2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

Any thoughts on Wilson X31 blades or Wilson Top Notch gooseneck irons?

Yes, I'm looking for a good set of the X-31's. PM me if you want to talk sell or trade. Thanks.

Tim,

The X-31 set I saw was only 2-8.

Titleist 910 10.5 - Tour AD DI-6S
TaylorMade V-Steel FW (15* & 18*)
Adams Pro Hybrid (20* & 23*)
Ben Hogan Apex Edge (5-PW)
Titleist Vokey SM (52* & 56*)
SC Studio Select Newport 1.5

Any thoughts on Wilson X31 blades or Wilson Top Notch gooseneck irons?

Yes, I'm looking for a good set of the X-31's. PM me if you want to talk sell or trade. Thanks.

Tim,

The X-31 set I saw was only 2-8.

Ok, thanks. I was interested because they are supposedly a broader based forged blade somewhat similar to the 85 Mizuno Cimarrons I play.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Where do you keep finding this stuff? Inquiring minds want to know!

Most of my finds have been from thrift shops. I guess I've just been fortunately and stopped in at the right time. I wished I would have appreciated golf and it's rich history much sooner. Truly humbled.

Most of my finds have been from thrift shops. I guess I've just been fortunately and stopped in at the right time. I wished I would have appreciated golf and it's rich history much sooner. Truly humbled.

Don't know what thrifts your frequenting, but all my usuals have nothing but skis and hockey sticks out. Nary a golf club to be found. You must be located in the warm weather part of the state. (A scrounger never reveals their haunts, especially to the competition.)

Better late than never for discovering the joys of classic clubs and the history behind them. I'm a late bloomer myself, finding this section of WRX simultaneously with thrifting a Ping 029 Anser. The rest is, as they say, history. The wealth of information contained within these chronicles, viewing all the marvelous clubs in everyone's inventory, finding them at ridiculously cheap prices, all very compelling. And I enjoy the hunt.

As I mentioned prior, this classic club stuff messes with your mind. One discovers that we can actually play pretty decently with this old stuff. Changes how one thinks about the modern bag. Least it did for me. Playing blades was not even part of my golf consciousness three seasons ago. Now, when I bring out the Pings, well, they don't "feel" the same. And do not see a whole lot of difference when playing "score". But I'm just an average golfer who would rather play clubs (a variety) that no one else on the course is playing on a given day. Certain inner satisfaction (smugness?) when you stroll up to the first tee with a classic bag of Hogans (or older kits by many around here). Next to those playing the newest lime green XR Vapor Cell Slider thingys.

Nice Penna above. Have a TP 59 Driver, DG S400, original grip. Hit it twice, poorly both times. To much shaft for me. Being that it's near mint, don't want to muck it up. Have others that I can perform that task with. Will place it on the soon to be completed (when I get around to it) display rack. Don't normally subscribe to the "wall-hanger" theory (NTTAWWT), but this is one.

And I saw elsewhere (<).....V-steels really are the best metal fairways evah. Have a 3 & 5, looking for a 7 at some point. Put my prior G series to shame and to eBay. Marvelously easy to get up and away. Not really classic.....well sorta by equipment section standards.

Sorry about the long rambling post. It's early, it's January, and have nothing better to do for the moment.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Fella,

I am just an average golfer myself. Thanks for showing me the beauty of this thread. I went back and skimmed through the entire thread and there are some great acquisitions. There were two sets I bought from CL (Apex Plus and Bounce Soles). The rest were thrift finds. I would not consider anyone on this forum as competition but rather (as you mentioned) kindred spirits sharing in the history of golf.

Yes, I do have V-steel FW and they are awesome!

BTW, great looking TP 59 driver!!!

Today's find:

Ron Matusalem Rum golf bag $6

MacGregor tourney V-foil 50* wedge ($3). It's LH so my leftie buddy will be ecstatic.

DonP, nice pick and flip. Always a good thing to find an item (or two) to flip that fund future "escapades". Demonstrates being fiscally conservative, especially to the Mrs. when they start barking about the number of golf clubs around ye' old hacienda.

HH, really like that bag and the tastefully tacky logo'ing on it!! Perfect. Just right for holding some classic clubs when playing at Bushwood. What's the brand? One can never have to many bags, either for play or storage.

Excellent that one of your golf buds will appreciate your find......share the wealth, good karma and all that. One of my "usual suspects" buds is a lefty. Have, in the past, scrounged a couple of nice items that I thought he'd be interested in. However, he's the type that rarely changes his tools, for fear of "throwing off his game". Let alone using something old(er). He doesn't get it. No problem. I usually beat him.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Fella,

I have quite a few friends who are afraid of change also. Then there's the other group of friends that needs to buy everything new or upgrade frequently. Most of them don't appreciate the vintage classic clubs. It's their loss.

Regarding the bag, I can not for the life of me find the brand. I looked inside and out. It's strange...I did see an expired eBay listing that stated the same thing about the brand.

Don't know what thrifts your frequenting, but all my usuals have nothing but skis and hockey sticks out. Nary a golf club to be found. You must be located in the warm weather part of the state. (A scrounger never reveals their haunts, especially to the competition.)

Better late than never for discovering the joys of classic clubs and the history behind them. I'm a late bloomer myself, finding this section of WRX simultaneously with thrifting a Ping 029 Anser. The rest is, as they say, history. The wealth of information contained within these chronicles, viewing all the marvelous clubs in everyone's inventory, finding them at ridiculously cheap prices, all very compelling. And I enjoy the hunt.

As I mentioned prior, this classic club stuff messes with your mind. One discovers that we can actually play pretty decently with this old stuff. Changes how one thinks about the modern bag. Least it did for me. Playing blades was not even part of my golf consciousness three seasons ago. Now, when I bring out the Pings, well, they don't "feel" the same. And do not see a whole lot of difference when playing "score". But I'm just an average golfer who would rather play clubs (a variety) that no one else on the course is playing on a given day. Certain inner satisfaction (smugness?) when you stroll up to the first tee with a classic bag of Hogans (or older kits by many around here). Next to those playing the newest lime green XR Vapor Cell Slider thingys.

Nice Penna above. Have a TP 59 Driver, DG S400, original grip. Hit it twice, poorly both times. To much shaft for me. Being that it's near mint, don't want to muck it up. Have others that I can perform that task with. Will place it on the soon to be completed (when I get around to it) display rack. Don't normally subscribe to the "wall-hanger" theory (NTTAWWT), but this is one.

And I saw elsewhere (<).....V-steels really are the best metal fairways evah. Have a 3 & 5, looking for a 7 at some point. Put my prior G series to shame and to eBay. Marvelously easy to get up and away. Not really classic.....well sorta by equipment section standards.

Sorry about the long rambling post. It's early, it's January, and have nothing better to do for the moment.

Nice Penna mine is also a Model 59 but custom Made... V-Steels you say ? I love them just look at my signature. I have a 7 & 9 . Classic for metal woods they have a cult following. I had a TM rep tell me a few years ago that you would be surprised as to how many V-Steel fairway metals are STILL on the tour especially the Champion's Tour

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Today's find:

Ron Matusalem Rum golf bag $6

MacGregor tourney V-foil 50* wedge ($3). It's LH so my leftie buddy will be ecstatic.

Cool bag and I would bought that wedge for $3 even if it is turned bassackwards just because---- It is a Macgregor! IMHO $9 well spent

Scored my first Toney Penna club for $3!!! Feeling excited.

Another good and wise purchase--- LOL I see where someone in the past may have tried to take the weight port screw loose

Good haul today.

-Bennington golf bag (leather is super soft)

-Toney Penna TP201 driver

-Toney Penna Mod 65 (1,2,3,4) persimmon

-Ben Hogan Apex Grind (2&3 iron)

Bonus Titleist BV 258-08 wedge.

And as it turns out it wasn't a new design. Northwestern made a forged iron in the 1960s called the Slipstream that had the hosel sticking into the face in the same manner. I saw one in a thrift the other day. I should have bought it for my collection of oddities.

And here it is!

Not quite as extreme as the VAS, but a similar idea.

Funny that Byron Nelson was in the advertising for the VAS, and here is his name again on this club.

Poor Byron.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

At the range and found a LH 60* Macgregor V-Foil to go along with the 56* from my previous find. The attendant said I could swap out any club if I brought another one. I also found a Hogan Radial 8 iron. It's like butter when you hit it.

I've admitted to having had a soft spot for the radials before. Have got that unconventional beauty thing going on.

Not flat out ugly like the Zings or those Clevelands. You'd need a skinful to go for those. Radials are more in the four to five pint range.

Oi, that's my bird you're talking about LOL ... or one of them anyway :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Nice little haul from collector in LA, 150 hickories, 20 sets iron sets of Hogans, macgregors, Spalding Customs. About 300 persimmons, 60 fancy face, 70 Ping Eye 2 woods, lots of putters, one irons , wedges, was pretty picky form what he had, no junk other than things he just gave me to get rid of, Hogan iron and Macgregor iron sets that I can use the shafts.

Kirasdad was there for awhile, was amazed with his ability to walk away not buying one club, and seller gave him a set of radials because he bought a club from him 25 years ago!!

Gobsmacked! I'll make my pitch for a Golden Ram Axial Tour Grind 6 iron if one happens to be in that stash.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Holly s***!!! :swoon:

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Tim, you were already my hero long before this score. Only 20 sets of Hogans, though?

And an admirable show of will power, John!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

And an admirable show of will power, John!

Sometimes choice is the most effective deterrent due to paralysis by analysis. I know that I wouldn't know what to do when faced with a load like that. Unless I was looking for something specific, I think that the sheer volume of clubs to sort through would be enough of a discouragement to make the average person take a pass.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Looked at the clubs fairly quickly when I pulled them out of his storage, just looked at soleplates and crown, real dirty moldy.

Was very pleased when I took my time to unload and separate.'

Probably biggest surprise was a Mac Toney Penna LFF 106T, needs complete restoration but will be worth it

Quite a few sets of fancy faces

Need to do some research on a Mac Tommy Armour LH set, cannot read stamping but have 4 screw insert like a 693, Rex, did they make a lh 693?? Need to clean them good to see stamping.

Also a set of Will Sime lh persimmon 1,2,3,4 with oil hardened stamped on sole, I think Simes might have been the first oil hardened??/

And yes the Wood Bros is unhit, NOS, mint