The Oven: GolfWRX's Nike Vapor Driver Experience (trip recap and reviews on page 1!)

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1413911960' post='10326555']
[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413911865' post='10326547']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1413910957' post='10326435']
I'm glad for all the reviews and such. But it just seems like again, all of the high cappers are left out in the cold. :(
[/quote]

I don't agree!

I am working on my review as we speak. And while I'm a very low single digit, I have a very pedestrian 100 MPH SS that I think some people here may be able to relate to.

At least compared to the 100+ the other guys swing the driver!
[/quote]
Then we'll be patient... HURRY UP! LOL :cheesy:

As someone who went on a trip a few years back, it just seemed there was a mix of guys. Scratch, high single, and high cappers that gave a wide range of reviews to come at clubs from all angles. Not everyone can hit the Pro or the Flex, no matter how much we may want to. We need spin, we need bigger heads and want to try something new as well. Or at least if we were fit into one of the models, how can we get our flight up and still have some forgiveness in there.

I have a Razr Fit that's been in my bag for almost 4 seasons. NOTHING has been able to knock it out. Maybe this year...
[/quote]

I actually hit ALL THREE models extensively, trying to decide which would be best for me.

I won't give away which one I went with but you will understand the rationale behind my decision.

All three drivers are clearly differentiated by CG location, as well as size and shape.

The only real difference between me and a higher capper is that my swing is more repeatable. I think that is an important aspect of being able to review, as it is hard to assess a club when 2 out of 3 swigs are different

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1413911633' post='10326525']
Great Reviews but now Im torn between the PRO and FLEX Driver! Did any of you loose distance going from the PRO to the FLEX?
[/quote]

NO - I gained about 10 yards and tightened my dispersion pattern by quite a bit. Try both as all of our swings are different. I might be the exception to the rule but I sometimes hit lower MOI drivers straighter than high MOI drivers as I can square the face up easier.

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413912470' post='10326607']
T - handicap doesn't dictate the driver fit into. I know several + index guys who are very short off the tee and are using GI drivers with Reg/Stiff shafts, I also know plenty 10+ indexes who have 115ish SS and X-flex everything. I think our group will cover a pretty broad spectrum once the dust settles and everything is said and done. I know from talking to them our fitting processes to get to the final choices were very unique in both woods and irons. I know I have been absolutely drummed by guys I was outdriving by 60 yards :)
[/quote]
True enough. I'm just used to seeing review that say, "X" flex this and that, where no one is using a Reg flex shaft with a high launch. I have my heart set on the Flex with a high launch shaft for some reason.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Pure and Swanry,
I'm hoping you can expand on this, I know the reviews did a good job. But I was thinking I would ask either way.

I tested the SLDR and the Covert Tour 2.0 because I was starting to get a little tired of how demanding the Covert Tour 1 was on my swing to get consistent strikes. Seemed like if I was off a little the results were exaggerated a bit more than I would have liked. So I switched to the Covert Tour 2.0 and while I'm getting D3 at about 45 inches and it seems to fit pretty well. I think these new ones sound like they are better across the board. My initial thought is that the Pro would be the one and simply upgrade, but the sound of the Flex is too tempting as that would be the one I would prefer (on paper). I know you don't have extensive experience with the driver yet, but do you think that I will still really like the Flex given my history with the Covert Tour? I know getting to hit it (which I simply cannot wait for) will tell me more, but did you find the Flex to not be as unforgiving as you might expect for a 425cc?

Taylormade M1 460 - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 fairway - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 hybrids 4&5 - Aldila Rouge 110
Taylormade PSi Tour irons - KBS Tour
Taylormade EF Wedges ATV Grind - KBS Wedge
Nike Method Mod 60

Pics of the Flex 3WD:

VAPOR-1.jpg

this is why i am not posting pictures. between your camera and iphone6 - my iphone5 can't hang.

you and i didn't talk to much about the three woods together - and with the s+ stiff flex 70g shaft it was hard to get a real feel for it. better for sure than the 2.0 TOUR that you owned and I play - which is an understatement.

[quote name='prhiam' timestamp='1413912774' post='10326649']
Pure and Swanry,
I'm hoping you can expand on this, I know the reviews did a good job. But I was thinking I would ask either way.

I tested the SLDR and the Covert Tour 2.0 because I was starting to get a little tired of how demanding the Covert Tour 1 was on my swing to get consistent strikes. Seemed like if I was off a little the results were exaggerated a bit more than I would have liked. So I switched to the Covert Tour 2.0 and while I'm getting D3 at about 45 inches and it seems to fit pretty well. I think these new ones sound like they are better across the board. My initial thought is that the Pro would be the one and simply upgrade, but the sound of the Flex is too tempting as that would be the one I would prefer (on paper). I know you don't have extensive experience with the driver yet, but do you think that I will still really like the Flex given my history with the Covert Tour? I know getting to hit it (which I simply cannot wait for) will tell me more, but did you find the Flex to not be as unforgiving as you might expect for a 425cc?
[/quote]

I feel the FLEX would be well worth your time looking at... We haven't had much time with the head, but as I mentioned earlier - I hit the FLEX so straight at The Oven. On course Tai and I both hit it well until our swings started to fade with the day's activities. My misses with the FLEX on course would have been no better with the PRO.

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1413912741' post='10326647']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413912470' post='10326607']
T - handicap doesn't dictate the driver fit into. I know several + index guys who are very short off the tee and are using GI drivers with Reg/Stiff shafts, I also know plenty 10+ indexes who have 115ish SS and X-flex everything. I think our group will cover a pretty broad spectrum once the dust settles and everything is said and done. I know from talking to them our fitting processes to get to the final choices were very unique in both woods and irons. I know I have been absolutely drummed by guys I was outdriving by 60 yards :)
[/quote]
True enough. I'm just used to seeing review that say, "X" flex this and that, where no one is using a Reg flex shaft with a high launch. I have my heart set on the Flex with a high launch shaft for some reason.
[/quote]

You and me both T!

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1413913099' post='10326705']
[quote name='prhiam' timestamp='1413912774' post='10326649']
Pure and Swanry,

[/quote]

I feel the FLEX would be well worth your time looking at... We haven't had much time with the head, but as I mentioned earlier - I hit the FLEX so straight at The Oven. On course Tai and I both hit it well until our swings started to fade with the day's activities. My misses with the FLEX on course would have been no better with the PRO.
[/quote]

Perfect, that is what I wanted to hear. I will be testing both Pro and Flex (with a special eye on the Flex) up with the 915 D3 and possibly the TMAG R15. I think the Nike has more than a good chance of making the bag as Nike has been in for the last two years, driver, irons are Mizuno and don't see that changing. The MP-4s are just so clean and crisp, I love the performance I am getting with them.

Taylormade M1 460 - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 fairway - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 hybrids 4&5 - Aldila Rouge 110
Taylormade PSi Tour irons - KBS Tour
Taylormade EF Wedges ATV Grind - KBS Wedge
Nike Method Mod 60

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1413912729' post='10326641']
Great Reviews but now Im torn between the PRO and FLEX Driver! Did any of you loose distance going from the PRO to the FLEX?
[/quote]

NO - I gained about 10 yards and tightened my dispersion pattern by quite a bit. Try both as all of our swings are different. I might be the exception to the rule but I sometimes hit lower MOI drivers straighter than high MOI drivers as I can square the face up easier.
[/quote]

Wow, Thats awesome. I guess I just relate the CCs to distance, but obviously there is more to it than that! Cant wait to try them out!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1413912494' post='10326615']
In my mind there was a mistake made with the names still. The FLEX fairways and hybrids should be called PRO because the additional CG adjustment wasn't beneficial enough to add. FLEX should be in a category by itself.
[/quote]

+1

My OCD starts to go off that I'm going to have a Pro driver, Flex 3 wood, and Flex hybrid, yet I won't have that weight cartridge in any of them. Callaway has their Big Bertha Alpha driver but their fairway woods aren't called Alpha b/c they don't have the gravity core. Oh well.

If I have the 2014 Pro Combos 3-PW would I notice a difference going to the PRO MB Vapor Irons? As for as distance and mis hits? Or would you recommend sticking with the Vapor Pro Combos?

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]

[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1413913989' post='10326831']
If I have the 2014 Pro Combos 3-PW would I notice a difference going to the PRO MB Vapor Irons? As for as distance and mis hits? Or would you recommend sticking with the Vapor Pro Combos?
[/quote]

I think the Pro MB would be similar to the 2014 PC's in terms of distance and forgiveness.

The VPC would be leaps and bounds above the old PC's, in both categories. You could always mix a vapor set!

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1413910957' post='10326435']
I'm glad for all the reviews and such. But it just seems like again, all of the high cappers are left out in the cold. :(
[/quote]

But you do have Paige!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413914231' post='10326861']
[/quote]

I think the Pro MB would be similar to the 2014 PC's in terms of distance and forgiveness.

The VPC would be leaps and bounds above the old PC's, in both categories. You could always mix a vapor set!
[/quote]

Thanks, and I like the sound of that on the VPC!

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1413912729' post='10326641']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You're not alone in being better with lower MOI drivers vs high MOI. Sldr 430 was one of the straightest drivers I've ever played even if the MOI was nil. I'm really looking forward to hitting the flex now, thanks for the thorough review.

Sim - Ad TP
M5 15 - Diamana B
Vapor Pro 
SM8 53, 58 
BM DH89SS 

So a question...the Flex and the Pro: Am I mistaken in thinking that the CG can be moved lower in the Flex than the Pro? I know the lowest CG will be in the Speed. Just curious.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1413915209' post='10327003']
So a question...the Flex and the Pro: Am I mistaken in thinking that the CG can be moved lower in the Flex than the Pro? I know the lowest CG will be in the Speed. Just curious.
[/quote]

I think the cg stix moves from back to front; so the Flex can be the lowest FORWARD. ...speed I believe is low but further back than pro or flex......flex and be low and further back but launch change is .5 degree and 300 rpm change. ...help me out guys!

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413914231' post='10326861']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you guys ask how one should mix up the irons sets?

I know when TM came out with the Tour Preferred line last year CS said no adjustments were necessary between the sets (something like since the irons were designed to achieve a desired height/distance and there should be no issues going from one set to another). I know a lot of people here (myself included) ended up tweaking the lofts but I was curious if Nike had a recommendation in how we can create a mixed set for the Vapor line.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Awesome reviews guys! I am super pumped about the new line. Growing up playing basketball and baseball, I have always been a big fan of Nike. It has only been since the introduction of the Covert line that I have given them a chance because I felt prior equipment lacked performance compared to other OEMs. I now have a full Nike bag, and it looks that it will continue that way. Once again thanks for taking the time to share this experience with us!

Mavrik Sub Zero 9* Rogue White 60
Mavrik Sub Zero 15* Rogue White 70
Srixon Z785 4-6 ZForged 7-W Project X LZ
Cleveland RTX-4 50, 54, 58 Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour Black 
Titleist ProV1x

Okay, this is a picture my buddy from my club just sent me who[i] IS[/i] a Nike Athlete (signed right out of college). He is being fit today for the new Vapor line. If you look at the setup here for a tour fitting, it is much different than our "media" version by a LOT! He just got through 1st stage and is prepping for 2nd stage in a few weeks. I hope he plays well, and the new Vapor line helps him.

Just wanted to post this picture to show the differences between a pro fitting and ours:

[attachment=2468289:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1413920883.035360.jpg]

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413920887' post='10327693']
Okay, this is a picture my buddy from my club just sent me who[i] IS[/i] a Nike Athlete (signed right out of college). He is being fit today for the new Vapor line. If you look at the setup here for a tour fitting, it is much different than our "media" version by a LOT! He just got through 1st stage and is prepping for 2nd stage in a few weeks. I hope he plays well, and the new Vapor line helps him.

Just wanted to post this picture to show the differences between a pro fitting and ours:

[/quote]

Trackman? check
Every shaft available? check
Current Set up? check
Blue skies and perfect (empty) range? check

ahhhh... the life of a Pro
where do I sign up?

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Awesome stuff guys, and as most have said, we really appreciate the time and effort.

Small request, but I haven't seen a single picture of any of the irons at address. Tai was kind enough to post shots looking down at the woods, but only iron shots seem to be of the back of the head.

Looking forward to hitting these soon!

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Tensei 1K Black 75X)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX MkII Utility 4         (MODUS GOST X)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5                  (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 ‘24

[quote name='dam276' timestamp='1413924275' post='10328127']
Awesome stuff guys, and as most have said, we really appreciate the time and effort.

Small request, but I haven't seen a single picture of any of the irons at address. Tai was kind enough to post shots looking down at the woods, but only iron shots seem to be of the back of the head.

[/quote]

Don't forget this is a woods thread.....irons were a bonus! Go down a bit for the Live vapor irons thread...

Did you guys ask the upgrade charge for the S+ shaft in a speed model? FW/ Hybrid to be more specific

I thought I saw $50 in one of the reviews. Is that right?

[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1413927062' post='10328403']
Did you guys ask the upgrade charge for the S+ shaft in a speed model? FW/ Hybrid to be more specific

[/quote]

The new versions of the Whiteboard/Blueboard/Fubuki ZT and Z are all available for no upcharge in the Flex and Pro. In the Speed WB/BB are $50 upcharge. Pretty sure I got that right.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413927917' post='10328485']
[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1413927062' post='10328403']

[/quote]

The new versions of the Whiteboard/Blueboard/Fubuki ZT and Z are all available for no upcharge in the Flex and Pro. In the Speed WB/BB are $50 upcharge. Pretty sure I got that right.
[/quote]

Correct.

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413924473' post='10328147']
[quote name='dam276' timestamp='1413924275' post='10328127']

[/quote]

Don't forget this is a woods thread.....irons were a bonus! Go down a bit for the Live vapor irons thread...
[/quote] I think anything that was given to the guys on this trip is fair game to ask about, and that includes the irons. This thread may be titled wood experience, but clearly it was more than that.