Bubba's behavior, DISSAPOINTING

[quote name='tysonlb' timestamp='1401590960' post='9405185']
There is a nice area set up for autographs near the scoring room. Some players sign, others don't.

A buddy and I were sitting at the 11th green today, and Jason Allred, as he was walking to the 12th tee, high-fived all of the kids and gave them a "What's up, buddy?!," and so on. My friend and I exchanged sentiments that we would both be like that if we were pros.....

Having said that, they are working and deserve to be left alone on the course. No one bothers baseball players between innings for pictures or autographs. Same s***.
[/quote]

What about during a spring training game?? I don't think anyone expects autographs during a tournament round...so your analogy doesn't fit...

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I see parents pushing their little kids in front of someone with pen and paper in hand to grab a autograph, I have this impression of them hoping the person dies soon (the more violently, the better) so the value of the autograph rises on e-Bay.

Professional autograph hounds are like paparazzi - scum.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

There is a nice area set up for autographs near the scoring room. Some players sign, others don't.
[/quote]

Players don't go near the scoring room during practice rounds or the pro am. Like I said earlier, 98% of the players sign in between holes.

No one bothers baseball players between innings for pictures or autographs. Same s***.
[/quote]

Horrible comparison. No one bothers golfers between holes for pics or autographs during tournament rounds. Practice rounds and pro ams are not the same. It's laid back.

best thing to do with a tool like that is ignore him, don't acknowledge him. don't give him the opportunity to act like an a** towards you.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1401593416' post='9405405']
[/quote]

Players don't go near the scoring room during practice rounds or the pro am. Like I said earlier, 98% of the players sign in between holes.

No one bothers baseball players between innings for pictures or autographs. Same s***.
[/quote]

Horrible comparison. No one bothers golfers between holes for pics or autographs during tournament rounds. Practice rounds and pro ams are not the same. It's laid back.
[/quote]

MLB Players sign at batting practice before games all the time.

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1401592208' post='9405289']
Professional autograph hounds are like paparazzi - scum.
[/quote]

There aren't many at golf tournaments, but they stick out and players tend to avoid them. I saw Spieth tell a guy, who is the biggest name on eBay for selling PGA autographs, that he wasn't ever going to sign for him.

[quote name='MLeeJr' timestamp='1401593510' post='9405415']
[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1401593416' post='9405405']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

MLB Players sign at batting practice before games all the time.
[/quote]

I'm aware, but he said between innings.

[quote name='Titleist 670' timestamp='1401536743' post='9401699']
[quote name='Bellyhungry' timestamp='1401535095' post='9401637']
Perspective....

Bubba's action towards the little girl pale in comparison to how Rory treated another girl.
[/quote]

It's hard to speculate on exactly why Rory broke up with her. Rumors are he did it in a bad way, but I actually give him credit for ending things if he truly wasn't ready for marriage. It will benefit them both tremendously in the long run.

Do the people who go by the "everyone has a bad day" excuse for Bubba tip servers if they receive poor service, or care if someone they deal with in their professional lives is a jerk? Or do they just say "oh they're having a bad day" and move on?

Bubba seems like a very odd guy. Can't say his actions based on what the OP said are good.

On the other hand, having been to some events, I can see why some of these guys get incredibly jaded about signing autographs. For every kid who wants one, there is some slimy adult who just wants one to sell OR a parent sending their kid to get it to sell. It's such an odd subculture.

In this case though, sounds like he could have signed and just made the girl's day.
[/quote]
I absolutely understand why a touring pro wouldn't want to stand around for an hour after a round just so some grubby parent can make money from selling their autograph.

Just read an article of Bubba donating tens of thousands to his elementary school, middle school, and high school. Yea he is the worst! What if he signed that ONE autograph and told every other kid to beat it? He would have to sign an autograph for everyone who wanted one. A guy trying to get better at his profession. Wow what a phony!

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1401594373' post='9405467']
I absolutely understand why a touring pro wouldn't want to stand around for an hour after a round just so some grubby parent can make money from selling their autograph.
[/quote]

So you're going to assume everyone is going to sell it and that no one actually collects autographs?

He seems like a guy with a lot of heart, and he donates a lot of money to charities and such, but I've heard too many of these stories to not agree that his on course behavior kind of sucks. Yes, he's got ADD, but it sounds like he's way to sensitive about noises. I also get the counter argument, that it's impossible to please everyone, but he's got a reputation that he will have a hard time shaking.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

After a discussion with the wife regarding my suggestion of giving out fancy tees, she commented that some child could swallow or hurt himself with the tee. Legal action would be taken against the pro, a jury would probably award the child millions in damages. Especially to a guy disliked as much as Bubba.

I agree with other posters that who wants to try to please everyone can't. Therefore, the only solution is to outlaw giving autographs or stuff out during the tournament. Afterwards, if the pro wishes to interact with the public, he can do so. The fathers can tell their children it's against the rules to talk to the pros. No disappointment for the children. Gets rid of the autograph selling jerks, too.

I think noise and yelling should be outlawed also. Dress codes for spectators should be enacted. People who look like ladies and gentlemen act accordingly. (Just like in Augusta.)

I hate to think poorly of society, but things are out of control.

[quote name='sman' timestamp='1401503041' post='9400295']
Hello golfwrx community. As you can see I don't post much, if any, but I saw something this week at the Memorial Tournament that has caused me to voice my opinions. I was at the Pro-Am day at the Memorial Tournament here in Dublin, Ohio on Wednesday. It was a great day and all the players were VERY accomodating. I saw an unusual amount of elementary school children at the tournament, which was great, and seeing how the players interacted with them was very pleasing (especially Gary Woodland, he is now one of my new favorite players on the tour, GREAT GUY).

Anyways, back to the point (sorry I'm rambling), I saw something that I haven't been able to get out of my head and quite frankly bothers me a bit. A little girl, probably 7-8 years old, asked for Bubba Watson's autograph in between holes 1 and 2 (so he was not playing a hole and it was during a PRO AM) and he turned to the girl and said, " Not today, not the way I am playing." I looked back to see the girl holding her father with tears in her eyes. When he f=got to the tee box he took his usual waggles, stood over the ball and then stepped away. He then looked to his right and stared down a spectator who took a picture on silent. I was standing right there and I can tell you a pinecone falling from a tree made more sound. Bubba's stare made the entire gallery uncomfortable and confused. It's like we threw something during his swing or called his mother a horrible name. These actions angers me to the point I am spilling out my feelings to all of you.

In addition, during Fridays televised coverage I saw him turn to the crowd after sinking a 1-FOOT putt and said, " did you get enough pictures. I heard you take 2 pictures while I was standing over the ball. Keep Quiet." Jack Nicklaus even commented on his actions saying he wished players would be more appreciative of the gallery and the players should stay focused on golf. Now I would understand his frustration if it were a Sunday and he was standing over a 10 foot putt to win, but this literally was a 1-foot putt (NO MORE) and he flipped out.

i have officially lost all respect for Bubba, which is a shame because I do like watching him play, but after seeing first hand how he behaves and treats fans when cameras are/aren't on him is inexcusable.
[/quote]

Do 7 or 8 year old kids really want autographs? Why? Sounds like a parent put the kid up to this.

[quote name='Yuck' timestamp='1401621272' post='9406179']
Hello golfwrx community. As you can see I don't post much, if any, but I saw something this week at the Memorial Tournament that has caused me to voice my opinions. I was at the Pro-Am day at the Memorial Tournament here in Dublin, Ohio on Wednesday. It was a great day and all the players were VERY accomodating. I saw an unusual amount of elementary school children at the tournament, which was great, and seeing how the players interacted with them was very pleasing (especially Gary Woodland, he is now one of my new favorite players on the tour, GREAT GUY).

Anyways, back to the point (sorry I'm rambling), I saw something that I haven't been able to get out of my head and quite frankly bothers me a bit. A little girl, probably 7-8 years old, asked for Bubba Watson's autograph in between holes 1 and 2 (so he was not playing a hole and it was during a PRO AM) and he turned to the girl and said, " Not today, not the way I am playing." I looked back to see the girl holding her father with tears in her eyes. When he f=got to the tee box he took his usual waggles, stood over the ball and then stepped away. He then looked to his right and stared down a spectator who took a picture on silent. I was standing right there and I can tell you a pinecone falling from a tree made more sound. Bubba's stare made the entire gallery uncomfortable and confused. It's like we threw something during his swing or called his mother a horrible name. These actions angers me to the point I am spilling out my feelings to all of you.

In addition, during Fridays televised coverage I saw him turn to the crowd after sinking a 1-FOOT putt and said, " did you get enough pictures. I heard you take 2 pictures while I was standing over the ball. Keep Quiet." Jack Nicklaus even commented on his actions saying he wished players would be more appreciative of the gallery and the players should stay focused on golf. Now I would understand his frustration if it were a Sunday and he was standing over a 10 foot putt to win, but this literally was a 1-foot putt (NO MORE) and he flipped out.

i have officially lost all respect for Bubba, which is a shame because I do like watching him play, but after seeing first hand how he behaves and treats fans when cameras are/aren't on him is inexcusable.
[/quote]

Do 7 or 8 year old kids really want autographs? Why? Sounds like a parent put the kid up to this.
[/quote]

Why wouldn't a kid want an autograph from a pro golfer at a pro golf event?

