2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bubba's behavior, DISSAPOINTING

Why's a 7 year old girl CRYING because she didn't get a GOLFER'S autograph?
Suspicious story.

My guess, is the little girl is a front. She's there to get autograph's that her dad can auction on ebay.
Her father probably puts a lot of pressure on her to WIN for him. When she LOSES, Daddy is displeased.
Or maybe, the tears were a con. Based on this narrative, Bubba walks by says no and this 7 or 8 year old immediately bursts into tears?

This story has a lot of holes. What exactly is the decibel reading of a pine cone falling from a tree? Is it falling onto the sidewalk? Or the hood of a parked car? Is it landing on grass or pine needles?
The entire gallery was confused? Were they wandering around? Was there disorientation? Or did they forget what golf was?

I call SHENIGANS on this entire thread.
OH and why isn't the way "we" (who is "we") act in victory more important than the way we act in defeat?
And since when do we measure a champion by "defeat"? Is Briny Baird then the greatest champion on the PGA Tour?
Just so much defeat in this thread.....

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='monkeynaut' timestamp='1401520728' post='9401407']
Why's a 7 year old girl CRYING because she didn't get a GOLFER'S autograph?
Suspicious story.

My guess, is the little girl is a front. She's there to get autograph's that her dad can auction on ebay.
Her father probably puts a lot of pressure on her to WIN for him. When she LOSES, Daddy is displeased.
Or maybe, the tears were a con. Based on this narrative, Bubba walks by says no and this 7 or 8 year old immediately bursts into tears?

This story has a lot of holes. What exactly is the decibel reading of a pine cone falling from a tree? Is it falling onto the sidewalk? Or the hood of a parked car? Is it landing on grass or pine needles?
The entire gallery was confused? Were they wandering around? Was there disorientation? Or did they forget what golf was?

I call SHENIGANS on this entire thread.
OH and why isn't the way "we" (who is "we") act in victory more important than the way we act in defeat?
And since when do we measure a champion by "defeat"? Is Briny Baird then the greatest champion on the PGA Tour?
Just so much defeat in this thread.....
[/quote]

Hi Bubba

He's an a**hole. It's just unfortunate that he's very good at what he does. The guy is an ignorant, selfish bastxxx!

Taylormade M1 8.5* w/ Tour AD-DI7 x flex
Taylormade SLDR tour spec 14* w/ Tour AD-DI7 x flex
Titleist 712u 2 + 4 iron w/ project X 6.5
Titleist 716 TMB 3 iron w/ x100
Titleist 716 MB 5-PW w/ x100
50* 54* SM5 chrome vokey both on F grind
Scotty Cameron California Coronado

Every time there is one of these threads, someone pops up with an unverified anecdote about the time they saw Arnold Palmer strangle a kid's kitten or when Rory McIlroy kicked a disabled person's crutch away.

Every player probably has days when they are gracious and days when they are in a mood.

But it seems that for some, the moody days are pretty common whereas for others they are pretty rare. It seems Bubba falls into the former category.

He has crafted this curious image of a big hitting God-fearing idiot savant. All seems a bit cynical to me, although at least one part seems accurate. He should pay more attention at the Bible classes he reportedly attends.

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

[quote name='nohny noke' timestamp='1401505144' post='9400545']
More power to him. He is under no obligation to behave in any way on or off the golf course.
[/quote]

Bubba is that you

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1401505972' post='9400631']
I went to the practice rounds at the Memorial this week. I get there early, watch them on the range, get autographs, and interact with the players I know that are approachable. On Tuesday, I got there and noticed Bubba out on the 10th tee early, just as the gates were opening. There was probably 5 people there and Bubba refused to sign any autographs for anyone, but did say he would sign after he played. When his round was over he did sign quite a few autographs for people, but he complained the entire time about how everyone was just going to sell it. After signing something he would say how much they would be able to get for it on eBay. He also refuses to sign the middle of Masters flags and intentionally will sign his autograph on the darkest area of an item so you can't really see his signature.

