Joining a local muni, talk me down or shove me over the edge

I know this is a pretty much no brainer, but just for the sake of gab and possibly some thoughts I have not considered here goes. I currently find myself wanting to join a local muni to have access to unlimited play w/cart and range balls. I have a steady weekend job along with an upstart business that is all but dead. A nice course within 20 minutes of my home has a weekday membership for $110 a month (close to what I spend for 1 round a week). Funding is really tight but I cannot see myself giving up the game and I wanna get better. It is maddening but it also keeps me sane if that makes sense. I would have o be in pretty bad shape if I couldn't squeeze out $27.50 a week from somewhere. The longest yardage is 6726 with a 73.1/132 rating which should give me plenty of room to grow. The practice facilities are pretty decent and spacious and they have also hosted a Hooters Tour event once back in 2005. Well I think I have covered it all so time to talk me down or shove me over. Thanks for any and all replies. Here is a link to the course if anyone is interested. http://www.baileyranchgolf.com/index.htm

Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang there are a lot of Okies on this board. :)

If you would have spent that much money playing at that course anyway go for it. How many rounds would you have to play to break even. Golfing more just to get your money's worth doesn't count. Ask yourself how many rounds would you honestly play at that course per year if you paid by the round.

This is a no brainer my friend.
Yes...money is tight......but in your lifetime.....$1320 for 1 year is not going to make you poor or rich.

6726/73.1/132 is considered a very good course.
I'm sure many here on this site would luv to have a weekday membership including cart on this quality track for $1320...I know i would.

Pull the trigger.

In all honesty price is what has kept me from playing the course more. The membership also includes playing privileges at another top area course as well for just a $10 cart fee. I would have to play 2.5 rounds to break even or 3.5 twilite rounds. Here is a link to the $10 privilege course it is 7206 yds. 75.3/134 rating. http://www.battlecreekgolf.net/

34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

I have joined 2 courses and regretted both but that's probably my personality.
What ends up happening is:
1. I do a few RUSH rounds to squeeze in some extra rounds. Eliminates the relaxation part of the game.
2. I get bored with the course LONG before the term is over.
3. I avoid playing anywhere else because I feel like I'm throwing away money when I should be playing on the course I joined.

We have a local muni that some clients joined (ultra cheap and easy to walk and get on) and while I enjoy playing it, I've avoided joining just because I'm sure #2 will kick in as soon as I join. You go out there on a Tuesday evening and there are 15 "members" hitting specific shots over and over. They'll dump a dozen balls at 150 yards and chip onto the green.

I do like variety as well, but to cure that itch we have another avenue here. The area has a PGA golf pass for $50 that has courses in a 3 state area that offer deep discounts, and most are just pay cart fee for a free round. I do like variety and it would take a pretty decent course to make me ponder joining. I see no problem getting more than my monies worth out of the membership, unless of course a Hail Mary happens and my business blows up.

34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

i would definitely take the offer, hard to beat decent golf at that price, i use to think i would get tired of the same course, but you can set your benchmarks on this course and for you still can play other courses when the price or timing is right.

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

Great replies and all appreciated. Keep em coming. I feel this will help me immensely. I really want to get an official handicap and this will enable me to better do so, not to mention the practice facilities to hopefully help me transform my game and gain some much needed consistency. It will also allow me to disband from the Ho train. Another great thing about both courses is that neither utilize golfnow so that kind of helps keep traffic down a bit as well as the fact that being owned by the city they seem to be taking steps to address past problems they have had with a few secluded holes. The partner course is a real test for me as a good number of the holes are lined with houses in a links style setting. I will have no choice but to hone my tee box skills in order to keep the ball in play while visiting there.

34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

[quote name='Playaway' timestamp='1395176536' post='8899483']
That place would lose money on me just reseeding my divot patches.
[/quote]I feel they may live to regret it when I join and will soon greet me by saying Welcome Home. I also failed to mention of all the staff I have met thus far all have been very top notch and outgoing. It would be nothing for me to play 36 holes a day as well as practice time at least 2 days a week.

34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

I played a course back in Ohio, I think it was, $575 for the season. Membership didnt include cart but you could add that too for a discount. It was an easy walking course though, no need for a cart.

For me it was worth it. You learn alot about yourself and your game playing the same course over and over. Trends, misses, etc will show themselves after you have little excuse to give. You'll know the grees well enough to focus on putting path and arc. I'd do it. The course looks nice and many on here would kill for that course at that price to be near them!

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

In my three years of golf I bought a membership last year and loved it. The course was really close to my house. I was able to sneak on early or late and I didn't mind cutting rounds short if I had to. I was able to practice a ton. An added benefit was I was able to grow my business through the men's club at the course. I thought I would feel obligated to play at the home course only because if I didn't... I was giving up "free" golf! But I never had that issue. I never felt guilty about playing golf elsewhere. It sounds like it is a great track, with a great practice facility, with a great price. PLUS, you have the time to really get your moneys worth. When your business blows up you might not be able to play as often, BUT you will have a successful business! Plus you will be able to really afford the membership fee when business increases without any guilt!

DO IT!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Sounds like a very solid deal to me. You may also find yourself with a couple new golf buddies once other members see that you joined and are frequenting the course at a certain time. MY best memories of my short time playing the game and working in the business was my time as a college member at my old course back home. I learned a TON about the game and about myself on that golf course and loved every minute and every penny I spent there.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Do you have a family? Prolly don't want to take food out of their mouths for golf ...

Are you single? DO IT! You can eat next year.

Nothing better than squeezing in 6 or 7 holes on a deserted course right before dark ... and knowing you didn't spend a green fee on it!

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Again great responses. I do have a family and would definitely not do anything to take food out of their mouths. It is moreso a factor of better allocating money that is already being spent. I pretty much knew my intentions when I posted this but always like to hear others input on a subject. Also coupled with the fact it is not a bickering or blade thread hahahha.

34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

[quote name='EJ Mac' timestamp='1395172564' post='8899047']
I do like variety as well, but to cure that itch we have another avenue here. The area has a PGA golf pass for $50 that has courses in a 3 state area that offer deep discounts, and most are just pay cart fee for a free round. I do like variety and it would take a pretty decent course to make me ponder joining. I see no problem getting more than my monies worth out of the membership, unless of course a Hail Mary happens and my business blows up.
[/quote]

Mix the tees up once in a while and playing with different people can also change it up as well. Go for it

Not sure what your business is but could it benefit from local contacts made at the course? Or at least open you the business community?
Back to Golf: Agree with prior comments about flexibility. Play 9. Or 6. Or 3. Whatever time/business allows. It's all good. Change tees to present different situations. Experiment with clubs you might not choose if you were paying big $. Great opportunity to try
stuff out on the cheap. At my Muni the shoulder season is relatively empty (Northeast) so I can skip around out of sequence, play two balls, etc… There's value in that. I say do it. It's one season. Not a lifetime.

Don't underestimate the value of free range balls. When you pay-go it isn't easy to justify the expense of hitting two large buckets a week with just your wedges like anyone who wants to improve should but few actually do. Most people hit a large bucket a week spread out evenly across their whole bag if even that to save money.

[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1395182276' post='8900121']
[quote name='EJ Mac' timestamp='1395172564' post='8899047']
[/quote]

Mix the tees up once in a while and playing with different people can also change it up as well. Go for it
[/quote]I had already planned on doing that as well. It is definitely a good way to mix things up and heaven knows I need all the help I can get all the way through the bag. This is something I always wanted to try but had never gotten around to it.

34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

[quote name='CRider' timestamp='1395183557' post='8900277']
Not sure what your business is but could it benefit from local contacts made at the course? Or at least open you the business community?
Back to Golf: Agree with prior comments about flexibility. Play 9. Or 6. Or 3. Whatever time/business allows. It's all good. Change tees to present different situations. Experiment with clubs you might not choose if you were paying big $. Great opportunity to try
stuff out on the cheap. At my Muni the shoulder season is relatively empty (Northeast) so I can skip around out of sequence, play two balls, etc… There's value in that. I say do it. It's one season. Not a lifetime.
[/quote]The only down side of networking right off the bat is one major competitor has an employee that I assume is a member since I have seen one of their trucks in the lot each time I have played there. I will just tread lightly to start out and feel out the situation. I plan to fully utilize any and all available free time there playing a variety of tees, number of holes, and most definitely experimenting through the bag and the stash pile at home lol.

34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

[quote name='Upgrayedd' timestamp='1395184187' post='8900325']
Don't underestimate the value of free range balls. When you pay-go it isn't easy to justify the expense of hitting two large buckets a week with just your wedges like anyone who wants to improve should but few actually do. Most people hit a large bucket a week spread out evenly across their whole bag if even that to save money.
[/quote]Most definitely will not look over the range access, not sure how long these minty Rac CB's will remain that way after this venture but hopefully that will be a good problem to have.

34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

I've been a member at a muni, private, and semi-private over the last 7-8 years. It's back to the muni for me. $500 for unlimited greens fees, with a good men's club that has choose ups every weekend. For me it's the idea of having a "home course" that is cost effective. This way if I play elsewhere, I don't feel like I'm wasting my membership.

[quote name='Upgrayedd' timestamp='1395170641' post='8898833']
Dang there are a lot of Okies on this board. :)

If you would have spent that much money playing at that course anyway go for it. How many rounds would you have to play to break even. Golfing more just to get your money's worth doesn't count. Ask yourself how many rounds would you honestly play at that course per year if you paid by the round.
[/quote]

Yep. Okie right here!!

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1395193950' post='8901507']
Where are you seeing $110 a month? Their rate page says $1850/year for an individual ($155/month).
[/quote]I talked to a guy in the pro shop that I played with a while back and he told be about the weekday membership which works perfect for me since I have a weekend job, hence the $110 per month. It is also upgradeable at anytime should I decide to add the weekends.

34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link