2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bubba's behavior, DISSAPOINTING

[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1401510191' post='9400995']
Professional athletes do not owe their fans anything. Period. They are paid to play a sport, not be a role model.
[/quote]

No need to make the argument more complex by including philosophy. This is what happened:

Bubba - "Well I could sign this autograph and make this kid happy, or not. I am going with not."

We don't need to consider anything more beyond face value here. It was a dick move, pure and simple.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='sman' timestamp='1401510690' post='9401035'][quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1401510191' post='9400995']
Professional athletes do not owe their fans anything. Period. They are paid to play a sport, not be a role model.
[/quote]

REALLY?? They are where they are through hard work and dedication, no doubt about it. BUT, they have what they have and live they way they live because of the love of their fans. They get the endorsements through popularity which derives from their fan base, so they owe ALOT to their fans, period...[/quote]

Nope. They owe everything to their own talent and their sponsors. They owe the fans not a single autograph, not a single wave or smile. Your entire thread is nothing more than an irrational diatribe against a pro golfer.

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1401510779' post='9401041'][quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1401510191' post='9400995']
[/quote]

No need to make the argument more complex by including philosophy. This is what happened:

Bubba - "Well I could sign this autograph and make this kid happy, or not. I am going with not."

We don't need to consider anything more beyond face value here. It was a dick move, pure and simple.[/quote]

You do not know that is what happened. You are basing your opinion on a biased observer who may or may not have a personal grudge against the athlete. Bubba does not owe a single person an autograph. He is not obligated to give anybody an autograph.

[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1401510795' post='9401043']
[quote name='sman' timestamp='1401510690' post='9401035'][quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1401510191' post='9400995']
[/quote]

REALLY?? They are where they are through hard work and dedication, no doubt about it. BUT, they have what they have and live they way they live because of the love of their fans. They get the endorsements through popularity which derives from their fan base, so they owe ALOT to their fans, period...[/quote]

Nope. They owe everything to their own talent and their sponsors. They owe the fans not a single autograph, not a single wave or smile. Your entire thread is nothing more than an irrational diatribe against a pro golfer.
[/quote]

And their sponsors decide how much to pay their athletes based on revenue they can bring in through his/her fan base.

[quote name='sman' timestamp='1401510976' post='9401053'][quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1401510795' post='9401043']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm going to go ahead and say that you have a personal vendetta against bubba. I am willing to bet you made this entire thing up for attention. See, I can defame you just as well as you did a professional athlete.
And their sponsors decide how much to pay their athletes based on revenue they can bring in through his/her fan base.[/quote]

[quote name='sman' timestamp='1401510976' post='9401053']
[/quote]

[/quote]

And their sponsors decide how much to pay their athletes based on revenue they can bring in through his/her fan base.
[/quote]

Also, don't call me a liar. I have made it perfectly clear that I have enjoyed watching Bubba for a very long time and remember how moved I was after his 2nd Masters victory holding his son. I had NO grudges against him at any time prior to this incident.

They may not owe anyone anything. But people, not just athletes or celebrities, but all people, are mainly judged by how they treat their fellow man. And there is plenty of evidence that Bubba acts like a dick. A lot. It's okay to point out poor behavior. Spouting some Nike written drivel they put over on the public to sell shoes doesn't change the fact that being a dick is really kind of dickish.

[quote name='sman' timestamp='1401511184' post='9401067'][quote name='sman' timestamp='1401510976' post='9401053']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm calling your representation of the events as inconsistent with reality. Take that as you will. You sound like nothing more than a vindictive person attacking a professional athlete for no reason. Again, athletes owe fans absolutely nothing other than their effort in their chosen sport.

[/quote]

Also, don't call me a liar. I have made it perfectly clear that I have enjoyed watching Bubba for a very long time and remember how moved I was after his 2nd Masters victory holding his son. I had NO grudges against him at any time prior to this incident.[/quote]

[quote name='sman' timestamp='1401510690' post='9401035']
REALLY?? They are where they are through hard work and dedication, no doubt about it. BUT, they have what they have and live they way they live because of the love of their fans. They get the endorsements through popularity which derives from their fan base, so they owe ALOT to their fans, period...
[/quote]

No they don't.

This isn't a middle-school popularity contest whereby the endorsements go to Jimmy and Jane because the rest of their classmates voted for them.

Endorsements are a method to sell product, handed out by companies. Not fans.

If you're an elite athlete you're presumed to get a good amount of TV time.

TV time = eyeballs and eyeballs = Revenue.

[quote name='sman' timestamp='1401510976' post='9401053']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And if Bubba wants to potentially damage his own reputation/fan base/endorsement money, whats wrong with that? Let him screw up whatever he wants in his life.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1401510890' post='9401049']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1401510779' post='9401041'][quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1401510191' post='9400995']
[/quote]

We don't need to consider anything more beyond face value here. It was a dick move, pure and simple.[/quote]

You do not know that is what happened. You are basing your opinion on a biased observer who may or may not have a personal grudge against the athlete. Bubba does not owe a single person an autograph. He is not obligated to give anybody an autograph.
[/quote]

Well, feel free to go back and imagine I wrote "If true, then..." in my first post in this thread, if that makes you feel better. I think a personal grudge is a bit of a stretch. lol

Again, you are speaking towards some legal or contractual obligation and not really understanding where most of the responses in this thread are coming from. No one here is saying he had some kind of obligation to do it. Many (including me) are of the opinion it would have been a simple and kind thing to do, and there is no apparent reason not to do it, other than trying to be a jerk to a little kid. For someone taking such a callous stance, I am surprised this topic motivated a response from you at all.

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='PGArox' timestamp='1401511601' post='9401093']
[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1401507081' post='9400749']
There has never been a bad enough day on the golf course to justify being unkind to a child.
[/quote]

I agree. And especially to a little cutie pie.

I hate to read these kinds of things about Bubba. I want to like the dude, but sometimes it's tough.
[/quote]

Still don't see how he was unkind to her... and I am about as softy of a dad as you will ever find.

Kids cry. Sometimes for no reason. We feel for them, console them, and help them move on. They can take it.

[quote name='PGArox' timestamp='1401511601' post='9401093']
[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1401507081' post='9400749']
There has never been a bad enough day on the golf course to justify being unkind to a child.
[/quote]

I agree. And especially to a little cutie pie.

I hate to read these kinds of things about Bubba. I want to like the dude, but sometimes it's tough.
[/quote]

Exactly. I can't say I have never got angry on the golf course. I want to root for him for everything he has been through with starting a family and his tough loss with his father, It was just tough to see him treat a little girl the way he did.

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1401511728' post='9401099']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, feel free to go back and imagine I wrote "If true, then..." in my first post in this thread, if that makes you feel better. I think a personal grudge is a bit of a stretch. lol

Again, you are speaking towards some legal or contractual obligation and not really understanding where most of the responses in this thread are coming from. No one here is saying he had some kind of obligation to do it. Many (including me) are of the opinion it would have been a simple and kind thing to do, and there is no apparent reason not to do it, other than trying to be a jerk to a little kid. For someone taking such a callous stance, I am surprised thi topic motivated a response from you at all.
[/quote]

The apparent reason he decided not to do it is [i]because he didn't feel like it[/i]. Lets not overanalyze and presume that his intent was to be a jerk to a kid.

I'll be honest. If I was that little kid, I'd cry too at my age. Well, maybe not cry, but I'd feel defeated for sure.

I remember at major during a practice round, G-Mac was signing some autographs. He stood and talked to me for over a minute, took a picture, and signed my ticket. My face must have been glowing for at least a week. Had a picture taken with Bill Haas an hour or so later. Looked over to the other tee box and watched Jason Day sign autographs for at least 25 minutes. Let some players go through while he was signing autographs. I was like a little kid in Disney World.

