2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Oven: GolfWRX's Nike Vapor Driver Experience (trip recap and reviews on page 1!)

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413755192' post='10315895']
[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1413745361' post='10315183']
Just give it to me straight, Tai.

Am I picking up a Flex in the spring? I still have a Whiteboard 83-X with a flexloft tip on it lying around.

And how much of a difference (All other things equal) am I going to see compared to the 430? Like you, the Covert Tour just didn't do it and the 2.0 looked horrible to me.
[/quote]

Are you? Yes. It's been one of the lowest launching and spinning heads I have hit in a while, including the 430.. with much better feel, shape and sound. I don't want to get ahead of myself because I need to test it on my course and in competitive rounds to see how it holds up under pressure and how the forgiveness is when I need it. The distance is definitely there, no doubt about it.. I think you will definitely be trying it. The head shape with the softened toe area frames the ball so nicely at address and I think you will really love the feel/sound. Both on the Trackman and at the round at Shady Oaks, I hit some very long and straight drives basically cold turkey right off the Trackman fitting. 182 BS, 10ish launch and sub 2000 spin.. I haven't seen numbers like that in any driver I have tested in my shootouts. The best part is that I can move the launch spin both up or down from that position depending on conditions or if my swing changes.

None of the Nike stuff from last year made very long in my bag, the entire Nike team pretty much all knew it when I showed up at the Oven.. I showed up with basically zero Nike clubs, except the Rory putter and felt very happy with the Vapor line coming out of the fitting. BUT, it was only one day, one session, and 9 holes.. it's going to take a lot more time and a lot more shots under different conditions and playing situations for me to tell, but I like what I see so far. As with last year, I will give it to you straight.. No BS if the stuff doesn't work. My only allegiance is to lowering the numbers on my scorecard at the end of the round :)
[/quote]

After watching your WITB thread over the last few years, you are one of the very few people that that seem to have a resistance to Kool Aid and tell it straight. Definitely gonna be checking out the Vapor drivers for next season.

The folks at Nike Golf seem to be doing pretty good things, definitely seeing a lot more of their gear in bags around the courses I play.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://nikeinc.com/n...nagement-system

Distance for every golf swing - that’s what Nike Golf engineers set out to deliver with the brand's new Vapor drivers: the Vapor Pro, Vapor Speed and now the Vapor Flex.

The Vapor Flex, Nike’s pinnacle driver, features the same three key technologies found in the Vapor Pro and Vapor Speed drivers:

Nike’s FlyBeams, which stiffen the cavity back of the club.

A re-engineered Compression Channel that accentuates the spring-like effect across the face to return energy to the golf ball.

FlexLoft 2, which allows the golf athlete the functionality of five lofts and three face angles within 15 different settings.

All of these technologies were developed to drive more energy to the golf ball for more distance, no matter the swing.

But Nike didn’t stop there with the Vapor Flex driver. While the Vapor Pro and Vapor Speed drivers each provide specific launch and spin characteristics, Nike Golf engineers believe there’s one more important step to ensure golf athletes achieve their optimal launch conditions. With that goal in mind, the engineers created the FlexFlight adjustability system.

FlexFlight features a RZN tube with a high-density weight on one end, called the FlightPod, which is located in the cavity of the club. By flipping the FlightPod, golfers can actively move the center of gravity of the Vapor Flex driver to further optimize their launch conditions.

With FlexFlight, golfers can manipulate the center of gravity from low and forward to low and back by adjusting the pod in quarter turns with the same wrench used to operate the FlexLoft 2. Utilizing the FlexFlight system impacts launch angle, spin rate, forgiveness (increased in the “mid” setting) and workability (enhanced in the “low” setting).

“Often times in the fitting process, there’s an opportunity for a final adjustment to develop the shot shape and ball flight the athlete is looking for,” said Nate Radcliffe, Director of Engineering for Nike Golf. “That’s how FlexFlight can help. With a simple quarter turn, we can adjust the mass of the FlexFlight module forward and backward within the club to change the trajectory and shot shape for the athlete. In doing so, we are seeing that a two-plus millimeter shift will change launch angle up to a degree - and it gives us that fine-tuning change in spin of about 300 rpm. As the last step in the fitting process, that can be the difference between the athlete being comfortable with the fitting and really being able to compete with it on the golf course.”

The FlexFlight system is simple and easy to use. The 15-gram RZN FlightPod, inserts into the back of the driver. Using the same FlexLoft wrench, a simple quarter turn rotation and audible click will lock or unlock the pod. When unlocked, the FlightPod can be removed, reversed and locked back into the cavity.

