2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

What's the club on the bottom left corner? The one above it, with the "button" higher up the back than the other irons, is the SW, right? 

Correct.
Also, maybe others can chime in,  from my research both the Button (pictured) and Bullet Back reissue versions (DG S300 shaft bands)  

have a slightly rounder leading edge on the soles for better turf interaction compared to the original late sixties early seventies models. 

Edited by Forged Hack
Typos
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Stephen8802 said:

Here is a post that will probably only appeal to @cold_war_era_golfer.

I just picked up this Wilson Delta putter, model number 8822. It's an aluminum head with a brass insert and probably the best design for aligning a ball I've ever seen. The Delta shaped brass insert gives a great visual. This club is all original, including the period leather grip with the correct Wilson flags end cap, which is in perfect shape. I like it much better than the contemporaneous Casper putter I have.

Overall, it is a surprisingly nice putter that rolls the ball very well. What's strange about this putter is that it is very short, measuring out at only 32 1/2 inches. I have to think this was a junior or ladies version. I have long monkey arms and like short putters, but 32 1/2 is a bit short for me. This shaft has an extension in its future, at least and inch, maybe 1 1/2 inches.

The putter is nice, but check out the perfect shaft band. This shaft is the best ever made, and with a little extension, will be just what I need when find a Designed by Cleveland Becu some day. Until then, even a little short, it joins the putter gang in my office and gets some rolls on the practice green.

IMG_9206.JPEG

IMG_9207.JPEG

IMG_9208.JPEG

IMG_9210.JPEG

IMG_9209.JPEG

Sounds like your office is where all the winter fun is!

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

On 1/24/2022 at 9:07 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Picked up this 1i to have some fun with. Shafted with a Dynamic R-flex. I measured the loft and lie after getting it, and it came in at 15* of loft and a lie of 55* ??????? 

Bent it to 17.5* and 62* (which is too much; I'll adjust it later, but I was in a hurry because my daughter was with me).

Now, how many people can I convince into thinking that the "TW" stands for "Tiger Woods".....🤣

453477000_RAMTWCustomGrind1i.jpg.b5ca070b4e9c4388a33db867387af1db.jpg839305617_RAMTWCustomGrind1iback.jpg.2a090cb079dbfa2c308a9c54d2ffb1fc.jpg2131564989_RAMTWCustomGrind1iface.jpg.2a5ae15955c97b166a8b30f44d1f7879.jpg2070044124_RAMTWCustomGrind1isole.jpg.016cb7c7aa7762b8b8fb4822060e2de5.jpg169781079_RAMTWCustomGrind1iaddress.jpg.bf986c771a1aa7203e9386720846b9b7.jpg

That's what I am talking about. I have to take my Seve Dunlop or Founders 200 series out for a rip next time I'm at the range. Was thinking of throwing an elongated Modus 120X into the Founders. It's in a Yamaha Pro 151 3 iron right now, but it measures the same... Wonder how that'd fly?

ALso, Picked up some TA Silver Scot 986 from our friend GolfKace last night. I will negotiate a safe delivery date after dinner tonight.

TW? Toru Watanabe?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

That's what I am talking about. I have to take my Seve Dunlop or Founders 200 series out for a rip next time I'm at the range. Was thinking of throwing an elongated Modus 120X into the Founders. It's in a Yamaha Pro 151 3 iron right now, but it measures the same... Wonder how that'd fly?

ALso, Picked up some TA Silver Scot 986 from our friend GolfKace last night. I will negotiate a safe delivery date after dinner tonight.

TW? Toru Watanabe?

Modus 120X would probably help get the ball up a little, but the 130s are probably even better for that. What've you in the Founders at the moment?

I haven't bought from GolfKace in months now, mainly because I'm trying to to buy more clubs. He consistently has some of the best prices, and I've come very close to buying various Mac custom blades etc.

For TW, I was going for Tomi Watason. It could *almost* be a Japanese name.

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Modus 120X would probably help get the ball up a little, but the 130s are probably even better for that. What've you in the Founders at the moment?

I haven't bought from GolfKace in months now, mainly because I'm trying to to buy more clubs. He consistently has some of the best prices, and I've come very close to buying various Mac custom blades etc.

For TW, I was going for Tomi Watason. It could *almost* be a Japanese name.

I have two sets of Founders with putrid True Temper R type shafts. Not even like Dynamics. The other set, the chrome has s300 - those are the one's I'm using right now. The one iron has that same tt r shaft. I hit it on the course a while back and it's pretty nice. Good for near 250 yards. I think it's like 16 degrees.

The Tommy Armours have s300. I was keeping an eye open for a set of them and it's a shaft that I know well and they were priced to sell. I've caught quite a few sets where i absolutely couldn't pass them up from that seller.

58 minutes ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

I have two sets of Founders with putrid True Temper R type shafts. Not even like Dynamics. The other set, the chrome has s300 - those are the one's I'm using right now. The one iron has that same tt r shaft. I hit it on the course a while back and it's pretty nice. Good for near 250 yards. I think it's like 16 degrees.

The Tommy Armours have s300. I was keeping an eye open for a set of them and it's a shaft that I know well and they were priced to sell. I've caught quite a few sets where i absolutely couldn't pass them up from that seller.

Priced to sell. That's a good way of describing his listings. Too good to pass up, and I know from experience. I have bought so much stuff from him over the years, all of it good compared to the price. Even now, with second hand prices going him, he is still reasonable, at least from what I've seen.

DGS300 is about right for me now. Wonder if those TT R shafts in the Founders are Jetstep (think that's the name). I got a set of Mizuno irons that had what I think were Jetstep. I swapped them out. Or you may have something like the TT-Lites in them. The Jetsteps had 1" steps, and IIRC look a little like NSPRO 950 shafts.

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Priced to sell. That's a good way of describing his listings. Too good to pass up, and I know from experience. I have bought so much stuff from him over the years, all of it good compared to the price. Even now, with second hand prices going him, he is still reasonable, at least from what I've seen.

DGS300 is about right for me now. Wonder if those TT R shafts in the Founders are Jetstep (think that's the name). I got a set of Mizuno irons that had what I think were Jetstep. I swapped them out. Or you may have something like the TT-Lites in them. The Jetsteps had 1" steps, and IIRC look a little like NSPRO 950 shafts.

Yeah the Dynamic and the Jetstep were polar opposite designs. Jetstep was tip soft which was a better fit for players wanting higher trajectory.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

TW? Toru Watanabe?

How does that GolfKace site work? Some of the stuff looks amazing. Do they ship outside of Japan?

3 hours ago, SteveNZ said:

How does that GolfKace site work? Some of the stuff looks amazing. Do they ship outside of Japan?

Yeah, they put all their stuff on Yahoo auction. You can use a third party to ship stuff. I'm not too familiar with those, but a quick google search should get you sorted. They do list some stuff on ebay too, but it is not really priced to sell. I think it's more of a headache for them, so you can pay a premium for that.

4 hours ago, Jiggered said:

A friend tipped me off about a set of one of my favourite irons, the Slazenger STM Tournament Model dating to 1956. 

The pictures were iffy but I went for them anyway and collected them today.

The set is 2-9 plus Double Duty wedge, condition is pretty good, they're very dusty but a quick wash of the 3 iron and it doesn't appear too worn, apart from where it looks as though a previous owner mistook a stone for a ball...

Original leather grips are not too bad but missing a few collars and butt caps. Also in the bag was a Ben Sayers Benny putter, two Wilson Sam Snead laminates, a couple of older UK woods and a Smakbak practice aid that looks like it's best days are already behind it....

The bag that they came in will need a whole new collar at the opening to make it useable, probably costing more than it's worth.

Overall though very happy with the buy.

No photo description available.No photo description available.May be an image of textMay be an image of text that says "S 3 iron"No photo description available.No photo description available.May be an image of handbag and saddle-stitched leather

Cool find Jiggered.  I really like the look of the STM's.  The fancy muscle weight design with simple unadorned stamping is a pleasing look to me.  The ferrules have a simplistic yet classy look as well with the narrow bands of color.  Another interesting whole bag acquisition - nice find!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jiggered said:

A friend tipped me off about a set of one of my favourite irons, the Slazenger STM Tournament Model dating to 1956. 

The pictures were iffy but I went for them anyway and collected them today.

The set is 2-9 plus Double Duty wedge, condition is pretty good, they're very dusty but a quick wash of the 3 iron and it doesn't appear too worn, apart from where it looks as though a previous owner mistook a stone for a ball...

Original leather grips are not too bad but missing a few collars and butt caps. Also in the bag was a Ben Sayers Benny putter, two Wilson Sam Snead laminates, a couple of older UK woods and a Smakbak practice aid that looks like it's best days are already behind it....

The bag that they came in will need a whole new collar at the opening to make it useable, probably costing more than it's worth.

Overall though very happy with the buy.

No photo description available.No photo description available.May be an image of textMay be an image of text that says "S 3 iron"No photo description available.No photo description available.May be an image of handbag and saddle-stitched leather

You are on a bit of a roll find wise at the moment! Turfriders and now these! Congratulations, excellent find! Love the wing backs.

The Smakbak brings back memories. Never had one or trusted one but that style of training aid was quite popular for a while. Folks smaking solid golf balls on a frayed piece of elasticated string in their back gardens. Must have done wonders for the glazing and dentistry industries!😁

• Haha 3

On 1/30/2022 at 4:22 PM, Forged Hack said:

Correct.
Also, maybe others can chime in,  from my research both the Button (pictured) and Bullet Back reissue versions (DG S300 shaft bands)  

have a slightly rounder leading edge on the soles for better turf interaction compared to the original late sixties early seventies models. 

And a Little, very little leading edge work, (straight, flat, and  pre-worn leading edge)  I have found to make these PERFECT, that and some lie angle work 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 7:00 AM, Newtown pippin said:

And a Little, very little leading edge work, (straight, flat, and  pre-worn leading edge)  I have found to make these PERFECT, that and some lie angle work 

Played with my new reissue Button Backs today, they are definitely easier going through the turf compared to my 84/88’ Line Over Wilsons. Just love them. X100’s too. Very tight flight dispersion.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ping_Enthusiast said:

Just snagged a set of these. Gorgeous set which are nearly unplayed 👍🏻

E13581D6-7462-4375-BEE1-B795430BBD7E.jpeg

3209E67E-46A0-4968-806D-07C01A2B070C.jpeg

F5403A93-E9F4-4FBD-9872-D32843A3BA58.jpeg

Maxfli made some quality stuff. i do not think they marketed it aggressively in the USA. But still they made some great equipment

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

9 minutes ago, raggal62 said:

Nice find!

I still bag a 1955 Tourney M55 5 wood that I installed a regular mens steel shaft into. And Catchy you are correct, they are ladies clubs. But I really like mine due to the compactness of the head.

The compact head was the reason I bought it. The Powerbilt it replaced was also compact, and I loved it.

I not sure what to make of the Propel 2-A shaft. I thought "2" denoted regular flex (and thus close to a modern Stiff flex), but I don't know what a "2-A" is. It doesn't feel particularly soft; I played a soft flex in my 3 and 5w persimmons when I was in my late teens, and I remember how soft they were. This Propel Action is nowhere near as soft as those.

Also, doesn't the plug on the sole suggest it's been reshafted? I was wondering if someone bought the club, realised it was a ladies' club, and reshafted it. But that was either done years ago, or more recently and the club restorer found an old shaft to put in it. 

So many questions, but what I do know is that it's going to be a good club to play.

1 hour ago, dcopp7 said:

Ping made laminates, not persimmons

And they were some hard laminates too and had a good sound when you pured one. But I could never get used to the hook faces or the general looks of them at address

1 hour ago, dcopp7 said:

Ping made laminates, not persimmons

Copy that.  Assumed as wood, they were persimmon.

They were fun today.  Got out and played my first 18 at the home course with them.  Front was rough figuring out how far everything went.  Back was much better.  45/38 for 83 total.  Two birdies, missed an eagle by inches.  Played the white tees @5750 yards where my normals are the yellow @ 6313 yards with last year's tech.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

On 2/13/2022 at 8:33 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I bought 5w to replace the Powerbilt 5w that cracked at a range recently. It's a Mac MT Tourney W55 with a Propel Action 2-A shaft, but other than that I have no idea about it. I think the W55 was kind of a ladies' model because the shaft is shorter (it's about 1/2" shorter than my cracked Powerbilt club), but it sits slightly open at address and feels beautiful, so I'm happy with it. Kind of toying with the idea of putting the Powerbilt C-flex shaft in it at some point in the future, but the Propel shaft seems fine for the time being. I think the grip is original, but it's too thin and slick for me, so I'm going to replace it.

1084448608_MacgregorMTTourneyW555wFace_2.jpg.dd5d1676eb69da5f559084e962f5e1cb.jpg1857335058_MacgregorMTTourneyW555waddress.jpg.1b4cf733e0222ea5e8c04c17a692b63c.jpg784274820_MacgregorMTTourneyW555wgrain.jpg.b38e297277d187f81bc84d4b014aa16c.jpg1955146214_MacgregorMTTourneyW555wsole.jpg.a79be156dab0805fba5ed0df1be22a4c.jpg1506028919_MacgregorMTTourneyW555wshaft.jpg.b597e8a74461b5bf8c86572513156d4b.jpg1533762847_MacgregorMTTourneyW555wgrip.jpg.621ca626b257a5e899d8319703e5ed06.jpg

I like that one Catchy not only is it a Macgregor but it is good sized and shaped and does not seem to have too much of a hook face.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Copy that.  Assumed as wood, they were persimmon.

They were fun today.  Got out and played my first 18 at the home course with them.  Front was rough figuring out how far everything went.  Back was much better.  45/38 for 83 total.  Two birdies, missed an eagle by inches.  Played the white tees @5750 yards where my normals are the yellow @ 6313 yards with last year's tech.

Well you did good IMHO with new to you equipment--- And basically I play the same yardage as you by moving up 1 set of tees when playing my persimmons. 7 shots improvement between the 9s that is pretty sporty

Welcome to the vintage group. From the tees you played, you will have no difficulty in scoring your usual. The Ping laminates are good players to get you started, you might want to look out for other woods as they are very reasonably priced.

Personally I get more satisfaction playing with a wood that is actually made out of wood. I think Stu and the other guys here feel the same.

The Ping Eye 2 irons on the other hand don’t suit me. I like the old blades, but that is me. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Well you did good IMHO with new to you equipment--- And basically I play the same yardage as you by moving up 1 set of tees when playing my persimmons. 7 shots improvement between the 9s that is pretty sporty

Heh, I was stone cold walking onto the first tee.  45 minutes from calling the course to arrival and its a 30 minute drive.  Never used the Ping putter in the bag prior to playing.  The rest of the clubs were used one time on the range.  

Lots of adapting and head scratching that first 9. lol

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball