2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

Looked at the clubs fairly quickly when I pulled them out of his storage, just looked at soleplates and crown, real dirty moldy.

Was very pleased when I took my time to unload and separate.'

Probably biggest surprise was a Mac Toney Penna LFF 106T, needs complete restoration but will be worth it

Quite a few sets of fancy faces

Need to do some research on a Mac Tommy Armour LH set, cannot read stamping but have 4 screw insert like a 693, Rex, did they make a lh 693?? Need to clean them good to see stamping.

Also a set of Will Sime lh persimmon 1,2,3,4 with oil hardened stamped on sole, I think Simes might have been the first oil hardened??/

And yes the Wood Bros is unhit, NOS, mint

Was able to look at the lh Armour and unbelievably there is a light stamping of 693 on toe of 3&4 wood, what is strange is the soleplates say Macgregor but not tourney, I thought they would be 653 but the number 9 is strong

I have several to report and will get pics up as soon as possible. 1-3 Walter Hagen Ben Crenshaw persimmon with graphite shafts, 1-3-5 set of Toney Penna's, a Duck's Unlimited persimmon driver by Auld Golf and a "Plop" putter.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Thor's hammer, that's a lot of clubs! Or, to put it another way, and definitley how it would be described round here, "grounds for divorce".

Then imagine losing half of it in the settlement.

Actually my wife was with me on trip, very supportive, she loves when I say, honey, look what I found!! and I only paid...

99 % of what I acquire I sell ,so she likey

Looked at the clubs fairly quickly when I pulled them out of his storage, just looked at soleplates and crown, real dirty moldy.

Probably biggest surprise was a Mac Toney Penna LFF 106T, needs complete restoration but will be worth it

Need to do some research on a Mac Tommy Armour LH set, cannot read stamping but have 4 screw insert like a 693, Rex, did they make a lh 693?? Need to clean them good to see stamping.

Also a set of Will Sime lh persimmon 1,2,3,4 with oil hardened stamped on sole, I think Simes might have been the first oil hardened??/

Was able to look at the lh Armour and unbelievably there is a light stamping of 693 on toe of 3&4 wood, what is strange is the soleplates say Macgregor but not tourney, I thought they would be 653 but the number 9 is strong

Any chance of some pictures of the lefty 693s Tim?

Nice little haul from collector in LA, 150 hickories, 20 sets iron sets of Hogans, macgregors, Spalding Customs. About 300 persimmons, 60 fancy face, 70 Ping Eye 2 woods, lots of putters, one irons , wedges, was pretty picky form what he had, no junk other than things he just gave me to get rid of, Hogan iron and Macgregor iron sets that I can use the shafts.

Kirasdad was there for awhile, was amazed with his ability to walk away not buying one club, and seller gave him a set of radials because he bought a club from him 25 years ago!!

That right there is a dream come true! Update us on which Hogans you got... And any other great irons!

Thor's hammer, that's a lot of clubs! Or, to put it another way, and definitley how it would be described round here, "grounds for divorce".

Actually my wife was with me on trip, very supportive, she loves when I say, honey, look what I found!! and I only paid...

Bless her heart. Afraid my Beloved wouldn't have had the same attitude. More like......"Are You Crazy!!"

Since you mentioned that you sell 99% of acquisitions (don't really believe that, I've seen to many pics of your stash), add me to the growing list of those that have interest in things as they unfold. Particularly as you delve into the Hogan irons.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Bless her heart. Afraid my Beloved wouldn't have had the same attitude. More like......"Are You Crazy!!"

Since you mentioned that you sell 99% of acquisitions (don't really believe that, I've seen to many pics of your stash), add me to the growing list of those that have interest in things as they unfold. Particularly as you delve into the Hogan irons.

same here Teevons...are you on ebay would love to check out your stuff

Teevons...your haul was amazing. Makes me not want to post my findings anymore. Lol

Please let me know what you have in the Hogans once you go through everything.

Titleist 910 10.5 - Tour AD DI-6S
TaylorMade V-Steel FW (15* & 18*)
Adams Pro Hybrid (20* & 23*)
Ben Hogan Apex Edge (5-PW)
Titleist Vokey SM (52* & 56*)
SC Studio Select Newport 1.5

I might put some of the Hogans on bst here on wrx

pm me if you are looking for a particular model, some sets I acquired were 61 power thrust, Personal model, PC, Apex II, EDge CFT, EDge Pro Edge, PC, 1958-59,Macgregor 1622, stainless ,will be gorgeous cleaned up. several sets of Hogan persimmons,

I might become this sellers consignment seller, he still has 10000 plus clubs, probably more. He does not use computer or CL, just does swap meets and uses his old contacts for selling. If we can work it out there will be lots of clubs for sale. He also has many newer sets of clubs, he trades golf balls for newer product

Not sure if I mentioned he has several million golf balls, yes million, he use to be a ball diver and still contracts with divers

Let me know if you come up with a set of Radials or Wilson X31's. Thanks

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Tim-

LH Will Simes? George Peters also has a set...with "Oil Hardened" on the sole.

Am very interested in your LH acquisitions.

Dave Wood has more than common knowledge about the origin of "Oil Hardened", as it involves Will Sime and Jimmy Demaret.

Yes, MacGregor did make some LH 693s....."Tommy Armour" and......(drum roll please)... "Ben Hogan"

More than likely it's the 653 series.

Is the 1940 MacGregor "Cloverleaf" Rams Horn a Byron Nelson, or Ben Hogan?

Hunterho,

Those 709 Silver Scots are lovely. I have a set and find them really crisp players.

An odd feature on mine is the progessive offset.....no offset on the long irons but offset on the short 'uns. Are yours like that? Usually it's the other way around, I thought. Happy to be corrected.

Mine are the same. Progressively more offset with shorter irons. I am sure this should be the case.

Picked up some Hot-Z headcovers. Then I was bored so I put together a bag. That's what you do in Michigan in February I guess.

I just added a set of 1983 Mizuno Pro blades to the fold, last week. The set fell in my lap and I was very happy to give them a new home. I took them to the loft/lie machine and made some small adjustments to bring them closer to current specs. I went with specs for a set of 2000 MP33's after finding that set to be the closest in both numbers and requiring the least amount of adjustment.

I will try to get some pictures taken and share them here.

LaMont in AZ

Nice little haul from collector in LA, 150 hickories, 20 sets iron sets of Hogans, macgregors, Spalding Customs. About 300 persimmons, 60 fancy face, 70 Ping Eye 2 woods, lots of putters, one irons , wedges, was pretty picky form what he had, no junk other than things he just gave me to get rid of, Hogan iron and Macgregor iron sets that I can use the shafts.

Kirasdad was there for awhile, was amazed with his ability to walk away not buying one club, and seller gave him a set of radials because he bought a club from him 25 years ago!!

Indeed I was there, and the whole experience just blew my mind. Tim was there for 4 hours, I joined him about half way through and we could have been there another four. After a while though you just get mentally tired. You can't look at one more club. Tim knows classic stuff like few others. He accumulated some unbelievably cool clubs that he bought for peanuts, relatively speaking. I held that Wood Brothers Texan in my hands. Stunning club, and has never seen a golf ball. This collector (hoarder is closer to the truth, but I will be polite, he's a nice fellow) is, at this point, in his late 60's and just wants to get rid of most of his cache. It's like he woke up a month ago and said "OMG, what am I going to do with all this s**t!" He kept saying to Tim, "take more, take more". He was charging for them, but with no real discretion, more like just a gigantic volume discount where a Wood Bros. Texan and a Ping laminate are the same thing. So I am standing there and Tim says " didn't you play a set of Radials a few years ago" I nodded yes, and the guy says "I have ten sets, take one" and charges me nothing. I am now the proud owner of a nice set of Radials that cleaned up beautifully when I got home. Grooves are perfect. Tim and I played nine holes late in the afternoon after loading all of his stuff. I played the Radials and an M85 that I just randomly grabbed out of Tim's haul. What a club. Hit the beejesus out of it, and it has incredible feel. They literally don't make 'em like that any more.

This fellow did have a room in his house that had almost all hickories in it. Called it his premium stuff, and he wasn't kidding. I went through and picked out maybe 20 clubs that not only were nice players, but were worth a tidy sum on eBay. Tim bought a few of them and a few he found, but club fatigue had set in by then so a return visit is in order soon. I am the opposite of the hoarder/collector in question in that I don't like a lot of stuff around. I try to keep,things simple. I am pretty happy with my hickory bag and short of a flanged niblick, which is about the only thing this guy DID NOT have, I didn't really want anything.

All in all, an incredible afternoon.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

Man - I'd love to spend a couple of hours in that hickory room!

If you happen across a MacGregor Nokorode 1-Driving Iron or 8-Jigger then do please put them on one side for your friendly neighbourhood Blade Junkie :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Does anyone have any information on Rawlings Lee Trevino VIP irons. They look like the photo below except the MVP is in the middle and Lee Trevino is at the bottom. I couldn't find much information on the clubs. Thank you in advance.

mN1MvwsmWlJR8UGghFZj09w.jpg

Does anyone have any information on Rawlings Lee Trevino VIP irons. They look like the photo below except the MVP is in the middle and Lee Trevino is at the bottom. I couldn't find much information on the clubs. Thank you in advance.

probably retail, not top of the line, BUT they do look like nice blades with a square toe. Good find.

probably retail, not top of the line, BUT they do look like nice blades with a square toe. Good find.

I thought they were retail also. I saw a set 3-PW in great condition for $13

Man - I'd love to spend a couple of hours in that hickory room!

If you happen across a MacGregor Nokorode 1-Driving Iron or 8-Jigger then do please put them on one side for your friendly neighbourhood Blade Junkie :)

Here are a couple hickories found, close to what you are looking for??

Mac Jigger, Driving iron,

He had lots of hickory putters but most were the blade type, but I did find a nice Mills, sits perfect for me