2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

LIVE UPDATES: The $5000 TaylorMade SLDR Guarantee Event! Before/After Results Added!

[quote name='the bandit' timestamp='1396815421' post='9032987']
Reading through 25+ pages is tough to do and I have read most but is anyone going to actually post a PDF of all the guys before and after results? Including what they were swinging and also including so dispersion if possible. I think that would be awesome to see and read
[/quote]

Yes.

;)

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396806045' post='9032279']
Evanseze, not a chance in the world did i think that I could ever produce spin numbers equal to my current set up if I went up in loft and to a lighter shaft, as both add spin and loft really does.

If you look at my numbers you will see equal spin and LA lower with a 12 degree head over a 9 degree head. Stat wise, these numbers are a bit confusing to the naked eye, because 8 out 10 times I would launch the SLDR higher then my R11s or vise versa, 9 out 10 times my highest launching R11s might be close to the SLDR, so I have no clue how the numbers turned up this way. Also, super surprised at the Decent Angle being that low as to my eye it was higher based on my past Trackman Fittings.

Like I mentioned above, self fitters will struggle because they are not thinking outside the box and instead trying to go with combos that have worked in the past. You cannot go this route. You need to "Loft Up" and look at "Shafting Down" (look at a higher LA then the Ahina) as a better starting point and not be pig headed about it like I was. Think about some of those past shaft that you liked but had to move away because of to much spin, but loved the feel. Put that into a 10.5 430 and test then maybe the 12 degree and see what happens.
[/quote]

TMBob,

I believe all 20 attendees were fitted into an aftermarket shafts. Did you (anybody on the trip) hit any balls with a stock shaft during the fitting process? If so, how were the numbers? If not, were the stock shafts even available?

Actually, I have PMs out on a similar question. I believe not one person tried the stock offerings other then in the Mini Driver and I also believe not one person showed up with a stock offering shaft. Again, once I get all the PM's I will be sharing everyone's vitals all on one page to help simplify everything which is so spread out at this point and time.

[quote name='sandiegonative' timestamp='1396819853' post='9033383']
Evanseze, not a chance in the world did i think that I could ever produce spin numbers equal to my current set up if I went up in loft and to a lighter shaft, as both add spin and loft really does.

If you look at my numbers you will see equal spin and LA lower with a 12 degree head over a 9 degree head. Stat wise, these numbers are a bit confusing to the naked eye, because 8 out 10 times I would launch the SLDR higher then my R11s or vise versa, 9 out 10 times my highest launching R11s might be close to the SLDR, so I have no clue how the numbers turned up this way. Also, super surprised at the Decent Angle being that low as to my eye it was higher based on my past Trackman Fittings.

Like I mentioned above, self fitters will struggle because they are not thinking outside the box and instead trying to go with combos that have worked in the past. You cannot go this route. You need to "Loft Up" and look at "Shafting Down" (look at a higher LA then the Ahina) as a better starting point and not be pig headed about it like I was. Think about some of those past shaft that you liked but had to move away because of to much spin, but loved the feel. Put that into a 10.5 430 and test then maybe the 12 degree and see what happens.
[/quote]

TMBob,

I believe all 20 attendees were fitted into an aftermarket shafts. Did you (anybody on the trip) hit any balls with a stock shaft during the fitting process? If so, how were the numbers? If not, were the stock shafts even available?
[/quote]

They were available when we did our fittings at The Kingdom. Not sure why they wouldn't have been

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1396820448' post='9033445'][quote name='sandiegonative' timestamp='1396819853' post='9033383']

[/quote]

TMBob,

[/quote]

They were available when we did our fittings at The Kingdom. Not sure why they wouldn't have been[/quote]

Don't think anyone there brought a stock shaft either. This is Golfwrx after all. We do not use stock shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

What is a stock shaft?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='kyle75' timestamp='1396812937' post='9032801']
Taylormade always rolls out the red carpet for GolfWrx events and this was no exception.
[/quote]

The trips are meant to do one thing and one thing only.

Sell clubs. They are a marketing machine and very good at it.

I'm glad "I get it."

