2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Mizuno isn't JDM?

Nessism

Was just told Mizuno MX-23's are not JDM. Pretty sure the head was forged and finished in Japan. If a head is sold around the world does that discredit it as a JDM product?

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1417984008' post='10558375']
Was just told Mizuno MX-23's are not JDM. Pretty sure the head was forged and finished in Japan. If a head is sold around the world does that discredit it as a JDM product?
[/quote]

Probably only to the JDM nutjobs.

In my mind it doesn't exclude them.

If you're one of the JDM nutjobs.....I'm only kidding.

mostly

JDM stands for Japanese Domestic Market meaning products designed and marketed to be sold in the Japanese market. The term JDM has nothing to do with where the company is based or where the product is actually produced (TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist all have JDM offerings even though these companies are US based and the product is produced primarily in China).

The MX-23 was not JDM as it was marketed to multiple markets.

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1417985928' post='10558511']
[/quote]

So MX-23 was not sold in Japan then? Um, okay.

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1417987534' post='10558603']
[/quote]

[/quote]

He may mean "exclusively" for the Japanese Market.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

What difference does it make if it's JDM or not?

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

The best part about this thread is the coining of "JDM nutjobs"

That said, I would agree that if something isn't sold in Japan, can't be called jdm.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1417987951' post='10558619']
[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1417987534' post='10558603']
[/quote]

[/quote]

He may mean "exclusively" for the Japanese Market.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know what he meant. I just disagree. To me Mizuno's are JDM product by virtue of them being made in Japan and sold in Japan. Add the fact that Mizuno is a Japanese owned company too. JDM does not need to equate to exotic.

As I understand it, JDM means that they are sold to the Japanese market, so if the MX-23's were sold in Japan then there would be both JDM and USDM versions of the MX-23 depending on where they were sold. I doubt that there would really be any difference between the two so its all semantics anyways.

Ping G30
Titleist 915 F
Ping Rapture Hybrid 21
Mizuno MP15 4-PW
Vokey SM6 50, 56, 60
Byron Morgan DH89

Those who adhere to the idea that JDM is somehow superior to USDM, don't generally like JDM being lumped in with anything that is also sold abroad in a mass market type of approach - I guess this is where I generally ask" What difference does it make?" - And when that pandora's box is opened, we typically get way off topic...

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1417993518' post='10559007']
Those who adhere to the idea that JDM is somehow superior to USDM, don't generally like JDM being lumped in with anything that is also sold abroad in a mass market type of approach - I guess this is where I generally ask" What difference does it make?" - And when that pandora's box is opened, we typically get way off topic...
[/quote]

We get it already. You're beating a dead horse. You hate JDM and people that prefer JDM clubs. :rolleyes:

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

[/quote]

I agree with you.

I'm selling some 23's and offered them up to someone advertising for JDM, only to be snubbed. Was told they only play JDM.

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1417997589' post='10559297']
[/quote]

I agree with you.

I'm selling some 23's and offered them up to someone advertising for JDM, only to be snubbed. Was told they only play JDM.
[/quote]

Soooooo, the question is, did you laugh out loud or just get quiet and extremely puzzled that someone just straight faced told you that? I love Japanese golf gear for many reasons, but I think anyone that takes themselves so seriously as to "only play JDM" is the bad apple that ruins the bunch as this is the guy that most JDM bashers are talking about....

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1417999493' post='10559411']
[/quote]

I agree with you.

[/quote]

Soooooo, the question is, did you laugh out loud or just get quiet and extremely puzzled that someone just straight faced told you that? I love Japanese golf gear for many reasons, but I think anyone that takes themselves so seriously as to "only play JDM" is the bad apple that ruins the bunch as this is the guy that [i][b]most JDM bashers are talking about....[/b][/i]
[/quote]

Yes. JDM nutjob.

Given the D stands for Domestic I've always considered JDM products to be those ONLY sold to the domestic market in Japan. If something is sold in more than one country then it's not really domestic - just like I can't take a domestic flight to an international destination.

I therefore agree with the "JDM nut job" that those particular Mizuno are not JDM. As to wheter that makes any sort of difference is a another discussion...

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

Does not mean my Onoff 2013 Forged Irons not JDM even though I ordered it directly from Japan? Now I am SAD. I know Onoff is sold here in US but Mostly in high end boutique golf shops.

With kidding aside. I would consider them JDM clubs if Roger Dunn, Golfsmith and other major golf outlet DON'T carry them. You have to buy the clubs from specialized boutique golf shop.

I would consider that JDM.

Just my opinion.

The similar head was sold in the Japanese market under the T-Zoid brand with different shafts and a different stamping on the head. The non-Japanese MX-23 would technically not be a JDM product, since they were not sold in Japan. The heads were forged and finished in Japan, then assembled in Norcross GA.

(None of them conform to the 2010 groove rule, btw.)

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1418038793' post='10561067']
The similar head was sold in the Japanese market under the T-Zoid brand with different shafts and a different stamping on the head. The non-Japanese MX-23 would technically not be a JDM product, since they were not sold in Japan. The heads were forged and finished in Japan, then assembled in Norcross GA.

(None of them conform to the 2010 groove rule, btw.)
[/quote]

Weren't those the mx20s that had the Japanese counterpart? Mizuno TZoid Comp Plus is what I was trying to remember.

My understanding of it is that unless the club was designed and marketed specifically for the Japanese market it isn't JDM.

A good example is Taylormade. They make USDM and JDM versions of the SLDR that are slightly different in appearance. It doesn't matter who made it or where it was made, only the intended market is what matters.

I personally could care less though, but it is what it is.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

[/quote]

I agree with you.

[/quote]

Soooooo, the question is, did you laugh out loud or just get quiet and extremely puzzled that someone just straight faced told you that? I love Japanese golf gear for many reasons, but I think anyone that takes themselves so seriously as to "only play JDM" is the bad apple that ruins the bunch as this is the guy that most JDM bashers are talking about....
[/quote]

He should laugh at someone for not wanting his MX23's in a trade, when the ad says trade for JDM only I'd guess? They aren't JDM so let's refrain from jumping on someone else for what really amounts to a trade offer that doesn't make sense.

Didn't realize there are so many JDM bashers here, although I shouldn't be surprised with the way this forums going lately.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1418044419' post='10561241']
[/quote]

I agree with you.

[/quote]

[/quote]

He should laugh at someone for not wanting his MX23's in a trade, when the ad says trade for JDM only I'd guess? They aren't JDM so let's refrain from jumping on someone else for what really amounts to a trade offer that doesn't make sense.

Didn't realize there are so many JDM bashers here, although I shouldn't be surprised with the way this forums going lately.
[/quote]

Ah, my bad. I'm starting to see the light.

- A club that was forged in Japan and sold by a Japanese company is not JDM unless it's exclusive to the Japanese home market.

- A club forged in Thailand and sold by an offshore company (Titlest for example) IS JDM as long as it's targeted to the Japanese market.

- JDM aficionados are not snobs. :nono:

In all seriousness now, I do appreciate many of the super cool clubs being sold in Japan. The Japanese are fanatical about quality, and as someone that has worked in the quality field for many years I appreciate that. Guess I'm just surprised that someone would turn their nose up on some Mizuno's because they are not JDM. If that's not snobbery I don't know what is.

[quote name='phizzy30' timestamp='1417995623' post='10559179']
[/quote]

We get it already. You're beating a dead horse. You hate JDM and people that prefer JDM clubs. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Easy there Tiger...I have no issue with JDM or people who prefer JDM products...My "issue" if that's how you want to term it is with the idea/concept there is something inherently superior about clubs made specifically for the Japanese market - In point of fact, I love the premise that people can buy whatever they want for whatever reason they want...but that doesn't mean they aren't opening themselves up for criticism when they state patently ridiculous things...namely that JDM is superior to USDM...

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1418044419' post='10561241']
[/quote]

I agree with you.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I apologize for not knowing apparently as much as others about the specifics. Yes, JDM, is in fact for their domestic market only. Read my signature, I am far from a JDM basher, but also as my signature suggests, I don't care if something is JDM or japanese made, as this is where it gets nutjobby. I am a firm believer in japanese quality of forged heads, after that is semantics as to where the same product produced is meant to be sold. Are Vegas any worse than yururis becuase one is JDM and the other is international? Same forging house, same catolog head? Mizuno falls somewhere a little outside of this, but the reasons people claim to want JDM (I am one of these people) are lost on me when a japanese made product that meets these requirements is not good enough becuase of its intended market. At that point you are placing the premium on exclusivity and not performance.

Ok, hesitated to respond to this idiotic, whining rant but I am the guy in question or the snubber or the jdm snob etc. etc. etc. Here in totality is my interaction with the op of this thread.

"[color=#282828]Hey thanx, but I'm really looking for jdm as that is what I've been playing for a number of years now."[/color]

[color=#282828]I could have said I don't want some game improvement shovel for a 3 iron then I could expect wounded feelings but simply looking at my signature would show I'm looking for more of a players iron. But to take this all so personally on just a basic statement as what I sent him above is a little awkward and weird to me. In multiple posts with a little research (isn't that what the content button is for) this individual would find that Mizuno irons is something I have played for years and years and wrote glowing reports on ie. 29's two sets, 33's, 37's, 59's, 68's (all players irons BTW). In fairness to him I guess I could have said I am looking for Epon, Vega, Miura, Onoff etc. etc. etc. but hey my bad. But I am not a Mizuno hater, but I do believe I retain the right to buy what pleases me and play what pleases me. If Mizuno's are considered Jdm fine, but I don't want a Mizuno that is all just like a Honma wouldn't interest me. Don't start a thread based on one little statement. You need a hug or something? Yeesh.[/color]

Ping 410 9.0

Ping g425 14.5 3 wood 

New Level 21* bent to 20* driving iron

Taylormade M4 5 wood
Wilson Staff tour cb 5-7, FG tour v6 8-pw

New Level 902pd 5-pw 105 TT stiff (on their way)
Titleist sm7 50-10 F, 56-10 F, 60-8wedge flex
3 #7 style mallets: Taylormade, Cleveland and Tommy Armour

[quote name='BTO' timestamp='1418064075' post='10562785']
Ok, hesitated to respond to this idiotic, whining rant but I am the guy in question or the snubber or the jdm snob etc. etc. etc. Here in totality is my interaction with the op of this thread.

"[color=#282828]Hey thanx, but I'm really looking for jdm as that is what I've been playing for a number of years now."[/color]

[color=#282828]I could have said I don't want some game improvement shovel for a 3 iron then I could expect wounded feelings but simply looking at my signature would show I'm looking for more of a players iron. But to take this all so personally on just a basic statement as what I sent him above is a little awkward and weird to me. In multiple posts with a little research (isn't that what the content button is for) this individual would find that Mizuno irons is something I have played for years and years and wrote glowing reports on ie. 29's two sets, 33's, 37's, 59's, 68's (all players irons BTW). In fairness to him I guess I could have said I am looking for Epon, Vega, Miura, Onoff etc. etc. etc. but hey my bad. But I am not a Mizuno hater, but I do believe I retain the right to buy what pleases me and play what pleases me. If Mizuno's are considered Jdm fine, but I don't want a Mizuno that is all just like a Honma wouldn't interest me. Don't start a thread based on one little statement. You need a hug or something? Yeesh.[/color]
[/quote]

This is too funny. You expect me to research your personal posting history to see what kind of clubs you play before responding to a WTB ad? Even if I had, do you realize that Tiger Woods played with a GI 3-iron bent strong as a driving iron? Assuming isn't good.

What did surprise me is your assertion that a forged club made in Japan is not JDM. I honestly had no idea the term was defined this way. On further reflection the term itself is pretty stupid. Thailand made clubs are "in" as long as they are only sold in Japan, but a Japanese made club that's sold around the world is "out". My bad for not understanding the vernacular.

The entire situation has opened my eye's about the JDM snobbery. It's almost comical really.

Good luck with your search.