2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Official Taylormade M1 Driver Thread

Llortamaisey

Thanks for the feedback PS. I need to move my weight back some and try that. On the monitor the M1 KK was the best club for me against GBB, Titleist D3, and my G30 LS. Of course, I am interested in the G LS after reading all the Gear Trials. The GBB just spun too much for me as does the XR16's.

The hotmelt really makes the M1 feel and sound even better. I can't wait to try it with the weight all the way back and see what it sounds like. Playing Friday and will post something after.

how does the sound change? Does it get lower and softer? I really liked what it did to my 915D3

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I traded my Cobra Ltd back in and snagged a M-1 with the Rogue shaft in it. My spin numbers dropped from 3400 to 2700-2900 range. I pick up a lot more carry and my SS stayed in the 115 range. I did stick with the stiff Rogue instead of X flex. I like the way it felt better. Now I just need to dial in my direction setting to suit ball flight.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

Well I traded my Cobra Ltd back in and snagged a M-1 with the Rogue shaft in it. My spin numbers dropped from 3400 to 2700-2900 range. I pick up a lot more carry and my SS stayed in the 115 range. I did stick with the stiff Rogue instead of X flex. I like the way it felt better. Now I just need to dial in my direction setting to suit ball flight.

Wow, LTD was higher spinning than the M1? I would have not thought that. As an M1 owner, I am going to demo the LTD right now and I am hoping it is less fade biased than the M1.

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Wow, LTD was higher spinning than the M1? I would have not thought that. As an M1 owner, I am going to demo the LTD right now and I am hoping it is less fade biased than the M1.

The LTD had the Elements chrome shaft in it and yes I got higher spin numbers from it. Every once and a while it would throw a really low spinner in there but not consistently enough for me. For me the M-1 was 200-300 less rpm. From most reviews I've seen others have gotten a really low spinner thrown in with the LTD every once and a while too. Let us know what you find.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

I finally got a chance to hit then M1 driver today as I needed a long mental break from golf. I have not golfed since 3rd week in Sept and hit balls once since then so after 6-7 warm up drives I got a couple back to back impressive drives for me.

My normal ss is 105 and mid 150 ball speed 265 carry. The M1 I got back to back 104/157 speed 15* LA 2500 spin 272 carry. The ball feels explosive off the face.

WELL DONE TM!!!!

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Sad to report that my M1 is getting replaced by the King Cobra. I have the had the M1 for numerous rounds, cut it down to 44.75", had it hotmelted, and it still got beat by the King Ltd Pro today. Sucks...

Well, to be honest, I only went to the PGA SS to demo drivers because I have struggled with the M1 since I have had it. It seems too fade bias for my swing. I demo'd XR16, XR16 Pro, G30, G30 LS, Aeroburner, King Ltd, King Ltd Pro and stock M1 (same shaft I have). The King Ltd Pro won out...

I am so OCD about my bag and going to find it tough to add Cobra to my bag.

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Sad to report that my M1 is getting replaced by the King Cobra. I have the had the M1 for numerous rounds, cut it down to 44.75", had it hotmelted, and it still got beat by the King Ltd Pro today. Sucks...

Well, to be honest, I only went to the PGA SS to demo drivers because I have struggled with the M1 since I have had it. It seems too fade bias for my swing. I demo'd XR16, XR16 Pro, G30, G30 LS, Aeroburner, King Ltd, King Ltd Pro and stock M1 (same shaft I have). The King Ltd Pro won out...

M2 if your so OCD

Can't wait to get my M1 with Tour AD-BB 6x. Gonna be a monster.

Callaway AI Smoke Max TD 8.5 degree w/ Ventus TR Blue 6X

Callaway UW 17 w/Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.5

TaylorMade Rescue 11 19 degree X flex
Callaway AI Smoke 5-AW, Nippon Modus 120X
Callaway Raw Face Chrome, 52/58, Nippon Modus 125 wedge
Makefield putter

2024 Callaway Chrome Tour X

That's what I have and I love it!!!

917 D3 8.5 Aerotech TI Fiber 70<br />Callaway GBB Epic Diaman whiteboard X<br />Titleist 818 H1 18 Atmos Black X<br />Titleist 718 AP3 4-GW AMT white<br />SM7 Raw Vokey 52F & 58K<br />Scotty Cameron Laguna

Just pulled the trigger on an M1 with a Rogue Black 70x and separately ordered a Tour AD MT6x. I'm likely to cut down .25-.5 inch so now I'm wondering whether lead tape vs hotmelt vs trying to buy one more weight to put in the head

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

Sweet! I'm thinking about lofting up to a 10.5 since the Low-Low of the BB. Is that what you did?

Callaway AI Smoke Max TD 8.5 degree w/ Ventus TR Blue 6X

Callaway UW 17 w/Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.5

TaylorMade Rescue 11 19 degree X flex
Callaway AI Smoke 5-AW, Nippon Modus 120X
Callaway Raw Face Chrome, 52/58, Nippon Modus 125 wedge
Makefield putter

2024 Callaway Chrome Tour X

I think I saw it in another post, but does anyone know if the Slider weights fit in the M1? I'm thinking of cutting a half inch off and still need to add some weight. Any help would be great.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

Hmm. I ordered the cobra king f6+, just out of the blue to try. I too am hesitant with cobra in my bag.... I kinda feel like there is so much going on with the m1, I just want something simple. I still have the m1 though until I can see if it will hold up against some other prospects. When I hit the m1, I hit the @$!# out of it...though. I got to a par 5 in two the other day that I never have before, and I had a lob wedge on a downwind shorter par 5...I feel like I am getting close to figuring it out, but I just need to try some others here soon too.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I really love my M1 AD-MT 6X combo, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me and I have a Cobra LTD with HZRDUS 75 X coming....
I couldn't wait and ended up getting one myself. How long are you playing yours at? Do you know the swingweight? Thanks.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

I just want to bring a potato gun and some aqua net hairspray to the course. I'll finally see all my yardage numbers realized!
spud gun. Nice. Par fives would be par 3s

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

Sweet! I'm thinking about lofting up to a 10.5 since the Low-Low of the BB. Is that what you did?

I stayed at 9.5 and had it shortened 1/2...it's money! So solid and the ball flight is perfect for me

917 D3 8.5 Aerotech TI Fiber 70<br />Callaway GBB Epic Diaman whiteboard X<br />Titleist 818 H1 18 Atmos Black X<br />Titleist 718 AP3 4-GW AMT white<br />SM7 Raw Vokey 52F & 58K<br />Scotty Cameron Laguna

I really love my M1 AD-MT 6X combo, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me and I have a Cobra LTD with HZRDUS 75 X coming....
I couldn't wait and ended up getting one myself. How long are you playing yours at? Do you know the swingweight? Thanks.

Mine is stock length at 45.5, I had a midsize grip installed and 4-5 grams of hot melt put in the head and it's playing D4 right now, it's an awesome awesome combo, the hoe in me just couldn't help it hahah

I just bought one for the sh*ts and giggles, nice combo when I used the M9003x in it.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Mine is stock length at 45.5, I had a midsize grip installed and 4-5 grams of hot melt put in the head and it's playing D4 right now, it's an awesome awesome combo, the hoe in me just couldn't help it hahah

that sounds absolutely perfect. why not just a strip of tape? Looks and sound? Did you notice any difference in flex with the added headweight? I play standard grips in every club, but thinking of going midsize just on the driver. Hit my buddy's midsize gripped driver and it felt amazing. I don't have the strongest grip due to a pinkie tendon injury so trying every little tinker.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

If you dont like this iteration there will likely be a new one out in 6-9 months so it goes.

And we could cut the the number of pages in this thread in half if we did not have people making inane comments like this.

And even further if there wasn't 1-3 comments whining about the comments that they don't like, or that in some way vilify TM. It's as if some of you feel like you need to stand up for TM.

Newsflash - TM doesn't need any of you to defend them. They're doing just fine and laugh all the way to the bank on every new release.

Newsflash - We don't need people coming on and trashing products we like and want to discuss.

See I have no problem with someone coming on a trashing a club THAT THEY HIT

The fact that most people come into a thread like this and trash clubs simply because they say Taylormade on them is what is wrong. They have never even hit the club, or even held the thing, and they spew the same old CRUD about marketing, yada yada yada.

Waste of time and bandwidth. If you haven't hit the club yet how can you POSSIBLY know how it performs?

you sir are being logical. That doesn't fly in a forum like this.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

that sounds absolutely perfect. why not just a strip of tape? Looks and sound? Did you notice any difference in flex with the added headweight? I play standard grips in every club, but thinking of going midsize just on the driver. Hit my buddy's midsize gripped driver and it felt amazing. I don't have the strongest grip due to a pinkie tendon injury so trying every little tinker.

I feel midsize keeps me from flipping my hands at Impact which I have a tendency to do. But I just can't stand the look of lead tape on a driver haha. And I also love the sound of a hot melted driver. And I can't tell any difference in flex at all

I feel midsize keeps me from flipping my hands at Impact which I have a tendency to do. But I just can't stand the look of lead tape on a driver haha. And I also love the sound of a hot melted driver. And I can't tell any difference in flex at all

sold. As soon as my M1 and my MT6x arrive, having my buddy regrip and hotmelt that bad boy.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

OMG, how is this even a big deal??? It's like they crossed the R15 with a Fly Z+. I'm more enthralled with the press than the design. This is SO blah!

What another 27 yards isn't enough to entice you?

Well, that's what it would take for me to invest in a $699 driver or maybe just $499 or $399. I don't think they're trying to get people to drop what they bought six months ago.... this is for the guy who's got a 6 to 8 year old driver in his bag and is finally, at last, looking for something new. Doesn't that make more sense?

Everybody on Golfwrx always gripes about the short product release cycles from TaylorMade, Callaway and the others but they're not really expecting you to dump what you purchased only a few months before... they are introducing clubs for the guys who after eight years of hitting something that's "only okay" to buy something brand new and keep it for years. Simple, huh?

I get what you're saying and I agree to a point. For me, though, I really don't need another 27 yards but, if it's good, I might buy it eventually. I'm not against TM in principle. I bag many of their clubs and have for as long as I can remember because they are good. My issue is their over-the-top marketing. It's become so that as soon as I see their commercial start, I groan. I don't know what the value proposition is for this club besides the typical "NOW WITH MOAR DISTANCE!!!!" but if I am in the target audience, I would like to see less wizardry and more behind the curtain.

Congrats on being the only guy in the world who doesn't want 27 more yards.

I'd pay $1,000 for 27 more yards and show up before the store opened to do it :)

Agreed. That's two clubs less into the green. Especially important for ppl who don't hit it well over 300. If your ballspeed isn't already 160+, the gains could be even greater.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

I may have missed the answer but will there be a TP version?

No TP version at the moment, probably due to the fact that even the 'standard' version of the M1 has premium shaft options as standard, which in effect, was the only difference between the standard and TP versions for it's past Drivers in recent history anyway. But unfortunately, this only gives the consumer 1 price point option. £429 ($650) rrp in the UK, is just far too much I'm afraid. I hope there is some decent margins for the retailers to play with on that, because I just can't see it selling in any volume over here at that price point, sadly.

The only other difference btwn TP and non was face angle. Depending on the line, some of the regular versions (non Tour and non TP) had square to slightly shut face angle. The TPs had square to open face angle bias. The M1 is said to be square and from fitters who have measured many heads, that has been validated.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

For me personally, I prefer to know that there is no draw bias in the head since my death miss is a big high hook. I also want to order a specific face angle and exact loft. Retail just has too much varience from head to head to expect to get exactly what I need.

Good luck with funding this head for a fair price......past history says that you will pay about $800 to $1000 for a new head with specs on it and chances are it will need hot melt added to get to a playable head weight. Used ones will be about $600-$700 and you'll have no idea where the hot melt was inserted into the head and might not even get any specs.

Past history also shows that many of the Tour heads are indeed "not" tour serial numbered heads the first few months out on tour of a new model, but are retail numbered heads, but + stamped because they run out of Tour heads.

Tour heads are so overrated since FCT was introduced.....sure certain lofts never make it to retail like the AB 9 degree which make it a True Tour head, or the head size and or shape never made it to retail, like smaller fairway heads aka "smoothie", smaller driver heads V2's or like the FCT Silver SLDR.

Since FCT all my TM heads except for my current Silver SLDR were retail heads and never played any different from my Tour glued in heads because I was able adjust the face, loft and weight bias instead of taking a chance at buying a bent open head done with heat.

Tour heads of the M1 will be grossly overpriced with retail heads hitting the market in less than a month which means slightly used heads will be on ebay come the end of October. I'll take my chances based on past TM FCT offering that these heads will sit quite square and the player will make his own personal bias by using the FCT and the Front Rail as it is designed for.

I am more concerned about head weight and lie angles than I am actual loft and face angle these days from the TM retail heads.

I get your point but the only reason I would replace my R15 is to chase truly optimal launch numbers. The only way to do that is be able to choose exact specs, and set the club up precisely. Honestly I play a 9 degree stamped R15 with an actual loft of 9.1 degrees at 3 degress open faced. It's very close to optimal, but I need to knock down another 500rpm or so. I could do this at 7.5 degrees of loft, but would obviously also drop my launch angle. I know the 430 head will get closer, but I'll miss another fairway or 2 a round, and that's not worth it. If I switch, it's going to be to chase that optimal window and hopefully pick up a couple mph in ball speed. Since I am getting closer, I would like to really try for it with this head, and that means being able to order exact specs, and most likely going through 2-3 heads to determine exactly what those are. If I can pick up another 20 yards without losing accuracy, I'll gladly pay a couple thousand dollars to do so. That's a club and a half shorter into every driver hole and an additional element of intimidation to those I'm playing with.

That's pretty impressive. I'm only a 0 handicap, I'm not good enough to look that deeply into my specs. Not to mention my swing isn't the same every time and my impact on the face isn't the same every time. I can't tell if my driver is 8.5 or 8.6 degrees, and I'm not sure I would notice a difference. Not to mention the difference between 3 and 4 degrees open. The club lays on imperfect grass sometimes and loft/lie can be changed easily with just a few blades of grass. Good luck with your pursuit!

Obviously I'm talking optimal strikes, but certainly we don't do that everytime. :) that's why I want to stay 460cc, because I'm certainly not capable of flushing the driver on every strike. I would certainly consider myself a strong driver of the golf ball, and it's certainly part of the game I really enjoy. As for noticing .1 degrees of loft, that's silly. My reference to the actual loft was to state simply that i know what it is. Meaning, you could grab a retail 9.5 and measure 5 drivers, getting lofts of a degree either way, and certainly 2 degrees of loft will affect performance. I simply want to know, on my best days, that the equipment in my bag couldn't get any better for me. I assume most golfers would agree.

Totally agree. Knowledge is power. Finding out that my driver, which I thought was square at address was actually 6 degrees open was shocking. I realized, my fade/block wasn't necessarily a swing flaw, but due to a terrible setup for me. I stopped trying to change by driver swing and have now purchased one that plays square and I'll open the face angle a couple degrees.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X