2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Anyone played Harborside lately? Playing in their event on Sunday with the 6/6/6 format. Sunday looks 66 with thunderstorms, which may complicate things. I know we are playing both Front-9's, but anyone been out there recently?

With rain forecast for much of the day tomorrow, I wouldn't be shocked if it was cart path only on Sunday. They've done a great job with the bunker renovation, but now they have to do something about the poor drainage. I haven't played there since mid-August. It seems every time I wanted to book we'd get several days of rain leading into the weekend, which is almost always going to result in CPO.

Yup, was indeed CPO. Which isn't ideal in a tournament with people all over the place. But got some exercise walking to and from the cart path. Other good thing is all that walking got the blood flowing. As you suggested, the drainage was poor, at best. There was standing water in several places prior to us teeing off, and the 3-4 holes we played in the rain certainly didn't help either. Fairways were in good shape, the greens weren't great. Overall a 5/10 course condition.

Can we make a motion to have whoever is setting the tee markers on holes, not put them in low-lying areas when it's wet/rainy? We were standing in a puddle on several holes, and it made it difficult, especially on par 3's.

Played Cantigny today, course is in great condition. Discounted at $75 which still seems high for this time of the year.

Seems crazy expensive, considering I played the Original 18 at Blackwolf Run over the weekend for the same price.

I like the original layout, especially for $75. I wish the 1st hole was later in the round. It’s a fun hole, but the second shot up to Meadow 9 green is hard. That green is also challenging, there’s not a straight 3 footer on it. Meadow Valley 14 (island green par 4), I guess it’s 5? on Original layout, always gets me.

Ack. I thought winter doesn't start until December 21st. This weekend is looking cold and wet. I have a few vacation days that I need to use or lose, so I booked a cheap flight to Orlando next week. 78 degrees and sunny is more like it.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Ack. I thought winter doesn't start until December 21st. This weekend is looking cold and wet. I have a few vacation days that I need to use or lose, so I booked a cheap flight to Orlando next week. 78 degrees and sunny is more like it.

Whaaaat? Saturday is going to be 41...and balmy. Not much wind...it's fall golf in Chicago!

BTW...some lucky people are playing Bandon this weekend!

Whaaaat? Saturday is going to be 41...and balmy. Not much wind...it's fall golf in Chicago!

Oh, I'm sure I'll be out there on Saturday and Sunday.

Anybody want to tee it up Saturday morning at Mt Prospect? The tee sheet is wide open. They don't allow singles to book in an empty slot.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Played Sanctuary yesterday. Course is in real good shape. Best of all, course did not have many golfers. Played with my bil and got done in approx. 21/2 hrs.

Shot an 87 which was not bad (for me) given the wind. Had a 147 yd shot into the wind. Grabbed my 4 iron and shot went about 135yds. Funny thing was I thought I crushed it :swoon:

15 hcp

39 with possible flurries on Saturday. YES! Fall golf in Chicago and hopefully a mostly empty course. I'll be playing HoE.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Hmmm, it doesn't look like it's going to hit the 40's until tomorrow afternoon, and even then the windchill will be in the low 30's. With overnight temps in the 20's, frost delays are an almost certainty. I'll probably get up early tomorrow and make a few calls to see who's open, and when play can begin.

Edit: OK, I'm nuts, but not crazy. With the rain/snow yesterday, it's going to be a sloppy mess out there even if it does get above freezing. There's more rain and snow in the forecast for tonight, so tomorrow is looking grim as well. I guess I'll go grab my clubs out the the SUV, and pack them for the trip to Florida. Having five or six rounds next week in the south certainly makes the decision to pass on this weekend a whole lot easier.

Very nice afternoon round at Springbrook. The wind was down so temps weren't an issue and the sun made a guest appearance. They aerated and sanded the greens very recently with the big tines and I think they rolled the greens multiple times as they were really firm and it wasn't frozen ground by any means.. There was literally no holding a green regardless of trajectory or spin. Had numerous shots run off the back of the green on nice little lofted wedges from 50 yards. Teed off at 1 and was done before 3:30. Love being able to just hit the ball and go.

Fingers crossed this isn't the last round...

Very nice afternoon round at Springbrook. The wind was down so temps weren't an issue and the sun made a guest appearance. They aerated and sanded the greens very recently with the big tines and I think they rolled the greens multiple times as they were really firm and it wasn't frozen ground by any means.. There was literally no holding a green regardless of trajectory or spin. Had numerous shots run off the back of the green on nice little lofted wedges from 50 yards. Teed off at 1 and was done before 3:30. Love being able to just hit the ball and go.

Knew I should have played golf instead of watching 2 consecutive losing football games!

(Clubs been away in NW Iowa for a bit, nice to know some Midwesterners are still pioneers at heart).

Knew I should have played golf instead of watching 2 consecutive losing football games!

(Clubs been away in NW Iowa for a bit, nice to know some Midwesterners are still pioneers at heart).

Hey Hawk...was worried about your boys coming off the huge emotional win last week. Poor Sparty caught the brunt of the angry Buckeyes. That was brutal.

There's a fine line between a pioneer and a stupid person...I'm getting really close to the wrong one!

Hope you're well Sir.

Hawkeye, aren’t you going to Scotland soon?

Played in somewhat mixed elements at Sportsman's this morning. Bit of mist, bit of cold, bit of wind, bit of drizzle.

Approaches were somewhat damp and greens rather firm.

Layered up and brought two flasks. One contained coffee.

Considering the date, a glorious morning.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Is VNutz out there this week? He might hit drives 400yards with the roll out!

I had to miss our Mesquite trip this week so I’m looking at Bandon in the spring.

Hey Hawkey, as a Husker fan all I know anymore is losing football games. Is your daughter still at UNL?

I had to miss our Mesquite trip this week so I’m looking at Bandon in the spring.

He is and has sent some great pics. Maybe he'll share his story and pics when he gets back.

He is and has sent some great pics. Maybe he'll share his story and pics when he gets back.

Cool. One of my buddies went out for the Nebraska-Oregon game earlier this year and they played there. Just raved about it. It’s different to get that first hand account as opposed to just reading about it here.

Come on V...share...

I don't want to gum up this thread with my thoughts on playing elsewhere, but I'll say it's simply an amazing piece of property and set of courses. I've not done a Scotland or Ireland type trip, so this was something of a first for me, simply surreal. The only bit of comparison I have experience with is Arcadia Bluffs in Michigan, and while I love that course this is so much better it's not funny. The Dunes courses are simply stunning visually and are an incredible challenge to play. The Trails course is an awesome change of pace that feels somewhat like some midwest courses set in forests.

It's expensive, it's a pain in the a** to get there, and you take the risk of being completely washed out by wind and rain. And it's totally worth it.

Come on V...share...

I don't want to gum up this thread with my thoughts on playing elsewhere, but I'll say it's simply an amazing piece of property and set of courses. I've not done a Scotland or Ireland type trip, so this was something of a first for me, simply surreal. The only bit of comparison I have experience with is Arcadia Bluffs in Michigan, and while I love that course this is so much better it's not funny. The Dunes courses are simply stunning visually and are an incredible challenge to play. The Trails course is an awesome change of pace that feels somewhat like some midwest courses set in forests.

It's expensive, it's a pain in the a** to get there, and you take the risk of being completely washed out by wind and rain. And it's totally worth it.

It is golf heaven, in my opinion, nothing like it and soon to be a 5th 18 hole course.

Best golf dome in the area? Live on 7 Bridges in Lisle, use to go to the Links & Tees dome, but was wondering if there are any that may be a little bigger? I live pretty close to McQ's, but haven't been there yet. Are they all pretty short distance-wise, or do any stand out in any way?

The best dome is Links & Tees far and away. It's about 85 yards to the back wall. McQ's is good but needs a bit better lighting. There's a very nice sports bar and good food if you're so inclined.

... Dave have you, or anyone else, been to Top Golf? I hear from casual golfers that it is a fun place, but not sure of you can get in some serious practice there. I don't drink and only eat organic/grass fed meat so that rules out half Top Golf's charm.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

I want to say White Pines is a little deeper than McQs or Links and Tees, but I haven't been to those in a while.

Top Golf is exactly what you hear chisag, a great place for groups of casual golfers, but if you're trying to work on your game or dial in numbers it's both not what you're looking for and likely not cost effective. But there's also the occasional attractive female, occasional...

... Dave have you, or anyone else, been to Top Golf? I hear from casual golfers that it is a fun place, but not sure of you can get in some serious practice there. I don't drink and only eat organic/grass fed meat so that rules out half Top Golf's charm.

I've been to Top Golf and I'd say it's more about entertainment as opposed to practice. The balls have the microchips in them and if they're not perfectly positioned they can throw the ball flight off.

Get ready for VNutz to say it was my ugly swing that threw the flight off!

... Thanks guys, I will avoid Top Golf. Maybe get down to Cog Hill and hit under the heaters.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X