Probably one of the coolest days I had as a kid was when my 9 year old Little League all star team got to meet some of the Red Sox players Pedro Martinez, Trot Nixon, and a couple others at a little charity event. I absolutely got all of their autographs and that ball was one of my favorite possessions growing up.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='lil_jinx13' timestamp='1401595102' post='9405525']
Just read an article of Bubba donating tens of thousands to his elementary school, middle school, and high school. Yea he is the worst! What if he signed that ONE autograph and told every other kid to beat it? He would have to sign an autograph for everyone who wanted one. A guy trying to get better at his profession. Wow what a phony!
[/quote]

Easy for some guys to give money, lots of reasons for charitable giving by rich people (and I'm all for it). Plenty of phonies give away millions of dollars, don't be naïve.

Not the same as knowing how to treat people right, having a true sense of responsibility.

More to respecting fans and being a good person than having a good cry and going on about "you" all the time whenever you have the pulpit, so to speak.

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1401622735' post='9406223']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Probably one of the coolest days I had as a kid was when my 9 year old Little League all star team got to meet some of the Red Sox players Pedro Martinez, Trot Nixon, and a couple others at a little charity event. I absolutely got all of their autographs and that ball was one of my favorite possessions growing up.
[/quote]

My daughter has Rory's autograph she got at the PGA a few years back. Means nothing to me. Means something to her, though, and she'll never sell the hat he signed. She wears it sometimes when playing golf.

[quote name='MLeeJr' timestamp='1401592895' post='9405353']
Bubba is the worst. Such a phony. At Drive Chip and Putt when all the cameras are on him he makes a point to put on a show and say hello to all the kids. It really looked so fake. He's had a lot of success recently as well --- maybe going to his head.

Jack doesn't seem to care for Bubba too much...
[/quote]

I'm glad someone said this. I have days where i like the guy and days where I don't. What rubs me the wrong way is how much he tells everyone what a great dad or Christian he is. I never meet a great dad or man that I thought was a great dad and had to have him tell me be was a great dad. You just knew based on his actions and how he carried himself. Bubba seems Bubba's his biggest fan ... I think there's a good guy in him, he just goes about it the wrong way and is wound way to tight. ... Having said that, I've never seen or meet the man an I'm talking so far out of turn its not funny. :)

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow I'm old ... I was expecting you to say Yaz, Rice, Boggs, Evans. :D

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1401625888' post='9406383']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow I'm old ... I was expecting you to say Yaz, Rice, Boggs, Evans. :D
[/quote]

I WISH I got to see them as a kid!! That would have been awesome, except for the whole ZERO world series wins :) I am only 23 so my idols were Nomar, Manny, and Big Papi.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Ok so people are selling autographs, how much do you think he's going to get for an autograph from Bubba compared to what that jerk makes off endorsements. If he doesn't want to sign autographs just ignore the fans and the fans will eventually ignore him. Now for Bubba to say not signing cause he was playing poorly in a Pro Am is being an jerk

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

[quote name='Parker0065' timestamp='1401561084' post='9403147']
I don't think Bubba neccesarily did anything wrong in this case but when 90-whatever-% of the Pro's are out there to enjoy the Pro Am and sign autographs it makes the very small percentage of Bubba's look like real s***-bags. Obviously he doesn't have a problem coming off like a s***-bag so he is who he is.

I'm not a fan personally and I wouldn't encourage my son to ever seek out his autograph. In fact maybe in this case you could blame the Father. It's well documented what a s***-bag Bubba is and he failed as a father in not educating his daughter on the fact! Shame on him!
[/quote]

We have finally found the fans of the fuchsia driver

[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1401503303' post='9400319']
I saw him verbally say something to two people in the gallery between 16 and 18 today. Bubba is easily distracted - even moreso this tournament - and he is letting everyone know about it. The TV guys even made mention of it. Yep he's different. Get the word out: don't take any pictures 5 seconds before and 2 seconds after Bubba hits a shot. Do players usually sign autographs between holes of a pro-am?
[/quote]

I was watching a Saturday round at Colonial several years ago and Davis Love III had just walked up on the tee. No one had teed a ball yet and they were just milling around waiting on the group ahead and he turns to a kid at the ropes and says" Hey, Where's your badge!" with the most serious look you've ever seen. An instant later he broke into a huge smile, pulled out a ball, signed it and gave it to the kid.

Class act!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize