Are "low spinning" drivers worth it for Average Joes

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely depends on your particular numbers. Slower swing speed players generally do need a bit more spin than faster swing speed but it's still possible to have too much. Although at slower swing speeds, it also means the gains from correcting will be smaller. You really need to look at it on a case-by-case basis.

I have a slower swing speed as the result of increased age and some injuries. I think you should really try hitting several of the drivers that may interest you. The two main things I would suggest is that you get the right shaft (flex and kick) and increase loft. I am currently playing a TEE XCG7 Beta with the OEM Matrix white tie 5x3.1 with the loft set at the upper end (11-12*). You might find the right combination that works for you, but without hitting and trying various clubs it would be a big guess.

If your spin is too high for your ball flight, then yes. If not, then no.

Lower spin drivers are just a fitting tool. If you need them...they work great. If you don't...well, you won't see a big difference.

I fit a lot of people of varying swing speeds and honestly...it's just going to come down to your technique.

If you hit cuts, and tend to hit down a bit, a lower spinning driver might get you some better distance, for example. But...usually a swing change yields the MOST change. Or just a setup change.

This is a topic that has been coming up recently in several posts. I need spin based upon my swing characteristics; so for my particular swing the new technology does nothing for me. I have gained nothing from the forward weight, low spin craze. What I am learning is that I have a great problem in terms of consistency of my strikes and dollars in my wallet due to not being able to find a new driver that can un seat my 910d2, Rombax combo. Like others have said keep trying combinations and see if you can find one that works. I got fitted for my 910 by the Pete at Hot Stix and based upon the other driver fitting sessions I have gone to in the last 2 years no one has been able to put anything together with the newer technology that could beat this combo by any measurable amount worthy of a purchase (sorry 2-4 yards is not worth an upgrade). Right now I feel like I was lucky to find a perfect combo for me when I did 4 years ago. I guess I will have to wait for the technology to shift my way again:)

Just remember that control is far more important than distance. Now, I'm not saying to give up 30 yards or more, but the facts are that putting the ball in play in the fairway will save you more shots than hitting it sideways 30 more yards but 20 yards into the weeds. Spin = control. Just like your irons, the ball must be spinning to some degree in order for you to control it. Some amateurs will gain a bit with the newer head designs, but the plain truth is that the heads were designed to be in the hands of the professionals. The equipment companies are betting their profits on the fact that the average player will think they have to play the same club that Bubba or Rory are now hitting. And when the professionals come out and talk about their spin numbers coming down and gaining 15 yards on their drives, that's going to sell clubs. Don't get sucked into the "driver of the week club" thinking that it will gain you an obvious advantage. It likely won't unless you're badly fitted currently and get properly fit with the new club. If your current driver finds the fairway with satisfactory distance numbers you'd be well advised to hang onto it.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1423927135' post='10951825']
Just remember that control is far more important than distance. Now, I'm not saying to give up 30 yards or more, but the facts are that putting the ball in play in the fairway will save you more shots than hitting it sideways 30 more yards but 20 yards into the weeds. Spin = control. Just like your irons, the ball must be spinning to some degree in order for you to control it. Some amateurs will gain a bit with the newer head designs, but the plain truth is that the heads were designed to be in the hands of the professionals. The equipment companies are betting their profits on the fact that the average player will think they have to play the same club that Bubba or Rory are now hitting. And when the professionals come out and talk about their spin numbers coming down and gaining 15 yards on their drives, that's going to sell clubs. Don't get sucked into the "driver of the week club" thinking that it will gain you an obvious advantage. It likely won't unless you're badly fitted currently and get properly fit with the new club. If your current driver finds the fairway with satisfactory distance numbers you'd be well advised to hang onto it.
[/quote]

So there's a theory that more spin = more control...but it's just relative.

If I'm still hitting it with an open face, more spin is just going to increase the curvature of that ball.

So as a fitter, I'd have to make a point here that more spin doesn't necessarily mean better results. It CAN however increase the likelihood the ball stays closer to where it lands...but spin keep the ball in the air and makes it curve, so you just have to know what spin is and how to use it.

But more spin isn't going to categorically help someone who has bad face and path numbers.

I just saw so many people playing such little loft and hitting the ball so low because of their constant problem with too much spin that I kinda cringe when I hear that.

• 2 weeks later...

Play the driver you have and like and find a 'ball" that has low driver spin, as it will give you distance, and most of all, control. The "soft" balls will help big time in this department. Try a few different ones, as it will be cheaper than "driver of the week".