I will get review sometime tomorrow. The condo that I stayed in down at the Reynolds location had locked internet access, and my phone just won't cut it anymore. I need some time to rest my back and read all the pages of this thread. I will say that I was fitted for the setup I took down there, and was fitted into a custom shaft while there. I dropped close to 1000 in spin and picked up 20 yards carry with 27 in total.

I hit they lefty SLDR mini 14* with the stock tp x shaft and it was really spinny for me. Off the deck was much easier than you would think, it reminded me of hitting my old 14* ping rapture 3 wood a lot

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='sandiegonative' timestamp='1396803533' post='9032101']
[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1396785872' post='9030841']
I was properly fit at my home master fitter and he actually had as many if not more shafts to try than TM had. I was definitely put into a Callaway that was ideal for me. I gained only 9.8 yards average... That is the difference between 1 degree higher launch and 250 rpm less spin. The first 7-8 shafts i tried at the kingdom were no better than what I had (literally within .9 yards) until I found 2 that were a much much better fit in that head for me.

To summarize: I was properly fit into the Callaway with as many shaft options as you can imagine and the SLDR still beat it. I play to a +2 to +4 handicap and I am a club junkie and very particular about what my clubs need to do. Believe me I asked all the tough questions and got no smoke and mirror answers. Being the tinkerer that I am I will surely eventually get back on trackman and put them up to the test side by side once again and probably tweak the Callaway a hair. After yesterday though I can tell you the SLDR is easier to hit different shots with for me. Draws and leaking fades don't get away from me with SLDR at all.
[/quote]

Austin, first and foremost my apologies if I said anything to offend you. Like the other lucky bastards who went on trips before you, I am extremely happy for everyone here. I enjoy living vicariously through each and everyone of you. Second, you sir are an absolute BEAST. For you to be both a + 2 handicap and bomb 330+ yards drives is extremely impressive.

I digress... I believe being properly fit like you are, is the exception NOT the norm. I'll be the first to admit that right now, I too am not properly fit. I've been going off numbers from my previous fitting due the fact that I don't golf as much as I used to (wife and kids). I don't recall your actual numbers and distance gains so I'm going to use smp220 for my example (his write up is on this page making it easier). I would expect numbers like that of smp220 for those who have been properly fit.

He had "[color=#0000ff][i]virtually identical Average SS and Ball Speeds[/i][/color]". He gained his extra 11 yards by increasing launch by 1 degree (13 to 14) and reducing spin by 700 RPM (from 2500 to 1800). That too me makes perfect sense. He properly fitted gamer, PING G25 with Diamana B-Series 50x had allowed him to already MAX out both his SS and Ball Speed. The only thing remaining was finding the proper driver that would give him the best launch angle and spin. He found that with the SLDR.

For those who claim to have been properly fit and all the sudden see huge gains in SS and/or Ball Speed, I would question how well their previous fitting really was. I'm 34 going on 35. There is no way my "inner Barry Bonds" is going to appear and I'm going to gain an extra 7-10 MPH in SS (which might equate to 10.5 - 15 MPH in Ball Speed). In addition, as many have stated, the COR on drivers has been maxed out for years at 0.830. Therefore, there is no logically way for dramatic SS and/or Ball Speed increases unless someone was improperly fitted to begin with. Moving onto launch angle and spin. I think this is a personal preference kind of thing. Some like their ball low and running and other like it to fly high and land soft. Regardless of one's preference, I agree TM "holy grail" numbers of 17-1700 make senses if you are going for pure distance. I don't know if that changes due to conditions (into the wind or with the wind and soft, medium, or firm).

Dispersion/offline is extremely important too. I don't recall everyone's numbers but some had huge differences (-14 to -47) and others not so much (-1 to -3). How this is important FACT is omitted is beyond me.

Hope that all makes sense. I'm truly happy for all you guys and look forward to picking your brain as you get more time with your new SLDR Drivers.
[/quote]

Seriously man....just relax. Let the thread be about the people who went on the trip and what they experienced and them telling about it....no need to continue to bog it down.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Custom Lajosi DD201

WITB

[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1396821570' post='9033565']
Taylormade always rolls out the red carpet for GolfWrx events and this was no exception.
[/quote]

I'm glad "I get it."
[/quote]

To me, already a huge TM guy, this was about much more then me selling their clubs for them since I already do this on a daily basis and not paid a cent to do so. True, that is the bottom line if one is only looking at this way, but me the trip provides members a chance to meet a face behind a screen name, to meet the TM Family and rub elbows with them and best if all, just be the golf geeks we all are in our own ways with each other.

