck with the mini tours.

[size=4][b]Driver:[/b] [color=#0000ff]Callaway XR - 10.5*[/color]
[b]Fairways: [/b][color=#0000ff]Callaway XR - 4 Wood & 7 Wood[/color][/size]
[size=4][b]Hybrid:[/b][color=#0000ff] PING G30 4H[/color]
[b]Irons:[/b] [color=#0000ff]PING G30 5- PW, UW[/color]
[b]Putter:[/b] [color=#0000ff]Odyssey White Ice Mallet[/color]
[b]Wedges:[/b] [color=#0000ff]PING Glide 56* and 60*[/color][/size]

I can hit the 3iron in that bag 260+ off the tee, so...I don't complain. I hit a 6iron to pin high from 201yds on the par5 1st hole yesterday. I probably don't need modern heads.
As for the putter...I smile every time I look at it, it's just perfect. I have never been able to sight a putt as good as I can with this thing behind the ball.

WITB Link

Very nice!

Questions: What are your impressions of the Tour Concept shafts? Have you played regular x100's? Opinions? Also, 3/8 increments on the irons? What does this do for someone vs. 1/2 inch?

Lots of cool stuff in that bag!

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I very much like the Tour concept shafts, the ball height off 3-4-5 is very nice but the 8-9-PW do not balloon on me like my DG XP's did. I like these more than regular X-100's they actually offer MORE consistency in my shot making which I didn't think was really possible. I will be playing these shafts a very long time, they load well and they keep a good weighted feel throughout the entire set, as an added bonus none of the steps start until after the grip area so I no longer need to build up the right hand of my grip with tape.

3/8" step downs means my spine angle is the same or close to it for my 3iron as it is for my Lob Wedge. Some people may have 4 to 4.5" in difference from 3iron to Wedge, however I've only got 2.5" difference from 3iron to Wedge and only 8.5" Difference from Driver to Wedge. Improves my spine angle, makes me feel better over wedges, I really like the change.

WITB Link

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1376149959' post='7647560']
I very much like the Tour concept shafts, the ball height off 3-4-5 is very nice but the 8-9-PW do not balloon on me like my DG XP's did. I like these more than regular X-100's they actually offer MORE consistency in my shot making which I didn't think was really possible. I will be playing these shafts a very long time, they load well and they keep a good weighted feel throughout the entire set, as an added bonus none of the steps start until after the grip area so I no longer need to build up the right hand of my grip with tape.

3/8" step downs means my spine angle is the same or close to it for my 3iron as it is for my Lob Wedge. Some people may have 4 to 4.5" in difference from 3iron to Wedge, however I've only got 2.5" difference from 3iron to Wedge and only 8.5" Difference from Driver to Wedge. Improves my spine angle, makes me feel better over wedges, I really like the change.
[/quote]

Hi Froth. Thanks for the reply. This 3/8 increment thing was suggested to me by someone very knowledgeable on this site, but I still can't wrap my head around it. Doesn't that mean your shorter sticks are "over"-length? I would have thought that would make them harder to swing? Clearly that all isn't the case, though...

Titleist ProV1x

Just out of curiosity, if you were to build a modern bag, all clubs within the last 2-3 years, what would you tryout?

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

Srixon Pro-100 Irons 3-PW
Miura SW/LW (Custom ground)
Srixon XXIO 8° Driver (Already have one on the way...)
Mizuno MP650 15° 3wood (rocket of a 3wood)
906F4 18.5° 5wood (these things are gold, don't ever replace one)
- Same putter I currently bag.

I would also have a 2 and 3 of the Titleist 712U and a 17° and 23° Ping Anser Hybrid to swap out based on the course and conditions. Minus the 712u Ive hit everything on that list and my bag is pretty happy without them. I WILL be getting a 712u if I like how they hit the ball.

Edit, Bought a Srixon XXIO 8° off the 'Bay, gonna put my Frankenshaft in it and see how it performs. My 7.5° 907D2 Finally made me mad enough to give it a shot at being replaced, It hasn't been the same since the Hosel broke. I have my backup 8.5° 907D2 in the bag right now, It's got a 44.5" Paragon Pro-Long Stiff Tipped 1.25" and inserted 1.5" into the D2 head in it.

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1376101027' post='7645298']
The only thing I could potentially gain is more spin with modern grooves but I don't need that, I put plenty of spin on the ball with the old V-Groove.
[/quote]

Are your grooves legal for competitive play? I can't find anything on the USGA database. My Bridgestone J33's are now illegal (unless for amatuer events) and they're from 2005. I don't know how you would find out actually.

The only thing I could potentially gain is more spin with modern grooves but I don't need that, I put plenty of spin on the ball with the old V-Groove.

Are your grooves legal for competitive play? I can't find anything on the USGA database. My Bridgestone J33's are now illegal (unless for amatuer events) and they're from 2005. I don't know how you would find out actually.

Even if a club model fails their testing for a certain model, or is not on the list the USGA states - "in all events, actual testing of the club or clubs in question, if applicable, shall supersede the findings in the Database."

FG-17's are not in the database, so they would have to be tested. They're pretty traditional, so I find no reason for them to fail. I Re-Grooved them to clean rust out, I removed almost no metal from any of them. The PW/SW/LW are the worst, and they have weak shallow grooves from me refinishing them and wanting to error on the side of caution.

- the USGA sent a letter to MFG's to let them know, they stated.

"In accordance with previous agreements, clubs manufactured before March 31, 1990 that meet the criteria of USGA Decision USGA/4-1/100, such as the Ping Eye 2, will be treated by the USGA as conforming to the Rules of Golf and will continue to be acceptable for all USGA competitions."

and that regulation states:

USGA/4-1/100 Club Face Markings01c14bf8-14e1-4633-bedf-83789baf52fd.gif

Q. May a player use a golf club with a groove spacing to groove width ratio of 2.3 to 1, if that club was manufactured before March 31, 1990, even though Appendix II 5c(i) requires that the groove spacing to groove width ratio must be no less than 3 to 1?

A. Yes. It is, however, the responsibility of the player to provide proof of the date on which the club was manufactured. If the player cannot provide such proof, the club must conform with the specifications described in Appendix II 5c(i).

So, The only concern of my clubs would be the Depth and width of the grooves, since they are pre-1990 the spacing of the grooves doesn't matter - They're over 3:1 ratio anyway, so they pass that spec.

Then, the USGA states in the same letter to MFG's

"The objective of this change is to limit the effectiveness of grooves on shots from the rough to the effect of the traditional V-groove design, without mandating the use of only V-grooves. The new regulations permit club designers to vary groove width, depth, spacing and shape to create clubs that conform to this groove rule."

It would stand to reason that my clubs should pass, I will however have them tested by the USGA before competitive play is attempted.

here's the USGA site for info on submission of clubs for testing - http://www.usga.org/equipment/testing/submission_process/Checking-Clubs-for-Conformance-to-the-New-Groove-Rules%282%29/

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lumberhack' timestamp='1377921534' post='7775547']
Let me get this straight, Froth. You're 6'4", strong as an ox, not yet 30 years old, play a bag full of gorgeous blades, can hit a 3 iron 260+, regroove your own clubs, and have played to a +0.2? Hell, man, that's just not fair!
[/quote]
Yeah, It's a long story. My father put a '74 Hogan Director 7-iron in my hand that he cut down to 20" when I was 4yrs old. The rest kind of just fell into place, I've been hitting from the Tips since I was 17. Most courses I play are over 131 Slope with a 72-74 rating and 6800-7200yds from the back boxes(blue or black). Eventually, I would like to Engineer golf clubs as well. My mind races with ideas constantly.

My secret? MILK! I drink a metric crapload of 1% and 1/2% Milk, I average 80-100oz a day easily and I've been doing that since my early teens. At any given time there is 3 Gallons or more in the Fridge. I would say I consume 150 gallons of milk per year on average, or a Gallon roughly every two days. My metabolism has always been stupid fast, to a point where I on-average consume 4000-5000 Calories per day. I take in a lot of Protein in non-milk form as well.

Edit: I gotta update this when my Conforming Wedges get here. (Update, they got here... Now I gotta update pics)

WITB Link

would love to see the wedges with the custom grinds i bet they look sweet i see you put the big stick back in the bag also

Here's my grinds. The 60(right) is more subtle than the 56(Left).

callygrinds.jpg

I started with fairly large bounce so I could shave as much off as I needed to, which wasn't as much as I thought I'd have to. The 56 slides so well on tighter lies now and is much more versatile than just straight 12° of bounce, probably closer to 10° now, and it's way more rounded. The 60 I just wanted to blunt the leading edge some to make the overall profile flatter, I took a little off the heel side close to the hosel as well to let it open up better.

As far as the Driver goes, I should have NEVER taken my 975J out in the first place...I was a moron and cost myself money by trying to go "Latest and Greatest" searching for a newer Driver and in the end it did nothing but frustrate me and cost me money. So, 975J is back.

Also, First post updated to reflect what I'm currently carrying.

WITB Link

[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1378678561' post='7816741']
If you hit it 260 with a butter knife 3 iron, why even carry a driver or 3 wood.
[/quote]
I get asked that a lot. I carry it now to get a shorter iron into greens for a chance at better proximity to hole. I didn't carry a driver for a while to prove to myself I didn't need it, my scores were the same. Now my brain knows that it's my [i]choice[/i] to hit Driver or not.

I did a bunch of experimenting with my gaps, which even included making a 15° 1-iron. Talk about tons of roll, hilarious amounts of roll.

WITB Link

would love to see the wedges with the custom grinds i bet they look sweet i see you put the big stick back in the bag also

Here's my grinds. The 60(right) is more subtle than the 56(Left).

callygrinds.jpg

I started with fairly large bounce so I could shave as much off as I needed to, which wasn't as much as I thought I'd have to. The 56 slides so well on tighter lies now and is much more versatile than just straight 12° of bounce, probably closer to 10° now, and it's way more rounded. The 60 I just wanted to blunt the leading edge some to make the overall profile flatter, I took a little off the heel side close to the hosel as well to let it open up better.

As far as the Driver goes, I should have NEVER taken my 975J out in the first place...I was a moron and cost myself money by trying to go "Latest and Greatest" searching for a newer Driver and in the end it did nothing but frustrate me and cost me money. So, 975J is back.

Also, First post updated to reflect what I'm currently carrying.

Those look awesome hey i might have to send you my old rac wedges to do some custom grinding just kidding not really id love it haha they would cool with a torch finish and some cool paintfill and x100s to fit your game. As for the driver me and my dad were talking the other day that the major oems should do a limited edition series for there classic drivers Titleist with the 975 series Cally with the Big berthas Tmag with the bubble burner, they would sell out many people still love classics but there tough to find in good shape

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max D 12° Driver

Ping BeCu Eye 2 + Brown Dot 4-PW/SW Irons

Taylormade MySpider GT Putter

[quote name='MrTmag' timestamp='1378832628' post='7826501']
As for the driver me and my dad were talking the other day that the major oems should do a limited edition series for there classic drivers Titleist with the 975 series Cally with the Big berthas Tmag with the bubble burner, they would sell out many people still love classics but there tough to find in good shape
[/quote]
I'd be first in line to buy a Smaller modern driver. If ping released the Anser in 350cc or so, I'd have one. The Anser is by far my favorite modern Driver other than the size.

Edit: If the Yonex E-Zone 380cc wasn't so damned expensive, I'd buy one to try out.

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's a sad day when I remove the 975J I've had for 8 years permanently, it has officially hit its last ball. The face has finally given up the ghost, Lost 20mph ball speed on pure Drives and it feels/sounds dead. :(

Edit: Experimental replacement currently in bag, 907D2 8.5° With 100g UST Irod Tour Hybrid shaft. Bought a new bag too, so I need to update my pictures.

Edit Edit: Put 3-iron back in bag, Because I like it more off the tee than the Hybrid.

Edit Edit Edit: I'm being super lazy with updating my pictures, but I really need to. Put my other putter that is in the rotation back in the bag, Face Balanced Bent-Shaft Ping Cushin, Also has a Salty Grip on it. Currently experimenting with a 130g shaft in a Backup driver, whole club is 400g total weight.... AKA Sledgehammer! Changed the grind on my 60° wedge a little, took 2mm off the trailing edge and rounded it into the center so it would open up a little better than it did previously.

WITB Link

• 4 weeks later...

Finally updated first post, Major changes include: Bag itself, No 5-wood(the face freaking cracked!), Added 2-iron, and Back to my original Putter for a while. The 2-iron is back to replace the dead 5-wood and I'm pretty happy about it honestly, been wanting to hit more 2's off the tee and now I finally had a reason to take my favorite club out of the bag(the 5 wood). The putter change was just because I wanted to experiment with a heavier putter, and the Ping had lots of room to add lead. Of course, both of my putters have Salty Grips so there's no change in that aspect. Best grip ever.

WITB Link

Hey Froth. I just got my s3 mb's back with the Tour Concept x100's installed. Can't wait to try them with the Fg Tour. :)

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1382054396' post='8018367']
Hey Froth. I just got my s3 mb's back with the Tour Concept x100's installed. Can't wait to try them with the Fg Tour. :)
[/quote]
Awesome! I really am considering stockpiling a few sets of these shafts, I like them that much. Sorta considering trying the Tour Concept Wedge shafts, since I like the X100's so much.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1382054987' post='8018433']
Glad you like the 2-iron Froth. You will probably find it more accurate off the tee. :-)
[/quote]
Knowing me, I'll probably still find a reason to take it out and put it back in 20 more times. Hehe.

WITB Link