“The power of RZN is that it allows us to remove and relocate mass within a club head,” said Radcliffe.

Nike Golf uses RZN technology as a valuable weight management component, and the technoloy is also featured in Nike’s new Vapor irons and RZN golf balls.

The Vapor Flex driver will be available on Jan. 30, 2015.

Nike Vapor Flex

Availability: Jan. 30, 2015

Specifications: 8.5° – 12.5° loft; Diamana S+ 60G (Blue Board) shaft; RH/LH: R, S, X flex

MSRP: $600.00 Street Price: $499.00

FY15_Vapor_Flex_Driver_SLDR_CMYK.jpg

FY15_Vapor_Flex_Driver_PLY_CMYK.jpg

http://nikeinc.com/nike-golf/news/nike-golf-unveils-the-new-vapor-speed-driver

Volt just got bigger in Nike Golf’s new Vapor Franchise of drivers.

Fresh out of The Oven, Nike’s Vapor Speed driver has the largest and most stable chassis of the new Vapor drivers. Black on the crown with the distinctive volt in the cavity back and Compression Channel, the Vapor Speed driver promotes a higher launch angle with lower spin.

“We’ve reengineered the chassis of the Vapor Speed by sloping the crown more from face to the back and creating a deeper face,” said Nate Radcliffe, Director of Engineering for Nike Golf. “This moves the center of gravity projection toward the center of the face and significantly reduces spin to launch ratio versus the Covert 2.0.”

Like the recently released Vapor Pro driver, the Vapor Speed driver blends three key technologies: Nike’s new FlyBeam-reinforced Covert Cavity Back design, a reengineered Compression Channel and FlexLoft 2. All of these are vital to the golf athlete driven to maximize distance and consistency within his or her desired flight window.

“We added FlyBeams to the Covert Cavity Back to drive frequency-tuned compliance into the Compression Channel,” said Radcliffe. “The new channel enhances the trampoline effect observed on the NexCOR face with a springboard design that accentuates ball speed on hits struck across the entire face. The end result is better sound, feel, consistency and distance.”

FlexLoft 2 allows the golf athlete the functionality of five lofts and three face angles within 15 different settings. The new, improved system is five grams (30 percent) lighter without compromising function. The redistribution of mass creates more stability, better launch conditions and faster swing speeds. Another benefit of FlexLoft 2 is its forward and backward compatibility. Golfers with previous generations of Covert can use shafts with the original adaptor in the new head or vice versa.

The Vapor Speed driver will be available on Jan. 30, 2015.

Nike Vapor Speed

Availability: Jan. 30, 2015

Specifications: 8.5° – 12.5° loft; Fubuki Z 50G Series shaft; RH/LH: R, S, X flex

MSRP: $360.00 Street Price: $299.00

FY15_Vapor_Speed_Driver_SLDR_CMYK.jpg

FY15_Vapor_Speed_Driver_PLY_CMYK.jpg

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1413778394' post='10317969']
Why don't those photos show the triangle thing on the back of the crown?
[/quote]

I see them, they are there.

Looks faint. Don't know how much since I haven't seen them in person yet.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

Love the shape of the flex

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

[quote name='resnor' timestamp='1413752154' post='10315659']As long as they're redoing the website, can we get their techies to release the Nike Golf360 app on Android?? My only complaint about switching from my iPhone. Wouldn't be such a big deal, but they took away the web based Golf360 site that I used to access from my Android phone.[/quote]

NG360 in Australia would be a nice start.

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

Question -

The 2014 Vr Pro Combos were fantastic but lacked distance. Can you guys give comparison in distance of the VPC to that set? Thx

F9 Driver, Atoms TS Blue 6S
F9 3-wood, Atmos TS Blue 7S
Hogan VKTR 20*, UST Recoil 85F4
Hogan Edge Irons, KBS Tour-V
Hogan Equalizer 50*,54*,58* Wedges, KBS Tour-V
Odyssey Toulon San Diego Putter
Callaway Chrome Soft Plus

[quote name='golfnut88' timestamp='1413797797' post='10318315']
Question -

The 2014 Vr Pro Combos were fantastic but lacked distance. Can you guys give comparison in distance of the VPC to that set? Thx
[/quote]

I can speak to this first hand.as I went from identical VRS Forged to 2014 PC. Only difference was that the PC's were 1 degree weaker.

I loved the look and feel of the PC's but could never get past hitting them nearly one club shorter. Plus they were so unforgiving. But I had so much more control over ballflight that I tried to make them work.

My good rounds were better with the PC but my bad rounds were much worse. My HC actually went down with them but I went back to the VRS.

The VPC is the best of both worlds! You can flight the ball and work it like the PC but they are as long as VRS. And as forgiving. Really.

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413766664' post='10316919']
[quote name='csiachos' timestamp='1413766516' post='10316907']
Don't mean to rush you guys but where are the reviews? I just got in trouble with my wife for looking at my phone too much.
[/quote]

You will see the reviews roll in over the next few days.

Suffice to say you won't be seeing a paragraph...
[/quote]

Please don't take this the wrong way but without a full review posted yet I'm just gonna go ahead and ask, were there any negatives? So far it sounds like we are looking at a set of irons sent from heaven that are going to dominate the iron market and change the way every one of us plays the game, hallelujah!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1413813530' post='10318931']
Don't mean to rush you guys but where are the reviews? I just got in trouble with my wife for looking at my phone too much.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Please don't take this the wrong way but without a full review posted yet I'm just gonna go ahead and ask, were there any negatives? So far it sounds like we are looking at a set of irons sent from heaven that are going to dominate the iron market and change the way every one of us plays the game, hallelujah!
[/quote]

No no no. That is not what I mean.

These were heaven sent FOR MY GAME

Do think it is good for a 15 to play a short laded iron that is very easy to manipulate the face? No. I think the Covert Forged is a better iron for that.

will blade purists flock to these? Long irons yes. Mid and short irons no. The ballflight and feel are too different.

But in tis category, I have tried EVERYTHING. And in MY OPINION nothing is close.

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1413778584' post='10317975']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Couldn't see them at all on my iphone.

They show up when looking at pics on a computer.

They look pretty good in person.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Seems like everything I've read has been comparing the new Vapor line to previous Nike lines and how they have improved and evolved. Makes sense most of the info would be positive. In any case I think with irons it really comes down to liking what you see when you look down. Lots of good iron choices out there and the Vapors seem to be Nike's best effort yet. They have a ways to go in winning over Joe consumer but they are gaining ground here on Wrx.

Also on a side note (not directed at you swiss) I enjoy reading info about these trips and feeling the enthusiasm in the participants posts. Some here call it Kool Aid but I see it as excitement and joy. They're very cool experiences and people should be able to express their excitement without being called out or put in a position to defend it. .

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1413814249' post='10319019']
[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1413778584' post='10317975']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Couldn't see them at all on my iphone.

They show up when looking at pics on a computer.

They look pretty good in person.
[/quote]

Yeah I see them on my computer, they don't show up on the iPad.

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1413814603' post='10319045']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Seems like everything I've read has been comparing the new Vapor line to previous Nike lines and how they have improved and evolved. Makes sense most of the info would be positive. In any case I think with irons it really comes down to liking what you see when you look down. Lots of good iron choices out there and the Vapors seem to be Nike's best effort yet. They have a ways to go in winning over Joe consumer but they are gaining ground here on Wrx.

Also on a side note (not directed at you swiss) I enjoy reading info about these trips and feeling the enthusiasm in the participants posts. Some here call it Kool Aid but I see it as excitement and joy. They're very cool experiences and people should be able to express their excitement without being called out or put in a position to defend it. .
[/quote]

@ Swoosh - I hope my posts are not coming off the way you just described, if they are, I will need to adjust how I am delivering my experiences to the forum. So far, for me, the Vapor line has been an improvement over the previous line pretty much across the board. I will not have any "negatives" until I have more time with them in play, but from what I have seen and felt so far, they are better than the last model in every category.

@ J - you hit the nail on the head and made some great points. I do feel, however, that there is a [i]VERY[/i] fine line between enthusiasm about a product and being completely overzealous to the point where your review and feedback start to lack credibility and are not as useful to the community. :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1413814603' post='10319045']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There is a fine line like Tai stated to being over zealous - and the same goes on the other side of the fence a there is a fine line to cynical as well with comments that are coming back in multiple forums about trips. ALL we can do is give our experiences and information. The proof in the pudding is three months from now and how the product is working. I came this time with a full NIKE bag - didn't the first time as it was all TMAG - and I noticed MORE improvements this time than last which I will touch on in my review. So am I excited - yes. If it was Titleist and I had an improvement - yes. My goal is to go lower and improve every time out. Just because it is better for me, doesn't make it better for anyone else - it's my swing and my game - and i'm not a player who doesn't have a solid bag that had major holes or a game that has too many holes other than the lack of holes played this year.

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413825635' post='10320107']
Sorry Tai.....didn't mean to "cheerlead" your post......just a phrase to say that you are knowledge BUT fair....and the response to Stage got me excited, that's all......

And hoping for time to elapse and you to get rounds under your belt for a review!
[/quote]

dude, never get excited around Stage...not a good thing, trust me!! Turns into 3 wood contests and so forth!! :stop:

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

On topic....Look of the Vapors really appeals to me, and can't wait to get the demo heads into GG to check them out...ALL of them, woods and irons...I love my bag right now...and am only realistically thinking Driver and two fairway woods next year at the moment, but testing will prove out what I go with...most forgiving with highest rewards wins out!!

Great job Scott, Ryan and Tai...keep the information coming in!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='golfnut88' timestamp='1413797797' post='10318315']
Question -

[/quote]

That was my only issue with the 2014 irons and I couldn't put a finger on it to why... In hitting the VPC for about 40 minutes and then hitting them a few times on the course it appears that the distance "issue" has been addressed. It also looked as if i hit them a little higher which may or may not be good. I hit my irons very high. Watching Tai and Scott on the course - I noticed that I have a very NW oriented ball flight - yet enjoy playing 1/2 and 3/4 shots to control trajectory. Me hitting the VPC will more than likely have me going to the PRO or blade model as I feel they are as forgiving as my 2014 PC (in my case Split Cavity) and will lower the flight.

One additional note to the VPC. The leading edge grind that has been added is fantastic and very beneficial through the turf. At The Oven - my fitter Matt and I threw some balls in the tangled deep rough and I was blasting my 6 iron right through it. The ball flight came out nice and didn't nose dive - and the face didn't turn over. Very efficient.

Swanny and Pure - Agree 100% there are the extremes but for the most part I think people get amped up and that's ok. There have been a few loose canons but overall I love the excitement surrounding new products and in the end it's always up to the consumer to test the product to make there own determination if it's right for their game.

Keep the info coming I'm really enjoying reading about the clubs and experience. I've heard some great info about the wedges and they will be head turners in the shop.

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1413826196' post='10320169']
Sorry Tai.....didn't mean to "cheerlead" your post......just a phrase to say that you are knowledge BUT fair....and the response to Stage got me excited, that's all......

And hoping for time to elapse and you to get rounds under your belt for a review!
[/quote]

dude, never get excited around Stage...not a good thing, trust me!! Turns into 3 wood contests and so forth!! :stop:
[/quote]

Brad can get in your head a little!

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1413826196' post='10320169']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Brad can get in your head a little!

Wish others then the "elite" could attend those experiences. I use a CT 2.0 and have Nike VR forged wedges, and still have my split cavity forged irons. Why can't someone like me get invited to that. It seems that the same *chosen* people keep on getting chosen to go to these things. Unfair and a tease to all others on this board who would kill to get invited to this. How about next time you do a giveaway or pick someone who hasn't been to the OVEN or was given a frickin driver or putter for free, with a fitting. Yes, I'm hating and it's well merited. I know hundreds of other people have the same feelings but won't express their true feeling. Many others and myself have performed many reviews and tested equipment. How do we get noticed. Say I'm a troll and hater all you want, but the majority of readers of this site will agree with me.

I still appreciate the conventional reviews but am a little agitated with the dream fitting threads, gloating how everyone receives free sh*t, that many would give a kidney to just be a part of.

Flame away.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1413831259' post='10320657']
Wish others then the "elite" could attend those experiences. I use a CT 2.0 and have Nike VR forged wedges, and still have my split cavity forged irons. Why can't someone like me get invited to that. It seems that the same *chosen* people keep on getting chosen to go to these things. Unfair and a tease to all others on this board who would kill to get invited to this. How about next time you do a giveaway or pick someone who hasn't been to the OVEN or was given a frickin driver or putter for free, with a fitting. Yes, I'm hating and it's well merited. I know hundreds of other people have the same feelings but won't express their true feeling. Many others and myself have performed many reviews and tested equipment. How do we get noticed. Say I'm a troll and hater all you want, but the majority of readers of this site will agree with me.

I still appreciate the conventional reviews but am a little agitated with the dream fitting threads, gloating how everyone receives free sh*t, that many would give a kidney to just be a part of.

Flame away.
[/quote]

You're not hating - you're expressing your opinion and there is nothing wrong with that!

Just keep doing what your doing with your game and if you want to share a review - go for it - people will listen and read. When things are done with good intention good things will happen...rarely in the way we expect or want.

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1413832443' post='10320783']
Has anyone of you tried the steelfibers in the VPCs? I am a bit indecisive between the modus 120 and the steelfiber i95
[/quote]

I have the recoil in mine. You couldn't pay me enough to go with another shaft. Been playing it for a year and a half now

I've hot the steelfiber and they feel a bit harsh to me compared to the recoil