Calaway Diablo Octane 10.5 R-flex
Calaway Diablo Octane 3 Wood R-flex
Snake Eyes Viper 3 Hybrid 18 deg R-flex
Calaway X-20 irons 4-Pw(uniflex)
Cleveland 900 Forged RTG (LB) 52-56-60
Carbite ZH-1 putter(super stroke 3.0)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm only a WRX average joe lol....95ish swing speed, and i play a 12 degree SLDR, i hit the thing really well, i'v tried loads of other drivers this year and last year, Pings G25 and 30, Titleist 915, Callaway everything, and still the best for me by a margin is the SLDR, brilliant low spinning driver, much prefer it to the new R15, in fact i just bought a brand new white one in 12 degrees, i've got 3 now!!!, standard colour, white and a SLDR-S, and paired with the Matrix white tie, great....just go and try a few, quite a few low spinning models out there now, just don't go with a particular manufacturer in mind otherwise you might be disappointed if you wanted a Ping LS Tec and end up with better performance from say a Cobra fly-Z+....

TM M4 10.5 evenflow 6.0
Cobra F7 3 wood
Cobra F7 hybrid
Cobra forged tec black 4-GW
Cobra black wedges 54, 58
Evnflow ER2

• 1 month later...

I'm one of those weird low swing speed guys that seems to do well with low spin, knuckleball heads. Currently hitting a Adams Fast LS 12 10.5* in stock, stiff Grafalloy Blue. But, my typical drive on the course is only 215-230 with the occasional 240 pop. Older driver, but the combo works well.

Two weeks ago, walked into Golfsmith and tried a few newer drivers. Now, I never say this type of thing: The Ping G30 LSTec was an average of 20 yards longer than the other drivers I hit. The other drivers tried registered similar distance and dispersion to my current Adams setup. I ended up leaving the hitting bay with 4-5 drives of 270 or more on the Trackman. I regret not trying the standard G30 or the SFTec for comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='naths' timestamp='1427582533' post='11236225']
I'm only a WRX average joe lol....95ish swing speed, and i play a 12 degree SLDR, i hit the thing really well, i'v tried loads of other drivers this year and last year, Pings G25 and 30, Titleist 915, Callaway everything, and still the best for me by a margin is the SLDR, brilliant low spinning driver, much prefer it to the new R15, in fact i just bought a brand new white one in 12 degrees, i've got 3 now!!!, standard colour, white and a SLDR-S, and paired with the Matrix white tie, great....just go and try a few, quite a few low spinning models out there now, just don't go with a particular manufacturer in mind otherwise you might be disappointed if you wanted a Ping LS Tec and end up with better performance from say a Cobra fly-Z+....
[/quote]

Glad I'm not the only person with a 12* SDLR + White Tie. The spin numbers have definetely improved my driving distance. I'm see 250-260 lately where my best last season was 230's. I use to hit low bullets and now actually get some decent hang time.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1433221593' post='11672466']
I tried several of the low spin drivers with low spin shafts. It took me 2 years to find out they didn't work for me. My swing speed is around 90 mph. I recently went to a Ping G30 with a reg. shaft and picked up consistent yardage.
[/quote]

What should be the optimum driver distance if one's swing speed is 90-93mph assuming one could be fit for the near perfect launch angle and spin rate?

[quote name='Birdmen' timestamp='1447703211' post='12606430']
[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1433221593' post='11672466']
I tried several of the low spin drivers with low spin shafts. It took me 2 years to find out they didn't work for me. My swing speed is around 90 mph. I recently went to a Ping G30 with a reg. shaft and picked up consistent yardage.
[/quote]

What should be the optimum driver distance if one's swing speed is 90-93mph assuming one could be fit for the near perfect launch angle and spin rate?
[/quote]

I forgot to ask, what would be the near perfect launch angle and spin for that swing speed?

[quote name='sirparalot' timestamp='1423138507' post='10888909']
This is a topic that has been coming up recently in several posts. I need spin based upon my swing characteristics; so for my particular swing the new technology does nothing for me. I have gained nothing from the forward weight, low spin craze. What I am learning is that I have a great problem in terms of consistency of my strikes and dollars in my wallet due to not being able to find a new driver that can un seat my 910d2, Rombax combo. Like others have said keep trying combinations and see if you can find one that works. I got fitted for my 910 by the Pete at Hot Stix and based upon the other driver fitting sessions I have gone to in the last 2 years no one has been able to put anything together with the newer technology that could beat this combo by any measurable amount worthy of a purchase (sorry 2-4 yards is not worth an upgrade). Right now I feel like I was lucky to find a perfect combo for me when I did 4 years ago. I guess I will have to wait for the technology to shift my way again:)
[/quote]

I have to agree, I have been playing the same driver head and shaft combination for a long while now, I changed the shaft in January for the newer version, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 72 X Flex at 44.25", I had the driver (RFX) since it came out in 2013, nothing has came out that can match the numbers I get with my current driver, I have tried/demoed almost everything that is out there and again nothing is that much better...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

For swing speeds below 100 mph, the answer is likely "No". In a nutshell, swing speed dictates ball speed. Below 160 mph of ball speed, it takes a much larger change in spin to effect a change in distance. The RPM change from low spin drivers is in the hundreds range, whereas for slower ball speeds it will take 1,200-1,500 rpms of spin change to see any distance change. And, if you have a swing speed below 90, more spin can actually help you.

IF you are a slicer, forget what was said above and fix your slice. You will see a LOT more distance gain by changing the spin axis of your golf ball and hitting it with more pure backspin than you ever will worrying about the low spin driver.

Driver spin for the vast majority of average golfers is overrated. (Yes, there will be guys out there with a Trackman trying to sell new drivers, and you could have excessive backspin being produced by poor impact. In that case change your swing and be re-evaluated.) The questions here is all things being equal, will a switch to a lower spin driver help your distance? The answer is generally "No" unless you have a high swing speed.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

An upgrade success story....from 10-yr old to 2-yr old drivers....

After a few rounds with the SLDR-430 that replaced older TM drivers....the well-liked 580xd, r7-425, and the R5-Dual, all virtually identical in carry and roll....I can confidently say that the SLDR has given me 25 yards and more distance, half of that carry, half roll.....

[The oldies were 10.5 and 9.5 heads, all retail 425-450cc heads, with either TM 50gm or Aldila NV65 shafts; the SLDR is 10.5 set to 12° on the end of the TM 57 shaft that I'm just getting used to, choking down an inch and opening the face to neutral]

For years I've been disappointed when my drives dropped from the sky and lacked roll....this, even after very nice, medium height ball flights....I don't "balloon" drives, or slice them....though do have high tired fades occasionally....

I bought the SLDR for its lower ball flight (it seems about 5 yards lower compared to its older siblings)...

I wanted, a wind cheating arc....today's round was played in tropical storm Colin's leading 10-20mph headwinds where the green flags flew starch-stiff cardboard straight with nary a flap....I still got more total distance than I had in the past into the wind, and was able get the ball up high enough to ride the wind when it was at my back and flew it farther than I every had before (for a par on a hole I rarely get).

....it is true that severely poor toe or heel hits cost distance...I'm still learning how to set up the head and set up my swing for this 1" longer shaft....but at worst they were no shorter than solid hits on the older drivers I liked so much, while minor off-center contact lost little distance; 5 yards or so due to draw or fade...

Finally, the added driving distance is a full club shorter to the green and that has given me more confidence to play within myself....that I don't have to "swing from the heels" and so make better contact and get more out of ALL my clubs....of course this all could be a result of the 'honeymoon' effect....but for now I'm happily married to the SLDR and enjoying my game even more.

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 1 month later...

Curious to know if anyone can answer this....what is the optimum launch angle and optimum spin numbers to maximize distance - all else being equal except swing speed?

How many of you get backspin on your driver - and what RPM's are you getting? What happens to ball flight if you have excessive back spin with the driver?

I fell like I've gained distance and consistency with a lower spinning head, with stiffer shaft, and less loft. I actually can get roll now on soft courses where I wasn't before. I am also able to get more roll on harder courses.

90 mph swing would be 216 yard (Carry Distance) and 232 yard total distance. 93 mph swing would be 220 yard (Carry) and 240 (total)

Curious to know if anyone can answer this....what is the optimum launch angle and optimum spin numbers to maximize distance - all else being equal except swing speed?

How many of you get backspin on your driver - and what RPM's are you getting? What happens to ball flight if you have excessive back spin with the driver?

I fell like I've gained distance and consistency with a lower spinning head, with stiffer shaft, and less loft. I actually can get roll now on soft courses where I wasn't before. I am also able to get more roll on harder courses.

Here's Flightscope's site.

