Minimalist Thread ... Bag Set up Theory

student of the game

Hmm, interesting question. I hadn't considered it as I don't have a home course and don't maintain an official handicap. I have a feeling many players who enjoy minimalist golf are the same...we're not in it for the scores exactly. I also don't have any desire to play tournaments so it's a non issue for me. The question also presupposes scoring worse with fewer clubs which many of us find to not actually be the case, contrary to what many people think and expect.

But, I see what you're saying. I don't think it's specific to minimalist golf though. If someone enjoys going out and playing rounds with their buddies while having some drinks and knows they don't play quite as well when drinking and chatting with their buddies as they do in a tournament setting when they're fully focussed on the game, is it then unethical to post those scores for handicap purposes?

I don't know the answer, but it's an intriguing question to consider.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I could be wrong, but the way I understand handicapping is that the terminology calls for the "stipulated" round. I know that when I am out on a practice round for a tournament I don't post the score as I am hitting all kinds of shots, extra putts, etc.

I do a minimalist bag sometimes, especially during HS golf season (I coach). I play with other coaches at matches or with my players during practice. I don't count my scores in any of these rounds as I am working on stuff and just enjoying the company of others.

Most of the rounds that I count are official tournament rounds played at scratch. However, if I am playing in a round with friends or going out on my own to really "play" a round of golf then I score it if a "stipulated" round is called for. I determine ahead of time that everything will count and it is official. I have never been in the mindset that every time you go on a golf course you have to score it officially and play by every rule. If I'm playing against others or I want to test myself then yes. I play enough that I get plenty of "stipulated" handicap rounds so my index is legit.

But to the point about handicaps being off using a minimalist bag, this is one reason I stay away from handicap tournaments. In the long run I don't think it would make a huge difference.

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='KARL M' timestamp='1442572320' post='12330008']
8 clubs

putter
56 or 58* wedge
Pitching wedge
8 iron
6 iron
4 hybrid
5 wood
driver

There is one ethical issue that hasn't been addressed.

I would Assume a person posts all their scores for handicap purposes.
A person plays with only a handful of clubs most of time in a lightweight carry bag because he finds it more enjoyable.
The person knows he doesn't score quite as well with the partial set and his handicap is primarily based on the minimalist set of clubs.
He then uses 14 clubs in a tournament that uses his USGA handicap.

Is there an ethical issue with the person creating a higher handicap than he would have if he always used 14 clubs.

Is there any rule that would stop someone from shooting 20 rounds with nothing but a 5 iron, post all the scores, and then play 14 clubs for a handicaped tournament ?
[/quote]

I think you will find that many, if not most, people will score about the same with 8 or 14 clubs in the bag. This is probably even more true for tournament players. Several years ago there was a study with multiple (100's) of golfers that the Colorado Golf Association quoted in a newsletter that indicated 8 or 9 clubs (with the proper gapping) was the optimal number. More or less resulted in higher scores.

I realize that 14 is the "official" number, but that does not mean it is the right number.

drn92

[quote name='drn92' timestamp='1442633660' post='12334026']
[quote name='KARL M' timestamp='1442572320' post='12330008']
8 clubs

putter
56 or 58* wedge
Pitching wedge
8 iron
6 iron
4 hybrid
5 wood
driver

There is one ethical issue that hasn't been addressed.

I would Assume a person posts all their scores for handicap purposes.
A person plays with only a handful of clubs most of time in a lightweight carry bag because he finds it more enjoyable.
The person knows he doesn't score quite as well with the partial set and his handicap is primarily based on the minimalist set of clubs.
He then uses 14 clubs in a tournament that uses his USGA handicap.

Is there an ethical issue with the person creating a higher handicap than he would have if he always used 14 clubs.

Is there any rule that would stop someone from shooting 20 rounds with nothing but a 5 iron, post all the scores, and then play 14 clubs for a handicaped tournament ?
[/quote]

I think you will find that many, if not most, people will score about the same with 8 or 14 clubs in the bag. This is probably even more true for tournament players. Several years ago there was a study with multiple (100's) of golfers that the Colorado Golf Association quoted in a newsletter that indicated 8 or 9 clubs (with the proper gapping) was the optimal number. More or less resulted in higher scores.

I realize that 14 is the "official" number, but that does not mean it is the right number.

drn92
[/quote]

That's a great point!

It is fantastic that minimalist golf set ups are getting some run on this site, but let's get it clear: No one (I repeat) NO ONE should be telling someone else how to play, or if a method is lesser than another (unless we're talking about long putters or square grooves lol).

I took up the minimalist set up when my ball striking got so awful I had to try something else. I went out on at 6700 yard course with 7 clubs and shot 80. Not my best round, but I had a blast doing it. The game was fun again. Did I hit some janky shots.... Sure, but I hit one amazing cut 6 iron to a back right pin from 150 (or so) out.

Now I only play w the small bag. It's funner (for me), it has improved my scores, it's cheaper to buy new irons (I only need 3 or 4 depending on my strategy on pw) and I tend to walk more.

Is it for everyone? NO! Is for every round? Maybe not.

I don't dog on folks that play with 16 clubs, because we are not getting paid by sponsors and tournaments. We are PAYING to play a game.

I would recommend this style of play to anyone (especially beginners), but I would not push it.

Have a great time out there and be sure to use sun screen.

I definitely love minimalist bags. I've been doing this for years and enjoy the game more.

My set-up:

Driver 10.5
5W 18 with shorter shaft by 1"
5-PW irons
54* wedge
Putter

The most important to me is to have the right shafts on every clubs, and get the best combo forgiveness/look. This is the trickiest part, at least for my irons.

I really think now that my putter and my driver are the best I can get. Wedge and irons...well, you can always improve, but if I give myself a chance to get used to them, this should work.

The hardest is the go-to-player in between driver and 5 iron. This club is really hard to find for me.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1314928-timbleking-witb-16/"]WITB Link[/url]

Great thread. I'm not a true minimalist yet but play with 12 and don't see myself ever going back to 14. I want to be confident with all my clubs and keeping 14 in top working order and to hit them enough is a challenge. Not all 14 clubs see enough action during a regular round. So I play much better with 12 I know.

My bag:
Driver 12*
7w 21*
4h 22*
6-gw
53*, 58*
Putter

• TaylorMade SIM Max (12°, GD Tour AD IZ 6 S)
  • TBD - 7w
  • TaylorMade SIM Max2 4h (22°, Fuji Ventus Blue 6 R)
  • TaylorMade SIM Max2 5h (25°, Fuji Ventus Blue 6 R)
  • Titleist T300 (6-G, SteelFiber i110cw R)
  • Titleist SM9 (52°-12F, 58°-10S, Steelfiber i110cw R)
  • Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K (Double Wide Stoke Lab Red)
  • ProV1x

Working on trimming down my 9 clubs to either 8 or 7.

I now have 2W, 3H, 4i,6i,8i,PW, 54, 60

I am thinking about dropping the 3H and 4i and replacing with one 4h.
Also thinking about dropping the 54 and 60 and replacing with a single 56

The first change is easy - no heart burn
The second would lose some gapping but help me again drop weight and get down to 7 clubs.

I played all my HS matches with only a PW and 56 so its been done. I'm just used to a 3 wedge set up now.

I have found going to just a PW and 56 to be really great. I find the 56 incredibly versatile and I use it for everything inside 110y pretty much. For my game at least a lob wedge is just rarely used and I find I can do decent just opening up my 56.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I've recently pulled out my 19 degree hybrid and my 5 iron. Still 12 clubs, but I am loving the weight difference so far.

I could easily play the following of mine:

CB5 16.5
22 deg hybrid
PW
Putter

for a total of 6 clubs, and I know I would score just the same. The above setup would provide approximately 30 yard gaps....

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='slide13' timestamp='1442807453' post='12342450']
I have found going to just a PW and 56 to be really great. I find the 56 incredibly versatile and I use it for everything inside 110y pretty much. For my game at least a lob wedge is just rarely used and I find I can do decent just opening up my 56.
[/quote]

Agreed. Although I don't play a 56*, having a good grind on your club in this 54-56* range makes it a very easy adjustment. Nice thing is that its also very easy to build multiple set ups once you've gotten used to the idea.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I've never played with less than 14 clubs, but what I will do sometime, is use all all 13 clubs (excluding putter) but you have to hit each club once, before you hit a club again. This really only works at a course you a familiar with so you know more about what holes you really need to hit driver/ 3wood/ hybrid and which holes you can hit an iron off the tee. It really tests your shot making ability better than any thing I have done.I've also heard that Bubba will sometimes take only a hybrid to a course and play. No putter or anything. Talk about a test of patience. But if I could only use 9 clubs I would go putter, sw, pw, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, hybrid, 3 wood.

I see some setups where a fairway wood is the longest club, but I would think about keeping a driver in a minimalist setup. For me, I really don't need a FW off the deck all that often (and if I actually "needed" it, 2 iron shots is probably a safer play anyway) and I really like having a driver off the tee. I would rather have to hit 7i/W instead of 3w off the deck, for example, twice per round, than be 20-30 yards short off every tee. My full bag is 10 clubs, and sometimes I carry even fewer (really depends on the yardages of par 3s and what irons I need), but I never drop the driver.

Ping G410+ 

Ping G25 4W

Ping G 3H

Ping I200

Ping Glide 3.0 54WS 58WS

Ping Bruzer

MacKenzie Walker

The thing with a 3 wood is its versatile. Its long enough off the tee to replace a driver in most cases and can be used off the deck as well. When you're cutting down on clubs the driver becomes awfully specialized and limited in versatility. Also, most people don't have a 2 iron...or even a 3 iron. The longest iron I own is a 4. So for me, my 7 club bag is 3w, 4/6/8/P, 56, putter. For 8 clubs I'll add in my driver. The courses I play are all reachable in regulation with a 3 wood and I have a better chance of hitting fairways with my 3 wood. So it's not a bad way to go for me. Shorter irons into greens are nice, but so is being in the fairway which is more likely with my 3 wood than my driver.

5 clubs for me. 3W, 5, 8, PW + putter. Fantastic way to pratice your short game. And see shots. Seve and Trevino only used 1 wedge. I'm thinking of adding a 54 or 56. Still testing. + I also play a lot of 1 club golf. 8 iron is my go to. Nothing like walking a course with only 1 club. I find it really freeing. And light.

Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW
Nike Engage 54 SQ
Ping Anser Milled 0
Nike RZN Prototype + RZN Tour Platinum

• 1 year later...

Been doing it on and off the last year with some vintage persimmons and blades.

M85W SEOM 2 wood

2,4,6,8 Spalding TF Professional

Hogan 88 Redline Equalizer

John Letters 50ish SW

Spalding Cash n Carry putter.

Really frees one up to play with more creativity.

Almost identical to the set up I carry , old school top flights 2-4-6-8 irons, pw, sand, putter. 3 wood.

• 1 month later...

I've been doing this for a while, and my scores are the same or better (82-88). I initially did it by thinking of the old terms for clubs, vis-a-vis their purpose rather than their loft/number. My current set:

Play club: Callaway Mini 1.5 14*

Fairway club: Callaway Steelhead 7W 20*

Long iron: Cobra Max 5H 25*

Mid iron: Cobra Max 7i 31.5*

Short iron: Cobra Max 9i 40*

Wedge #1: Cobra Max 50*

Wedge #2: Ping Anser 60*

Putter

My play club is reliable off the tee, and doubles as a long fairway option. The six to eight degree differences in my irons ensures that I take enough club for 3-pars and approaches; like most mid/high amateurs, I'm rarely at risk for flying the green. I know that ten degrees difference in the bottom of my set seems like a lot, but it actually underscores picking clubs for purpose rather than by the numbers. My 9 iron is very versatile for all kinds of shots 110 yards and in (at least for me). Wedge #1 is used for almost all of my chipping and pitching, using Dave Stockton's approach of simply choosing between a high or low shot and using the same club. Wedge #2, with its high loft and low bounce, is a necessity, being there only to deal with the infamous hard 'dirt' bunkers of Tucson's city courses (although it does bother me to include a club for only one purpose, it is money out of green side bunkers).

I'm also working out with my old Nibick 42* as a possibly more versatile replacement for my Wedge #1. Again, forget lofts. Although it's only 2* weaker than the nine iron, it plays more like a 52* gap wedge.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got out today with:

Driver

2i

5i

7i

9i

56*

64*

Putter

Shot my best score in 6 months. I need to drop the 64* (or become more discipline with it). The game was simpler and if I wasn't putting terribly (36 putts, didn't make anything outside 3' after the third hole) it would've been better.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Walking/carry bag -

Driver

5H

7i

PW

SW 56*

putter

Don't score too much different than regular setup... covers most distances.

TEE EXS 10.5* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 2G 60 R
Sub 70 939X 5w 18* PX 5.5
Sub 70 939X 4h 21* PX 5.5
Sub 70 739 5-AW KBS Tour V 90 R
Ben Hogan Equalizer 56*, 60* KBS Tour V 110 S
Kingston Putters KP2

I travel a lot so I have just the minimal set up I need, they are old clubs so I don't really care if they get too bang up in transit.

I just use old TM T300 all odd numbers 3-pw and an only Mizuno Tm4 sand wedge that along with my older Odyssey putter and I'm set. If I'm playing while I'm travelling I don't care about bashing it way out there. It also give me a different look at the course. I don't carry a driver so I'm hit my approaches from different distance which allows me to work on a part of my game that I don't when I'm using my usual setup.

that is my thinking behind the whole thing, more of a function over fashion.

3 wood

3-5-7-9 irons

PW

SW

putter

That's normally my small set. Maybe a 19° hybrid instead of the 3 iron, depending.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

The course dictates whether I bring a driver or 3 wood for a minimalist bag. Generally, it's as follows for me:

Either driver or 3 wood

5 wood

Irons: 4, 6, 8, PW

52 and 58 degree wedges

Putter

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I have a crappy 9 hole executive course that I play on weeknights during the season instead of going to the range and I've been thinking about bringing along a minimal set and carrying. I'm planning to get a Jones original carry bag, my old driver/hybrid/wedges will remain in this bag and I'll just have to swap in my 3 irons from my main bag. I'll probably pick up a used putter of some sort at the NJ golf show this coming month. I also have an old set of GI irons that can be swapped in to make a guest set.

Setup will be as follows:

D-10.5

H-18

4/6/8

46/56

P

This is a really cool idea. I do this when I go out and play three or four quick holes, but never thought to make a full set of clubs. When I thought minimize I would strip my bag of everything besides a bottle of water, a few tees, and a ball. I do this once a year to relive my junior days when I carried my clubs. I always think the same thing when I'm done the round "that wasn't so bad, I'll do that more often". This is followed by waking up the next morning and taking a few pain killers thinking "that's why I don't carry my bag anymore haha".

Taylormade Stealth 9

Ping G410 17.5

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20

Callaway Rogue Pro ST 23

Srixon ZX4 5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW

Titliest SM8 51, 56, 61

Nike 001

Titliest ProV1