2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Chrome Soft

scottaz

[quote name='xxjonesyxx' timestamp='1422803864' post='10861755']
Does anyone have a release date for these in the UK please?

Neil
[/quote]
Hi Neil ... Fellow UK GolfWRX'r here! - I've seen them pop up on eBay in the UK but I ordered mine from Snainton
Unfortunately snow in the South has so far prevented me from trying them - I've been using the Supersoft since they
came out, so expecting great things although disappointed at the price hike for the Chrome Soft?
Cheers ... Paul

TaylorMade P770 5-PW c/w Shimada Tour Lite Stiff 
Mizuno MP-T22 49* 54* 58* 
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR 60s
PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1416240210' post='10460531']
[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1416205380' post='10459197']
[quote name='TheMerryTex' timestamp='1416202653' post='10459083']
Chrome + is no longer being produced Chrome Soft will be the new series ball to continue the line.

I've been playing off and on with this and the new ZStar and this is a decent ball, no where near the spin I could get with the Plus though.
[/quote]

You sure you don't mean the Hex Chrome have been discontinued? I just spoke with the Callaway rep yesterday and he said the Chrome + was staying on for 2015.
[/quote]
They were nuts to even think of discontinuing the C+. They got tour performance in a $30 ball totally by accident. Not only does it do what you want, they can't keep them in stock BECAUSE it's $30 a box.
[/quote]

Totally agree on this one. I liked the C+ as well, but not at the jacked up price. I'll be hunting ebay to see if I can find more C+'s. I've ordered the snell ball trial pack, and am very curious to see how they perform compared to the C+. May end up being the new ball.

[quote name='Steven991' timestamp='1422925793' post='10871995']
[quote name='nuthin but a hacker' timestamp='1422823887' post='10863903']
I picked up a dozen of the Chrome Soft balls and played 18 with them. I was wanting to compare them with the new and improved SuperSoft and see if I could tell any difference in them. For hackers like me, I'd say stick withe the SuperSoft. The Chrome Soft spins more than the SS from what I could tell which means I could really get the ball to hop and stop on the greens with my 60* wedge. But that spin also showed up for me off the tee. I missed the fairways more with the Chrome Soft. Putting was about the same for both especially with the new SS. I'd say save the $18 and get the SS. I'll mix in the rest of the dozen of CS here and there when the weather gets warmer just to see if I can tell any differences then but I can't see buying any more of them.
[/quote]I kinda figured you would have liked the chrome soft as much as I do. I'm still a huge supporter of the super soft and still have 3 dozen and continue to play them. I feel like this CS picks up what the SS was missing around the greens. I have noticed that you are right about the spin off of the driver my fade fades a little more and my draw draws a little with the CS as opposed to the SS. So I guess its a toss up when it comes to what you like with these two. I like them both and am anxious to try the CS in much warmer weather. It was 11 degrees here this morning lol....
[/quote]

I agree love the ss except chipping around the greens, I just cant hardly judge it and unfortunately I'm around the greens a lot as a 15 capper. This ball does curve a little more off the tee for me but around the greens I think I;ll take it! Everywhere else its similar for me. I keep testing and report back as well. So far I like and also still like the ss as well.

Weather in the 70's this week in Vegas so I put CS against SS today. Felt this round would finalize my decision which ball will work for me and after the results my decision was based on short game.

Both balls drove same, irons were the same as well but as in initial play, the CS runs out way more on chips compared to SS. Sticking with SS for now.

[quote name='Golfinnova' timestamp='1423285868' post='10904195']
Weather in the 70's this week in Vegas so I put CS against SS today. Felt this round would finalize my decision which ball will work for me and after the results my decision was based on short game.

Both balls drove same, irons were the same as well but as in initial play, the CS runs out way more on chips compared to SS. Sticking with SS for now.
[/quote]
This is why they make so many different balls. For me the SS has almost no spin on greenside chips. The CS has nice little check then run which is very predicable for me.

[quote name='JOHN GOLIA' timestamp='1423316043' post='10904999']Don't you mean the SS runs out?
CS spins. SS jumps off the clubs when
pitching or chipping. This is why I won't
play SS or the Duo.[/quote]
The SS isn't designed to spin. It's all about distance. That's why I gravitated to the C+. I know I'll be happy with the CS or the C+.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='JOHN GOLIA' timestamp='1423316043' post='10904999']
Don't you mean the SS runs out?
CS spins. SS jumps off the clubs when
pitching or chipping. This is why I won't
play SS or the Duo.
[/quote]

Nope, here is why:

10th hole 277 yard par 4, drove both about 260 with SS a little past CS. Chipped CS which landed 10 yards in front and rolled all the way to back of green. Then chipped SS which hit same spot but slowed much quicker so it was only 2 feet past pin.

CS is not a bad ball; however, I get better performance at $20 less a box.

Sounds like you struck those two chips differently and that's what produced those results. Because if you strike them both the same the CS will roll out less then the SS.

Cobra F8+ 9.5 - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
Cobra F8+14* - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
TM RBZ Black19* & 22* hybrids
TM P790 5-AW - TT DG105 S300
Titleist SM7 wedges 54* 58*
Ping Karsten Series Zing putter

I have had a chance to play about a round with the Chrome Soft and have spent probably several hours with it hitting pitch and chip shots in two different short game areas. Have found this ball to have driver distance comparable or longer to the Bridgestone B330RXS, probably at least 5-7 yards longer on short iron approach shots. It seems to have predictable amount spin on pitches and chips shots and quite manageable for those. For 10+ yard pitch shots the launch is higher than a Pro V1 or Srixon Zstar or other high end golf balls, but not drastically so like a SuperSoft or Wilson Duo, but closer to a Bridgestone B330RXS. Even for a slightly higher launch pitch shot the ball seems to land with pretty good and pretty predictable spin, although it appears to roll out a little further than a Pro V1 class ball, and I think anyone can adjust to that difference fairly easily in a minimal amount of time. For chip shots the CS seems to roll out a little more than a Pro V1 class ball, but not drastic, and one doesn't want a lot of spin on chips anyway. For putting, the ball is pretty soft and takes a bit of getting used to vs. a Pro V1, Srixon Zstar, Bridgestone B330-S and similar. The first time I played the CS I had a 4 foot birdie putt and as soon as I hit it, the feel was that it was going to come up short of the hole but it somehow rolled up to the hole and made it in. I might have been a few inches short with the Pro V1. I really like the ball, really nice golf ball I think, but for people playing Pro V1x balls and similar, some might not be able to make the conversion. Even for me playing the Bridgestone B330RXS (2010 version still) the feel off the irons is taking some getting used to, but the more I play and practice with he ball the more I am liking it. I have a feeling the Pros might be jacking up the compression to about 75 or 80 to get a little lower flight around the greens, or maybe a little less spin off the driver. Imho, the Chrome Soft is definitely worth a try.

[quote name='RPJET' timestamp='1423343351' post='10907191']
Sounds like you struck those two chips differently and that's what produced those results. Because if you strike them both the same the CS will roll out less then the SS.
[/quote]

Nope, like I said in previous posts the CS rolls out way more. First round with CS was a pitch that landed on front of green and rolled 20 yards out, like I have said before it's ok but it does not hold a green which I can do with a SS.

[quote name='Golfinnova' timestamp='1423365032' post='10909079'][quote name='RPJET' timestamp='1423343351' post='10907191']
[/quote]

Nope, like I said in previous posts the CS rolls out way more. First round with CS was a pitch that landed on front of green and rolled 20 yards out, like I have said before it's ok but it does not hold a green which I can do with a SS.[/quote]

That's odd. I practiced around the greens quite a bit comparing to the SR2 and there is hardly any spin difference. Slight difference in trajectory and definitely feel. Played one round with Chrome Soft, chipped and pitched predictably.

Fortunately, your other option works well for you and is cheaper!

God bless choices. :)

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

[quote name='Golfinnova' timestamp='1423365032' post='10909079']
[/quote]

Nope, like I said in previous posts the CS rolls out way more. First round with CS was a pitch that landed on front of green and rolled 20 yards out, like I have said before it's ok but it does not hold a green which I can do with a SS.
[/quote]Your results are defying all logic. Sorry, I am not buying it.

[quote name='RPJET' timestamp='1423369946' post='10909521']
[/quote]

[/quote]

What logic? Sorry you don't buy it but I don't have to prove to you nor anyone else what I feel, if you can't understand that then that's your problem. Chrome Soft simply doesn't perform for me like Super Soft, if it works for you then good for you.

Kudos to all that have documented comparisons.
Not surprising that results and preferences vary.
Guess we'll have to wait for the GD ball test graph to see how it compares to others (at lest in their test).

Sometimes I feel like ball reviews should read like wine reviews:

...traditional dimpling with unassuming markings, medium bodied to the steel palate with an unremarkable finish, notes of shot shaping but not overpowering, hints of drawback. Ball Enthusiast rating of..... 78

Got a chance to play the soft on Saturday. At the halfway I was having a shocker and turjed 8 over. I saw they had softs in the pro shop so decided to give them a go. Long story shirt I shot one over the back with a three putt bogie on 18. Felt njice off irons and seemed long of the irons. Had good spin on approaches and soft off the putter. Can't argue with the score but I found it not so good off the driver. Couldn't tell if it was the swing or the ball, but I hit some of the wildest drives I've hit since going to two piece balls a couple months ago. It just felt like it stayed on the club face a bit longer and resulted in snap hooks. I hit one solid but it was a tight fairway with overhanging trees and it just caught a branch. But even that drive didn't have the same trajectory and explosiveness off the face that I get from my Nike PD Longs. Having said that I hit every green from the poor drives, twice with 4 iron from the rough, so the ball really performs with the irons. Not completely sold on it yet but definitely worth another shot. Hopefully I was just having a bad driving day.

[quote name='lewisgl' timestamp='1423357391' post='10908307']
I have had a chance to play about a round with the Chrome Soft and have spent probably several hours with it hitting pitch and chip shots in two different short game areas. Have found this ball to have driver distance comparable or longer to the Bridgestone B330RXS, probably at least 5-7 yards longer on short iron approach shots. It seems to have predictable amount spin on pitches and chips shots and quite manageable for those. For 10+ yard pitch shots the launch is higher than a Pro V1 or Srixon Zstar or other high end golf balls, but not drastically so like a SuperSoft or Wilson Duo, but closer to a Bridgestone B330RXS. Even for a slightly higher launch pitch shot the ball seems to land with pretty good and pretty predictable spin, although it appears to roll out a little further than a Pro V1 class ball, and I think anyone can adjust to that difference fairly easily in a minimal amount of time. For chip shots the CS seems to roll out a little more than a Pro V1 class ball, but not drastic, and one doesn't want a lot of spin on chips anyway. For putting, the ball is pretty soft and takes a bit of getting used to vs. a Pro V1, Srixon Zstar, Bridgestone B330-S and similar. The first time I played the CS I had a 4 foot birdie putt and as soon as I hit it, the feel was that it was going to come up short of the hole but it somehow rolled up to the hole and made it in. I might have been a few inches short with the Pro V1. I really like the ball, really nice golf ball I think, but for people playing Pro V1x balls and similar, some might not be able to make the conversion. Even for me playing the Bridgestone B330RXS (2010 version still) the feel off the irons is taking some getting used to, but the more I play and practice with he ball the more I am liking it. I have a feeling the Pros might be jacking up the compression to about 75 or 80 to get a little lower flight around the greens, or maybe a little less spin off the driver. Imho, the Chrome Soft is definitely worth a try.
[/quote]
Nice review. You have reinforced some.of my findings. I found my putts rolling out a little more with the CS (a good thing as a couple putts I thought would be short made it to the hole). I also found it to spin a bit more off the driver (bad thing as for me that means big hooks).

Heard a different CS will be coming out in a month or so. The source wasn't sure if the modified ball would involve a change in compression, spin, both or something else. The statement was in response to my curiosity if Phil is actually playing the CS available to the public. Told the guy I'd read here someone said there is only one CS submission to the USGA.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but a Callaway rep was on "Inside the Ropes" and said that the Chrome Soft would spin a lot more with the wedges, but would spin less with the driver. Is that really possible? Have you guys found that to be true?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='Golfinnova' timestamp='1423376523' post='10909923']
[/quote]

[/quote]

What logic? Sorry you don't buy it but I don't have to prove to you nor anyone else what I feel, if you can't understand that then that's your problem. Chrome Soft simply doesn't perform for me like Super Soft, if it works for you then good for you.
[/quote]

No need to get upset. All other variables being equal, a multilayer urethane ball will spin more than a 2-piece surlyn/ionomer ball on just about every type of shot. As RPJET previously stated, your findings are likely due to variables between each swing.

I had been playing the 330RX the last year or two. I tried a box of the Chrome Soft. Hit them outside side by side and on a GC2 launch monitor. I only hit the driver outside. Overall, I really like the Chrome Soft and wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. On irons, side by side, I found that I was about a 1/3rd of a club longer. Really loved the feel on the putter (its very different but a good different) and on pitches/chips. My biggest challenge is off the driver where I like the 330RX more. It may be bad swings, but I felt that off the driver I had a lot more side spin. On a perfect swing, I didn't notice it... I just don't have many perfect swings. Has anyone else found that off the driver there is more side spin. Curious if this was just me.

[quote name='sg1' timestamp='1423409487' post='10911023']
I had been playing the 330RX the last year or two. I tried a box of the Chrome Soft. Hit them outside side by side and on a GC2 launch monitor. I only hit the driver outside. Overall, I really like the Chrome Soft and wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. On irons, side by side, I found that I was about a 1/3rd of a club longer. Really loved the feel on the putter (its very different but a good different) and on pitches/chips. My biggest challenge is off the driver where I like the 330RX more. It may be bad swings, but I felt that off the driver I had a lot more side spin. On a perfect swing, I didn't notice it... I just don't have many perfect swings. Has anyone else found that off the driver there is more side spin. Curious if this was just me.
[/quote]

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1423409226' post='10910997']
[quote name='Golfinnova' timestamp='1423376523' post='10909923']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No need to get upset. All other variables being equal, a multilayer urethane ball will spin more than a 2-piece surlyn/ionomer ball on just about every type of shot. As RPJET previously stated, your findings are likely due to variables between each swing.
[/quote][color=#282828]Thanks for explaining Storm319. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. In retrospect, I could have stated my opinion a bit more delicately. [/color]

No problem, it's cool. I really want to like this ball as Callaway has made some winners with Chrome and Supersoft but for some unexplained reason, this ball will run out on chips and pitches.

I still have about 3 sleeves left as well as the 2 pack I got when I bought the box so I'll continue to play them. Maybe things will change as the temps continue to rise.

I'm new on WRX, so I doubt many of you will put much stock in what I have to say, but here goes!

I bought a dozen of the Callaway Chrome Soft before my round yesterday, at the recommendation of my swing coach. I shot 68 on a course I've only played a few times, and it was playing firm and fast with a good amount of intermittent wind and brief light showers. My SS averages around 120 and I couldn't imagine liking a ball like this in a million years. Everything played similar to the Chrome + I've been gaming for about a year and a half now, with some expected and some unexpected differences.

Off the tee- my distance was very similar to my gamer, played a tad bit straighter. My drives were between 290 and 330, which is great given the cooler weather and being at sea level. Hit a lot of fairways. I have a very flat trajectory with the big dog, usually launching around 14*, hovering around 2k spin. Nothing looked different here.

Irons/Full Wedges- My cut and draw dispersion were a bit tighter than I was used to, which took a few holes to get used to. I didn't notice any distance change. I had read about lower trajectory with the wedges, but I didn't notice any change there.The real benefit was on partial/feel shots. I felt like I could hit any club any distance I wanted with good control, like the balata days. I was pin high on nearly every hole. I came up a full club short out of a fairway bunker. I am pretty positive I caught it very flush and had the yardage right, but it'll take more testing for me to know for sure.

Around the green/ within 100 yards- My feel was amazing. High flops, low running chips, pitch from rough, all good stuff. I was even 3 for 3 in green side sand saves. Trajectory was a little different than I was used to, but had perfect action on firm greens- check and a little roll.

Putting felt awkward, but the results were very good. Felt like I was just brushing them in after I got used to the low compression.

But the real good news is that after 18 holes with one ball, there was the faintest marking on it, despite striking a cart path on one hole and being a higher-spin player who chews up a Chrome + every three holes or so with wedges.

There will be people who just don't like the feel of it, others who buy cheaper golf balls as a rule, and of course brand loyalists. This isn't to sway you, this is for the player who thinks this ball won't perform. I'd invest in a sleeve and give it a shot. I'm pretty certain I've found my new gamer. If this was helpful to anyone, I'll post a follow up after my round Wednesday. Thanks for reading!

[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1423435258' post='10913039']
I'm new on WRX, so I doubt many of you will put much stock in what I have to say, but here goes!

I bought a dozen of the Callaway Chrome Soft before my round yesterday, at the recommendation of my swing coach. I shot 68 on a course I've only played a few times, and it was playing firm and fast with a good amount of intermittent wind and brief light showers. My SS averages around 120 and I couldn't imagine liking a ball like this in a million years. Everything played similar to the Chrome + I've been gaming for about a year and a half now, with some expected and some unexpected differences.

Off the tee- my distance was very similar to my gamer, played a tad bit straighter. My drives were between 290 and 330, which is great given the cooler weather and being at sea level. Hit a lot of fairways. I have a very flat trajectory with the big dog, usually launching around 14*, hovering around 2k spin. Nothing looked different here.

Irons/Full Wedges- My cut and draw dispersion were a bit tighter than I was used to, which took a few holes to get used to. I didn't notice any distance change. I had read about lower trajectory with the wedges, but I didn't notice any change there.The real benefit was on partial/feel shots. I felt like I could hit any club any distance I wanted with good control, like the balata days. I was pin high on nearly every hole. I came up a full club short out of a fairway bunker. I am pretty positive I caught it very flush and had the yardage right, but it'll take more testing for me to know for sure.

Around the green/ within 100 yards- My feel was amazing. High flops, low running chips, pitch from rough, all good stuff. I was even 3 for 3 in green side sand saves. Trajectory was a little different than I was used to, but had perfect action on firm greens- check and a little roll.

Putting felt awkward, but the results were very good. Felt like I was just brushing them in after I got used to the low compression.

But the real good news is that after 18 holes with one ball, there was the faintest marking on it, despite striking a cart path on one hole and being a higher-spin player who chews up a Chrome + every three holes or so with wedges.

There will be people who just don't like the feel of it, others who buy cheaper golf balls as a rule, and of course brand loyalists. This isn't to sway you, this is for the player who thinks this ball won't perform. I'd invest in a sleeve and give it a shot. I'm pretty certain I've found my new gamer. If this was helpful to anyone, I'll post a follow up after my round Wednesday. Thanks for reading!
[/quote]I was watching the PGA (Farmers Insurance) today and would expect to see you out there?

[/quote]

Welcome to the forum, Davey, and thanks for the review.

Love the avatar! I was a huge BR fan as a kid.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Current ball is the C+. Played 9 each with the CS and C+ Friday and Saturday. Like most have said, feel off the irons and around/on the greens is really nice. Feel if the driver was meh, couldn't tell where on the face I was hitting it and it for me it doesn't seem nearly as hot as the C+. Definitely not changing as long as I can get my hands on the C+ and then back to the PV1x I guess.

Ping 425 Max 10.5* Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.0

Cobra Rad Tour 17.5* Hzrdus RDX Blue 6.0

Cobra Rad Hyb 21*, 24* Hzrdus RDX Black 6.0

Bridgestone J15CB 5-P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Vokey SM7 50* 

Vokey SM10 54/S

Vokey SM9 60/D

Scotty Select Newport 2

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1423435859' post='10913089']

[/quote]I was watching the PGA (Farmers Insurance) today and would expect to see you out there?
[/quote]

Not quite. They don't have to stop by Roger Dunn for a dozen balls before a round. The course I was playing is Los Verdes, decidedly a good 10 strokes or so easier than Torrey any day of the week. Sure would be nice, though!