2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Frankly, I can't recall a single public course in Chicagoland that plays firm and fast on a regular basis. Maybe a handful of purists would love true links conditions, but I think the majority of golfers would freak out if their courses wasn't lush and green. 'Pity.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Frankly, I can't recall a single public course in Chicagoland that plays firm and fast on a regular basis. Maybe a handful of purists would love true links conditions, but I think the majority of golfers would freak out if their courses wasn't lush and green. 'Pity.

Bowes Creek usually plays firm. Glen Club (semi private) does as well.

But i agree w your comment that most golfers see brown on the course and associate it with being crappy. But brown is beautiful!

Blackstone is usually pretty firm and although I haven't been up this year, Oak Grove usually plays fast.

kenosha cc played pretty firm and fast yesterday (fun track!)

I've seen that Mt Prospect keeps it pretty firm and fast as well.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Blackstone is usually pretty firm and although I haven't been up this year, Oak Grove usually plays fast.

I agree on Blackstone. Unless the area is getting soaked, it always seems to play fast.

At a place like HOE, I think the over-watering is less about the course looking green and more about pace of play. The fairways are very generous. But, if it gets fast and is rolling out, now you're bringing a lot more trouble into play. That's going to slow down groups.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

I agree on Blackstone. Unless the area is getting soaked, it always seems to play fast.

At a place like HOE, I think the over-watering is less about the course looking green and more about pace of play. The fairways are very generous. But, if it gets fast and is rolling out, now you're bringing a lot more trouble into play. That's going to slow down groups.

Foxford Hills pretty much always plays fast and firm unless it's recently had a rain storm. Washington County, Stonewall Orchard, Chalet Hills and Prairie View also firm up nicely. The problem with Oak Grove is that it doesn't drain well so it's only fast and firm if it's going through a dry spell. I wish more courses were willing to play that way but so many customers demand a green course that it's just not gonna happen.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Due to all the rain we had this year up until August, no course was firm and fast. Blackstone is firm and fast now though. I have no problems backing up balls on the green, and I could barely hold some at Blackstone. I would imagine Prairie Landing is too. Very windy course that can dry out.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Finally got out to HOE this past weekend. Fun course, I would play it again, I don't think I would walk it again. I feel like they could have modified some of the routing so that you wouldn't have to walk some of the distances from green to tee they have out there. They punched greens a few weeks ago so they are still healing and the fairways were wet, almost as if it had rained wet. Few holes out there that you need to see more then once to understand what you can and can't hit and where you can and can't miss.

Overall it was fun. I'll definitely do it again.

I wish I would have hit the ball better but there is always that first round at a new course hesitation where I don't want to forcibly put myself into any problems, and while doing that, put myself into problems.

Thanks for the reference.

Shame to hear that they are continuing to over water the fairways at HofE. I mentioned it in this thread before, but that course is meant to play firm and fast...and in the past that was how the super let the course play. For some reason in the past season they have changed that practice and it's a real detriment to the course/design.

... Same thing at Prairie Bluff. Had a few downwind shots today I landed just short of the green and they either plugged or jumped out of their plug mark by a few inches. But the greens are pretty hard so landing on the green downwind releases to the back or just in the rough. And the fairways are getting very little roll with a driver.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Played Bryn Mawr CC today (first time). Course was in good shape and the caddies/staff were excellent. However, upon finishing the round, I was left feeling like I wanted something more.

That all said, got to play a par 3 with PGA Tour pro Morgan Hoffman. His iron off the tee was an impressive dart to 6-7 feet. On the green he noticed my CT and remarked "Nice Cameron."

I [jokingly] retorted that I got it from the Nationwide.

He paused and shot me a look, and then quipped "So who'd you steal it from?"

Good guy - wish we could have played/chatted with him more.

Finally got out to HOE this past weekend. Fun course, I would play it again, I don't think I would walk it again. I feel like they could have modified some of the routing so that you wouldn't have to walk some of the distances from green to tee they have out there. They punched greens a few weeks ago so they are still healing and the fairways were wet, almost as if it had rained wet. Few holes out there that you need to see more then once to understand what you can and can't hit and where you can and can't miss.

I wish I would have hit the ball better but there is always that first round at a new course hesitation where I don't want to forcibly put myself into any problems, and while doing that, put myself into problems.

Shame to hear that they are continuing to over water the fairways at HofE. I mentioned it in this thread before, but that course is meant to play firm and fast...and in the past that was how the super let the course play. For some reason in the past season they have changed that practice and it's a real detriment to the course/design.

