2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

We shot -10 today in the scramble, which I think was second behind a -14. We definitely left a few birdies out on the course, and had one bogey. I was considered the anchor of the team today, relying on some of my approach shots, and putts. I drained the eagle putt on 18, that the other 3 had missed (downhill right to left breaking from the fringe). When we flipped around (we started on 8), to the front, I managed birdie on my own on one (my drive, my 2nd which happened to hit left of the pin and danced right, finishing about 3 feet behind the hole, and I had to make the putt, as they all lipped out hah). By the time we hit the 3rd, like out 14th or so, the sun, heat, and humidity had basically drained all of us, and we were getting tired. A fun day though, for a good cause (they were donating proceeds to the cancer society).

I am very happy to report that Ravisloe CC has changed its singles booking policy to allow singles to book any open slot at any time. 'Nice. I'm not sure if this is a temporary change for the fall, or a permanent change, but it's nice to see.

I booked a 7:50 am tee time on Saturday.

Ravisloe one of the best public courses in Chicago?

It's ranked #9 on Golfweek's 'Best: State-by-State Courses You Can Play 2016' list. It's generally been considered a top 10 course in the area. Some folks love it. Others think it's a bit overrated.

People who like old school Donald Ross designs as well as a country club feel (it was a private club until relatively recently, when it was purchased by a super eco-friendly guy) like it. The par 70 layout is a bit weird though, since there are back-to-back par fives (2 and 3) on the front as well as a stretch where 3 of 4 holes are par threes (6, 8, and 9). The tenth hole is also kind of odd because the entrance road into the course cuts right through the fairway. They're very Metra-friendly and will pick you up at the nearest stop, which is very close by. That's a nice touch. Personally, I think the #9 ranking is way too lofty. It's probably a top 30 public course in the area though. It fluctuates in my personal rankings because the pace can get really bad on weekends. In my opinion, they do twilight the right way since they start twilight rates five hours from sundown.

Probably a top 30 public course in the area? I'd love to hear your list of the 25 or so courses you think are better (assuming you've got 25 better since you have it as a borderline top 30).

I can definitely see an argument for Ravisloe not being a top 10 public, but can't imagine a list that has it outside the top 25.

Ask and you shall receive. Full disclosure: I don't like old courses and I've never played Dubs. I also factor in cost, accessibility, and pace along with aesthetics, conditioning, and green speeds.

1. Thunderhawk: Easy #1. Great visuals, doesn't feel like it's an Illinois course, excellent variety

2. Highlands of Elgin: Best value, hands down. Top notch greens and lots of different shots needed.

3. Stonewall Orchard: I've got a thing for Arthur Hills courses. Great layout, excellent greens.

4. Bowes Creek: No walking rate stinks but that's my only knock.

5. Prairie Landing: A couple of forgettable holes but overall a top 5 for me. Distance from the city stinks.

6. Washington County: Maybe better than Stonewall, but not as accessible. Kind of a borderline Chicago area course.

7. Blackstone: Best greens in the area. Layout is excellent on the back and good on the front. Great value as the day goes on.

8. Foxford Hills: They need a walking rate. That's about my only gripe.

9. Chalet Hills: I'll take crap for this but I don't care. I like Chalet Hills a lot. I need every shot in the bag to score there. Great mixture of scoring holes and really tough ones.

10. Heritage Bluffs: The greens are inconsistent but tee to green it's a personal favorite.

11. Glen Erin: Maybe the best value/variety combo in the area, but it's in Janesville, which isn't exactly around the corner. Tour length par 5s and 3s.

12. Pine Meadows: Tee to green, it's an awesome track. If only the greens were consistent.

13. Prairie View: Actually, this is the best value. I can't do better than $18 for 18 holes. Plus, the course quality is excellent.

14. Arrowhead: A bit pricy for a 6700 yard course, but the quality is undeniable.

15. Big Run: Let the hate come in. I feed off it. It's my favorite drug. It's got everything except good greens. Also, I only walk it in the fall and spring, which brings down the accessibility factor.

16. Oak Grove: I've soured on Oak Grove but it's still a great course. I wish it drained better and had some &$@#%*¥ drinking water.

17. Brighton Dale Links: I'll just bunch Blue and White together here. Variety, value and challenge make up for sketchy pace.

18. Steeple Chase: Great usage of basically one huge water hazard. So close to Countryside yet so much better. A rare fast and firm course.

19. White Hawk: Greens, variety, length, crazy high numbers (somehow a 76 rating on one combo)

20. Village Links: Good layout but overpriced until the twilight rate, which is always booked in advance.

Okay, my wife is staring bullets at me to go start dinner. Still no Ravisloe.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

^^^^^^ 1. I think Ravisloe is 100% a top ten course in Chicago. May just not be your style (as you stated). 2. Leaving Cantigny out of your top 20 basically nulls this list for me.

I've never played Cantigny. Too pricy. I'm cheap. It's why I always walk

Piretti Cottonwood II

Well, it seems my time in the Chi is going to be coming to an end in the next month. Earlier this year my mom was diagnosed with liver cancer, and she is basically by herself in Ohio. I just had a gaming license approved in Pittsburgh, so I will be moving back to Ohio in the next 3 or 4 weeks. Have had a pleasure meeting and playing some of you Chi folks, but I might have to acquaint myself with either the OH or PA players, assuming any will play near me (small Ohio town on the Ohio River).

Well, it seems my time in the Chi is going to be coming to an end in the next month. Earlier this year my mom was diagnosed with liver cancer, and she is basically by herself in Ohio. I just had a gaming license approved in Pittsburgh, so I will be moving back to Ohio in the next 3 or 4 weeks. Have had a pleasure meeting and playing some of you Chi folks, but I might have to acquaint myself with either the OH or PA players, assuming any will play near me (small Ohio town on the Ohio River).

I'm really sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you and your mom.

All good thoughts for your mother. Hope your relocation goes smoothly and you continue to post as time allows.

Have always enjoyed seeing you on the forums, knowing you're a Chicagoan.

Best,,,

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Sorry to hear about your mom. A friend of mine moved to Pittsburgh last year and used WRX to meet up with some new people and get in a few rounds with like-minded golfers. That might be worth a shot.

Piretti Cottonwood II

15. Big Run: Let the hate come in. I feed off it. It's my favorite drug. It's got everything except good greens. Also, I only walk it in the fall and spring, which brings down the accessibility factor.

663b47158797f275df668ed9ba28f996.jpg

"It's got everything except good greens" is like saying, "Dude, she's hot except for her body."

I like a lot of your list (except for Big Run which confuses me), just need to get Cantigny on there and I'd be curious to know where it fits in once you have played it...

Making the trek to Oak Grove tomorrow for 17 holes of great golf and the most f'd up hole in Chicago.

#11 is goofy, but the honor of most f'd up hole or holes in Chicagoland must go to Lost Marsh.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

... And #3 at Naperbrook. Hard enough hole for a low index when the wind is howling, but just about impossible for a high index muni player that has no idea if his ball is gonna go right or left. With water in play on both sides and no tee shot other than absolutely straight necessary, I have seen more balls in the water on this hole than any other I have played. Early this week with a good 15-20 mph wind in our face I watched all 3 of my pards put the ball in the water off the tee. 2 dropped but one wanted to re-tee as he hit it in on the left side and proceeded to hit a whopping slice into the water on the right. Then 2 of them hit it in the water with their second shots as they had to carry the water on the right. 6 balls in the water for 3 players after 2 shots and only one was in the fairway because he chose to hit it around the water instead of over.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Making the trek to Oak Grove tomorrow for 17 holes of great golf and the most f'd up hole in Chicago.

#11 is goofy, but the honor of most f'd up hole or holes in Chicagoland must go to Lost Marsh.

I'll nominate #4 at Sanctuary

The short par 3??? Are you thinking of #3, the short par 4? That hole is somewhat tight target golf, but nowhere near the madness of Lost Marsh.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

The short par 3??? Are you thinking of #3, the short par 4? That hole is somewhat tight target golf, but nowhere near the madness of Lost Marsh.

... #4 is the short par 3. #3 is the short par 4 with water right, train tracks left and a very narrow landing area. I like that hole as it is a nice short hole that demands an accurate long iron off the tee after 2 holes were you can basically blast your driver anywhere but left. Although I am not a fan of #5 that demands a very good and long tee shot and a perfect lay up to a very narrow landing area that can easily block your 3rd shot if not dread center. A fair but very difficult hole.

... #4 is the short par 3. #3 is the short par 4 with water right, train tracks left and a very narrow landing area. I like that hole as it is a nice short hole that demands an accurate long iron off the tee after 2 holes were you can basically blast your driver anywhere but left. Although I am not a fan of #5 that demands a very good and long tee shot and a perfect lay up to a very narrow landing area that can easily block your 3rd shot if not dread center. A fair but very difficult hole.

I like #5. Its tough, but fair. All about that second shot. Toughest hole at Sanctuary, in my opinion. I agree with your thoughts on #3. Good hole as #1 and #2 are very straightforward.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

... And #3 at Naperbrook. Hard enough hole for a low index when the wind is howling, but just about impossible for a high index muni player that has no idea if his ball is gonna go right or left. With water in play on both sides and no tee shot other than absolutely straight necessary, I have seen more balls in the water on this hole than any other I have played. Early this week with a good 15-20 mph wind in our face I watched all 3 of my pards put the ball in the water off the tee. 2 dropped but one wanted to re-tee as he hit it in on the left side and proceeded to hit a whopping slice into the water on the right. Then 2 of them hit it in the water with their second shots as they had to carry the water on the right. 6 balls in the water for 3 players after 2 shots and only one was in the fairway because he chose to hit it around the water instead of over.

#3 isn't an easy hole but wouldn't label it as a bad design like #11 at Oak Grove. I sadly fall into the category you listed and hit hybrid short of the trouble, hybrid to the 150 marker and play in from there.

Ask and you shall receive. Full disclosure: I don't like old courses and I've never played Dubs. I also factor in cost, accessibility, and pace along with aesthetics, conditioning, and green speeds.

1. Thunderhawk: Easy #1. Great visuals, doesn't feel like it's an Illinois course, excellent variety

2. Highlands of Elgin: Best value, hands down. Top notch greens and lots of different shots needed.

3. Stonewall Orchard: I've got a thing for Arthur Hills courses. Great layout, excellent greens.

4. Bowes Creek: No walking rate stinks but that's my only knock.

5. Prairie Landing: A couple of forgettable holes but overall a top 5 for me. Distance from the city stinks.

6. Washington County: Maybe better than Stonewall, but not as accessible. Kind of a borderline Chicago area course.

7. Blackstone: Best greens in the area. Layout is excellent on the back and good on the front. Great value as the day goes on.

8. Foxford Hills: They need a walking rate. That's about my only gripe.

9. Chalet Hills: I'll take crap for this but I don't care. I like Chalet Hills a lot. I need every shot in the bag to score there. Great mixture of scoring holes and really tough ones.

10. Heritage Bluffs: The greens are inconsistent but tee to green it's a personal favorite.

11. Glen Erin: Maybe the best value/variety combo in the area, but it's in Janesville, which isn't exactly around the corner. Tour length par 5s and 3s.

12. Pine Meadows: Tee to green, it's an awesome track. If only the greens were consistent.

13. Prairie View: Actually, this is the best value. I can't do better than $18 for 18 holes. Plus, the course quality is excellent.

14. Arrowhead: A bit pricy for a 6700 yard course, but the quality is undeniable.

16. Oak Grove: I've soured on Oak Grove but it's still a great course. I wish it drained better and had some &$@#%*¥ drinking water.

17. Brighton Dale Links: I'll just bunch Blue and White together here. Variety, value and challenge make up for sketchy pace.

18. Steeple Chase: Great usage of basically one huge water hazard. So close to Countryside yet so much better. A rare fast and firm course.

19. White Hawk: Greens, variety, length, crazy high numbers (somehow a 76 rating on one combo)

20. Village Links: Good layout but overpriced until the twilight rate, which is always booked in advance.

Okay, my wife is staring bullets at me to go start dinner. Still no Ravisloe.

Thanks for posting. Can't say I agree with the list and some of those courses don't count because they aren't even in Illinois. But did appreciate the write up.

#3 isn't an easy hole but wouldn't label it as a bad design like #11 at Oak Grove. I sadly fall into the category you listed and hit hybrid short of the trouble, hybrid to the 150 marker and play in from there.

4 hybrids played on one hole, and each different clubs...

Sorry I meant #5, the terrible par 5 with a landing zone the size of a picnic table. The landing zone for the 2nd is honestly 10 yards wide maybe? I don't know if it is "fair" or not because everyone plays it, but it's just not a well designed hole. The green is small and crowned, so it's not like it's easy to run one on there when you are blocked out.

I don't mind #3 that much. It's a little tight with no real bailout, but a long iron is all that's needed on that tee. I agree that the first 6 at Lost Marsh are about as crazy as target golf can get.

Mistwood at 11:10..... WTH is with this weather? Really not looking forward to playing when it's 95*... Hopeing for some breeze.

No doubt, but heat and humidity will make the ball fly far

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Mistwood at 11:10..... WTH is with this weather? Really not looking forward to playing when it's 95*... Hopeing for some breeze.

No doubt, but heat and humidity will make the ball fly far

... I played Wedgwood yesterday in that 95* heat and high humidity. The ball did really fly, and I saw the girls high school team teeing off of #1 as I was playing #18 and one of them almost drove the green! But I kinda felt ill after about 12 holes and was trying to drink plenty of water but obviously not enough. It was brutal out there and the course was empty.

"It's got everything except good greens" is like saying, "Dude, she's hot except for her body."

Yes, that comment seems strange to me too - for the reason you pointed out and the fact that there is nothing wrong with the greens at Big Run. They are about as interesting and challenging as any in the area, and they are generally kept in pretty good nick. Generally fewer ball marks than most public courses. The grass may be kept a little longer/slower than some greens, but that is necessitated by their general severity. They roll just fine.

Yes, that comment seems strange to me too - for the reason you pointed out and the fact that there is nothing wrong with the greens at Big Run. They are about as interesting and challenging as any in the area, and they are generally kept in pretty good nick. Generally fewer ball marks than most public courses. The grass may be kept a little longer/slower than some greens, but that is necessitated by their general severity. They roll just fine.

When I've played it the greens have always been chewed and slow. But I don't play it nearly as often as I'd like to. There were people on here saying it was the worst course in Chicago not that long ago. That's the source of the hate I was planning on getting.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Sorry I meant #5, the terrible par 5 with a landing zone the size of a picnic table. The landing zone for the 2nd is honestly 10 yards wide maybe? I don't know if it is "fair" or not because everyone plays it, but it's just not a well designed hole. The green is small and crowned, so it's not like it's easy to run one on there when you are blocked out.

I don't mind #3 that much. It's a little tight with no real bailout, but a long iron is all that's needed on that tee. I agree that the first 6 at Lost Marsh are about as crazy as target golf can get.

As weird as holes 1, 4, and 5 are at Lost Marsh (2 and 3 are tough but not as super gimmicky as the others in the opening section), I don't think those are the holes Bear was making reference to. He's talking about 10, where you have to hit a draw out over the 18th fairway off the tee, and 14, the zig zag par 5 with a blind landing area for your second shot and downhill approach shot to the green. I like Lost Marsh every once in a while but the layout of those holes is beyond stupid. I can excuse a course having one par 5 that's poorly laid out (Oak Grove 11, Stonewall 18, etc.). I can't excuse a course in which three of the four par 5s are that bad.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Agreed. They definitely need to keep the greens running slow, or they are practically unpattable. Last time I played BR, I 6-putted 18, since the ball needed to hit the hole or it would roll off the green.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Surprisingly pleasant round at Mistwood. Played in 4 hours flat (with one guy in my foursome picking up his ball every other hole). Tee to green the course is in great shape, but the greens are still healing from recent aeration. They were slower and bumpier then usual, which made putting quite a challenge. We played the black tees (6400). On the front 9, I was 3 3-putts away from shooting even par (39). After birdie on 10, I basically parred every hole through 15 (Kelpie’s Corner was playing directly into the wind). Skulled 60* wedge on 16 resulted in miraculous bogey. Had a 12’ putt on 18 for 1 under, but left it an inch short. Relatively uneventful even par 36, for a total of 75. Can’t say I’m too unhappy, considering I’ve been struggling with the driver lately. A conscious effort to hit a fade is paying dividends. Cog #2 tomorrow at 1.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter