2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

I am much disappoint in the Monte clinic attendees. They spent 3 days with other DMV WRX'ers, and we have exactly zero new people showing up in here. Less golf game improvement, more internet banter!

I talked to one person about it at lunch. He knew about the thread, but thought we posted too much :)

I hope you told him to S your Bs. If he's reading, S my Bs, buddy.

Hokay, so...

We have the following as "interested" for the RRC. Keep in mind that while this group is large, some won't be able to make it day of.

Me

Kent

Sully

Eagle

Stix

Freezy

City

DCmidnight

PQ

DT

Fabb

Tex

Mtn

t**

Domes

JJ

GregH

dagoose

gwchem

oldbergkamp

ahoop

davechen

2moreTerps

realsneek

maybe a couple others I missed

That's in the mid 20's if you have 100% attendance. On a weekday timeslot, we are not going to have that many. Therefore as RRCC I am going to arrange for 5 foursomes. Any more commits and we will need some guys to be able to play quite early, as in "half day off work" early so I will do my best to get you guys a date set shortly.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Hokay, so...

We have the following as "interested" for the RRC. Keep in mind that while this group is large, some won't be able to make it day of.

CC2016MVP

I'm probably less than 50% likely to be able to attend. Just putting that out there.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

“I just don’t like it” is the real reason for the Northwest hatred.

When you think of Northwest … what are you looking forward? What shot? What hole? It’s just a big bag of boring blah with HORRIFIC pace (only course I’ve ever walked off due to pace of play) and it costs a TON. Isn’t it like 70$+ to play on the weekends??

The par 3s are boring and redundant.

#11 is an absolutely awful hole

Give me a reason to play Northwest over Maryland? Or Hampshire Greens? Or Needwood?

Wasn’t it Gary Player who declared like every course he played his favorite? That’s generally me. I just hate Northwest.

Two shoulder surgeries, but that was because I dislocated it and tore the labrum. Sounds like your issue is very different.

I got scars like pq got clown tattoos

You're my partner today. We're going to positive talk ourselves to a glorious victory over the wimpy gimps.

I am in for red rag. NW better for me.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

Of all the holes you picked to hate, it's 11? I think 11 is a perfectly fine hole. 13 is the worst hole on that golf course, in a landslide. There's nothing great about that golf course, but there's nothing awful about it either.

I'm up for red rag, no matter where we play. One thing I do think makes it more interesting is a course with relatively tame green complexes. There's relatively little incentive to try and drive greens with very difficult complexes. Red rag is all about going as low as possible, and I think tough green complexes (Blue Mash, Glenndale) will really take away from that. Think about the "drivable" holes at Blue Mash, and then think about how difficult it can be around some of those greens, and what trouble comes into play. Glenndale is fun, but those greens are wicked tough. Needwood is a bit far west, but that's a good course for red rag. Clustered is way too far, but that's a good course for red rag.

"I just don't like it" is the real reason for the Northwest hatred.

When you think of Northwest … what are you looking forward? What shot? What hole? It's just a big bag of boring blah with HORRIFIC pace (only course I've ever walked off due to pace of play) and it costs a TON. Isn't it like 70$+ to play on the weekends??

The par 3s are boring and redundant.

#11 is an absolutely awful hole

Give me a reason to play Northwest over Maryland? Or Hampshire Greens? Or Needwood?

Wasn't it Gary Player who declared like every course he played his favorite? That's generally me. I just hate Northwest.

I see your point, and I feel that way about some courses too. But if I was making a cost based decision NW would win on the weekday. I don't really "get excited" to play Blue Mash or Waverly either, especially not when I can play a solid, fast-pace layout 15 minutes from my house an unlimited number of times with no tee time. It would only take 4 weekend rounds at those places to exceed my monthly dues.

I think for the format it sets up for people to have a lot of fun and try to post something crazy low. At the same time, the greens are huge to accomodate the 7000+ yard setup and you can still 3-putt if you get sloppy. The greens were healing last year and there were a crapload of birdies, which is the whole point of the thing.

Fair warning to newcomers, if you track your differentials don't get your hopes up for this one. If I went into NW as a 5 still I'd have to shoot a 69 to just match my index.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

the things i look forward to when playing NW:

- can be stretched longer than any course in the area that i am aware of. bring your big boy pants.

- typically very good conditions. the greens/fairways have actually been firm and fast... in march. it's a huge selling point as typically everything is waterlogged at that time of year.

- the locals. never know who you'll meet up with. played with a guy in sweatpants, no socks and what appeared to be a self-made shirt. wore what can only be described as a citygame hat. he was awesome. point being: there's a story waiting to happen.

- location. easy in, easy out.

shots i look forward to:

- par 3 4th tee ball

- approach on 6

- tee ball on 8

- 2nd shot on 9

- tee ball on 11

- approach on 14

- approach on 17

lots of these are based on being able to go for it in 2 on the par 5s (assuming a decent tee ball). not always the prudent play on many courses, due to excessive danger around the green.

sure, pace of play can be a nightmare (unless you tee off at the a55crack of dawn). sure, the rangers can induce eye-ball poppin rage. sure, the rough can be so gnarly that you can't advance it more than 50 yards without hurting yourself. sure, you can grow tired of it (as i currently am). overall tho... NW is a keeper.

still want blue mash for the RRC, but gotta defend NW.

edit: played there more than a few times early last year. introduced city to it. after the 2nd time through he says, "i still don't love the course." my reply: "it's not a course you love. it's a course you play. it's a course you moderately enjoy." pretty much sums it up from my POV.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

EPP would be a great course to play from the red tees. of the par 4's, you're driving #1, #5, #7, possibly #9, #10, #13, possibly #18. maximum 1 bunker green complexes.

Went down there to putt last night and ahoop and bangas were there. Love that place.

Hate people who chip on the putting greens when there are signs that say "no chipping on this green". That kind of stuff really bothers me.

EPP would be a great course to play from the red tees. of the par 4's, you're driving #1, #5, #7, possibly #9, #10, #13, possibly #18. maximum 1 bunker green complexes.

Went down there to putt last night and ahoop and bangas were there. Love that place.

Hate people who chip on the putting greens when there are signs that say "no chipping on this green". That kind of stuff really bothers me.

totally agree, bothers me too. did you say anything?

there's no sign at blue mash, but one is known as the putting green and the other one is the short game green. when it gets busy on the short game green, people have come over and hit chip shots on the "putting only" green. i've politely told people that they can't chip there. they must think i work there or something, because they always apologize and comply.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Two shoulder surgeries, but that was because I dislocated it and tore the labrum. Sounds like your issue is very different.

You're my partner today. We're going to positive talk ourselves to a glorious victory over the wimpy gimps.

I'll take my brother from another mother, Eazy-E, and we'll dispense a ruthless beatdown on you sucka fools.

#13 is just a stupid hole. It's about 320 from the blue tees directly over the trees to the green. I think it'd be alright if they just chopped down all those trees and built it as a driveable par 4. They'd have to build some other protection in to the hole, maybe more bunkering or something.

I remember #13 being particularly stupid from the red tees. I think we were all able to hit 7-iron or something over the trees and cut the corner, but an average woman playing from there couldn't do that. You'd have to hit it about 130 yards on your tee shot, then 160 on your approach.

I was reprimanded under the no chipping conditions once, but I was working on Texas wedges. I called BS.

Cameron Newport, 34"

I'll take my brother from another mother, Eazy-E, and we'll dispense a ruthless rubdown on you sucka fools.

Fixed. And thanks!

Cameron Newport, 34"

I'm in for rr anywhere anytime basically. Before late July.

Prefer BM to NW. Not a huge fan of NW either.

I'm flexy on tee time.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

there's no sign at blue mash, but one is known as the putting green and the other one is the short game green. when it gets busy on the short game green, people have come over and hit chip shots on the "putting only" green. i've politely told people that they can't chip there. they must think i work there or something, because they always apologize and comply.

I did. One dude was straight up hitting flop shots, and I went over and said "See the sign? No chipping on this green" He said "Ok?" and then he stopped. Shut up, dude.

There were multiple people hitting them after that. I would have had to tell like 5 more people to stop. I figure they're all just getting crushed with golf karma.

I did. One dude was straight up hitting flop shots, and I went over and said "See the sign? No chipping on this green" He said "Ok?" and then he stopped. Shut up, dude.

There were multiple people hitting them after that. I would have had to tell like 5 more people to stop. I figure they're all just getting crushed with golf karma.

I like Domes the Enforcer. Like a glove.

Cameron Newport, 34"