... Same thing at Prairie Bluff. Had a few downwind shots today I landed just short of the green and they either plugged or jumped out of their plug mark by a few inches. But the greens are pretty hard so landing on the green downwind releases to the back or just in the rough. And the fairways are getting very little roll with a driver.

We had the same thing on Saturday at PB. Some of the areas just in front of the greens are low points where fairways seem to drain to naturally.

We had the same thing on Saturday at PB. Some of the areas just in front of the greens are low points where fairways seem to drain to naturally.

... Yesterday even high green fronts were effected. 3 holes specifically cost me any chance at birdie when I hit good shots that deserved better. Pin was up front on 12 and a low wedge that should have hit, bounced and rolled to or past the pin just stopped dead an inch out of it's pitch mark. 14 also had a front pin and same thing. 15 also had a white flag but I didn't quite catch my sw as well as I wanted and it came up just short but again stopped right there instead of trickling on. Then 16 had a white flag tucked behind the bunker (LOL is it ever any place else?) so I played a 6 iron out to the left of the bunker and it literally plugged on that upslope. I am guessing since we have had so little rain they must just be over watering.

I guess when I think of firm and fast I think of both fairways and greens, and not just during an extended dry spell. Yeah, we've had a lot of rain this year, but when you see the sprinklers going on the course after a storm you kind of scratch your head.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I have a driver fitting this Friday morning with Dennis Piant at Cool Clubs in Northfield. I had a fitting two and a half years ago with Dennis, and he did a great job. He put me in a Ping G30 at that time, and I swapped the head for a Ping G last year. I'm curious to see if the G400 is all they say it is.

Friday afternoon I'll be teeing it up at Twin Orchard CC. 'Looking forward to it.

... Just had the best round of my entire golfing life today at White Tail Ridge. I hit every fairway and virtually every green but one, with 3 shots on the fringe. One on the fringe landed about 3" from the pin jumped forward and spun back about 10' and off the green to the fringe. The one green I missed was a 242 yd par 3 to a back pin and a gentle breeze in my face so I hit a choked down driver and just pushed it a little afraid to swing 100% and fly the green so I missed the green by a good 15 yards right and the pin was back left. But I hit a good 60* to a few inches for a tap in. So other than the par 3 I had birdie putts on every single hole with 6 I would call makable and I made 3 of them, lipping out the others. And here is the kicker, my son borrowed my putter and didn't put it back in my bag n the trunk of my car so I had to borrow one from the pro shop. I have always used a 33" heel shafted blade putter and this was a beat up Tour Edge space ship looking 35" thing, but truthfully I only felt like one short breaking putt that I missed might have been holed with mine.

... So I finished with a 69 carding 3 birdies and 15 pars, and although I have scored lower I have always had some bad shots with a few miss hits sprinkled in. I just can't describe the feeling of hitting every single shot dead solid and my driver was just straight and long all day. Kinda crazy but I was a little nervous on 18 after another bombed drive and I had 152 to a front pin and was trying to block out the thought I might miss hit this one a little and ruin a perfect ball striking day. But hit a solid 8 iron to 6 feet under the hole and made the birdie. Just a very magical day that I may never repeat but of course there is always hope. Who needs drugs when you get this high off golf!

way to go, chisag!

that's an amazing feeling, and no I've never shot below 70...

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Just finished making one for The Highlands. Might have to try to get a round in before the end of the year, but probably wait another couple weeks, to ensure the greens have healed from the aeration at the beginning of the month. I somewhat enjoy making the yardage books, and have it down to taking about 2-3 hours to do one, though I usually just break it up to a few holes at a time. Now, I just need to head to a Kinko's or the like and find out what it will cost to print/bind it in color, so I don't have to use my phone. I have a top spiral bound idea in my head, that would allow it to easily be used.

Also, heading to Indian Boundary today for a work scramble. I'm liking our chances to go low. While a slightly different team each of the past 2 years, my team has shot a -12 and -8 the last two.

... Just had the best round of my entire golfing life today at White Tail Ridge. I hit every fairway and virtually every green but one, with 3 shots on the fringe. One on the fringe landed about 3" from the pin jumped forward and spun back about 10' and off the green to the fringe. The one green I missed was a 242 yd par 3 to a back pin and a gentle breeze in my face so I hit a choked down driver and just pushed it a little afraid to swing 100% and fly the green so I missed the green by a good 15 yards right and the pin was back left. But I hit a good 60* to a few inches for a tap in. So other than the par 3 I had birdie putts on every single hole with 6 I would call makable and I made 3 of them, lipping out the others. And here is the kicker, my son borrowed my putter and didn't put it back in my bag n the trunk of my car so I had to borrow one from the pro shop. I have always used a 33" heel shafted blade putter and this was a beat up Tour Edge space ship looking 35" thing, but truthfully I only felt like one short breaking putt that I missed might have been holed with mine.