Many events have come and gone and I have looked at those no differently after having now attended one.

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1396825654' post='9034073']
Seriously man....just relax. Let the thread be about the people who went on the trip and what they experienced and them telling about it....no need to continue to bog it down.
[/quote]

I don't know what your issue is but all I'm doing is asking questions. TM choose you all out of the pool of "doubters". So, as a doubter I'm stating my opinion and asking for responses from those who attended. Is that not what this is about?

[quote name='sandiegonative' timestamp='1396826267' post='9034169']
[/quote]

I don't know what your issue is but all I'm doing is asking questions. TM choose you all out of the pool of "doubters". So, as a doubter I'm stating my opinion and asking for responses from those who attended. Is that not what this is about?
[/quote]

A classic case of too much time on your hands and not enough friends.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[/quote]

[/quote]

I dont have an issue at all. I had a great time on the trip and really enjoyed the opportunity...but even while we were on it people were reading your posts and it was a bit much. Its just about what you have been doing through this whole thread and taking it a bit too seriously......just relax, and be easy about it.

Feel free to ask questions about things, but you are over thinking this a bit.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Custom Lajosi DD201

WITB

While being fit, did TM move the slider weight on anyone's driver?

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1396827011' post='9034303']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I dont have an issue at all. I had a great time on the trip and really enjoyed the opportunity...but even while we were on it people were reading your posts and it was a bit much. Its just about what you have been doing through this whole thread man......just relax, and be easy about it.
[/quote]

That's unfortunate that someone like sandiegonative can negatively impact WRX members who are actually ON LOCATION trying to have a once in a lifetime experience. This guy has been blatantly trolling many members, and it's unfortunate that some members have literally nothing else to do than to bait others. I personally think this has been one of the best and most interesting threads on WRX in a long time.

Might be time for sandiegonative to have a warm bottle of milk and a nap :ban:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396826043' post='9034131']
[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1396821570' post='9033565']
[/quote]

I'm glad "I get it."
[/quote]

To me, already a huge TM guy, this was about much more then me selling their clubs for them since I already do this on a daily basis and not paid a cent to do so. True, that is the bottom line if one is only looking at this way, but me the trip provides members a chance to meet a face behind a screen name, to meet the TM Family and rub elbows with them and best if all, just be the golf geeks we all are in our own ways with each other.

Many events have come and gone and I have looked at those no differently after having now attended one.
[/quote]

Ok the way I look at this is IF TM did this as a way to sell more SLDR's it didn't quite hit the mark for me at least. It did show us that the SLDR can be a beast. The Tmag boys proved that big time, but at what cost? The cost of everyone's SLDR at retail would be big $$$$$ plus the fitting. My 913 has an aftermarket shaft but its a no upcharge option and its a beast for me.

So I would rather look at this like TM Bob said above. TMAG promised distance gains and they came through in spades. 20 WRX'rs got an experience of a lifetime and even a little more swag than expected and of course all the new friendships gained. All that is worth way more than a marketing trip to me. You lucky SOB's I'd have JUMPED at the chance just like you all. Good on all of you for what it was.

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1396827124' post='9034321']
[/quote]

Mine wasnt moved at all, which kind of surprised me because I usually would benefit from a draw setting. But I do know a couple in the Sawgrass group and they can speak more exactly on it when they pop in here, were moved a bit.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Custom Lajosi DD201

WITB

[/quote]

Again, I am working in something that will answer so many of these questions....I hope to get it approved shortly and post it in due time. I think the members and TM will find it very interesting to say the least.

Mine was moved into the Fade position.

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1396827247' post='9034341']
That's unfortunate that someone like sandiegonative can negatively impact WRX members who are actually ON LOCATION trying to have a once in a lifetime experience. This guy has been blatantly trolling many members, and it's unfortunate that some members have literally nothing else to do than to bait others. I personally think this has been one of the best and most interesting threads on WRX in a long time.

Might be time for sandiegonative to have a warm bottle of milk and a nap :ban:
[/quote]

He's asking legitimate questions and getting attacked for it.

As I assumed, this has once again turned into a "let's be bought off by an OEM thread." Let's be impressed by how much money has been dropped rather than look at the truth of the claims made. This was a "challenge" by TM so I have no patience with people saying, "let these guys enjoy their day in the sun."

I was picked for this trip (because I'm a SLDR doubter) but couldn't go because I have a demanding job and I'm a single father of a 10 year old. I'd probably be singing another tune if I too was bought off by TM. I'm actually glad I didn't go because I can afford to buy my own gear and I know every club in my bag is what I want rather than what I was given for free.

You can carry on now.

BTW - I play a TM R1 driver with a "stock" shaft. So I must be a low life.

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396827641' post='9034403']
[/quote]

Again, I am working in something that will answer so many of these questions....I hope to get it approved shortly and post it in due time. I think the members and TM will find it very interesting to say the least.

Mine was moved into the Fade position.
[/quote]

Can't wait, sounds tasty!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm not sure about everyone else, but not once were we referred to as being skeptics of this driver by anybody associated with Taylormade. We were only introduced as a group of golf bloggers/ contributors to GolfWRX. I believe that everybody at Reynolds treated us just like every previous trip, with respect and hospitality.

Just wait until I do my review, I was chosen as a hater and will give an honest review good or bad. It really is up to you to make your own decision. Those gains for me were legit. I can't tell you for sure if this will stay in the bag, that will take a few weeks of course time to figure out if the misses are something that I can live with.

Thanks for the responses. I haven't seen TM do much marketing of the sliding weight since they moved into Loft Up. Part of what's frustrating about these trip threads is that their potential for discussion is never realized. I'm looking forward to reading more detailed reviews and analysis by those who went.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='Doc420' timestamp='1396828848' post='9034543']
I'm not sure about everyone else, but not once were we referred to as being skeptics of this driver by anybody associated with Taylormade. We were only introduced as a group of golf bloggers/ contributors to GolfWRX. I believe that everybody at Reynolds treated us just like every previous trip, with respect and hospitality.
[/quote]

Unbelievable hosts and people.....TM was amazing to us and treated us so well.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Custom Lajosi DD201

WITB

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1396828490' post='9034499']
This was a "challenge" by TM so I have no patience with people saying, "let these guys enjoy their day in the sun."

I was picked for this trip (because I'm a SLDR doubter) but couldn't go because I have a demanding job and I'm a single father of a 10 year old. I'd probably be singing another tune if I too was bought off by TM. I'm actually glad I didn't go because I can afford to buy my own gear and I know every club in my bag is what I want rather than what I was given for free.

BTW - I play a TM R1 driver with a "stock" shaft. So I must be a low life.
[/quote]

No need to come off so offended.. this is still the internet at the end of the day, btw.

So you got picked but couldn't go, and now you're upset when you hear people saying that those attending should take the time to fully enjoy the trip? That's kind of a spiteful attitude, in my opinion. This was a "challenge" for those 20 people, not for you and I. We don't have a role in this play; as the audience, we get to just sit back and wait for the show (the write ups). But yeah, let me know if you need a hand getting down from your horse. /jokes

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396764877' post='9030395']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1396763702' post='9030365']
I know a few guys prior to the trip were concerned with the upright lie angle. Was this ever addressed?
[/quote]

SS, I did ask Tim Huet about this and to be honest I cannot really remember his answer! Ha! Tim is THE MAN at the Kingdom and we had just been called into his office and I guess my mind was wondering a bit. He did mention that a fitter will go to a slightly softer tip shaft or less flex if he can in order to get the toe to droop more at impact.

Sorry that I could not help you out with a better answer. I did ask BB if there was a sleeve that would provide the lowest lie angle and he told me that the 2 Degree tour version would be the one, but that would only help by about 1/2 degree.
[/quote]

Anyone that is worried about lie angle on the driver, just go to the SLDR 430 head. They are made at 55* lie angle...

New Bag in the making...