There's something powerful about a small act of kindness of friendliness from a superstar to a nobody. I'm a G-Mac, Bill Haas, and Jason Day fan for life.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1401510653' post='9401031']
[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1401510604' post='9401025'][quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1401510481' post='9401017']
[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1401510421' post='9401013'][quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1401510191' post='9400995']
[/quote]

Don't people get tired of spouting this tired cliche?[/quote]

It's not a cliche, it's the darn truth. Want a good role model for your kids? Then be one yourself.
[/quote]

I think the problem is that Bubba thinks he should be and is a role model. He doesn't even believe what you attributed.[/quote]

Can you quote a single article where he said he wants to be a role model for any children other than his son?
[/quote]

You're dead wrong.

Ask the PGA what they expect from their Tour Professionals.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1401512119' post='9401119']
So Bubba is an a hole and Woodland is a great guy on the course. The lesson here is Woodland needs to lose the nice guy persona if he wants to be a champion like Bubba.
[/quote]

The brilliance around this place amazes me.

This thread can't end well. Too many dumb comments.

IBTL <---5th time I've said this in a thread this week. 3 of them locked up already.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1401512452' post='9401135']
You're dead wrong.

Ask the PGA what they expect from their Tour Professionals.
[/quote]

What exactly is he wrong about?

He never said anything relative to what the PGA expects.

Moreover, a solid argument could be made that PGA expectations don't drive behavior.

[quote name='nohny noke' timestamp='1401512091' post='9401115']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1401511728' post='9401099']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Again, you are speaking towards some legal or contractual obligation and not really understanding where most of the responses in this thread are coming from. No one here is saying he had some kind of obligation to do it. Many (including me) are of the opinion it would have been a simple and kind thing to do, and there is no apparent reason not to do it, other than trying to be a jerk to a little kid. For someone taking such a callous stance, I am surprised thi topic motivated a response from you at all.
[/quote]

The apparent reason he decided not to do it is [i]because he didn't feel like it[/i]. Lets not overanalyze and presume that his intent was to be a jerk to a kid.
[/quote]

...which is socially unacceptable. There is nothing here to over analyze - the result just is what it is, no matter how it was intended.

Titleist ProV1x

It was socially unacceptable for him to turn down an autograph request with a direct and honest response? Yes, he could have been more tactful, but there is a big difference with how he supposedly responded and him outright yelling at a kid.

You are reaching here- considering you probably weren't at the event and aren't Bubba himself.

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1401512584' post='9401145']
[quote name='playa' timestamp='1401512119' post='9401119']
So Bubba is an a hole and Woodland is a great guy on the course. The lesson here is Woodland needs to lose the nice guy persona if he wants to be a champion like Bubba.
[/quote]

The brilliance around this place amazes me.

This thread can't end well. Too many dumb comments.

IBTL <---5th time I've said this in a thread this week. 3 of them locked up already.
[/quote]
Pontificate all you want, Bubba is a multiple major champion. I don't think he will or needs to go changing his personality cause the moral police get their panties in a bunch on an internet forum

[quote name='nohny noke' timestamp='1401513716' post='9401215']
It was socially unacceptable for him to turn down an autograph request with a direct and honest response? Yes, he could have been more tactful, but there is a big difference with how he supposedly responded and him outright yelling at a kid.

You are reaching here- considering you probably weren't at the event and aren't Bubba himself.
[/quote]

There is no reaching. It was a poor way to treat a kid. No amount of "do what you feel like" attitude changes that. And if you think not being at the tournament renders the discussion moot, why have you chosen to post so many times in this thread?

Titleist ProV1x

My only question is this: What exactly was Bubba trying to accomplish by refusing this little girls autograph?

Hey Bubba,

Little boys lead with their feelings, grown men lead with their mind. It's called self-control. And since you're getting paid it's also called being professional. And if the millions isn't getting through to your head, then it sounds like you're being overpaid. Go watch some old Arnie and try being likable for a change.

GI to Blades to SGI= Golf is now fun