2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

My Shot: Steve Williams (Golf Digest interview)

straightshot7

Good interview with some interesting insights from Steve Williams

http://www.golfdiges...-steve-williams

Excerpt:

"THERE'S MORE to that Tiger hole-out than you probably know. After Tiger inspected the green and was walking back to his ball, he pointed out an old ball mark on the green. It was the size of a dime, almost fully healed, practically invisible. He said, "You think if I hit that spot, it'll take the slope without going into the bunker?" His concern was the left greenside bunker; if the ball came off the slope with too much speed, it definitely could roll in there. I told him I liked that play. He then hit that old ball mark exactly, from 20 feet away from a tough lie. That the ball went in the hole was sort of a miracle, but hitting the old ball mark on the fly was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1433211864' post='11671548']
"TIGER RECEIVED a lot of threats you never heard about—on an almost weekly basis—for years. The PGA Tour people provided security, and it wasn't unusual for one of them to apprise me of some phone call or letter that had come in. "

So much for those who said

The threats to TW were

"BS"
[/quote]

further in that same blurb, about the autograph seekers, i can attest to that with my own eyes. at firestone, i swear tiger nearly had his feet swept out from under him by a bunch of kids running full-speed across the first hole as tiger was making his way from the driving range. security definitely missed the boat on that one.

Thanks for posting. Nice read.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

[quote name='Night train' timestamp='1433252736' post='11673688']
Was never really a fan, but it was a very good interview. Nice read!
[/quote]

Agreed...I've never been a big Steve fan. However, after reading this I actually like him more.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Taylormade  Gloire U4 Utility Iron JDM 20* - Nippon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1433211864' post='11671548']
"TIGER RECEIVED a lot of threats you never heard about—on an almost weekly basis—for years. The PGA Tour people provided security, and it wasn't unusual for one of them to apprise me of some phone call or letter that had come in. "

So much for those who said

The threats to TW were

"BS"
[/quote]I was thinking the same thing, but they are gonna say Tiger or Nike paid Stevie to say that in the interview. And paid the OP to post it here so that we all could see it. Apparently TW is all over these boards in his spare time.

Ha! I thought it was just one page. It is 3. This was interesting>

[b]DID TIGER[/b][color=#333333] do PEDs [performance-enhancing drugs]? There's no chance. Love him or hate him, Tiger always respected the game. He knows its history and people, its standing in sports and the world. He always knew what golf did for him personally. Whether PEDs have been used by other people is a good question, because it's occurred in every other sport. So why would golf be any different? The PGA Tour tries so hard to promote a squeaky-clean image, and we all know that's not the case, certainly with recreational drugs and probably the other stuff. I saw no specific cases and was never particularly interested in the subject. But, yeah, I'm sure it's gone on.[/color]

awesome read. i was struck by this quote the most...it's the truth.

[b]AGAIN AND AGAIN[/b][color=#333333] over the years, Tiger would say, "I want to own my swing, not rent it." Nobody I saw in my 35 years on tour tried harder to own his swing than Tiger. He was obsessed with always getting better. The irony is, by changing coaches so much, it led to him renting several swings instead of owning just one, which upset his original goal. But he was very good at renting.[/color]

I like that Stevie gives props to Johnny Miller

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Great insight to the life and to Tiger Woods. People just don't really get how hard it was for him to be him in those days, still is. But it is easy to point the finger at the hugely successful guy and say how evil he is. I loved this article.

Taylormade M1 460 - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 fairway - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 hybrids 4&5 - Aldila Rouge 110
Taylormade PSi Tour irons - KBS Tour
Taylormade EF Wedges ATV Grind - KBS Wedge
Nike Method Mod 60

Steve never saw Tiger take PEDs and didn't think he did them. Also had no idea Tiger had 19 affairs either. Can't say you know what Tiger did off the course as far as PEDs go and also miss one of the biggest scandals in sports history.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1433279356' post='11677132']
Steve never saw Tiger take PEDs and didn't think he did them. Also had no idea Tiger had 19 affairs either. Can't say you know what Tiger did off the course as far as PEDs go and also miss one of the biggest scandals in sports history.
[/quote]
People a lot closer to him than you, say he didn't use. Why try to start something just for the sake of doing it?
Oh, I get it. You just can't stand the thought of Woods being thought kindly of.......

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1433279903' post='11677184'][quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1433279356' post='11677132']
[/quote]
People a lot closer to him than you, say he didn't use. Why try to start something just for the sake of doing it?
Oh, I get it. You just can't stand the thought of Woods being thought kindly of.......[/quote]

I'm not a Tiger hater and he probably didn't do them, but Steve said he doesn't know what Tiger does off the course. Can't have it both ways.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1433280402' post='11677236']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1433279903' post='11677184'][quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1433279356' post='11677132']
[/quote]
Oh, I get it. You just can't stand the thought of Woods being thought kindly of.......[/quote]

I'm not a Tiger hater and he probably didn't do them, but Steve said he doesn't know what Tiger does off the course. Can't have it both ways.
[/quote]
[b]"DID TIGER[/b][color=#333333] do PEDs [performance-enhancing drugs]? There's no chance. Love him or hate him, Tiger always respected the game."[/color]
[color=#333333]When does "no chance" not mean no period?[/color]

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1433280402' post='11677236']
[/quote]

[/quote]

He is on the record now and the reasons Stevie says, [b]"Not a chance" [/b]about PEDs will annoy the "non-fans" to no end>

[b][color=#333333]"Love him or hate him, Tiger always respected the game. He knows its history and people, its standing in sports and the world. He always knew what golf did for him personally."[/color][/b]

Now 2 of his inner professional circle, Stevie and Haney, both who did not seem to part ways very amicably, could benefit (especially Haney) by even hinting it was possible, and both of whom have not been shy about criticism, both answer this question the same way. Not, "I don't know", but "No".

Not one person has ever claimed or hinted that they know TW took PEDs.

You can't know if you aren't around the guy during all the times when he would have taken PEDs. Tiger hid his infidelities from Hank and Steve. They all claim they had no idea about his girls. Then it's also possible he hid PED use too.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1433280875' post='11677274'][quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1433280402' post='11677236']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[b]"DID TIGER[/b][color=#333333] do PEDs [performance-enhancing drugs]? There's no chance. Love him or hate him, Tiger always respected the game."[/color]
[color=#333333]When does "no chance" not mean no period?[/color][/quote]are you looking for a fight?

That's a great interview with great insight. Please don't turn this thread into to something else.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Again, I doubt Tiger did PEDs. But there is the Gallea connection. I just don't like Steve saying "For sure Tiger didn't do them" when arguably the biggest sports scandal in the 21st century happened for years right under his nose.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna