2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2015 ISPS Handa Women's Australian Open

AKL Kiwi

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1424612122' post='11002893']
Lydia is 17 years old and has 6 victories on tour. How amazing is that.
[/quote]

Tells you that the tour isnt as competitive as it should be if a 17 year old can do that.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

[/quote]

She has progressed SO much faster than I thought she would. She just plays so solidly. Very few mistakes, especially mental. No part of her physical game jumps out at me either.

I'm torn on Royal Melbourne. I'd enjoy watching the top men play it more with their higher spinning approaches in which truly great shots could be rewarded. Pretty much all the girls need to land their approaches short, sometimes off the green itself, and let the ball roll back to the cup. That's the kind of golf I would have to play there too and I don't enjoy it. I guess I'm too used to the softer parkland courses of the Midwestern US. I really do appreciate seeing a shot worked back into a hole position, but for lack of a better word it's "easier" to watch golf when most of the players can one hop and stop their approaches. Overall I'm glad the girls don't play a course like this every week.

[quote name='RBImGuy' timestamp='1424613474' post='11002961']
[/quote]

Tells you that the tour isnt as competitive as it should be if a 17 year old can do that.
[/quote]
Interesting perspective, did you have the same thoughts as some of the teens dominated men's and women's tennis?

I agree with DP, it is a pretty interesting perspective. Based off zero research but just my own personal experiences, I feel like most guys peak physically in their late 20's while most ladies peak physically in their early 20's. Throw in the more cerebral element of golf and it makes sense that many guys seem to win majors in their early 30's. One would think the dominating ladies would mostly be mid 20's. Of course just like Tiger dominating early and often in his life, perhaps Ko is just better than everyone else and therefore will skew the scale for a while?

[/quote]

[/quote]
Was the PGA Tour also not competitive when Tiger was doing it?

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lydia is an elite talent. I'm sorry you're casually writing that off.

The GC was all over this story today on MD and Golf Central and again how Royal Melbourne GC is one of the best challenges in world golf. I have to say again I am disappointed this course did not attract more of the top RR players. This course has a huge respect on the men's tour and they relish the opportunity to play RM as it's certainly a measure of your ability. It would be great to see the ladies back there for a major one day. Congrats to Ko for the win but I think all those who were able to go one or two rounds under par around RM can feel some achievement. I think we can now safely drop the reference to Ariya's injury she is well and truly over that and has been for a while and now looks to be a good chance to win ROY. It will be interesting to see how see lines up again Hyo Joo Kim in the Honda LPGA Thailand this week.

[url="http://youtu.be/qwTICrDTYHs"]http://youtu.be/qwTICrDTYHs[/url]

[quote name='AKL Kiwi' timestamp='1424630107' post='11004337']
The GC was all over this story today on MD and Golf Central and again how Royal Melbourne GC is one of the best challenges in world golf. I have to say again I am disappointed this course did not attract more of the top RR players. This course has a huge respect on the men's tour and they relish the opportunity to play RM as it's certainly a measure of your ability. It would be great to see the ladies back there for a major one day. Congrats to Ko for the win but I think all those who were able to go one or two rounds under par around RM can feel some achievement. I think we can now safely drop the reference to Ariya's injury she is well and truly over that and has been for a while and now looks to be a good chance to win ROY. It will be interesting to see how see lines up again Hyo Joo Kim in the Honda LPGA Thailand this week.

[media=]http://youtu.be/qwTICrDTYHs[/media]
[/quote]

For a "National Championship," the event was played on one of, if not the, best course in Oz and was a true test of golf. Without creating 10 majors, it would seem like this event and also the CWO are more deserving of major status than the Evian.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1424614167' post='11003007']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Interesting perspective, did you have the same thoughts as some of the teens dominated men's and women's tennis?
[/quote]

Well said Dave.... there are and has been plenty of players who have tried or trying to achieve this level by age 17. I think Ko goes out to beat a course not the other players and this is perhaps where she is able to shut out things that other players worry about.

For those that follow the Symetra Tour, Hannah O'Sullivan is leading the event by 4. Never heard of Hannah? That's probably because you don't follow [b]HIGH SCHOOL[/b] golf. Hannah is 16 years old and shot 65 yesterday to back up her first round 67 to earn her lead. She was given a sponsor's exemption into the event.

