Doral Blue Monster new rate$$$$ $495.00

JCA

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In July to Sept (right smack in the middle of hurricane season). you can get a stay and play package for $200.00 per person per night in a double room plus pay an extra $265.00 with caddie per person for the blue. Still overpriced for that time of year and the risks involved! And you haven't yet bought a bottle of Trump Water!

I played the Blue Monster with a room/breakfast/golf deal for $125 in 2009 or 2010, can't remember which. St Andrews Old Course is 155 pounds (approx $250), and you could play both courses at Sunningdale or Walton Heath for way less than $495,..and they're ranked in the world's top 100 courses. I'm pretty sure Doral Blue Monster hasn't been in the top 100 in the US for a while now...but with a redesign who knows, could crawl back in. I guess the new business model is make it expensive, people will want to play it, therefore it will have value. Not necessarily true...ask a Jaguar owner.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

is it crazy they are charging it or crazy people are willing to pay it?

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1392402470' post='8668301']
is it crazy they are charging it or crazy people are willing to pay it?
[/quote]

A week or so ago they had Trump and more importantly, Ivanka on MD and they were talking about their goal for Doral. They flat out said they're bucking the trend and politely stated they're aiming for the more "discerning" player who wants a top end experience. Clearly, they're defined a market segment and that's the target.

So 100 golfers a day gets the course $50,000. Trump doesn't care about the 2500 golfers a day that would like to play there, he only needs 100 golfers that are willing to spend the money. To me some of the most overpriced golf in the country is in Las Vegas. I'm not trying to be offensive, just my opinion. Vegas seems to have the Trump (successful) business mentality of just pull in 100 high rollers daily and the masses can play elsewhere.

In 1989 I bought a full week badge to the Doral Ryder Open for around $35. It included a free round of golf during the summer at any of the courses except the Blue Monster, which was a $30 upgrade to play. I gladly paid the $30 to play. I think the normal greens fee was $85 back then.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

If that includes caddie and tip its not out of line with other top end courses - provided it is a top end course after the refurb.

When Trump came to DC and redid a two course property here people trashed on him for, well, for just about everything. Didnt like this, didnt like that, he's a jerk, he's pompus, he only cares about money....etc ad nauseum. Well, I played there a couple summers ago. He created an absolutely amazing experience. He took an already decent property and completely revamped it, it was absolutely amazing. Say what you want about Trump but the man loves golf with a passion and has the money to back it up.

If he is intentionally trying to get less play on the course to cater to his players and provide a high end, non crowded experience - honestly - I'd be in favor of that. Playing Pebble was fantastic but it was not fantastic that the round took over 5.5 hours for the price.

Still a lot of unknowns here but from my personal experience I'm giving Trump the benefit of the doubt.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1392409991' post='8669151']
If that includes caddie and tip its not out of line with other top end courses - provided it is a top end course after the refurb.

When Trump came to DC and redid a two course property here people trashed on him for, well, for just about everything. Didnt like this, didnt like that, he's a jerk, he's pompus, he only cares about money....etc ad nauseum. Well, I played there a couple summers ago. He created an absolutely amazing experience. He took an already decent property and completely revamped it, it was absolutely amazing. Say what you want about Trump but the man loves golf with a passion and has the money to back it up.

If he is intentionally trying to get less play on the course to cater to his players and provide a high end, non crowded experience - honestly - I'd be in favor of that. Playing Pebble was fantastic but it was not fantastic that the round took over 5.5 hours for the price.

Still a lot of unknowns here but from my personal experience I'm giving Trump the benefit of the doubt.
[/quote]

You're right. I as at Trump National last year. It cost a lot but it was probably good value because you got a lot of quality for your dollar.

The only way I see myself playing there is in very low season, July-Sept (pray there are no hurricanes that week), use the stay and play golf package and pay the surcharge of $265 (with caddie and tip) for the Blue Monster. But the regular rate of $495 is just ridiculous for a course in the middle of Miami (Doral town) charging the same as Pebble Beach (top ten in the world) or Shadow Creek in Vegas where the whole experience will be a LOT better than what Trump is offering at Doral.

Just to be clear I regularly play at a Trump Golf Club so I have no hate towards the man and I know exactly how you are treated at a Trump Club.

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1392404951' post='8668621']
So 100 golfers a day gets the course $50,000. Trump doesn't care about the 2500 golfers a day that would like to play there, he only needs 100 golfers that are willing to spend the money. To me some of the most overpriced golf in the country is in Las Vegas. I'm not trying to be offensive, just my opinion. Vegas seems to have the Trump (successful) business mentality of just pull in 100 high rollers daily and the masses can play elsewhere.
[/quote]

This would be my guess as to what they are trying to do. You can give the small amount who come out daily a great experience and the course should always be in phenomenal shape with the lack of use.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

All comes down to what you value. At the outset, I'd say that the $495 is pretty steep for a course that isn't actually rated that highly. However, including caddie and tip, if the experience is outstanding it [b]may [/b]make it more bearable. I would say that for [b]only[/b] $450 at Whistling Straits or $350 at Bandon , all in, I'd say this might be a tough pill to swallow.

My first and only Ace was on #9 at Doral, so I have fond memories. With that said, it is the most overrated golf course that has a "big time" reputation that I have ever played. I played all of there courses and like their hotel rooms, it is tired. I live in Palm Springs, CA and can tell you that many courses there are way overpriced, so I think I can judge pretty fairly from not just PS, but traveling extensively. Doral is a "municipal type" course with a brand recognition that is way beyond what it can truly deliver. It is a $150 course at best...

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

The Blue Monster will no longer be open July- September, especially not this years the course needs to heal . Start saving your lunch money. Caddie tip is not included I'm the $450 for outside guests of the property. Also the course is cart path only so walking is the way to go. +$50 per bag more for walking caddies. Resort guest and unaccompanied member guest will pay $395. Find a member and he can get you on for just north of $200. The course is amazing, excellent redesign and there may be a few more changes after this year tourney. Oh yeah and the last tee time is 1:30

[quote name='OrlandoSean' timestamp='1392435991' post='8671765']
Other than Colonial and Augusta no other venue has hosted a PGA tour event for over 50 years than Doral. Can't say that about Pebble Beach.
[/quote]

I don't know what point you're trying to make with this fact. If you're trying to correlate the number of years hosting a PGA event with the quality of a course, I think that's a spurious connection...at best.

Most expensive golf is Hawaii $400 is pretty much the norm at the nice courses.

Nicest courses on the planet

1) pebble beach - this could be a credibility thing but damn what a course .

2) sand hollow ( st george UT ) this is the most unique jaw dropping course ive ever played. The 3 hole stretch on the side of a bright red mountain + contrast of lush bright green grass + 500ft drop just feet away = amazing.

3) indian wells ( palm springs Ca) .... wow just an immaculate course . The greens were better then anything ive ever putted on, the scenery was spectacular.

4) wolf creek and conestoga golf club ( mesquite NV ) simply put , it feels like your playing on mars. Nothing but beige/red rock around you as far as you can see. Plus the bright green contrast just makes it amazing.

5) kapalua plantation course ( maui Hi ) its the plantation course need I say more.

There are probably 150 courses nicer and better then the blue monster.

[quote name='Jonnybagadonuts' timestamp='1392535375' post='8678163']
Most expensive golf is Hawaii $400 is pretty much the norm at the nice courses.

[/quote]

Just returned from Princeville and Kapalua in Dec where I played 6 rounds and can tell you that golf in Hawaii is no where near $400. Try $285 full rack rate at Kapalua and $195 at Princeville.

I've played at multiple Trump properties, including a member-guest at Trump Bedminster. I will tell you that nothing is cheap, but you ALWAYS feel like you at least got what you paid for.

The Champions Course at PGA National is $295 plus Caddie, so Doral is right in the ballpark IMO

In 2009 I went to Doral with 26 of my closest friends for a week of golf. We paid $169 a night for a play and stay. I understand that the course is now in much better condition but still, this is not a $500 golf course. A lot of the new courses or redesigned courses are tacking these high play fees on because the think that it's going to make the course more exclusive but in reality all they are doing is cutting out people like me. I will gladly pay $495 for Pebble Beach but Doral is not Pebble Beach. It's like Shadow Creek in LV, they want $500 to play there, again, it's not Pebble Beach or Whistling Straits. Granted, there is a lot of money in LV and South FL and I'm sure they will be booked but I'm glad I've played Doral because I'm not going back. There are too many other great courses in this country that charge way less than $500 that I want to play. Trump, you are one arrogant SOB.

I last played it about 10 years ago, and it was a pretty average golf course. Other than #18 which is ridiculously difficult.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

What make Pebble Beach sooooo special? What makes any course special? Trump had Doral redesigned 11 holes completely changed and all have been reworked and 18 new green complexes, also in the heart of Miami next to the airport. For those that save up all year for a bucket round it's probably not for you Im sure Golfnow has some deals somewhere else. I may come off biased toward Doral because everyone hates on it and hates on Trump but anybody who knows anything about nice golf course knows this guy puts out a great product top to bottom. I'm sure once the pros play in March and give their reactions to the new course it will be the hottest to play. I've seen the old course and the new and its very different and much better.

[quote name='OrlandoSean' timestamp='1392868996' post='8706683']
What make Pebble Beach sooooo special? What makes any course special? Trump had Doral redesigned 11 holes completely changed and all have been reworked and 18 new green complexes, also in the heart of Miami next to the airport. For those that save up all year for a bucket round it's probably not for you Im sure Golfnow has some deals somewhere else. I may come off biased toward Doral because everyone hates on it and hates on Trump but anybody who knows anything about nice golf course knows this guy puts out a great product top to bottom. I'm sure once the pros play in March and give their reactions to the new course it will be the hottest to play. I've seen the old course and the new and its very different and much better.
[/quote]

As for Pebble, I did not think it would be as cool as it was. Great golf experience. At times, the landscape takes you away from the golf. Then the golf does challenge your game and imagination. For one day, playing Pebble and Spy has been my favorite golf experience so far. I have played Doral and enjoy but it was not the golf experience of Pebble, Torrey(when staying at the lodge), Kohler. Doral does have Palacio de los jugos right down the street though so it might be a toss up after drinking that coffee for a buck.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1