... So I finished with a 69 carding 3 birdies and 15 pars, and although I have scored lower I have always had some bad shots with a few miss hits sprinkled in. I just can't describe the feeling of hitting every single shot dead solid and my driver was just straight and long all day. Kinda crazy but I was a little nervous on 18 after another bombed drive and I had 152 to a front pin and was trying to block out the thought I might miss hit this one a little and ruin a perfect ball striking day. But hit a solid 8 iron to 6 feet under the hole and made the birdie. Just a very magical day that I may never repeat but of course there is always hope. Who needs drugs when you get this high off golf!

So did you end up buying that putter????

Great round BTW.

I am very happy to report that Ravisloe CC has changed its singles booking policy to allow singles to book any open slot at any time. 'Nice. I'm not sure if this is a temporary change for the fall, or a permanent change, but it's nice to see.

I booked a 7:50 am tee time on Saturday.

I am very happy to report that Ravisloe CC has changed its singles booking policy to allow singles to book any open slot at any time. 'Nice. I'm not sure if this is a temporary change for the fall, or a permanent change, but it's nice to see.

Ravisloe one of the best public courses in Chicago?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

So did you end up buying that putter????

Great round BTW.

... Thanks and, ummmmm no.

One of the best maintained? I'd say it's up there yes. Layout is only okay though.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Looks like lohmann golf designs have finished grassing Phase 1 of the 3 phase Schaumburg Golf "Enhancement" Plan.

I've never played there.

Looks like Phase 1 was the Players course (par 35) and the driving range (I'm guessing it will open next summer).

Then it's the next two 9's, one per summer, Tournament and Baer.

Maybe I'll got play the Tournament and Baer just to have a baseline to see it post renovation.

TM TP5x

It's ranked #9 on Golfweek's 'Best: State-by-State Courses You Can Play 2016' list. It's generally been considered a top 10 course in the area. Some folks love it. Others think it's a bit overrated.

It's ranked #9 on Golfweek's 'Best: State-by-State Courses You Can Play 2016' list. It's generally been considered a top 10 course in the area. Some folks love it. Others think it's a bit overrated.

People who like old school Donald Ross designs as well as a country club feel (it was a private club until relatively recently, when it was purchased by a super eco-friendly guy) like it. The par 70 layout is a bit weird though, since there are back-to-back par fives (2 and 3) on the front as well as a stretch where 3 of 4 holes are par threes (6, 8, and 9). The tenth hole is also kind of odd because the entrance road into the course cuts right through the fairway. They're very Metra-friendly and will pick you up at the nearest stop, which is very close by. That's a nice touch. Personally, I think the #9 ranking is way too lofty. It's probably a top 30 public course in the area though. It fluctuates in my personal rankings because the pace can get really bad on weekends. In my opinion, they do twilight the right way since they start twilight rates five hours from sundown.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

yep, easily. Only public Donald Ross in the State. Some really tough par 3s make up for the lack of distance. Lots of fairway cross mounds and bunkers similar to all DR courses.

People who like old school Donald Ross designs as well as a country club feel (it was a private club until relatively recently, when it was purchased by a super eco-friendly guy) like it. The par 70 layout is a bit weird though, since there are back-to-back par fives (2 and 3) on the front as well as a stretch where 3 of 4 holes are par threes (6, 8, and 9). The tenth hole is also kind of odd because the entrance road into the course cuts right through the fairway. They're very Metra-friendly and will pick you up at the nearest stop, which is very close by. That's a nice touch. Personally, I think the #9 ranking is way too lofty. It's probably a top 30 public course in the area though. It fluctuates in my personal rankings because the pace can get really bad on weekends. In my opinion, they do twilight the right way since they start twilight rates five hours from sundown.

Probably a top 30 public course in the area? I'd love to hear your list of the 25 or so courses you think are better (assuming you've got 25 better since you have it as a borderline top 30).

I can definitely see an argument for Ravisloe not being a top 10 public, but can't imagine a list that has it outside the top 25.

The front par 3s are actually holes 4, 6 and 7. But, I agree, the front 9 layout is a bit weird, considering the back to back par 5s on 2 & 3. The back 9 at Ravisloe is far superior to the front in my humble opinion.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

I'd be one who thinks it's overrated but still dig it. The par 3's are great, a couple of interesting Par 4's, love the greens and the area's around them. My big gripe is the par 4's get a bit boring to play as they all end up being around the same yardage.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy