2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Monte - Drive for dough

Millwrong

I've downloaded the video(s), there is some amazing content. Already I've implemented a couple of the ideas, but some are going to be a lot harder than others. I tried the bump and dump, and really just ended up with massive slices. When I stopped trying that, the results were really good.

My question is, as someone rebuilding their swing this way, here are 3 ways I can think to approach it:

1. Contact Monte for some ongoing video lessons, effectively using this video for reference, but getting Monte to tell me what is more or less urgent for me to work on

2. Pick a subject, and practice it to death, without worrying about other things yet. For example at this early stage, worry about getting the setup and backswing solid before diving into the transition at all, but more specifically, work on shoulder feel, then hip feel, then knee feel. Dedicate a whole week of practice to one small area. It won't be much fun this way, but would be a thorough way to practice.

3. Try to work on as much as I can handle at once. So work on backswing as well and bump/dump/hips, sequence, etc. This will be more interesting than point 2, but I do worry I'll end up with a million swing thoughts in order to have any control over the swing.

Any thoughts on which option (or others) might work best?

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've downloaded the video(s), there is some amazing content. Already I've implemented a couple of the ideas, but some are going to be a lot harder than others. I tried the bump and dump, and really just ended up with massive slices. When I stopped trying that, the results were really good.

My question is, as someone rebuilding their swing this way, here are 3 ways I can think to approach it:

1. Contact Monte for some ongoing video lessons, effectively using this video for reference, but getting Monte to tell me what is more or less urgent for me to work on

2. Pick a subject, and practice it to death, without worrying about other things yet. For example at this early stage, worry about getting the setup and backswing solid before diving into the transition at all, but more specifically, work on shoulder feel, then hip feel, then knee feel. Dedicate a whole week of practice to one small area. It won't be much fun this way, but would be a thorough way to practice.

3. Try to work on as much as I can handle at once. So work on backswing as well and bump/dump/hips, sequence, etc. This will be more interesting than point 2, but I do worry I'll end up with a million swing thoughts in order to have any control over the swing.

Bump and dump is more subtle than you think and extremely hard to consciously implement. Try instead to keep your right elbow in front of your right hip, the rest is all rotation and natural hip movement.

Hope this helps for you. Always helps to include a video!!

Bump and dump is more subtle than you think and extremely hard to consciously implement. Try instead to keep your right elbow in front of your right hip, the rest is all rotation and natural hip movement.

Hope this helps for you. Always helps to include a video!!

Thanks.

This was taken on the 3rd day of trying out some Monte tips. At this point I'd ditched the bump and dump, but kept a bunch of other tips:

These were two different swings, one was dead straight, the other a small fade, both around 265y.

I watched (actually just listened) to video 2 again, and things are really starting to fall into place in my mind. I'm massively impressed by the theory and the communication, it's a bargain at 10x the price, no joking.

I was trying a couple of things on the virtual range, and had a solid 7i going, good distance and direction for me, so decided to try the No Turn Cast Drill. I could tell Monte quite liked this drill in the way he talked about it, and all I can say is OMG!!! Without giving too much away, Monte explains that you should try for fun two moves that every teacher tells you not to do. It feels stupid, but the ball was going the exact same distance as my full swing and pretty straight overall.

Really had a moment of "You know nothing Jon Snow"

These were two different swings, one was dead straight, the other a small fade, both around 265y.

Video helps. You can still get your elbow more in front of your hips. Watch the chapters about shoulders, it will help allow your body to accomplish the elbow movement.

Face on video... Your entire golf bag emerges during your backswing. Thats too much lateral motion. Your left hip (as a leftie) should move behind you, not to your left. "Deep right hip" is what Monte calls it. Make sure to keep secondary spine.

That's it, after a month of hitting my drives on every inch of the clubface except the center i'm gonna download this tonight and give it a go. Just from reading through the thread and how helpful Monte has been I feel like it's a no brainer to buy the video for 50 bucks to support him. Here's hoping I can plenty of good info out of it, judging by the reception from others I think i certainly will.

Video helps. You can still get your elbow more in front of your hips. Watch the chapters about shoulders, it will help allow your body to accomplish the elbow movement.

Face on video... Your entire golf bag emerges during your backswing. Thats too much lateral motion. Your left hip (as a leftie) should move behind you, not to your left. "Deep right hip" is what Monte calls it. Make sure to keep secondary spine.

thanks, this analysis seems spot on, I will watch for drills on those 2 things especially.

OK, got a lot out of that analysis, consistently 10y longer when I put it all together tonight. Not moving laterally has way upped my centre of club face. It almost feels like i didn't know what it was on the driver before tonight, hit a tonne out of the middle. The feel I can explain as:

• Put hips a little over front leg, head starts back
  • Hips and shoulders just turn from here, very little lateral movement
  • From top push hips toward target a little, while getting shoulders in front of body, while releasing hands

OK, got a lot out of that analysis, consistently 10y longer when I put it all together tonight. Not moving laterally has way upped my centre of club face. It almost feels like i didn't know what it was on the driver before tonight, hit a tonne out of the middle. The feel I can explain as:

• Put hips a little over front leg, head starts back
  • Hips and shoulders just turn from here, very little lateral movement
  • From top push hips toward target a little, while getting shoulders in front of body, while releasing hands

1) pressure should be 55/45 on your front foot.

2) sounds about right. turning to where you're back is facing at address. left shoulder over right foot on backswing, right shoulder over left foot on follow through.

3) Hips still firing way too early. This is a still from your video. right elbow needs to be on other side of your R hip. You may be able to achieve this with the thought of "dont move my hips at all on the downswing"

Just got done with my first viewing of D4D and wanted to send a quick shout out to Monte for producing such a well-done instructional video. The production value and content are excellent. Monte's camera presence is really solid and he delivers his message with a comfortable, direct, and confident tone.

I've seen plenty of his YT clips but I guess I never really paid attention to his full swing as so many of those YT clips are drill related. I REALLY like the efficiency of Monte's action.

$49 well spent!

Crediting Monte for a the wedge speed drill from D4D (41:06 mark of Part 2). This has become my "go to" drill when I lose the feel of proper swingpath.

That drill is phenomenal.

I've had some of the best ball striking days the last 2 weeks since purchasing the video. I'm back to 250+ every drive and dead center of the clubface with my driver all day long. My misses are just stuff that bounces to the first cut, It's been awesome.

• 3 months later...

Wanted to thank Monte. I picked up the video yesterday and watched it last night. A lot of good information.

Because I'm a pretty accurate driver of the golf ball, I wasn't sure how much D4D would help me. Just watching the first ten minutes of D4D, my skepticism was quickly dismissed. The video confirmed a lot of what I'm already doing correctly. Further, there are several techniques that Monte highlights which I plan on working into my swing. I'm confident that these techniques will allow me to up my swing speed 10% and strike the ball more consistently. I'll be watching the video several more times and work on building a more efficient swing.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am almost finished watching this, and it has had immediate impact on my entire game. I realized in one of the sections for common faults, I was not using my lead arm correctly in the backswing and then the chain reaction through the ball. All the lessons I have had, no one picked up on my lack of forearm rotation. Some teachers definitely are against it. Doesn't help "hold the lag" or whatever.

Anyway, one range session, working on this, and then played. Wow!! what a difference! I was hitting further and straighter than ever.

IMO, there is a lot of basics so far in this series, but the gold is in the common fault fixes. I cannot believe how this series has reset my understanding on the BS and DS!! I am now taking good divots again and feel like I am releasing the club instead of holding and turning. I finally am done with EE and the goat can get some relief!

This has been helpful. I haven't even finished it yet.

I would recommend this.

I still miss left when I miss. I think this has to do with turning at once, which was my fault. So, if Monte has any suggestion on that? I haven't had success with the fire the hips first drill, as I get stuck with the arms and top the ball....

But anyway, best $50 I have spent on golf in a long time!!!

Does anyone have a link to a video or article by Monte where he talks about a version of the no turn cast drill for driver.

I remember seeing it a while ago but can't find it. Essentially it talks about trying to release or intentionally flip the hands/wrists in the downswing.

David Duval and Monte have discussed this with each other in the past and both have similar ideas in this regard. Monte said he used to feel like he was hanging back and casting from the top when he was the longest.

Here’s a great video from Duval about feeling like your casting from the top that helped me hit my driver in the center and pretty much fixed my EE

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/gca-david-duval-driver-downswing-tips/