2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2015 ISPS Handa Women's Australian Open

AKL Kiwi

[quote name='JRS' timestamp='1424510927' post='10996981']
[quote name='Leftagain' timestamp='1424431406' post='10990293']
All tongue in cheek of course, I can live with either though I've played all my golf in meters so they make sense. Oddly enough I believe in NZ (where meters are the standard unit of measure) they mark their golf courses in yards, a friend of mine went there recently and couldn't work out why from the 100 markers he kept flying the greens..
[/quote]

on most courses in NZ they have 180, 135 and 90 meter markers which are roughly equivalent to 200, 150 and 100 yards.

there's no consensus on whether that distance is to the front or the middle of the green though. always be careful to read which it is on the back of the scorecard. so maybe that's where your friend was caught out.
[/quote]

More like he never read the scorecard, saw a 100 marker and presumed it was 100 meters. As would be a fair presumption in a Metric country...

Seems a really odd thing to do it relative to yards but convert it to meters but whatever works..

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This event ought to be a "major" championship of the women's game. What do I know though.

You guys are so down on Ariya but seeing as how she is only 19 I see tons of upside. She is sort of hacking it around Royal Melbourne and yet is still contending--again. Also take note you pencil neck geeks, there is a new LPGA distance leader in town. She is going to bust some heads in her career, I predict. Stiff competition for LPGA Rookie of '15.

Lydia is setting a new bar for consistency it seems. She might be getting comfortable at the top.

[quote name='legitimategolf' timestamp='1424535030' post='10997939']
This event ought to be a "major" championship of the women's game. What do I know though.

You guys are so down on Ariya but seeing as how she is only 19 I see tons of upside. She is sort of hacking it around Royal Melbourne and yet is still contending--again. Also take note you pencil neck geeks, there is a new LPGA distance leader in town. She is going to bust some heads in her career, I predict. Stiff competition for LPGA Rookie of '15.

Lydia is setting a new bar for consistency it seems. She might be getting comfortable at the top.
[/quote]

You need to add more fiber to your diet. Seem to have a lot of built up angst against a bunch of people who have been courteous to you.

[quote name='legitimategolf' timestamp='1424535030' post='10997939']

[/quote]

I agree and the Asia Pacific region has long been justified in having a major and is getting stronger representation in the rankings all the time. How Europe now get two majors a year and the Solhiem Cup every four years surely is unjustified. Evian must go when was the last time someone from France even won an LPGA tourney?

I remember about a 1/4 of the way through last season SNaP saying she just expects to be contending every tournament be interesting to see if the Librarian ever makes the same comment....

[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1424506731' post='10996919']
[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1424504293' post='10996857']
Women's golf in Australia must not be popular.....minimal gallery.
Guess everyone would rather beach.
[/quote]

Temps in the upper 90's for the weekend might be keeping people away.
[/quote]
Never seems to be an issue when the grandstands are packed for fans sitting in the blazing heat for hours upon hours each year at tennis's Australian Open.

I'm also confident there would be many spectators to watch Tiger "activate his gluts" at Royal Melbourne in the heat. :taunt:

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1424543739' post='10998653']
[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1424506731' post='10996919']
[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1424504293' post='10996857']
Women's golf in Australia must not be popular.....minimal gallery.
Guess everyone would rather beach.
[/quote]

Temps in the upper 90's for the weekend might be keeping people away.
[/quote]
Never seems to be an issue when the grandstands are packed for fans sitting in the blazing heat for hours upon hours each year at tennis's Australian Open.

I'm also confident there would be many spectators to watch Tiger "activate his gluts" at Royal Melbourne in the heat. :taunt:
[/quote]

That's true. Usually, it's even hotter for the tennis and there is very little shade for those that sit outside in the courtyard watching on the screens. You would think any excuse to go to Royal Melbourne is a good excuse.

[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1424544436' post='10998689']
You would think any excuse to go to Royal Melbourne is a good excuse.
[/quote]
I attended the 2010 USSO at Sahalee G&CC to not only see the pros but also to see the course.
I had never seen a USGA or the senators previously.

If I could describe Sahalee:
"Take the most difficult tree lined course you've played...then put it on steroids......it was kinda like tee off looking at a bowling alley lane (narrow fairways framed with huge/tall trees).....never mind the elevation changes that TV never captures.
The trees made it difficult to watch play if you are watching a premier group and the USGA often roped off one side of the fairway.

I've been to all of Vancouver's 9 private clubs (I've play on 4 of them) by attending events on the other 5.....it's always a pleasure to see courses that we have restricted access unless a member invites one.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1424499491' post='10996715']
Great eagle by Amy Yang....a classy unassuming young lady.
She donated her 1st pro winnings in 2008 on the LET....approx $60k....to China's earthquake victims.

I'm very shocked she's only won once on the LPGA.
[/quote]

Yes, a bit surprising. She's generally in the hunt in the majors, but doesn't seem to be able to catch the leader.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Lou Loomis' timestamp='1424501894' post='10996805']
[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1424499732' post='10996727']
[quote name='Lou Loomis' timestamp='1424499479' post='10996713']
Could Ariya dethrone Stacy and be crowned the new queen of pouty and bitter?
[/quote]
Yes, once she starts to blame every missed putt on a spike mark, buries her putter into her bag after a missed putt and publicly announces she lost an event to a lucky shot.
[/quote]

Yes, Stacy handled the ending to that day pretty poorly. The moments right after holing out, with the players leaving the 18th green, were very awkward weren't they? I do think Stacy has made efforts and grown up some since then and I give her credit for that. The shot...it was lucky. Remember Shan Shan's reaction right after contact? She immediately cringed thinking it was gone. Clearing the water and getting up and down to tie would have been very fortunate; barely clearing the water, bouncing off a rock and the flag, and ending up just a few feet from the hole for eagle and the win was, well, very lucky. Nevertheless, it certainly wasn't the first lucky shot in golf and Stacy should have made more of an effort to be a gracious loser. After Shan Shan's shot and the way the crowd was that day, it would have been very tough for most humans to react in a fully composed way though, I think.
[url="http://www.golfchannel.com/media/going-glory-fengs-improbable-shot-18/"]http://www.golfchann...obable-shot-18/[/url]
[/quote]

The ball did [b]not [/b]hit a rock. It cleared the water, landing on the fringe, and two hopped before hitting the flagstick. It was not a "lucky" shot. She had to go for broke, and fired directly at the pin. I've watched the video numerous times, and there was no rock intervention.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1424547566' post='10998931']
Yes, a bit surprising. She's generally in the hunt in the majors, but doesn't seem to be able to catch the leader.
[/quote]
I think Amy maybe be a little weak coming down the stretch....kinda like what we've unfortunately seen from Ryu the past few years.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1424547713' post='10998949']
The ball did [b]not [/b]hit a rock. It cleared the water, landing on the fringe, and two hopped before hitting the flagstick. It was not a "lucky" shot. She had to go for broke, and fired directly at the pin. I've watched the video numerous times, and there was no rock intervention.
[/quote]
Correct....the ball did not hit a rock....it was a rice bowl (similar to the rice bowl my momma use to use to give me a haircut) that one of my fellow countrymen planted in front of the green while the gals were still on the tee block.

We Chinese like to win!! :taunt:

[quote name='legitimategolf' timestamp='1424548558' post='10999013']
Kelly Tilghman's uber-white pronunciation of "Area Ju-tan-yu-garn" is driving me nuts. And who is that [size=5][b]annoying little ponce[/b][/size] sitting next to her at the Golf Central anchor desk.
[/quote]
LOL
You're on a roll today....you still bitter about your 6 feet of snow.

BTW...the Cherry Blossom trees have bloomed already and I saw daffodils this morning walking the dog here in Van City.

How did you like the lowly Canucks taking down the Rangers the other night in O/T.
Ya ya ya...I know the Rangers smoked the Canucks in 1994....I don't like the Canucks....I like the shameful Leafs...yes I'm an idiot.

[quote name='Lou Loomis' timestamp='1424501894' post='10996805']
[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1424499732' post='10996727']
[quote name='Lou Loomis' timestamp='1424499479' post='10996713']
Could Ariya dethrone Stacy and be crowned the new queen of pouty and bitter?
[/quote]
Yes, once she starts to blame every missed putt on a spike mark, buries her putter into her bag after a missed putt and publicly announces she lost an event to a lucky shot.
[/quote]

Yes, Stacy handled the ending to that day pretty poorly. The moments right after holing out, with the players leaving the 18th green, were very awkward weren't they? I do think Stacy has made efforts and grown up some since then and I give her credit for that. The shot...it was lucky. Remember Shan Shan's reaction right after contact? She immediately cringed thinking it was gone. Clearing the water and getting up and down to tie would have been very fortunate; barely clearing the water, bouncing off a rock and the flag, and ending up just a few feet from the hole for eagle and the win was, well, very lucky. Nevertheless, it certainly wasn't the first lucky shot in golf and Stacy should have made more of an effort to be a gracious loser. After Shan Shan's shot and the way the crowd was that day, it would have been very tough for most humans to react in a fully composed way though, I think.
[url="http://www.golfchannel.com/media/going-glory-fengs-improbable-shot-18/"]http://www.golfchann...obable-shot-18/[/url]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't see the 'rock' either; I was just referring to the golf channel's description, figuring they probably knew something I didn't. I saw it as it happened and many times since. In calling it lucky I was going by her immediate reaction after contact...it's pretty clear to me that she felt it was far from the shot she intended, and the fact that it did barely clear the water, and then clanged off the flag, otherwise it would have gone well by leaving a far more difficult putt than the one she had after hitting the flag. But I will take back my 'lucky' description and go with fortunate and unlikely to be repeated in many, many tries. It was an amazing ending to the tournament...one of those truth is stranger than fiction moments

TSR3 9° tensei blue 65

TSR2 3w 15°, TSi2 3h 18° tensei blue

MP-20 hmb 4i, MP-20 mmc 5-9i modus 105

T20 46°, T22 50°, SM8 56°s dynamic gold

BB1F '22 34.75" ebl pistol rubber

4.5 LS 14-way

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1424549280' post='10999063']
[/quote]
Correct....the ball did not hit a rock....it was a rice bowl (similar to the rice bowl my momma use to use to give me a haircut) that one of my fellow countrymen planted in front of the green while the gals were still on the tee block.

We Chinese like to win!! :taunt:
[/quote]

You're Canadian.

:-)

[quote name='mnmlistgolfr' timestamp='1424457641' post='10992707']
A 274.32 meter (metre) drive just doesn't sound as impressive as a 300 yard drive.

"Wow! You smoked that one mate. It must've gone 274.32 metres!"

Also,

"Give them 2.54 cm and they'll take 1.6 km." -a not so famous saying
[/quote]

Speaking of, it's pretty unbelievable we've stuck with the imperial system for so long... Should have gone metric 25 years ago.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1424458009' post='10992757']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1424410359' post='10989831']
They know they have a US audience. I wish they would convert the meters to yards like they do on the European Tour.
[/quote]
You Yanks need to get out of The Center of the Universe and get with the program.
Only 3 countries use the imperial system....the USA, Myanmar and Liberia....and the latter a very 3rd world country. :taunt:
[/quote]

I read Myanmar and Liberia are have pretty much gone metric also, even though "officially" they are still imperial like us.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2