Hoping she holds on to win...the future of golf is so bright with so much talent coming up on all tours.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1424631026' post='11004433']
[/quote]

For a "National Championship," the event was played on one of, if not the, best course in Oz and was a true test of golf. Without creating 10 majors, it would seem like this event and also the CWO are more deserving of major status than the Evian.
[/quote]

I believe the CWO was a major at one time and had it still been so Ko would have won a major at the age of 15 years and four months and have 2 already. I think although not a major National Championships should carry more weight in the LPGA points system.

Surely Evian was only rewarded for $'s they are putting up.

[quote name='AKL Kiwi' timestamp='1424632358' post='11004557']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1424631026' post='11004433']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe the CWO was a major at one time and had it still been so Ko would have won a major at the age of 15 years and four months and have 2 already. I think although not a major National Championships should carry more weight in the LPGA points system.

Surely Evian was only rewarded for $'s they are putting up.
[/quote]

Evian re-did the course and put up the 2nd most money, after the USWO. I think the major in Canada was the du Maurier which was in place until 2000. Putt would know better...he's the expert of everything Canada golf both men's and women's.

I think the Evian gets too much grief. It's got a nice purse and almost every top player in the world goes and plays it. For whatever reason a lot of the girls don't go to the Aussie Open. Anyone have the scoop on why? It certainly seems like the most important tournament in Australia should be a bigger deal than the most important tournament in France.

I'd like to see the LPGA get more competitive, more demanding and play more events like the one this week (firm & fast with difficult greens). I'd also like to see them play courses with tighter fairways and if not that, than at least some more difficult approach shots.

Lydia was simply better than everyone else this week but at the same time I worry about the general notion of how easy it seems Lydia burst on the scene and dominated. I 100% understand where RBImGuy is coming from because I think most casual fans (if they watched enough LPGA) would come to similar conclusions.

Why in general is women's golf something that seems to favor these teenagers instead of older, more experience, veteran players? And moreover, should be commend that strategy or is it the sign of the LPGA's demise?

We should get something straight right off the bat, Lydia's consistency tee-to-green is what's putting her on top, not her creativity and shot-making ability throughout the bag. That's what's so different about watching PGA and LPGA coverage, I'm sad to say.

That's not a mark against Lydia per se...she's simply the product of how the LPGA chooses to pick their winner(s). You're going to keep getting these younger and younger winners who are out-putting everyone else if you don't put some more demands on the long game and that's the real question of women's golf...are you going to ask them to be shot-makers or are you going to keep going after teenage phenoms?

You might take this as an insult to Lydia, but it's the reason that the men's game has put so much emphasis on distance and shot-making. You simply can't let every tournament come down to being a putting contest or your winners and world #1's are going to fluctuate wildly (as we've seen on the LPGA).

Right now it just comes down to relatively easy shots and it's a matter or who chokes and who doesn't which rewards the inexperience, too-new-to-be-nervous teenagers. You're not really getting to see who has the most shots in their bag, which is where the dilemma comes in. Yes Lydia stays more calm, cool and collected but is that the only thing we're interested in seeing?

It's always a trade-off.

I think the warning that the LPGA needs to think about is that as good as Lydia is playing, she's only 17 and that if a 17 year old person can get to the top of your organization...what does that really say? After all, Lydia is not doing anything physically that the other girls aren't which means that again, somewhere down the line, you're going to get someone who's even younger coming along. After this has happened enough times people will realize that the game has nothing to do with shot-making and experience and it's everything to do with automation.

Too much of Lydia's dominance--as historic as it is--has to do with the same short-but-straight long game and lights-out putting that dominates whatever LPGA event you're talking about, whoever the winner may be. To Lydia's credit, she's probably among the best putters in the world when inside 20 feet and as long as she keeps playing as consistently as she has been, I doubt anyone will dethrone her anytime soon.

I think if we saw LPGA players stressed a little bit more in their approach shots, we'd start to see Lydia fall back to the pack a little bit. However, the LPGA for years now has chosen to go in the direction of devaluing shot-making, overall power and experience in favor of highlighting young girls who don't do anything amazingly well but avoid catastrophe like it's the devil.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

[quote name='MelloYello' timestamp='1424637203' post='11005047']I think the warning that the LPGA needs to think about is that as good as Lydia is playing, she's only 17 and that if a 17 year old person can get to the top of your organization...what does that really say? After all, Lydia is not doing anything physically that the other girls aren't which means that again, somewhere down the line, you're going to get someone who's even younger coming along. After this has happened enough times people will realize that the game has nothing to do with shot-making and experience and it's everything to do with automation.[/quote]

Lydia Ko is a shot maker, ask anyone in the game. Also she is not a short hitter--maybe compared to you she is--but for an LPGA pro not a short hitter and hits the irons with a decent amount of spin. She's not like that 11-year old that qualified for the US Open if that is what you are imagining.

This game you describe, the one that has nothing to do with shot-making and experience--it does not exist, anywhere. What are you talking about man. I think what you are trying to say--that some of the courses the LPGA plays are not as difficult as you want to see--is fair enough, but the same could be said about the PGA Tour.

[quote name='joeshmo' timestamp='1424587673' post='11002373']
some really ugly bunkers on this course
[/quote]

Ugly, as in difficult, or ugly, as in poorly groomed?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Thank you again, Ms. Ko, for validating my decision to replace my 5 iron with a 5 hybrid. :golfer:

You gotta feel for Ms. Yang. Once again she's the best of the rest. Ms. Ko stayed out of trouble, and took her birdies when she could. She certainly never seemed to force things.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1424642561' post='11005611']
Thank you again, Ms. Ko, for validating my decision to replace my 5 iron with a 5 hybrid. :golfer:

You gotta feel for Ms. Yang. Once again she's the best of the rest. Ms. Ko stayed out of trouble, and took her birdies when she could. She certainly never seemed to force things.
[/quote]
Arg wait until you're old like me and replace the 6i with a 6h. It's still how many, right?

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1424631992' post='11004523']
For those that follow the Symetra Tour, Hannah O'Sullivan is leading the event by 4. Never heard of Hannah? That's probably because you don't follow [b]HIGH SCHOOL[/b] golf. Hannah is 16 years old and shot 65 yesterday to back up her first round 67 to earn her lead. She was given a sponsor's exemption into the event.

Hoping she holds on to win...the future of golf is so bright with so much talent coming up on all tours.
[/quote]
Hannah now has a SEVEN shot lead with 5 to play. It's going to be a 17 year old and a 16 year old who win this week.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1424641937' post='11005547']
[quote name='joeshmo' timestamp='1424587673' post='11002373']
some really ugly bunkers on this course
[/quote]

Ugly, as in difficult, or ugly, as in poorly groomed?
[/quote]

Difficult....as in I would hate to play out of too many during a round or my score would be ugly....

Talent is the desire to practice

[quote name='mursie' timestamp='1424649318' post='11006453']
Is it to early to start saying Lydia Ko may be the greatest women's golfer ever to play teh game? I hope she can stay the course and not fall off like so many phenoms seem to do. Love her game and her demeanor. Great win today for Ko - glad to see it.
[/quote]

It is. But she's really good.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1424643808' post='11005733']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1424642561' post='11005611']
[/quote]
Arg wait until you're old like me and replace the 6i with a 6h. It's still how many, right?
[/quote]

Lol. Trust me, I've come close to replacing the 6 iron many times. It's inevitable.

[quote name='legitimategolf' timestamp='1424641731' post='11005517']
[quote name='MelloYello' timestamp='1424637203' post='11005047']I think the warning that the LPGA needs to think about is that as good as Lydia is playing, she's only 17 and that if a 17 year old person can get to the top of your organization...what does that really say? After all, Lydia is not doing anything physically that the other girls aren't which means that again, somewhere down the line, you're going to get someone who's even younger coming along. After this has happened enough times people will realize that the game has nothing to do with shot-making and experience and it's everything to do with automation.[/quote]

Lydia Ko is a shot maker, ask anyone in the game. Also she is not a short hitter--maybe compared to you she is--but for an LPGA pro not a short hitter and hits the irons with a decent amount of spin. She's not like that 11-year old that qualified for the US Open if that is what you are imagining.

This game you describe, the one that has nothing to do with shot-making and experience--it does not exist, anywhere. What are you talking about man. I think what you are trying to say--that some of the courses the LPGA plays are not as difficult as you want to see--is fair enough, but the same could be said about the PGA Tour.
[/quote]

I think Ko is just a phenom - like mcilroy and tiger. I don't see this being an "everyone can do it" type of reality.