You can play with the numbers all you want. Doesn't use swing speed though, uses ball speed.

Optimum ball speed is 1.5 times your swing speed so 90MPH SS would be 135 MPH ball speed.

Have fun.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Just went through a fitting. Asked the fitter to consider only the Ping G30s I own: an LSTec and a SFTec. I always felt the LSTec was a better choice, as I stated in a prior post from a year ago, I used to game an Adams Fast 12 LS driver.

The LSTec was the clear winner, and I just need to move down from the Ping Tour 65 S to the same in regular flex. Launch monitor results were incredibly encouraging.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If your spin is too high for your ball flight, then yes. If not, then no.

Lower spin drivers are just a fitting tool. If you need them...they work great. If you don't...well, you won't see a big difference.

I fit a lot of people of varying swing speeds and honestly...it's just going to come down to your technique.

If you hit cuts, and tend to hit down a bit, a lower spinning driver might get you some better distance, for example. But...usually a swing change yields the MOST change. Or just a setup change.

Unfortunately I tend to agree with you! I got fitted for a Wishon driver a couple of years ago, it was process I was very happy with as the goal was to hit more fairways - second to distance. I got fitted in to a Wishon 919, Grafalloy Blue (original) in S at 44.5", resulting in consistent contact and a good ball flight. The results have been very good over the past couple of years but like everyone, you start to crave more distance if it is possible. My shot shape is straight to a slight fade, my big miss (which has become more infrequent) is a big push or push slice.

This past weekend I was playing a round of golf on a simulator at a buddy's house, for the sake of this discussion, we will assume it was calibrated correctly since it was newly installed and I have no reason to think otherwise. I was hitting driver 248 - 255, 148-150 ball speed, 1.5 deg out to in, 15 degree launch angle. All of my iron play came from the inside, my driver and 4 wood, all slightly from the outside. My spin rate was always 3200 - 3700. I hear people talking about spin rates in the 2000's as their goal on driver fittings; is that correct or possible?

I assume my swing path / technique is causing the high spin rate, assuming that amount is high. If I could ever effectively turn the ball over with the driver, I would be curious to see if that would add distance due to less spin.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Here's Flightscope's site. You can play with the numbers all you want. Doesn't use swing speed though, uses ball speed. Optimum ball speed is 1.5 times your swing speed so 90MPH SS would be 135 MPH ball speed. Have fun.

Unfortunately I tend to agree with you! I got fitted for a Wishon driver a couple of years ago, it was process I was very happy with as the goal was to hit more fairways - second to distance. I got fitted in to a Wishon 919, Grafalloy Blue (original) in S at 44.5", resulting in consistent contact and a good ball flight. The results have been very good over the past couple of years but like everyone, you start to crave more distance if it is possible. My shot shape is straight to a slight fade, my big miss (which has become more infrequent) is a big push or push slice. This past weekend I was playing a round of golf on a simulator at a buddy's house, for the sake of this discussion, we will assume it was calibrated correctly since it was newly installed and I have no reason to think otherwise. I was hitting driver 248 - 255, 148-150 ball speed, 1.5 deg out to in, 15 degree launch angle. All of my iron play came from the inside, my driver and 4 wood, all slightly from the outside. My spin rate was always 3200 - 3700. I hear people talking about spin rates in the 2000's as their goal on driver fittings; is that correct or possible? I assume my swing path / technique is causing the high spin rate, assuming that amount is high. If I could ever effectively turn the ball over with the driver, I would be curious to see if that would add distance due to less spin.

try out that link above. I basically asked the same thing. and when I went to flightscope link about, I saw how it's possible to increase carry distance due to less spin. now, correcting that spin is whole 'nother animal.

edit: used your numbers kenstl inserted 0's where you didn't give a number:

150mph ball speed, 15deg lauch 1.5deg out to in, don't know your elevation 3700rpm backspin 0 sidespin

Total 248.7yds

Carry 247 yds

this is if you had lower spin at 2500

Total 260.3 yds

Carry 256.8yds

12 yds due to 1200 less spin. assume everything else was equal. it's a cool optimizer to play with.

thanks jpdx, that is a cool tool. I'll have to read up on how the spin is created with the driver. I always assumed that hitting down the ball generated most of the spin but I am not sure if that is my issue as the my launch angle was around 15 degrees, playing a 9 deg driver. I guess I really need to know the AoA, but I do not remember seeing that. I'll have to go back to another simulator and see what those numbers are on AoA.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX