2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

You should all move to Montreal

Well....not really unless you want to learn French.

But i'm always reading about these bad experiences on courses. 6 hour rounds, guys playing the tips who suck, fights on courses, weird/eccentric playing partners...and so on, and so on

Here's a list of things i basically NEVER see

1) Guys playing the tips who shouldn't

-Everyone at my course looks for an excuse to move up to the 1-up tees. It's cold out...it's October...Club Championship has passed...etc. Even 2 handicaps are playing the black tees most weekends (rather then gold). And at public courses? I've played probably 6-7 public courses this year and at every one of them there were very few divots from the tips. At a top 100 course (Le Diable) i've played it 9 times in the past 2 years and never seen anyone play the tips

2) 6 hour rounds

-At my club, we play in sub 4 hours almost every saturday. On public courses, the longest round i've played this year was probably 4:45. And i've played at various times. I played a resort course recently at 1pm and we played in 4:30

3) Miserable playing partners/fights on course

-In my 10 years playing golf i've played as a single a lot....this has just almost never happened. I can think of 1 incident in 10 years where a guy was a major A-hole....but that's it, just 1

I can't relate to these threads.....golf for me just isn't that bad

anyone else play in good golf areas?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1410657863' post='10113621']
Jeff, it's a Canadian thing.
[/quote]

It's just weird because Montreal isn't THAT nice a city, if i can slander my own kind. We're probably the rudest city in Canada. Montreal is like the New York of Canada....it's very diverse, there's a lot of attitude, go-go fast paced behavior, it's got a snooty "we're so cool" vibe to it. It's not necessarily the "how's it going eh!" that most people associate with Canada

But still....nothing but pleasant experiences on the golf course

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='OldGolfer87' timestamp='1410658104' post='10113641']
How can you expect quality golf in a French speaking region that eats , sleeps and everything in between ... hockey and the Canadiens ..... and the closer to the start of the season the crazier Habs fans get ......im surprised that golf courses are not already closed and the ice rinks are rocking
[/quote]

well, i didn't say anything about quality golf! Our courses are pretty subpar compared to the rest of the country....but i just mean the experience and people has never been bad for me

Has hockey started yet? I have to log onto facebook to see if every single post on my homepage is about the Habs

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Im sure I wouldn't find many happy golfers up there as I am a huge Bruins fan :)

[center] Titleist 915D2 8.5* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di6s
Titleist 915F 15* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di7s[/center]
[center] Titleist 915H 21* - Aldila Rogue 85 S
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour S
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*F, 56*S, 60*K - KBS Hi-Rev S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/center]

[center][url="http://invite.golfmat.ch/m/I6G4g3MqEn"]Find me on GolfMatch App.[/url] - TJ O[/center]

Too much cold for me. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, born and raised. Me and cold don't get along.

Besides, I don't run into those problems here either, and I get year round golf. I have played tournaments that have run 5-5.5 hours, but most rounds I play are 3 to 4 hours, and mostly play weekend morning golf. Only issue I've had where there was a chance of a problem was someone picked up my drive. I caught him 2 holes later and asked him (it was an older ma. And his son or grandson), and when he pulled my ball out of his pocket, I let him have it. He said something about hitting I to them, but they were getting out of the cart at the green on a 450 yard par 4, I teed off, and the old man got back into the cart, drove back and picked up my ball.

1 and 2 are definitely true. I see number one just about every round. Here in Az some courses playing from the tips you need minimum 230-250 carry to clear desert. I've played behind foursomes where no one cleared the desert all day.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1410658566' post='10113675']
1 and 2 are definitely true. I see number one just about every round. Here in Az some courses playing from the tips you need minimum 230-250 carry to clear desert. I've played behind foursomes where no one cleared the desert all day.
[/quote]

I always feel like the jerk because i do like to play the tips, though lately i've just decided to play whatever tees the group plays. But i rarely see guys play the tips anywhere, the 1-ups is the default for most guys here in my experience

there's a course just off island called "Ste Rose" which is very short. Something like 6100yds from the tips. Everyone still plays the 1-ups because that's just what they do....i play the tips there and guys are like "oh cmon, we're not that good!" and i have to tell them that the tips there are shorter then the whites at most courses. But even there out of 10 groups maybe 1 of 10 will play the tips

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

You can't play the tips where I live without signing up with the starter, and you have to be a 9 or better. If you hold anyone up or a marshal sees you play like a dog, you have to move forward.

Five hour rounds are common because you have to stop for an hour lunch at the turn. No one complains because that's the way it is. Golf is still a throwback activity, a social game, an unhurried day to enjoy the outdoors and the company. You don't get paired with anyone - you play with whomever you came with, so there are no issues with incompatible playing partners.

Golf is great here. Even at a public course, everyone gets a locker, you sign in and lock you valuables in a little safe thing, people greet you and take the clubs out of your car and put them on the cart(s)your group will use. The carts are lined up for the tee you'll be starting from. All have GPS or a yardage book, wet towels to use on the green to clean your ball, water and everything you need to clean your clubs, umbrellas (you don't need to carry an umbrella), pin placement sheets, coolers to keep you drinks cold, etc.

The courses are immaculate, greens cut with walking mowers, no riding mowers for greens, new cup every day, bunkers are perfect, yardage markers throughout fairways, no grass clippings piled up. They actually vacuum the clippings behind the fairway and rough mowers through the course, or have large blowers to spread out the clippings.

The tees are in better condition than the greens at many courses in the US.

Always have air blowers to clean shoes and at clubhouse entrance. The clubhouses are immaculately clean and bathrooms spotless. Public courses have all the amenities of an expensive private club - showers, sauna, hair dryers, toothbrushes, towels, all bathrooms have hand towels you use and put in a bin, no paper towels here... sinks are spotless because it's part of the culture to wipe the sink with the towel after you use it.

Clubhouse is stocked with merchandise at same prices as any store, shirts, pants, hats, clubs, just like in the old days.

There is always water and bathrooms on the course. Most have someone at a halfway house on each side who will give you an ice cold towel to wipe off and cool off in the summer and a hot one in the winter. They'll pour you a glass of ice water with real ice and a real glass, no plastic cups anywhere in sight, or something hot to drink in the winter.

You clubs are cleaned while you eat between nines, and cart restocked with fresh towels, etc.

Clubs cleaned (maybe polished is a better word) after the round and moved from cart to a room at the front entrance so they can load up your car when you pull up front. You pay after the round and charge everything to your account that day.

No tipping. Everyone smiles. Everything is spotless and everyone is polite. No disputes, no complaining, no whining. No golfers throw a club, or get angry about bad play or bad shots. The culture is to laugh at yourself if you hit a bad shot.

It's quite enjoyable and classy.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1410659649' post='10113755']
You can't play the tips where I live without signing up with the starter, and you have to be a 9 or better. If you hold anyone up or a marshal sees you play like a dog, you have to move forward.

Five hour rounds are common because you have to stop for an hour lunch at the turn. No one complains because that's the way it is. Golf is still a throwback activity, a social game, an unhurried day to enjoy the outdoors and the company. You don't get paired with anyone - you play with whomever you came with, so there are no issues with incompatible playing partners.

Golf is great here. Even at a public course, everyone gets a locker, you sign in and lock you valuables in a little safe thing, people greet you and take the clubs out of your car and put them on the cart(s)your group will use. The carts are lined up for the tee you'll be starting from. All have GPS or a yardage book, wet towels to use on the green to clean your ball, water and everything you need to clean your clubs, umbrellas (you don't need to carry an umbrella), pin placement sheets, coolers to keep you drinks cold, etc.

The courses are immaculate, greens cut with walking mowers, no riding mowers for greens, new cup every day, bunkers are perfect, yardage markers throughout fairways, no grass clippings piled up. They actually vacuum the clippings behind the fairway and rough mowers through the course, or have large blowers to spread out the clippings.

Always have air blowers to clean shoes and at clubhouse entrance. The clubhouses are immaculately clean and bathrooms spotless. Public courses have all the amenities of an expensive private club - showers, sauna, hair dryers, toothbrushes, towels, all bathrooms have hand towels you use and put in a bin, no paper towels here... sinks are spotless because it's part of the culture to wipe the sink with the towel after you use it.

Clubhouse is stocked with merchandise at same prices as any store, shirts, pants, hats, clubs, just like in the old days.

There is always water and bathrooms on the course. Most have someone at a halfway house on each side who will give you an ice cold towel to wipe off and cool off in the summer and a hot one in the winter. They'll pour you a glass of ice water with real ice and a real glass, no plastic cups anywhere in sight, or something hot to drink in the winter.

You clubs are cleaned while you eat between nines, and cart restocked with fresh towels, etc.

Clubs cleaned (maybe polished is a better word) after the round and moved from cart to a room at the front entrance so they can load up your car when you pull up front. You pay after the round and charge everything to your account that day.

No tipping. Everyone smiles. Everything is spotless and everyone is polite. No disputes, no complaining, no whining. No golfers throw a club, or get angry about bad play or bad shots. The culture is to laugh at yourself if you hit a bad shot.

[/quote] Ireland?

[center] Titleist 915D2 8.5* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di6s
Titleist 915F 15* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di7s[/center]
[center] Titleist 915H 21* - Aldila Rogue 85 S
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour S
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*F, 56*S, 60*K - KBS Hi-Rev S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/center]

[center][url="http://invite.golfmat.ch/m/I6G4g3MqEn"]Find me on GolfMatch App.[/url] - TJ O[/center]

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1410658349' post='10113661']
[quote name='OldGolfer87' timestamp='1410658104' post='10113641']
How can you expect quality golf in a French speaking region that eats , sleeps and everything in between ... hockey and the Canadiens ..... and the closer to the start of the season the crazier Habs fans get ......im surprised that golf courses are not already closed and the ice rinks are rocking
[/quote]

well, i didn't say anything about quality golf! Our courses are pretty subpar compared to the rest of the country....but i just mean the experience and people has never been bad for me

Has hockey started yet? I have to log onto facebook to see if every single post on my homepage is about the Habs
[/quote]

Yes NHL camps open in a week or so and I believe games start the first week of October .........and QMJHL which is part of the Canadian junior leagues which are ages 15 to 19 or 20 have already started their seasons ..

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1410657677' post='10113609']
[/quote]

I love living in the Coachella Valley. Over 120 courses in a 15 mile radius and I get to play many top notch tracks for under $30 in the summer time in under 3 hours (the only downside is the summer heat but I get out early).

The winters out here are perfect and I get paired with fine people from B.C, Alberta, and Saskatchewan more often than with locals. The downside in the winter are expensive green fees and 5 hour rounds. I'm not blaming our Canadian friends, the courses are just packed.

A whopping 25% of our homes are sold to Canadians and we are affectionately known as the 11th Province of Canada.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

But i'm always reading about these bad experiences on courses. 6 hour rounds, guys playing the tips who suck, fights on courses, weird/eccentric playing partners...and so on, and so on

-Everyone at my course looks for an excuse to move up to the 1-up tees. It's cold out...it's October...Club Championship has passed...etc. Even 2 handicaps are playing the black tees most weekends (rather then gold). And at public courses? I've played probably 6-7 public courses this year and at every one of them there were very few divots from the tips. At a top 100 course (Le Diable) i've played it 9 times in the past 2 years and never seen anyone play the tips

2) 6 hour rounds
-At my club, we play in sub 4 hours almost every saturday. On public courses, the longest round i've played this year was probably 4:45. And i've played at various times. I played a resort course recently at 1pm and we played in 4:30

-In my 10 years playing golf i've played as a single a lot....this has just almost never happened. I can think of 1 incident in 10 years where a guy was a major A-hole....but that's it, just 1

[/quote]

I lived in Montreal for a few years, NDG - Avenue de Melrose (RIP Dad's Bagels :(:()... for one, I never had to speak a word of french in my life, my neighbour was born and raised in Montreal, was a lawyer and doesn't know a single word of french, lol.... Second, I have had nothing but awesome golf experiences in Montreal. I really loved playing [url="http://www.cgimgolf.com/en/accueil.htm"]http://www.cgimgolf.com/en/accueil.htm[/url] Ireland course links-style. It was tough but a lot of fun. I never had issues with slowplay or anything like that that I can remember. We played The Challenger a lot which is now gone but it was fun, no matter where we went we were treated well and had a blast, friendly people in Montreal.... the girls are easy on the eyes there as well :D

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

I'll put up with the 5.5 hr rounds for a 24hr turn around time on an MRI. ;)

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

2) 6 hour rounds

[/quote]

Sounds a lot like Moncton(including the French thing) and Edmonton to me.

What a great country we live in eh!!

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1410659649' post='10113755']

[/quote]

Sounds like heaven, Field of Dreams stuff.

Where do you live and play?

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

i knew i shouldn't have put an actual place in the title....now it's been moved to the thread graveyard

I just wanted a discussion on guys who have good golf in their areas, that contradict some of the other threads we see here

well, next time i'll just say i have good golf in my area and not mention where

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

2) 6 hour rounds

[/quote]

Wait you get sub 4hr rounds at Le Diable? WTH last time I went it was so horribly long. I can't say I agree with the pace but I do agree about the tips, very rare you will see someone playing from there (from ottawa area btw)

I seldom see anyone playing tees longer than 6900 at any course. Rarely is there an extreme issue with pace (4.5+ hour rounds are maybe an issue on holidays or at particular city courses. I've only played with a complete dbag maybe four times in the last five years... and two of those were two different tournament rounds, with the same person.

I don't live in a particularly golf crazy state though.