8.5* Driver
15* 3-Wood
18* 5-Wood
20* Hybrid
23* Hybrid
25* Hybrid

First iron is a 6-Iron.

She can really play those hybrids too!

Probably a good set for lots of us to copy.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• 2 years later...

Found a close up of the 6 wood in question, looks to be a dick de la cruz persimmon 6 wood

[media=]

[/media]

That's a more recent (if something from the 80s can be called recent) version. The story was Bert Dargie made the first one for Lee. Dargie also made the 5 wood Ray Floyd used so well when he won The Masters.

• Like 1

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Later in his career when he was playing Taylor Made he carried one of those Raylors that had about 25 degrees loft on it. I remember in a skins game he stuff a shot tight from a fairway bunker with it, he was raving about it will being interviewed by Rossie or someone.

I assume his 6 wood would have 25* loft?

Wood club specs were usually

Driver 11*

3 wood 16*

4 wood 19*

5 wood 22*

6 wood 25*

I remember reading Billy Casper carried a 6 wood as well.

I remember the Skins Game conversation as well. I remember Trevino and Herman (his caddie) discussing the shot beforehand and I've never forgotten what he said. He said that normally he wouldn't have tried to hit that shot because usually "if you hit a wood in a bunker, you've got wood in your head" but then he went on to explain the fairway wood that he had bent and modified to turn it into a 6 wood.

Back in the day, every club pro I knew carried a driver, a Taylormade tour spoon and a Baffler TS model (I think it was between a 4 and 5 wood...maybe 20-22 degrees of loft). You could hit those babies out of any lie, rough or bare. I carried a Baffler 2 wood for a few years back in those days. It was fantastic for hitting off the tee on a tight hole and it was a screamer off the fairway as well. Loved that club. Wish I still had it.

Good memories!

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

• 3 months later...

Later in his career when he was playing Taylor Made he carried one of those Raylors that had about 25 degrees loft on it. I remember in a skins game he stuff a shot tight from a fairway bunker with it, he was raving about it will being interviewed by Rossie or someone.

I assume his 6 wood would have 25* loft?

Wood club specs were usually

Driver 11*

3 wood 16*

4 wood 19*

5 wood 22*

6 wood 25*

I remember reading Billy Casper carried a 6 wood as well.

I remember the Skins Game conversation as well. I remember Trevino and Herman (his caddie) discussing the shot beforehand and I've never forgotten what he said. He said that normally he wouldn't have tried to hit that shot because usually "if you hit a wood in a bunker, you've got wood in your head" but then he went on to explain the fairway wood that he had bent and modified to turn it into a 6 wood.

Back in the day, every club pro I knew carried a driver, a Taylormade tour spoon and a Baffler TS model (I think it was between a 4 and 5 wood...maybe 20-22 degrees of loft). You could hit those babies out of any lie, rough or bare. I carried a Baffler 2 wood for a few years back in those days. It was fantastic for hitting off the tee on a tight hole and it was a screamer off the fairway as well. Loved that club. Wish I still had it.

Good memories!

I had the TM tour cleek 19*. Loved that club still have the head laying around somewhere.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Grisse-

The four-railed Taylor Made Tour Cleek II, with 19 degrees loft, remained in my bag for over 25 years.

Have a Founders Club 19 degrees, as well as an Original Cobra Baffler 5 wood as back ups to the TM.

Lamont Mann reminded me that Dick De La Cruz (RIP) left this world earlier this year.

Think we might have a MacGregor Persimmon 6 wood among the prime pieces.

Hmmm...wintertime projects...

Grisse-

The three-railed Taylor Made Tour Cleek II, with 19 degrees loft, remained in my bag for over 25 years.

Like this one?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1458930497

A good club?

NZ-

No....A great club.

Perhaps one of the best golf clubs TM ever made, both RH and LH.

Was in my bag for over 25 years.

Note- My apologies, as it has four rails, so we corrected that.

Well to add to things I found an Spalding executive 6 wood on the pile today of course. Looks to be in great shape original regular shaft and grip

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I would agree with everything Trevino said except the business of hitting the ball out of the tall grass. Even the original 24* railor does not work well for me in the tall grass unless the ball is sitting tall and perky. I suppose I just do not have the strength to drive the head through the grass and, for me, it ends up sailing on top of the grass thereby topping the ball. That's why I still rely on the lofted irons.

Those lofted fairways had a lot of uses that the current generation is currently re discovering with the Hybrids. If I were in the States I would be haunting salvation army sales or the play it again stores for those long ago gems.

Shambles

Around here the most of the "Play it Again" have gone out of business.

There are still a few Salvation Army stores. Numbers haven't changed much.

However many other newer Thrift stores have popped up Goodwill and others.

Its completely hit or miss. It depends more on the store mgr. and chain profile if they have any golf items and if anything is worthwhile.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

• 1 month later...
Grisse-

The three-railed Taylor Made Tour Cleek II, with 19 degrees loft, remained in my bag for over 25 years.

Like this one?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1458930497

A good club?

NZ-

No....A great club.

Perhaps one of the best golf clubs TM ever made, both RH and LH.

Was in my bag for over 25 years.

Note- My apologies, as it has four rails, so we corrected that.

So I waited it out, it's been re-listed 3-4 times since and just tonight snared it for USD3.50. Can't complain about that. Should go nicely with my Eye 2 BeCu set from the other thread..

Well to add to things I found an Spalding executive 6 wood on the pile today of course. Looks to be in great shape original regular shaft and grip

are those clubs worth a damn? Seems every thrift around here has 4-5 executive woods in their bins and I just keep passing them over.

Then they should be cheap when that plentiful. Why not pick up a couple and give them a try? It's not likely to cost much and you will then know for yourself. I had a set myself that I bought with a full bag of clubs a number of years ago. The driver is gone, but the 3 & 5 are still here in very good condition. IMO the Executives are every bit as playable as any of my other laminates -- PB Citation and Stan Thompson woods -- that I've had an opportunity to hit.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Lee Trevino likely saw his first 6-wood at Bert Dargie Golf in Memphis, Tennessee.

Mr Dargie's shop was a popular Tour destination for decades. Pros visited while playing the Memphis Open.

I had the great pleasure in meeting Mr Dargie several times during visits to his shop in the 1970s. He was a friendly and enthusiastic salesman of his clubs,

I have a driver he fit me for during that time. He had me hit several different clubs and shafts into the nets in the shop. That club was a keeper, my 1st ever graphite shafted driver, and is still greatly cherished.

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Lee Trevino likely saw his first 6-wood at Bert Dargie Golf in Memphis, Tennessee.

Mr Dargie's shop was a popular Tour destination for decades. Pros visited while playing the Memphis Open.

I had the great pleasure in meeting Mr Dargie several times during visits to his shop in the 1970s. He was a friendly and enthusiastic salesman of his clubs,

I have a driver he fit me for during that time. He had me hit several different clubs and shafts into the nets in the shop. That club was a keeper, my 1st ever graphite shafted driver, and is still greatly cherished.

Texsport

Interesting to read the advertising copy: "replaces long irons for rough or fairway." Very much like the idea behind hybrids now.

Don't know but Bert Dargie Golf has been around for 100 yrs.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

• 4 weeks later...

are those clubs worth a damn? Seems every thrift around here has 4-5 executive woods in their bins and I just keep passing them over.

Then they should be cheap when that plentiful. Why not pick up a couple and give them a try? It's not likely to cost much and you will then know for yourself. I had a set myself that I bought with a full bag of clubs a number of years ago. The driver is gone, but the 3 & 5 are still here in very good condition. IMO the Executives are every bit as playable as any of my other laminates -- PB Citation and Stan Thompson woods -- that I've had an opportunity to hit.

I'm not surprised that Executive woods and irons are plentiful in general. It was part of Spalding's pro line offerings from 1977-1989, and then available at K-Mart (along with other former pro line clubs such as the Spalding XL4 and Cannon, Maxfli Power Flange and Wilson 1200LT) through the mid 1990s.

That said, Stu's 6 wood has to be pretty rare.

I used to know a fellow who was a sales rep for Fansteel, the California casting house that provided the clubheads for Spalding, as well as for a number of other companies. He said that Spalding by far was the most demanding when it came to the quality of the clubheads. He also said that when he made a sales call to Spalding in Chicopee, MA, he was banned from setting foot inside the ball manufacturing part of the facility. They didn't want any of their trade secrets to be seen by anyone on the outside of the company.

Considering how Spalding is largely responsible for so many innovations in the game of golf, particularly when it comes to the solid core golf ball, it is beyond sad that they are no longer in the golf business today.

--Rory McIlroy 

IMHO they are sorta ok-- They do not hit or feel anything like a good Mac ,Ginty or Power Bilt sorta have a "harsh" feeling to me. In reality I hit a few balls on the range with it but have not really worked with it or tweaked it at this time

• 4 years later...
On 1/8/2015 at 11:25 AM, parpar41 said:

Great bit of history from 1982 and still entirely relevant information and advice.

I was just reading in another golf mag that Cobra introduced their Baffler ( a wooden utility club with 25 degrees of loft and a weighted sole plate) in 1973.

The inspiration for the first modern hybrid clubs, circa 1999.

Apparently the entire Cobra company started with the introduction of a single product, the Baffler.

Thanks for posting.

I have a wooden baffler like it describe with a graphite shaft. There is no greater club for getting out of the rough or bunkers except maybe a Ginty.

My modern woods are Ping 425 sft set at 17.5 and 23.5 and are so ready to hit High  and straight test it is laughsble

• Like 2

On 6/30/2022 at 6:05 AM, OsnolaKinnard said:

I have a wooden baffler like it describe with a graphite shaft. There is no greater club for getting out of the rough or bunkers except maybe a Ginty.

My modern woods are Ping 425 sft set at 17.5 and 23.5 and are so ready to hit High  and straight test it is laughsble

This is an old thread and glad you revived it. I may have said it before and I am too lazy to go back and look it up. Back in the 70s and 80s I played a little Northwesten Laminate 6 wood. A friend of my Old Man's was a pro from Florida turned me on to that. He played one and was very versitile with it. Showed me several tricks with it like Trevino. I ordered me one. carried it for years and got some crazy looks especially at Mini Tour events. Was odd when you think of it because I was a good long iron player and like my old man LOL I did not use head covers but had that 6 wood in there along with just a 4 FW and of course a K1- 1 iron. Carried that thing for 20 years until I finally split it wide open. What I learned with that thing carries over to my 7 wood today. It even reflects over to my vintage play today. Now days I carry a Macgregor Louise Suggs First Lady 6 wood. Original shaft and long leather wrap grip. Love that little wood. The before mentioned Spalding 6 wood I use in my 7 club set up and have been known to slide it into my main bag from time to time. I do switch up clubs sometimes depending on weather and the course I am playing. Even back in the day I thought outside the box of conventional thinking just the way I have always rolled. I also have a Ginty 7 wood at 29* I mess with some and in wet conditions it may find it's way into the main bag. Good for me in wet conditions because I am steep and it helps with me not going too steep

How are you health wise these days?

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BIG STU said:

This is an old thread and glad you revived it. I may have said it before and I am too lazy to go back and look it up. Back in the 70s and 80s I played a little Northwesten Laminate 6 wood. A friend of my Old Man's was a pro from Florida turned me on to that. He played one and was very versitile with it. Showed me several tricks with it like Trevino. I ordered me one. carried it for years and got some crazy looks especially at Mini Tour events. Was odd when you think of it because I was a good long iron player and like my old man LOL I did not use head covers but had that 6 wood in there along with just a 4 FW and of course a K1- 1 iron. Carried that thing for 20 years until I finally split it wide open. What I learned with that thing carries over to my 7 wood today. It even reflects over to my vintage play today. Now days I carry a Macgregor Louise Suggs First Lady 6 wood. Original shaft and long leather wrap grip. Love that little wood. The before mentioned Spalding 6 wood I use in my 7 club set up and have been known to slide it into my main bag from time to time. I do switch up clubs sometimes depending on weather and the course I am playing. Even back in the day I thought outside the box of conventional thinking just the way I have always rolled. I also have a Ginty 7 wood at 29* I mess with some and in wet conditions it may find it's way into the main bag. Good for me in wet conditions because I am steep and it helps with me not going too steep

How are you health wise these days?

Man I have been born again.

I can tell that the kidney is working because my brain fog is GONE.  It is like my brain is firing on all 8 cylinders instead of 7.  I sleep soundly, my restless legs and neuropathy in my feet are gone, and every day gets better.

I honestly had no idea how bad I felt until I felt what feeling good is.

I hear you on the trouble woods.  I don’t “work” the ball with one exception, my Ping 7 wood that I play week at almost 24*.  I can hit almost anything I want with that club, high, low, right, left, step on it to 210 or punch it down to about 160…I use it a lot.

I also have a 29* Ginty…my friends ridiculed me at how ugly it is until I launched one out of ankle deep rough about 175 onto the green to save par.

those little woods rock!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

Man I have been born again.

I can tell that the kidney is working because my brain fog is GONE.  It is like my brain is firing on all 8 cylinders instead of 7.  I sleep soundly, my restless legs and neuropathy in my feet are gone, and every day gets better.

I honestly had no idea how bad I felt until I felt what feeling good is.

I hear you on the trouble woods.  I don’t “work” the ball with one exception, my Ping 7 wood that I play week at almost 24*.  I can hit almost anything I want with that club, high, low, right, left, step on it to 210 or punch it down to about 160…I use it a lot.

I also have a 29* Ginty…my friends ridiculed me at how ugly it is until I launched one out of ankle deep rough about 175 onto the green to save par.

those little woods rock!

Well glad to hear you are doing well and feeling better. That is what one needs in every bag a go to club. Yeah with the setting on your Ping 7 wood that makes it the same loft as my 9 wood. My 7 is 21* but I can open it up some and hit a high cut. LOL guys around here know me well enough not to laugh when there is something strange in my bag. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Here's some more Lee Trevino 6 Wood content from the May 1973 issue of Golf Magazine.  Also a couple of pictures of a recent find.  Admittedly it has none of the style and class of a Bert Dargie custom but I thought it was kind of cool.  The shaft was trash so at the moment it's just a nice paperweight.

Trevino6W057301.jpg

Trevino6W057302.jpg

Trevino6W057303.jpg

Trevino6W057304.jpg

Trevino6Wood01.jpg

Trevino6Wood02.jpg

--Rory McIlroy