98% of the players are unbelievably great with the fans. They stop and sign autographs for anyone that asks for it and they will stop and take pictures as well. I heard the term "selfie" more than I wanted to this week. I followed Rory for about 8 holes and he signed for just about everyone and took countless pictures with people.
[/quote]

Wow really? Doesn't surprise me, but what an a**...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='Bellyhungry' timestamp='1401535095' post='9401637']
Perspective....

Bubba's action towards the little girl pale in comparison to how Rory treated another girl.
[/quote]

It's hard to speculate on exactly why Rory broke up with her. Rumors are he did it in a bad way, but I actually give him credit for ending things if he truly wasn't ready for marriage. It will benefit them both tremendously in the long run.

Do the people who go by the "everyone has a bad day" excuse for Bubba tip servers if they receive poor service, or care if someone they deal with in their professional lives is a jerk? Or do they just say "oh they're having a bad day" and move on?

Bubba seems like a very odd guy. Can't say his actions based on what the OP said are good.

On the other hand, having been to some events, I can see why some of these guys get incredibly jaded about signing autographs. For every kid who wants one, there is some slimy adult who just wants one to sell OR a parent sending their kid to get it to sell. It's such an odd subculture.

In this case though, sounds like he could have signed and just made the girl's day.

i'm sure part of bubba's attitude came from being tiger's practice partner years ago. starting practice at the crack of dawn and refusing autograph requests especially. it comes off as self-serving because at this point in his career, he really doesn't need to do those things. he doesn't have the massive throngs of people tiger has to contend with each tournament. god forbid if bubba ever did, he couldn't handle it. he's having a very difficult time with it now.

in contrast, there's adam scott, who i saw at the pro-am approaching 15 tee, his group behind, only had time for a couple of autographs and then hurried to the tee, but out of the corner of his eye a young girl appeared with a request, he took the time to go over and fulfill it.

[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1401536949' post='9401709']
Perspective....

Bubba's action towards the little girl pale in comparison to how Rory treated another girl.
[/quote]

Consenting superstar adults vs. squashing hopes of defenseless child? Apples and onions.
[/quote]

She will use this a motivation to become a female powersuit CEO of some multinational conglomerate, so that she might crush the hopes and dreams of wiry, hairy armed, duck footed up and coming golf pros. So really he did that girl a favor. Some lessons are tough. Get a helmet.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

As someone who was close to a popular pro athlete (who was in college at the time), I will say that this type of situation is often not as simple as these threads make it out to be. These are normal people who possess a skill set. There's no telling what may have led up to this; not to make excuses, but there very well could be a reasonable explanation besides "Bubba's a jerk". And I'm sure the fact that it was a 7 y/o girl with tears made the situation seem a lot worse than it probably was.

For my part, I'm always willing to give the athlete the benefit of the doubt in these situations, because I've seen the other side of it. Besides, no one can sign every autograph; someone's going to be told no. And I'm sure that the rejected fan's take on that would be way different than the athlete's.

[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1401536949' post='9401709']
Perspective....

[/quote]

Consenting superstar adults vs. squashing hopes of defenseless child? Apples and onions.
[/quote]

It is the 'HOW,' not the 'WHY.'

[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1401503303' post='9400319']
I saw him verbally say something to two people in the gallery between 16 and 18 today. Bubba is easily distracted - even moreso this tournament - and he is letting everyone know about it. The TV guys even made mention of it. Yep he's different. Get the word out: don't take any pictures 5 seconds before and 2 seconds after Bubba hits a shot. Do players usually sign autographs between holes of a pro-am?
[/quote]

I went to a practice day for the us open, a time when every golfer should be focused 100% on golf and the course, and to the last man, that I saw, they signed autographs. In fact boo weekly, signed all the way down one side and back up the other, the crowd have him an ovation after.

Most guys on tour get it, some don't. Everybody signs autographs, especially on pro am/practice days.

[quote name='mjtoal' timestamp='1401527235' post='9401515']
Every time there is one of these threads, someone pops up with an unverified anecdote about the time they saw Arnold Palmer strangle a kid's kitten or when Rory McIlroy kicked a disabled person's crutch away.

Every player probably has days when they are gracious and days when they are in a mood.

But it seems that for some, the moody days are pretty common whereas for others they are pretty rare. It seems Bubba falls into the former category.

He has crafted this curious image of a big hitting God-fearing idiot savant. All seems a bit cynical to me, although at least one part seems accurate. He should pay more attention at the Bible classes he reportedly attends.
[/quote]

I agree with this. I think if you take any isolated incident any player could look like a jerk to someone. There simply isn't enough time to sign every autograph or kiss every baby.

Stories about Bubba do seem to keep popping up, and the eyeball test of his behavior week in and week out seems to lend credence to the fact that he probably is not Ned Flanders

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I realize that no one, including Bubba, can respond to all the many requests they receive. If I were a pro golfer, I'd have some fancy tees made up by the tens of thousands, (Bubba and everyone else can afford them) and keep a bunch (thousand) in the bag. The caddy can monitor how many are needed. When kids come up, all he has to do is pull out a bunch, and tell the cutest kid to be his golf buddy, and distribute them to all the other kids around. Shake hands with the kid, and presto, instant hero.

Do this as a rule for children, adults optional. Would solve a lot of bad comments and hatred. No kid should be crying over behavior like Bubba's. Inexcusable.

My opinion.

[quote name='Bellyhungry' timestamp='1401538392' post='9401789'][quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1401536949' post='9401709']
Perspective....

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is the 'HOW,' not the 'WHY.'[/quote]
"Not today, not the way I'm playing."

Fact is, that little girl probably would have been in tears with just about any rejection; she was 7, and sounded nervous based on what the original poster said. But (without the benefit of the context of tone and body language) I don't have a problem with what he said.

[quote name='Cicero' timestamp='1401538931' post='9401813']
[quote name='Bellyhungry' timestamp='1401538392' post='9401789'][quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1401536949' post='9401709']
Perspective....

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is the 'HOW,' not the 'WHY.'[/quote]
"Not today, not the way I'm playing."

Fact is, that little girl probably would have been in tears with just about any rejection; she was 7, and sounded nervous based on what the original poster said. But (without the benefit of the context of tone and body language) I don't have a problem with what he said.
[/quote]

His quality of play in a pro-am affects his ability to interact like a responsible adult with a small child? The fact his statement is so lame just makes it worse.

If it were me and my daughter in that situation, I would have given Bubba a piece of my mind. What a d:ckhead.

How was it the little girl's fault that he was playing poorly? Bad karma Bubba.......what happened to "do unto others"?

The real question is - how would Bubba have reacted if he and his son were at an NBA event where there was fan/player interaction and Lebeon told his kid that? I bet he would go off.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='BMC' timestamp='1401538221' post='9401777']
Do NBA players sign autographs from the bench or during timeouts? NFL? Tennis players?
[/quote]

Do those sports have pro-ams with the purpose of having interaction with amateurs and fans?

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1401510421' post='9401013']
[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1401510191' post='9400995']
Professional athletes do not owe their fans anything. Period. They are paid to play a sport, not be a role model.
[/quote]

Don't people get tired of spouting this tired cliche?
[/quote]I'm not defending Chalk's comment and it may well be "tired," I guess that it depends which side of the table that you sit, however a cliche is nothing more than a statement of truth that has withstood the test of time.

False, innaccurate statements do not reach cliche status.

I happen to agree with Chalk's cliche, however I do not believe that an individual, be they athlete, entertainer or another in the public eye, should use it as a carte blanche pass to act/speak like an *ss.

Again, I'm by no means defending Bubba, because I don't know him, plus, I've gotta lot of glass in my house, so I'm selective who I "launch" at, lol.

Well, have a great season Musky :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24